Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the McMahons FINALLY being back in charge?
This poll is closed.
Oh thank God, FINALLY! It's been so long! 5 5.00%
Who? It's been so long I forgot who they are! 1 1.00%
Is Jack Tunney okay? 44 44.00%
.... THE BIG DOG! 50 50.00%
Total: 100 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Marmaduke! posted:

I actually had to Google "Royal rumble winner 2018" last night as although I knew it was Nakamura, I just couldn't trust my memory. Has there ever been such a bad year for a RR winner in the modern era?

It was a really, really good Rumble at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Von Linus posted:

Yeah but it was pretty awful, in the opener, and no one liked it. A Bad Event.

I loved it just for the reaction of everyone.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
18 seconds ruined Sheamus as a face, but the Bryan/Sheamus 2/3 falls match is probably the best match of Sheamus's career. But then he got stuck in a never-ending feud with Del Rio.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dromal phrenia posted:

There's another one too! I was wondering where they got that last clip for Charlotte in the previous clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0tymHAiYw

hahaha Alexa's reaction to hearing what the challenge is

"Oh no"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on one hand we have a good character with passable mic skils who gets simpathy for the crowd because her in ring career ended abruptly on the other hand we have that fat gently caress fail idiot son of the owner of the company. who shouldnt be on loving tv anymore?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ThePariah posted:

But then he got stuck in a never-ending feud with Del Rio.
someonedo the needful please tia

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
If they do Ronda/Becky or Ronda/Becky/Charlotte in the WM main (which I hope they do), I hope they feel like they have more leeway to do unexpected men's matches. I feel like I've heard fewer rumors about part-timers coming back this year, so hopefully that means we'll have a fresher card overall (we won't).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

There's another one too! I was wondering where they got that last clip for Charlotte in the previous clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0tymHAiYw
lol at all the stephanie bullshit in this vid

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DoctorGonzo posted:

on one hand we have a good character with passable mic skils who gets simpathy for the crowd because her in ring career ended abruptly on the other hand we have that fat gently caress fail idiot son of the owner of the company. who shouldnt be on loving tv anymore?

hes the Best In The World, are you questioning wwe's talent evaluation skills?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
At this point I don't want to see any god drat authority figures/commissioners/GMs in WWE for at least the next 20 years, but if they must be around, Daniel Bryan and Paige were good. Faces who were unobtrusive and stayed out of storylines for the most part, just focused on making quality match-ups.

I'm hoping the rumors of FOX wanting a more sports focused product out of Smackdown are true and they actually have some sort of ranking system or method of victories leading to title shots, rather than just random matches caused by people calling each other out or GM vendettas. There's absolutely no reason an authority figure needs to be a regular character at all.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pointless weeaboo Shave Seltzer has released his snowflakes:

Shave Seltzer posted:

Buddy Murphy (c) vs. Cedric Alexander for the Cruiserweight Title 3.5
Elias vs. Bobby Lashley in a guitar ladder match 2
R-Truth & Carmella vs. Jinder Mahal & Alicia Fox in the MMC Final 1.5
Sheamus & Cesaro (c) vs. New Day (Kofi & Xavier) vs. Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles 3.25
Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin in a TLC match 1
Natalya vs. Ruby Riott in a tables match 2
Finn Balor vs. Drew McIntyre 3.25
Randy Orton vs. Rey Mysterio chairs match 1.5
Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Nia Jax for the Raw Women's Title 3.75
Daniel Bryan (c) vs. AJ Styles for the WWE Title 4.75
Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose for the Intercontinental Title 3
Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka in a TLC match for the Smackdown Women's Title 4.5

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I thought Paige was stepping away from TV to go do promo for her movie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hahahaha WWE main roster is never getting another 5 star match.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Just lol at Seth/Dean getting 3 stars

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

drat, if AJ/DBry didn't end on a roll-up, one wonders...

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dango Bango posted:

Dean stretches out his fist, Seth wonders if he should reciprocate...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

drat, if AJ/DBry didn't end on a roll-up, one wonders...

If they were wwe midcard castoffs having the match in Japan it would have been 13 stars, and the corrupt weeaboo Shave Seltzer would be cashing another check.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

in a vacuum it was fine, just the context that made it suck so hard

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

jesus WEP posted:

in a vacuum it was fine

Is that really how matches are rated tho?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Is that really how matches are rated tho?

