Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not the word choice that misleads people about the capabilities of car automation.

It’s Musk saying dumb poo poo and the press breathlessly reporting it that misleads them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Platystemon posted:

It’s not the word choice that misleads people about the capabilities of car automation.

It’s Musk saying dumb poo poo and the press breathlessly reporting it that misleads them.
The press is ignoring the details in favor of headlines? Holy poo poo when did this start?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Lol, I didn't know that Ford had done that. That's also pretty dumb.

However, again, you're splitting hairs about what the machines actually do versus what people think they do. People hear "co-pilot" and think "right, like he sits beside the pilot and they work together" but they hear "autopilot" and think "ah, the machine that flies the plane by itself." Co-pilot is psychologically less misleading than autopilot.

I blame Airplane!.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Yes, or the press just hyping poo poo to hell on their own to get clicks. You could call it Don't-loving-take-your-eyes-off-the-road-o-matic, and people would still abuse it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Can we stop pretending nothing is Teslas fault ever please? Like it's obvious the lawyers at Tesla are like noooo it's not automated driving while the marketing people are like gently caress yeah car drives itself amazing! Guess which is louder.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You guys weren't kidding when you said the Volt is a gateway drug to a full EV. I want to always be in electric mode. Luckily unless I'm visiting my mom or extended family I'll pretty much always have battery

Man, I'm excited to be able to get a Volt. I only have level 1 charging at work though so I won't be able to stay on ev mode. :ohdear: Supposedly my apartment complex is fixing up some level 2 stalls this year. They had them and then the company that serviced them stopped doing residential.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Mark Harris wrote a thing about Rivian: https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/20/an-inside-look-at-rivians-ev-ambitions-from-ai-batteries-to-electric-jet-skis/

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Westy543 posted:

Man, I'm excited to be able to get a Volt. I only have level 1 charging at work though so I won't be able to stay on ev mode. :ohdear: Supposedly my apartment complex is fixing up some level 2 stalls this year. They had them and then the company that serviced them stopped doing residential.

At least you'll be able to get half a charge at work?

Edit: That reminds me, When everyone at work was asking about my Volt, a couple mentioned the lights in our parking lot have outlets and that I should charge off of them. I...don't think that's allowed, but I guess I'll talk to management to be sure. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 20, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Edit: That reminds me, When everyone at work was asking about my Volt, a couple mentioned the lights in our parking lot have outlets and that I should charge off of them. I...don't think that's allowed, but I guess I'll talk to management to be sure. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

They’re probably for block heaters, so I don’t think you’ll have any problem technically, it’s permission that will be an issue.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah... my commute is like 40-45 miles (22 each way) so it'll cover one way at least. Though there isn't any shortage of public chargers here in Fremont so maybe I can get some extra mileage while at lunch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

Yeah... my commute is like 40-45 miles (22 each way) so it'll cover one way at least. Though there isn't any shortage of public chargers here in Fremont so maybe I can get some extra mileage while at lunch.

Volt has, what, like 50 miles of range (edit: I guess this depends heavily on the age of the vehicle)? That should recharge in like 12 hours on 120V (assuming 3-4 miles per hour of charging). Depending on how much driving you do outside your commute and how often you stay in in the evenings, you might be able to keep up electric-only and then get a full charge on the weekends. Or just start the week out all-electric and gradually use the gas more and more as the week progresses because you aren't able to fully recharge between commutes.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 21, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Westy543 posted:

In warm weather, and under 65mph speeds, 50 miles is no problem on a Gen2 Volt. I regularly get near 60 in summer, with the AC on! (The A/C barely registers, usually no more than 1% of total energy on a given full charge. Meanwhile the heater can use upwards of 20%)

In summer, and only country road driving (~45mph) I've been able to achieve 70 miles.

Edit: On 120v charging the Volt (assuming Gen2 here). A full charge actually takes around 15kWh due to charging losses. At the default 8A on 120v, (960 watts) it will take just over 15.5 hours. At 12A (1,440 watts) you are looking at around 10.5 hours.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 21, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh hey, I just remembered something I meant to ask. I've been charging on 8A mode at home. There were a bunch of scary warnings about how good the wiring in my garage is and how I could possibly catch it on fire if I use 12A charging. I'll be installing a new 240v line in spring so I can do L2 charging, but in the meantime is 12A really that stressful?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh hey, I just remembered something I meant to ask. I've been charging on 8A mode at home. There were a bunch of scary warnings about how good the wiring in my garage is and how I could possibly catch it on fire if I use 12A charging. I'll be installing a new 240v line in spring so I can do L2 charging, but in the meantime is 12A really that stressful?

Depends on your wiring and whats on your circuit, but 12A should be fine if you have a 15A circuit and nothing else.

