Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The Chaconne is fun on the mandolin too, the arpeggios really pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3FUwJpCAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
-The forums philistine wanders into the thread:

Has anyone ever posted Frederik Magle?

because man I love this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk1_w5Qed3A

Especially the pause and then the frigging earthquake at 1:43.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Happy 100th birthday, Leonard Bernstein.

Mambo and America are two of the most exciting dance sequences on film. West Side Story is a beautiful movie, I could pause the movie any moment and make a poster out of it and put it on my wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2igZexpMs

I love how in Mambo the dance begins with the squarest music possible. Also that camera movement when Riff throws his jacket is so good. Mambo loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kokbJvSEMUY

Here's Dudamel's take on Mambo (the tempo marking in the score is simply "fast")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEs8yqhavtI

I love Jose Carerras, but casting him as Tony in the WSS recording with Bernstein is kind of bananas. Makes for some funny outtakes though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKZlcidbms

Here's a nice arrangement of Simple Song from his Mass that I did in the Spring. It's very beautiful. His Mass has some really cool moments, though I never really cared for the staging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6XgVJMsWk

And here's the man himself conducting the overture to Candide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn5bhJ5YX6U

From Candide, Make Our Garden Grow with Jerry Hadley, Renee Fleming, Samuel Ramey, and Frederica von Stade (loving hell, that's an amazing cast).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlnE25aJbU

If anybody is new to classical music, his Young People's Concerts are a great primer for ANY age. There's a whole trove of Bernstein videos on YouTube from his Harvard lectures to conducting masterclasses.

Thanks, Lenny.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My orchestra is playing Finlandia for our next concert and how have I, a French horn player, literally never heard this piece before? It loving rules.

https://youtu.be/F5zg_af9b8c

zenguitarman posted:

And here's the man himself conducting the overture to Candide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn5bhJ5YX6U

Overture to Candide is great, we played my junior year of HS (technically the arrangement for concert band) and it was a lot of fun. Also the actual book Candide should be required reading in today's world.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My god, Beethoven Op. 135. My dear departed grandfather used to rave about his string quartets, particularly the late ones, saying they were the ultimate in music (a view I've seen repeated elsewhere), but I'm only now coming round to really giving them some time. 135 is a bit smaller scale than some of the other late ones, but it's just a delight, in particular the gorgeous slow movement and the finale, whose various themes (including the "Must it be; it must be!" refrain) keep swimming around my head. Life affirming.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 18, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They are all excellent, but the fifteenth, Op. 132, especially the third movement is one of my very favorite pieces of music. It was written as a sort of thanksgiving after he had recovered from some illness, but it has always seemed to me like music written for a departed loved one who’d suffered from a long illness or something. To me it has this great sense of loss and sadness, but also an acceptance or solace within that loss. It moves from hauntingly sad to sort of triumphant and then back to a sadness of sorts. Sort of ‘I miss my friend horribly and hate for him to have died but I’m glad he’s not in pain anymore, but then back to I still miss him and wish he were here’ and ends sort of still a little sad. Like much of Beethoven, it makes me feel a lot of feelings.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are all excellent, but the fifteenth, Op. 132, especially the third movement is one of my very favorite pieces of music. It was written as a sort of thanksgiving after he had recovered from some illness, but it has always seemed to me like music written for a departed loved one who’d suffered from a long illness or something. To me it has this great sense of loss and sadness, but also an acceptance or solace within that loss. It moves from hauntingly sad to sort of triumphant and then back to a sadness of sorts. Sort of ‘I miss my friend horribly and hate for him to have
died but I’m glad he’s not in pain anymore, but then back to I still miss him and wish he were here’ and ends sort of still a little sad. Like much of Beethoven, it makes me feel a lot of feelings.

This sounds similar to how I would describe the late piano sonatas. Especially the final movement of the 32nd sonata, Op. 111.

It's bitter-sweet in a sort of "it's over now, but we had some good times" kind of way.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
It's part of what makes Beethoven so ridiculously amazing - the comprehensive expression of the human condition in his works, not to mention the sheer articulacy with which he expresses his supremely broad emotional palette, whether composing for a full orchestra, or the relatively pared down musical environment of a quartet or solo piano.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are all excellent, but the fifteenth, Op. 132, especially the third movement is one of my very favorite pieces of music. It was written as a sort of thanksgiving after he had recovered from some illness, but it has always seemed to me like music written for a departed loved one who’d suffered from a long illness or something. To me it has this great sense of loss and sadness, but also an acceptance or solace within that loss. It moves from hauntingly sad to sort of triumphant and then back to a sadness of sorts. Sort of ‘I miss my friend horribly and hate for him to have died but I’m glad he’s not in pain anymore, but then back to I still miss him and wish he were here’ and ends sort of still a little sad. Like much of Beethoven, it makes me feel a lot of feelings.