That is 100% not how Dave rates matches. Also he absolutely slated every single thing about that match, not just the context.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the match sucked. the guys in it are cool and they did a couple of cool moves, but the match mostly sucked, made no sense, and was long, plodding, and boring. it was two triple h's wrestling each other. whoever said that, that's exactly what it was. whoever booked it did a very bad job at their job on sunday.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roll-ups are good

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Flash pinfalls are better than finishers in a lot of ways, because I kind of like not immediately knowing when a match is going to end.

What'd be better is if someone who had a lot of good looking signatures (Like Seth Rollins, for instance), actually finished matches with all of them from time to time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Veryslightlymad posted:

Flash pinfalls are better than finishers in a lot of ways, because I kind of like not immediately knowing when a match is going to end.

What'd be better is if someone who had a lot of good looking signatures (Like Seth Rollins, for instance), actually finished matches with all of them from time to time.

That's a missed opportunity with No DQ matches a lot of times. You know that transitional move into chairs? You can end a match on that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Didn't Seth win recently against Dolph with the Falcon Arrow Superplex? Maybe it was just a fall in the Iron Man match. That was cool.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Didn't Seth win recently against Dolph with the Falcon Arrow Superplex? Maybe it was just a fall in the Iron Man match. That was cool.

No, he legit won.

Also the match sucked rear end and consider the source.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Personally I'd switch the ratings for Dean vs. Rollins and Natalya vs. Ruby. In the latter the storytelling at least reflected the established emotional stakes; you got the sense that Ruby wanted to psychologically destroy Nattie, you got the sense that Nattie was really annoyed at Ruby, the story made sense. (And the Jim table turned out to be a sneaky way of symbolically having Jim stood at ringside for the match, which I think is actually pretty cool.)

On the other hand, Seth and Dean went into a match establishing it as a hideous blood feud with a championship on the line and then handed in a match which came across as the sort of filler which might pad out a patch on Raw the writers didn't have any particularly clear plan for.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

i actually agree. even if its not like a huge upset like juice robinson beating kenny omega or something, if its more even like bryan/aj i still like it. they had a great match, had a clean finish, and it came down to bryan's technical skill winning out after a long, even match.

also, aj is someone who wins with multiple things, the forearm, calf crusher, not so much the styles clash anymore, but sometimes.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

shiksa posted:

also, aj is someone who wins with multiple things, the forearm, calf crusher, not so much the styles clash anymore, but sometimes.

At Mania, even!

Also Liv Morgan going through a table was more fun than anything, literally anything, that happened during Ambrose/Rollins

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just wanna remind all the Charlotte haters that she's main-evented two PPV's recently and both matches were match of the year candidate quality

Not only did she hold up her end against the always rad Becky and Asuka but she takes the sickest bumps and killed herself in both matches to make them great

Ember Moon is still my favorite wrestle lady though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WWE main roster MOTYC.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The only 2018 NXT match the Charlotte/Becky LWS match isn't better than is Gargano/Almas

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just wanna remind all the Charlotte haters that she's main-evented two PPV's recently and both matches were match of the year candidate quality

Not only did she hold up her end against the always rad Becky and Asuka but she takes the sickest bumps and killed herself in both matches to make them great

Ember Moon is still my favorite wrestle lady though

Like 80% of all the best WWE women's matches involve Charlotte getting her rear end kicked

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Like 80% of all the best WWE women's matches involve Charlotte getting her rear end kicked

"But she doesn't deserve the push she gets" the voices cried out as she continued to put on great matches where she destroys her own body for their entertainment

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

The only 2018 NXT match the Charlotte/Becky LWS match isn't better than is Gargano/Almas

Then why doesn't it have 5 stars?

Checkmate nerd.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

D.N. Nation posted:

Eh, there's a few others out there that beat it. The 6-man ladder match alone is a better spotfest.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"But she doesn't deserve the push she gets" the voices cried out as she continued to put on great matches where she destroys her own body for their entertainment

To be fair, there are lots of talented women on the roster these days, and as much as I love Charlotte it is annoying to see her win the title for the 37th time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IMO Gargano/Ciampa I and that ladder match would've been a lot better if you trimmed 5 minutes off of each. As is, I was exhausted at the end of both, and not in the best way.

But all these matches are great, mind

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Kimoa Kid posted:

To be fair, there are lots of talented women on the roster these days, and as much as I love Charlotte it is annoying to see her win the title for the 37th time.

Charlotte is great and would be much better received if there were more PPV opportunities for women than each brand's title match. She's a great wrestler and I want to see her on the card but not at the expense of all the great women who haven't had a PPV showcase all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That's a fair point and while I agree that more stars need to be made and pushed at least she still goes out there and earns her spot each time unlike the majority of the perma-push choices Vince makes