Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

infernal machines posted:

well, the cars don't, mostly

Hmm, I wonder if they plan on putting anything else in these tunnels that might benefit from a breathable atmosphere.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
AI is going to completely replace all of us in less than five years and besides, the odds that we're living in a simulation is almost 1 so why even bother with figuring out how to supply oxygen into tht thing

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Goodpancakes posted:

This loving tweet annoys the poo poo out of me. It assumes the perfect use case scenario and compares it to the real use case of the subway.

Hilariously the technical achievement of keeping all those cars perfectly balanced at speed and delivering thorough put could also be applied to the subway.

The real use case of lower volume train lines. Busier lines during rush hour can easily hit 40k/hr, and some substantially more than that. And that is real world performance, not their idiotic 1car/second assuming zero gaps and going full speed; and oh we'll go ahead and assume that the car can hold 8 people and will actually do so rather than being used as SOV which is what their dream is.

Kraanerg posted:

WHy does it require the vehicles to be equipped with bumper-skates??! Just make a loving tunnel and drive through it! All these cars are going to be 100% fully automated next generation right? So why bother with a physical guidance appliance? Holy gently caress

It's amazing cuz they built it so there is a huge gap in the middle rather than just making it flat. Why? Makes no sense. And with the current incarnation all he has done is "invented" a road tunnel. Very disruptive.

Ytlaya posted:

The whole thing is insane. This is why it's important to emphasize that Musk isn't just egotistical or unstable (which seems to be the main "negative" media narrative), but is actually a truly stupid man. Like, stupid in the same way your dog is stupid.

edit: actually I'm pretty sure my dog wouldn't come up with an idea as stupid as this

There's WAY more problems than just this. Even if everything works as intended, it still wouldn't work. Cars would need to slow down before leaving the main tunnel for the elevators, and it would end up a total clusterfuck with any level of car volume that isn't trivial.

edit: Like, this idea would be improved if he literally just said "build roads, but underground." Yeah, it'd be the same as existing streets and car tunnels (and still dumber than a subway), but at least it wouldn't have the various problems associating with the tunnel only fitting a single vehicle.

Yeah, at this point with it just being a road in a tunnel it is pretty obvious how insufficient it would be at any of its design goals. And putting throughput aside, if people's cars are doing the driving including providing the power, what exactly is the benefit? I also doubt that it being set up that way would permit them to allow people to go 150mph, it seems like it would have to follow regular speed limits for that anyway. And even if it didn't, 150mph is the max for a Tesla, they're actually software limited to 130mph and they can't sustain that for any real amount of distance, especially if they're quickly accelerating.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The word "comparable" is doing some Saturn V - sorry, Falcon Heavy - levels of heavy lifting there. Dunno how big NY Subway trains are but they're certainly a lot larger than 97 stock on the Jubilee Line on the Underground (I choose this because the tunnels are about the same size as Elon's), which can carry over 30k passengers per hour.

Incidentally, the last fatal crash on the Underground was Moorgate in 1980. Since then the Underground has over 30 billion completed customer journeys. Hell even if you include deaths caused by station fires, terrorism, murder and let's go ahead and be extra-generous and get suicides in on the act too (because of course this won't happen with Teslas as everyone will be so happy with their choices) it still works out at less than one death per 20 million customer journeys. I don't think Tesla's entire fleet has racked up that many journeys yet.

it varies

the jubilee stick is about the same as the a division cars, but smaller than the b division cars

the tl:dr is that there were 2 separate private train companies running subway service in new york who each had different sized stock and bored out tunnels with radii

of course they both went out of business because of accidents and the city launching a municipal option and sticking the private companies at a rate they couldn't make money on

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Raldikuk posted:

It's amazing cuz they built it so there is a huge gap in the middle rather than just making it flat. Why? Makes no sense. And with the current incarnation all he has done is "invented" a road tunnel. Very disruptive.

the original idea of parking your car on a sled or whatever is still stupid but way more functional because 1) the skate or sled or whatever is attached to rails which are stable and capable of traveling at high rate of speed (maybe even charge your Tesla during the ride!) and 2) you could theoretically park multiple vehicles on a skate kind of like an on-ground ferry

I mean, even then, you've basically just re-invented the train but that's way more practical than... wtf is this? It's just Autopia.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The news is just breathlessly propagandizing for tesla today and it's nauseating.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Krinkle posted:

The news is just breathlessly propagandizing for tesla today and it's nauseating.

citylab tryin to mitigate their blowjob with the tweet text

https://twitter.com/CityLab/status/1075542390910406656

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I honestly bet any real engineers at the boring company have quit or died from alcohol poisoning out of dealing with el muskos dumb ideas. All thats left is the yes men that barely passed entry math.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kraanerg posted:

AI is going to completely replace all of us in less than five years and besides, the odds that we're living in a simulation is almost 1 so why even bother with figuring out how to supply oxygen into tht thing

This is entirely wrong.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Somfin posted:

This is entirely wrong.

