Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Real question: What does homebrew even do anymore that isn't piracy, outside of save backups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Emulators, I guess? But yeah, homebrew is ultimately almost all about piracy these days, we don't really have need for the bonuses we once did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Emulation is great

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

The PC streaming to switch seems cool, gonna try that out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Emulation is the only reason I bought a switch. My friends and I are still stuck in the nineties.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

WilliamAnderson posted:

The PC streaming to switch seems cool, gonna try that out.

This is actually really cool, and I'm interested to see how it pans out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

This is actually really cool, and I'm interested to see how it pans out.

It works fine on the Vita so it will probably work fine on the Switch too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagine if someone got PS4 remote play working on Switch

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

univbee posted:

Emulators, I guess? But yeah, homebrew is ultimately almost all about piracy these days, we don't really have need for the bonuses we once did.

I use it to put the physical games I purchased on a hard drive. Digital games are somehow still almost always more expensive than the ones at retail. Maybe Nintendo should look into that.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
You can always stream a switch emulator from your PC to your switch!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And More posted:

I use it to put the physical games I purchased on a hard drive. Digital games are somehow still almost always more expensive than the ones at retail. Maybe Nintendo should look into that.

Never going to happen, publishers by and large don't want games to be cheap, retail just suffers from market forces that digital never does (e.g. needing to clear shelf/warehouse space).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Takoluka posted:

Real question: What does homebrew even do anymore that isn't piracy, outside of save backups?

Cheat codes?

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how things fall apart with infinite time on Katamari.

And had I hacks at the time I played Xenoblade, I would've cut the heck out of some of its tedium.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

Game mods.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hammer Bro. posted:

Cheat codes?

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how things fall apart with infinite time on Katamari.

And had I hacks at the time I played Xenoblade, I would've cut the heck out of some of its tedium.

I've said it before and I'll say it fifty times more, Skyward Sword on a hacked wii with the stamina bar and hints disabled was hands down the best game in the series up until breath of the wild

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
There was a mod for Donkey Kong Country Returns that mapped waggle to a button and it was great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

There was a mod for Donkey Kong Country Returns that mapped waggle to a button and it was great.

Yeah it's called the 3DS version :laffo::lol::roflolmao:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RandomFerret posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it fifty times more, Skyward Sword on a hacked wii with the stamina bar and hints disabled was hands down the best game in the series up until breath of the wild

I always wanted to play the hacked version. I imagine if they ever do a re-release, it will copy all the quality of life fixes from the hacked version.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Red Metal posted:

Game mods.

Are there mods for Skyrim? Or are they different kind of mods? The only thing keeping me from getting Skyrim is that I have grown to need certain mods when playing that game.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Can someone give me some links or something for a quick run down of how to hack my 3DS XL? I was using a Gateway (:doh:) for a while, and want to upgrade so I can play newer games. My firmware is currently something low, 4.4.0-10U. I thought I restored my NAND to factory settings but I'm pretty sure that's a GATEWAY firmware. I dunno what to do.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 20, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

3ds.guide?

4.4.0-10U is an actual 3DS system software level.

On the other hand, if you let Gateway gently caress with your firmware you may want to double-check with the assistance of GBAtemp that it didn't do actual damage to your firmware.

Books On Tape posted:

Are there mods for Skyrim? Or are they different kind of mods? The only thing keeping me from getting Skyrim is that I have grown to need certain mods when playing that game.

Romhack-level. Not sure people even have a handle on Skyrim Switch's internal file format yet, let alone a 'Hello World'-style esm/esp mod for it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

dont be mean to me posted:

3ds.guide?

4.4.0-10U is an actual 3DS system software level.

On the other hand, if you let Gateway gently caress with your firmware you may want to double-check with the assistance of GBAtemp that it didn't do actual damage to your firmware.

Thanks, I'm following the guide and think I've got what I need.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I just hacked my Galaxy 3DS XL and wow that was a process. Tedious as hell but that 3DS.guide works perfectly when followed. Everything seems to have went well. I’m able to run SNES9X and a couple of my old GBA games.