If you are using an extension cord, or if you share that circuit with something else, then you might trip the breaker. The breaker should protect the wires in your house, so you are safe to try it.

Normal house wiring is 14 gauge, and that carries 15 amps, but you are only supposed to use 80% continuously, which is where the 12 comes from.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I went and sat in on a test drive with some friends earlier this week when they checked out a Hyundai Ioniq EV. Would be a great commuter/grocery getter. Plenty of poke for normal daily driving, and seemed well-built. Interior plastics look a bit cheap but I’m sure to keep the cost down (they’re going to go for about AUD 51-56k on the road depending on spec it seems) they had to do that.

No one pedal mode apparently which my mate was disappointed with, but nice strong regen is available depending on how you have it set (changeable with paddles). Incidentally, does anyone know if the brake lights usually come on with regen? The sales guy said they don’t but that seems a bit crazy to me if so on the stronger levels because we almost copped a semi trailer up the arse at one point...

Anyway, the dealbreaker for them was the lovely rear seat passenger headroom common to cars with sloping rooflines. Their 11 year-old son is probably going to touch the ceiling within a year the way he’s growing so it’s not going to be particularly great for him.

They also own a property which is far enough away that they can’t get there and back on one charge and there’s no house on said property yet so no solar panels and thus charging ability, so it looks like they’re going to go an ICE vehicle then hopefully switch to EV in a few years when the tech and charging infrastructure has matured a bit more.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

blindjoe posted:

Depends on your wiring and whats on your circuit, but 12A should be fine if you have a 15A circuit and nothing else.

If you are using an extension cord, or if you share that circuit with something else, then you might trip the breaker. The breaker should protect the wires in your house, so you are safe to try it.

Normal house wiring is 14 gauge, and that carries 15 amps, but you are only supposed to use 80% continuously, which is where the 12 comes from.

If my breaker box is telling the truth, the whole garage is on a 50 amp circuit, and only powers outlets and both garage doors

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m on a cross country road trip with my family using our new TM3, so far 1,100 miles in. We’re having a good time.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If my breaker box is telling the truth, the whole garage is on a 50 amp circuit, and only powers outlets and both garage doors

It isn't.

There will be a subpanel somewhere, with 15A breakers for the lights and outlets. The outlets will be on a 15A breaker, because a nema 5-15R (regular plug) has to be protected, and the 15 means 15A.

This is all moot if someone put a #14 wire to a 50A breaker, but doubtful.

If there is 50A in the panel for the garage, that means there is at least a #8 run to your garage, and probably 2 phases. This means you can easily find space for a 40A charger, and charge at level 2 (32A - there is that 80% again - 240V).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

blindjoe posted:

It isn't.

There will be a subpanel somewhere, with 15A breakers for the lights and outlets. The outlets will be on a 15A breaker, because a nema 5-15R (regular plug) has to be protected, and the 15 means 15A.

This is all moot if someone put a #14 wire to a 50A breaker, but doubtful.

If there is 50A in the panel for the garage, that means there is at least a #8 run to your garage, and probably 2 phases. This means you can easily find space for a 40A charger, and charge at level 2 (32A - there is that 80% again - 240V).

We've found weird things in my house, so it wouldn't surprise me. I did look for a sub panel, but I didn't see anything. Just a fuse box.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

does anyone know if the brake lights usually come on with regen?

They do on Teslas and should on most others, but perhaps the Ioniq doesn't for some reason.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Anyway, the dealbreaker for them was the lovely rear seat passenger headroom common to cars with sloping rooflines. Their 11 year-old son is probably going to touch the ceiling within a year the way he’s growing so it’s not going to be particularly great for him.

They also own a property which is far enough away that they can’t get there and back on one charge and there’s no house on said property yet so no solar panels and thus charging ability, so it looks like they’re going to go an ICE vehicle then hopefully switch to EV in a few years when the tech and charging infrastructure has matured a bit more.

Ioniq with better headroom and more range = Hyundai Kona. Not sure about delivery/release times in Australia, perhaps they can order now and get something else while they wait.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Ola posted:

They do on Teslas and should on most others, but perhaps the Ioniq doesn't for some reason.

Ioniq with better headroom and more range = Hyundai Kona. Not sure about delivery/release times in Australia, perhaps they can order now and get something else while they wait.

Yeah, but dealers often don’t know what the gently caress they’re talking about, let’s face it. For all I know the brake lights did come on, we didn’t get out and check.

They asked about the Kona, nothing is known yet about whether it will come to Aus, in what kind of numbers, or when.. they can’t take orders for them yet as it doesn’t exist in Hyundai’s system for ordering apparently.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Wouldn't a fuse box would be a sub-panel? Just with fuses instead of breakers?