Well, tell that to mr elon musk

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
sorry for reposting own tweets but i figure y'all might enjoy this

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1075531574601547779

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1075531931553579008

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1075556406970015744

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh yeah remember when Elon tried asking suppliers to give him refunds? How profitable is a rail spur when the loving idiot using it for fire hazard transport keeps asking for free shipping?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Katt posted:

What movie is this? :stare:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4849438/

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
almost 500 posts since I last clicked this thread, did something really funny happen?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

You talking about the little curb the side wheels ride on? Thats because they used a normal rear end TBM and it cuts round holes. If they want a flat bottom they either have to excavate the corners out down to the level of the bottom of the cylinder or pour a base and curb til its flat and wide enough. They went with the easy route and from the looks of it hired the worst goddamn concrete guys because that poo poo is wavy as gently caress.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Martout posted:

almost 500 posts since I last clicked this thread, did something really funny happen?

They unveiled their tunnel, guess what...it sucks.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

peepeepants posted:

wow, so simple. seems like they really thought about merging underground at 150 mph.

I'm the ridge vent

I know this just scratches the surface of the stupidity but:

For a while I worked as a first responder in a district with around 1000 commercial & institutional elevators. An average of 4 elevator cars with people in them got stuck each day. Maybe 7 or 8 more got stuck or malfunctioned in some way while empty. They all got an semi-emergency response, people extracted if needed, and then qualified repair people to get turned back on and fixed or verified working. They did not have 4000 pound cars riding in them, and they were not built in a hole with the floor at ground level right next to a garage door in a building expressly made to house an elevator but built by residential builders lmao. Better put an elevator-capable high-voltage electrician in your contacts too, those are easy to find everywhere. Do those costs get added to the overall cost of this poo poo versus mass transit?

There are reasons elevators aren't seen much in residential construction. Even as commercial structures I think car elevator suck rear end, and that's not even considering how dumb it would be to drive on surface roads just to get to the hole to the tunnel and it's presumably not on the way to your actual destination.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure if this got posted here but I didn't see it so.

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1075487729998290944

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VILKEM TO DE SCHLUBWAY

MEE EH TECH YER ARDER

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Late to the party on this dumb tunnel poo poo but I'm just laffin here.

They couldn't figure out their dumb rear end full auto pilot so they stopped selling it and just made private tunnels to steer the cars. Maybe Elon really is a genius? No firetrucks to collide with in a tunnel

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/a7j095/arrived_at_the_supercharger_in_the_middle_of_the/?utm_source=reddit-android

It's a dick move and they're probably magachuds but I still laughed anyway

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

did you just tweet verbatim stuff that was brought up months ago?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

you what will eliminate traffic? underground one-way, one-lane roads for single-occupancy vehicles!!! wow!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

brugroffil posted:

you what will eliminate traffic? underground one-way, one-lane roads for single-occupancy vehicles!!! wow!

when you remember that the idea was initially conceived, as the story goes, as a way for Elon—and Elon alone—to use to avoid traffic (and worse, dreaded personal interactions with poors on public transit) then the utter ridiculousness and impracticality of the whole thing kinda makes sense

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

love the new tube elon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A MIRACLE posted:

love the new tube elon

that bilbo pbf comic but it's Elon as the tube comes out the door

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

For a man obsessed with lithium, it's a wonder why he's not on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I know this is from 5 pages ago, but I just noticed all the regular spotlights on the wall on the left of the image which I guess is what they use when they're not running reporters through Musk's latest Folly.

Musk strung up lovely sci-fi lighting to try and hide how loving terrible everything was.

Speaking of, I'm still stunned over that concrete.

How deep is the tunnel? Do you need to make special mixes when working underground so that the concrete sets properly?

Because, you know, obviously theirs didn't.

EDIT:

infernal machines posted:

it might have cost 10 mil. it looks like absolute poo poo, it's tiny diameter, and according to boring co. they're using whatever the gently caress they dig up as aggregate for the concrete

which, if true, means that concrete has a lifespan of maybe a few years before it loving melts

Jesus loving Christ.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Dec 20, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

citylab tryin to mitigate their blowjob with the tweet text

https://twitter.com/CityLab/status/1075542390910406656

they certainly may be doing one or the other

I would've just told everyone the boring company is closed than do that poo poo. every single level, the track on the tiny tunnel was jaggy and bumpy as hell, it looked like an entrance to a rave you're going to die at, and to top it off he got in front of the whole class and explained his idiotic project and no one told Elon before today that it was dumb, because they'd be fired otherwise.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I will echo the previous question, what movie is this :stare: I can't stop watching

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

it’s gonna be great urbex next year

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pacra posted:

I will echo the previous question, what movie is this :stare: I can't stop watching

Life of Brian.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kraanerg posted:

when you remember that the idea was initially conceived, as the story goes, as a way for Elon—and Elon alone—to use to avoid traffic (and worse, dreaded personal interactions with poors on public transit) then the utter ridiculousness and impracticality of the whole thing kinda makes sense

He really did just want to build the Stonecutters tunnel.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pacra posted:

It's a Tamil (South Indian) movie called Baahubali 2.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it's gonna rule when they build the stupid tunnel thing for electric cars and like one crashes and then they all keep running into one another

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know the model of tunnel mole he bought? I see a bunch of people claim he invented it which is just hilarious

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

He really did just want to build the Stonecutters tunnel.

not even a joke, that’s literally it. it’s no wonder the concept doesn’t scale up to mass transit levels

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

orcinus posted:

They skipped it, and Elon - no joke - said the advantage of electric cars and locomotives is that you don’t need ventilation in tunnels.

Someone needs to throw a stinkbomb in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

belt posted:

Not sure if this got posted here but I didn't see it so.

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1075487729998290944

Holy poo poo his face is planet sized now.