Now that I finished that is there any housekeeping guides to clean things up or neat stuff to do?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Had my switch go blackscreen during Diablo, PC wouldn't even recognise it in RCM so I had to disconnect the battery to fix it, it's a launch day system so I'm hoping it isn't faulty

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Can you access local online play with a rooted switch? A couple pages back people were saying the dock doesn't work when rooted either. Is that still true?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't think the dock thing has ever been true outside of maybe some weird edge case.

Haven't tried to do local wireless with the Switch but I can't conceive of a reason why it wouldn't work -- I think all of Nintendo's API calls are still available, minus the ones they've gone out of their way to stub or re-implement.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I think most dock-related issues should only be relevant to running Linux, not running CFW. Us Linux users still don't have sound through internal speakers or 3.5mm headphones yet either (among several other issues though many have been resolved over time)

That is literally the only reason I haven't started using my Switch for emulation using Lakka.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got my 3DS XL all homebrewed up now, just put SNES9X and some GBA games. Do I need to worry about trying to go online for Mario Maker? like will I get banned or is that not a thing on 3DS?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
If it is a legitimate copy, it should be no issue. If it is pirated I'm not entirely sure as I haven't run any pirated software online since the major changes to the CDN and firmware to curb piracy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I've got my 3DS XL all homebrewed up now, just put SNES9X and some GBA games. Do I need to worry about trying to go online for Mario Maker? like will I get banned or is that not a thing on 3DS?

It’s hard to say. Some people like you get banned while some people loaded with :filez: don’t. There’s risk going online with CFW no matter what, it seems like.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What are my options if I have a hacked 3DS and I want to use cheat engines to play legitimately-purchased games? Latest thing I found was months old on reddit, something called sharkive. Is that still the current recommendation if I want to play Etrian Odyssey 4 without weeks of grinding?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Grundulum posted:

What are my options if I have a hacked 3DS and I want to use cheat engines to play legitimately-purchased games? Latest thing I found was months old on reddit, something called sharkive. Is that still the current recommendation if I want to play Etrian Odyssey 4 without weeks of grinding?

Luma3ds 9.1 and up have gateshark cheat support. Sharkive had some cheats that weren't tested last time I used it a couple of months ago.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a good way to take screenshots on the 3ds besides Luma debug commands? Am I going to have to rip my SD card out every time I want to upload screenshots?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Does anyone know how to get NDS files to load with TWLoader? Whenever I load a rom with it, it does the safety warning screen and then gives me double blank white screen and nothing happens. I know there are games that aren't compatible, but I don't know what, and I'd assume most mario games would be compatible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CascadeBeta posted:

Am I going to have to rip my SD card out every time I want to upload screenshots?

You could FTP them off

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Is it possible for the first post to be updated for the rooting guides for each console? The info seems a bit old now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, if someone can provide it, I'll put it in. I'll admit I'm not up to date on it, myself

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm interested in hacking my Switch solely for emulation purposes. If I just use Lakka and nothing else (so no cfw or homebrew) what are the chances I get banned?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kaethela posted:

I'm interested in hacking my Switch solely for emulation purposes. If I just use Lakka and nothing else (so no cfw or homebrew) what are the chances I get banned?

Very very low, when you never touch the Horizon OS. Can't rule it out completely, but it's as safe as it gets when you don't boot into Nintendo's firmware at all to do your thing, which i assume Lakka doesn't (it's one of those linux packages, right?)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Very very low, when you never touch the Horizon OS. Can't rule it out completely, but it's as safe as it gets when you don't boot into Nintendo's firmware at all to do your thing, which i assume Lakka doesn't (it's one of those linux packages, right?)

Correct, it's a linux thing so in theory it wouldn't interact with Horizon at all. I buy most of my Switch games through the eshop, so I'm a tad paranoid about getting banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lemme know if the tech has progressed, but I was under the impression that Lakka (and other Switch Linux attempts) weren't terribly convenient yet.

Like no sound support and only detached joycons inconvenient.