Also, guy with outlets on the light poles at work, those are probably controlled by a switch inside the building somewhere and not just on all the time. Xmas lights, outdoor activities, and block heaters would be the logical uses, and management has to decide when to flip them on.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Wouldn't a fuse box would be a sub-panel? Just with fuses instead of breakers?

Also, guy with outlets on the light poles at work, those are probably controlled by a switch inside the building somewhere and not just on all the time. Xmas lights, outdoor activities, and block heaters would be the logical uses, and management has to decide when to flip them on.

I'm not very electrically inclined so I guess? And the poles do work all the time I think, someone used one for a tire inflator or something a while back no problem

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Weird that the Ioniq doesn’t, the Kona and Nexo both illuminate if you pass the 0.12G threshold. Same for most other EVs. It might be the law in fact.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

Weird that the Ioniq doesn’t, the Kona and Nexo both illuminate if you pass the 0.12G threshold. Same for most other EVs. It might be the law in fact.

It’s not (though it likely should be.) First-gen Volts don’t do it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Like I said, this is just what the dealer dude said, so it’s very likely incorrect! Not to mention it seems crazy not to have that feature..

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A co pilot can 100% fly/land/control the plane on its own while the pilot is off taking a poo poo or porking a flight attendant so it is actually a lot worse than autopilot which generally just keeps you going in a straight line and would probably not know to avoid crashing into a tree.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 21, 2018

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I went and sat in on a test drive with some friends earlier this week when they checked out a Hyundai Ioniq EV. Would be a great commuter/grocery getter. Plenty of poke for normal daily driving, and seemed well-built. Interior plastics look a bit cheap but I’m sure to keep the cost down (they’re going to go for about AUD 51-56k on the road depending on spec it seems) they had to do that.

No one pedal mode apparently which my mate was disappointed with, but nice strong regen is available depending on how you have it set (changeable with paddles). Incidentally, does anyone know if the brake lights usually come on with regen? The sales guy said they don’t but that seems a bit crazy to me if so on the stronger levels because we almost copped a semi trailer up the arse at one point...

I just got a flyer for some promotion where Hyundai is giving out $50 gift cards for doing a test drive. I would have liked to check out the Kona EV, but that won't come out until well after this thing expires (plus it seems they might not even bother ever selling it outside the CARB ZEV states).

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-not-for-usa/

Hopefully, the Ioniq EV would let me get at least somewhat familiar with what Hyundai is doing with EV technology, so that I can see if the Kona EV might be a worthy alternative to the Model Y (though it'd probably be over five years before I'm actually looking to buy anything, so who knows what might happen).

bird with big dick posted:

A co pilot can 100% fly/land/control the plane on its own while the pilot is off taking a poo poo or porking a flight attendant so it is actually a lot worse than autopilot which generally just keeps you going in a straight line and would probably not know to avoid crashing into a tree.

Besides, the words "autopilot" and "copilot" are probably more or less equal in terms of the risk of idiots misinterpreting them to mean "car will reliably steer itself while I screw around on my phone or sleep or masturbate or whatever".You know all the reports of people jamming stuff into their steering wheels to spoof the Autopilot "hands on wheel" sensor? There's a video of someone doing that with a 2014 Mercedes S-Class from back before Tesla even introduced Autopilot, and the Mercedes system was simply called Steering Assist:

https://www.motor1.com/news/73232/easy-hack-makes-mercedes-s-class-an-autonomous-car-video/

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Speaking of AP, I've noticed it seems to perform much better on the 3 vs the X. Not sure if it is due to newer hardware or perhaps it was the last software update improving things across the board.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

eeenmachine posted:

Speaking of AP, I've noticed it seems to perform much better on the 3 vs the X. Not sure if it is due to newer hardware or perhaps it was the last software update improving things across the board.

A bunch of Tesla owners are reporting greatly improved lane keeping / turning / auto pilot in general with the most recent update. I don't have autopilot so I don't know, but my car makes fart noises now and my 7 year old thinks it's the best thing in the world.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

I've noticed the AP performance has increased significantly from when I got it on my 3 sometime in September until today (keeps in the center of the lane of the highway even better and no longer encroaches on double lines in twisty roads where it use to). It also freaks out less frequently when seeing shadows of overpasses / overhead highway signs.

Completely unrelated to the first point, a friend of mine wants to buy an EV and was looking at a 2018 leaf. I know it still doesn't have the liquid cooling battery management system but has Nissan managed to remedy the battery degradation issues associated with the lack of thermal management or is still an unknown? Note he lives in a climate with extreme high and low temperatures.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Deathreaper posted:

I've noticed the AP performance has increased significantly from when I got it on my 3 sometime in September until today (keeps in the center of the lane of the highway even better and no longer encroaches on double lines in twisty roads where it use to). It also freaks out less frequently when seeing shadows of overpasses / overhead highway signs.

