Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

boy playing terraria solo on expert mode is, well, definitely for experts :suicide:

Go find your snow, make a boreal wood bow + a whole mess of frostburn arrows (if you find your evil first, make your bow out of shade/ebonwood). Ideally be done with this and have some basic npc housing up before nightfall. Consider exploring underground snow in hopes of getting a snowball cannon (the knockback is quite nice for keeping assholes off you). Once you get some bombs, go pop a couple orbs/hearts in your evil biome to get your arms dealer.

That should get you started.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dis astranagant posted:

Go find your snow, make a boreal wood bow + a whole mess of frostburn arrows. Ideally be done with this and have some basic npc housing up before nightfall. Consider exploring underground snow in hopes of getting a snowball cannon (the knockback is quite nice for keeping assholes off you). Once you get some bombs, go pop a couple orbs/hearts in your evil biome to get your arms dealer.

That should get you started.

oh i've done all that, in fact i've beaten the eye of cthulu and am currently decked out in crimson armor with a diamond staff for ranged attacks and the blood butcher for melee. but i cannot kill the brain of cthulu no matter how many buff potions i consume or how good an arena i set up, and skeletron is kicking my rear end so hard that i can't even get to his second phase.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Use the space gun on the brain and the skull. The meteor armor set makes it free. Make sure you have enough mobility to get over and around Skeletron without hitting him, whether that means jumping, platforms, grapples, minecarts, whatever.

EDIT: Or any piercing projectile. Unholy arrows, jester arrows, meteor shot + boomstick, whatever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brain is a jerk, yes. Luckily you don't actually have to kill it and his expert bag drop isn't terribly exciting. Might want to go make a corrupt world because Eater's is very nice.

For Skeletron, all you really need is a good ranged weapon, hermes boots, and the shield of cthulhu, with a 2 or 3 screen wide platform arena. Run away on your platforms, when you hit the end switch to another floor of them and use the shield's dash to kickstart your boots speed. With a little practice you should be able to do this without getting hit much.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

A little while ago I rented a server to try and get some friends into this game, but they completely bounced off it the first day (something I SHOULD have anticipated) and I already paid so I'm stuck with an empty server for a couple of months. I'm putting it up here just so it doesn't go entirely to waste until it runs out. Because it was originally for a small group of friends it doesn't have mods or anything and it's probably going to be mostly uncurated because I have no idea how to run a server, but if you're cool with that then come on down.

It's a freshly generated small world with no notable surface features, if it blows up let me know so I can gen a new one.
172.96.164.58:7780
password is goons backwards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Cicadas! posted:

A little while ago I rented a server to try and get some friends into this game, but they completely bounced off it the first day (something I SHOULD have anticipated) and I already paid so I'm stuck with an empty server for a couple of months. I'm putting it up here just so it doesn't go entirely to waste until it runs out. Because it was originally for a small group of friends it doesn't have mods or anything and it's probably going to be mostly uncurated because I have no idea how to run a server, but if you're cool with that then come on down.

It's a freshly generated small world with no notable surface features, if it blows up let me know so I can gen a new one.
172.96.164.58:7780
password is goons backwards.

I've never done this before. What do I put in as a server port?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mayveena posted:

I've never done this before. What do I put in as a server port?

When looking at an IP address the number after the colon is the port number (in this case 7780).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks!

E: I put in 7780 and clicked on Accept and nothing happened

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mayveena posted:

Thanks!

E: I put in 7780 and clicked on Accept and nothing happened

I was able to connect no problem so either it was down temporarily or you did something wrong on your end. :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

isndl posted:

I was able to connect no problem so either it was down temporarily or you did something wrong on your end. :shrug:

I'm sure it was me on my end as I have no clue what I'm doing....

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Did you copy paste the full IP string from the thread here into the game? If you did, delete the :7780 at the end, put 7780 in the port prompt and try again. Ran into that one myself.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I Said No posted:

Did you copy paste the full IP string from the thread here into the game? If you did, delete the :7780 at the end, put 7780 in the port prompt and try again. Ran into that one myself.