Completely unrelated to the first point, a friend of mine wants to buy an EV and was looking at a 2018 leaf. I know it still doesn't have the liquid cooling battery management system but has Nissan managed to remedy the battery degradation issues associated with the lack of thermal management or is still an unknown? Note he lives in a climate with extreme high and low temperatures.

No, the battery is the same and sometime in the "near" future they will switch the an LG battery similar to what the volt has with active thermal management.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So after renting a Buick Enclave for a week on a business trip (they offered, I paid for a midsize car) I am in shock that poo poo like this goes for $40,000+.

Considering a huge chunk of the model 3 is in the battery itself, there is no excuse for this garbage from other traditional car manufacturers.

- Cheap plastic.

- No radar cruise control (the base level corolla I rented a few months ago had this, wtf GM?)

- The screen is seriously poo poo tier. It looks to be 800x600. (720p screens are dirt cheep for OEMs, as I have made several products with them at over 1,000nit brightness levels, again, there is NO excuse for this screen.)

- Navigation isn’t standard. (They want you to use onstar navigation)

- The sound system is garbage.

- I forgot how terrible pumping gas is.

- The infotainment system is seriously some early 2010 poo poo.

- What in gods name was GM thinking with the shifter? Even the Tesla shifter is more sane than that stupid loving thing.

It seems like they just put Android auto and Apple CarPlay on the drat thing and stopped giving a poo poo otherwise.

If this is what passes for a mid tier luxury SUV today, it’s complete rear end and frankly quite an embarrassment.

Edit: Good things about the car:

9 speed automatic is nice.
It’s quiet.
It’s well built.
It gets “decent” gas mileage.
The seats are comfortable, but not as comfortable as the 3.
Plenty of headroom.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 22, 2018

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deathreaper posted:

Stay away from the leaf.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is crazy dumb speculation, buuuuuuuut...

Most of the lease-return EVs currently devalue something fierce. The i3 starts at like 45-55k and you can find the 14-15 models at like 18k.

Sooooooooo, any chance that will hit the EV Niros (all 30 of them) once we get to 2020-2021?

Because if I can snag a 15k Niro Touring then I can live with my sedan for a few more years.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FilthyImp posted:

Most of the lease-return EVs currently devalue something fierce. The i3 starts at like 45-55k and you can find the 14-15 models at like 18k.

Sooooooooo, any chance that will hit the EV Niros (all 30 of them) once we get to 2020-2021?

Because if I can snag a 15k Niro Touring then I can live with my sedan for a few more years.

If the Soul EV is representative you're probably in the right ballpark. Looks like 2016 models of those have lost about half their value at this point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

If the Soul EV is representative you're probably in the right ballpark. Looks like 2016 models of those have lost about half their value at this point.

That’s interesting. I’d expect the Model S to depreciate faster because it’s a silly luxury car, but I think that’s about where they are after 2 albeit low-distance years (12K miles in 28 months).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

It's possible, yeah. By then many more cars will be on the market with better specs, so it will probably take a fair hit.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

So after renting a Buick Enclave for a week on a business trip (they offered, I paid for a midsize car) I am in shock that poo poo like this goes for $40,000+.

Considering a huge chunk of the model 3 is in the battery itself, there is no excuse for this garbage from other traditional car manufacturers.

- Cheap plastic.

- No radar cruise control (the base level corolla I rented a few months ago had this, wtf GM?)

- The screen is seriously poo poo tier. It looks to be 800x600. (720p screens are dirt cheep for OEMs, as I have made several products with them at over 1,000nit brightness levels, again, there is NO excuse for this screen.)

- Navigation isn’t standard. (They want you to use onstar navigation)

- The sound system is garbage.

- I forgot how terrible pumping gas is.

- The infotainment system is seriously some early 2010 poo poo.

- What in gods name was GM thinking with the shifter? Even the Tesla shifter is more sane than that stupid loving thing.

It seems like they just put Android auto and Apple CarPlay on the drat thing and stopped giving a poo poo otherwise.

If this is what passes for a mid tier luxury SUV today, it’s complete rear end and frankly quite an embarrassment.

Edit: Good things about the car:

9 speed automatic is nice.
It’s quiet.
It’s well built.
It gets “decent” gas mileage.
The seats are comfortable, but not as comfortable as the 3.
Plenty of headroom.

That 9HP is a bad gearbox, and it’s a rental car spec GM, of course it’s poo poo. You don’t think rental car companies order fully specced cars do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

That’s interesting. I’d expect the Model S to depreciate faster because it’s a silly luxury car, but I think that’s about where they are after 2 albeit low-distance years (12K miles in 28 months).

"Used Kia" still has a stigma to it even though they've been solid cars for a decade-ish at this point.

The Soul EV also has some of the "Leaf factor" to its depreciation because the battery pack is air cooled.