Yep that was it! In now thanks!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dis astranagant posted:

Brain is a jerk, yes. Luckily you don't actually have to kill it and his expert bag drop isn't terribly exciting. Might want to go make a corrupt world because Eater's is very nice.

For Skeletron, all you really need is a good ranged weapon, hermes boots, and the shield of cthulhu, with a 2 or 3 screen wide platform arena. Run away on your platforms, when you hit the end switch to another floor of them and use the shield's dash to kickstart your boots speed. With a little practice you should be able to do this without getting hit much.

thanks for the advice. i'll give this a try later today.

i already do have a corrupt world as well. in fact, i decided to generate worlds until i got a corrupt world with all the opposite ores of my primary crimson world, and somehow lucked out and got one on the very first attempt.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

So uh, I tried out making a Terraria LP and it's going pretty well? I'll just link the first one here. I really just want to see how my concept plays out but if people like it then that's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVvUi3qxZY

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

So uh, I tried out making a Terraria LP and it's going pretty well? I'll just link the first one here. I really just want to see how my concept plays out but if people like it then that's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVvUi3qxZY
... I don't have time to watch it right now but from the thumbnail, are you housing NPCs entirely in rooms you find underground?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got distracted after finding mushroom grass seeds, and now instead of fighting bosses and making progress, i'm ripping up a huge chunk of the overworld to turn into a massive mushroom biome

i don't even know why i'm doing it beyond the mushroom biome theme being the best song in the game

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Greater chance of finding the elusive truffle worm.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ask me about building an aqueduct across half the surface, and deciding to decorate it with green stucco :downs:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Zereth posted:

... I don't have time to watch it right now but from the thumbnail, are you housing NPCs entirely in rooms you find underground?

Yes. Subterrarian is about recovering the glory of the lost underground empire and fighting against the surface.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yes. Subterrarian is about recovering the glory of the lost underground empire and fighting against the surface.

Right, all the bad things are from the surface.

The only real deep boss below is the Wall of Flesh, which if you think about it, is just a glorified trash compactor triggered by throwing trash in the lava.
(Jungle is nature corruption from above. There's the Golem, but all the experienced players relocate that 'sun' alter back to the surface hellscape and fight him there.)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Kalas posted:

Right, all the bad things are from the surface.

The only real deep boss below is the Wall of Flesh, which if you think about it, is just a glorified trash compactor triggered by throwing trash in the lava.
(Jungle is nature corruption from above. There's the Golem, but all the experienced players relocate that 'sun' alter back to the surface hellscape and fight him there.)

Also we're the ally of Space, because Space keeps sending shooting stars and meteorites to try to kill the surface. Before I wrap up I want to make a tiny little biodome preserve of each biome in isolation and then pave with asphalt.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kalas posted:

There's the Golem, but all the experienced players relocate that 'sun' alter back to the surface hellscape and fight him there.
Well, you need a drop from the Golem to do that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Also we're the ally of Space, because Space keeps sending shooting stars and meteorites to try to kill the surface. Before I wrap up I want to make a tiny little biodome preserve of each biome in isolation and then pave with asphalt.

that's a neat gimmick

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

Well, you need a drop from the Golem to do that.
No, you can actuate the bricks under its altar and deactivate them to pick it up as soon as you can enter the temple.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's a neat gimmick

I hope I can figure out an NPC to dub the Ambassador From Space because then they can live on a sky island I can fortify. And by fortify I mean clad in meteor brick and build a death ray on the bottom.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

No, you can actuate the bricks under its altar and deactivate them to pick it up as soon as you can enter the temple.

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to walk around the temple and activate the bricks from the outside. Did they patch that?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Only to try and force the floor to be a certain thickness. It doesn't always work out and a huge component of a speedrun is whether the RNG rolled in your favor on that.

EDIT this has been changed a few times i'm not sure what's current

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 12, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Solumin posted:

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to walk around the temple and activate the bricks from the outside. Did they patch that?

They patched it so that you can't put actuators (or they don't just won't work) until you've beaten Plantera. So once you can enter the temple, you can do the actuator trick -- you don't need to actually enter the temple for that, but you need to be able to enter it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

They patched it so that you can't put actuators (or they don't just won't work) until you've beaten Plantera. So once you can enter the temple, you can do the actuator trick -- you don't need to actually enter the temple for that, but you need to be able to enter it.

Oh that's what the condition was changed to? That's probably the best way to solve it actually.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wasn't expecting anything like new biomes in 1.3.6 but we're getting an oasis!

The cattails and dragonflies are adorable~

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

There's barely space for as many biomes as we already have, unless this is taking the place of your obligatory non-antlion side surface sand?

Also you're loving right I'm gonna upload 10 hours of relaxing at the oasis.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a minibiome so it'll just make the regular surface desert less boring.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-oasis.73515/

Redigit posted:

If there is enough water within a certain distance, oasis plants will grow instead of cacti. The cattails will grow anywhere on sand if the water depth is right. Dragonflies will spawn anywhere near cattails.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fishing!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

There's barely space for as many biomes as we already have, unless this is taking the place of your obligatory non-antlion side surface sand?

Also you're loving right I'm gonna upload 10 hours of relaxing at the oasis.

What they need to do is add a 'wide world' option. Make the 3 options 50% wider than normal, with the biomes the same relative size compared to a normal world, so there becomes plenty of space.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Large World Enabler for Terracustom is the best option currently for larger maps.

Just don't go overboard or it'll run out of memory.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey I found a preview of a new ranged weapon
https://twitter.com/dressandgun/status/839494296600375296

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A friend asked about it, so I went looking and found this.

https://terraria.curseforge.com/projects/story-red-cloud

Remember that old Dark Souls, But Terraria adventure mod/map from 6 years ago? It works in the modern version of the game now!

EDIT: It's old-rear end Terraria. No changes from 1.2 onward have made it in. So adjust expectations accordingly.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 14, 2018

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I just remembered the Calamity mod, and decided to look at what might have changed in there over the last like 6-10 months. :ohno: Why do people think game design like this is good and cool? Why do they have a challenge to beat one of the hardest bosses period on Expert plus and on Hardcore just for a pet that will hit you for 500 damage if you go without light, which also spawns boss adds for extra gently caress yous? why did they make a drunk princess NPC that is also a reference to MLP apparently? Why create an underwater zone that nulls water breathing?

Why, just loving why?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

I just remembered the Calamity mod, and decided to look at what might have changed in there over the last like 6-10 months. :ohno: Why do people think game design like this is good and cool? Why do they have a challenge to beat one of the hardest bosses period on Expert plus and on Hardcore just for a pet that will hit you for 500 damage if you go without light, which also spawns boss adds for extra gently caress yous? why did they make a drunk princess NPC that is also a reference to MLP apparently? Why create an underwater zone that nulls water breathing?

Why, just loving why?

Well. gently caress you because the mod maker said so. And gently caress you again just because the first one wasn't enough.

But yeah I dont get it. It's not even fun challanging it's just loving retard levels of nuclear autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Well. gently caress you because the mod maker said so. And gently caress you again just because the first one wasn't enough.

But yeah I dont get it. It's not even fun challanging it's just loving retard levels of nuclear autism.

Yeah, about a year ago I did a run as a throwing based character, I was only able to beat the Calamity bosses that were there then because I had like 4 mods worth or overpowered gear which turned me into a bullet hell shooter the moment I threw so much as a knife. Now I'm not sure if that would work, because if you somehow get strong enough to do more than a certain amount of damage at once to the later bosses they just nullify the attacks outright.

Also, it was grindy as gently caress with its resources and drops. Most of which you didn't even get if you were on a normal world.