The violin part in II, Allegro ma non Tanto about 5:50 in sounds like angels conversing. Like "Hold on LvB, here's the thing..."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think the overture to 'The Magic Flute' is one of the most delightful pieces of music-along with the rest of the opera-ever written and want to expand my opera listening beyond just Mozart. I really love Handel-I've been listening to the 'The Messiah' the past few nights-and someone told me once that he wrote some good operas. Any suggestions? Or just other good classical/18th century operas? Call me a philistine, but I just don't love romantic/post-Beethoven stuff so much.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Not sure when it’ll be recorded, but I just saw Rufus Wainwright’s new opera, Hadrian, at the Canadian Opera Company. The start and end were pretty laborious but the middle two acts had a number of really stunning pieces. There’s a fabulous interlude between the first and second acts depicting Hadrian’s travel back in time that wa staged with a massive stream of red sand pouring into the middle of the stage, which I can imagine becoming a standard. Whatever Wainwright’s next opera is, it’s probably going to be incredible.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think the overture to 'The Magic Flute' is one of the most delightful pieces of music-along with the rest of the opera-ever written and want to expand my opera listening beyond just Mozart. I really love Handel-I've been listening to the 'The Messiah' the past few nights-and someone told me once that he wrote some good operas. Any suggestions? Or just other good classical/18th century operas? Call me a philistine, but I just don't love romantic/post-Beethoven stuff so much.

Händel wrote more than 40 operas iirc. Maybe start with Giulio Cesare, that's the most famous one. Baroque opera is mostly Händel though, the only others that I can think of right now are Purcell (Dido and Anaeas) and Pergolesi (La Serva Padrona). If you want to go even earlier there's Monteverdi of course (Orfeo, Incoronazione di Poppea).

For classical you could try Gluck (Orfeo ed Euridice, Iphigénie en Tauride) or maybe Haydn? But almost all operas from the second half of the 18th century that are regularly performed are Mozart. And then there's Fidelio of course, I don't know if you know that one, but you should, it's amazing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aJHZ7LBMc

I saw Lutoslawski's 3rd symphony yesterday and it's pretty cool. Highly recommended, even to people who don't usually listen to contemporary music. And I continue to appreciate the approach of getting people to listen to modern/contemporary music by adding a piece like this to an otherwise Classical or Romantic programme (Bruckner and Chopin in this case), because this is something I wouldn't ever have made an effort to hear in a concert, but I enjoyed it very much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

I discovered Gustav Holst just a few days ago and well hello do I love Jupiter from his Planets suite. Naturally it was performed by a local orchestra... last year. And I missed it. :negative:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

I discovered Gustav Holst just a few days ago and well hello do I love Jupiter from his Planets suite. Naturally it was performed by a local orchestra... last year. And I missed it. :negative:

Don't worry about it too much, it's on pretty regular rotation with most civic orchestras. It should be back around in a few years.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

XBenedict posted:

Don't worry about it too much, it's on pretty regular rotation with most civic orchestra. It should be back around in 11.9 years.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

:dadjoke:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Since there's like a hundred of them, what are some of the best/your favorite Haydn symphonies? And is there a good recording/collection of all of them?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Since there's like a hundred of them, what are some of the best/your favorite Haydn symphonies? And is there a good recording/collection of all of them?

There are what look to be some surprisingly affordable complete collections on Amazon, but I can't tell if it's downloadable mp3 or actual CDs. Adam Fischer & the Austro-Hungarian Orch. which is a well-liked rendition.
For the life of me, I don't know why the world's biggest online retailer can't at least offer lossless music. It doesn't have to be 24bit/ 96Khz, but that would be nice and they could certainly handle it. The fucks.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The ones with nicknames are usually pretty great - probably because they got the nicknames for being repeatedly performed and likable. Of them my favorites are no. 53 L'impériale, no. 22 The Philosopher and no. 104 London

Of the nameless symphonies nos. 68 and 24 are my favorites.

There aren't many who have bothered to record the entirety of the symphonies and in my experience the best recordings for each piece do not come from those collections, although Fischer's are always fine. I would rather just make a playlist with mixed performers on Spotify or Idagio. The best performers IMO are Harnoncourt, or Kuijken with Le Petite Bande

Oromo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 9, 2018

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Not always thrilled by Haydn but I recently performed the Harmoniemesse which has some nice moments in it. Some of those fugues are pretty wicked.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I absolutely adore this recording of the so-called 'London symphonies'. George Szell is one of the greats of conducting, and the Cleveland Orchestra just knocks it out of the park. I can't recommend it enough! https://open.spotify.com/album/3FoSzbNV0RAKdO2OgiLALo?si=ElNdbESsR5KlReAgipfGTw

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered the Adam Fischer collection and I'll work my way through. There's a good complete set of Haydn's string quartets by the Emerson String Quartet that I love

zenguitarman posted:

Not always thrilled by Haydn but I recently performed the Harmoniemesse which has some nice moments in it. Some of those fugues are pretty wicked.
I'm not sure I'd say there's a ton of depth to Haydn and I'm just a very amateur listener not a performer, but I find him very pleasant listening. I don't think he quite reaches the emotional places Beethoven goes or has the same 'oh my god that's so loving pretty I want to cry' quality that Mozart occasionally does, but I have always found Haydn's music really just pleasant and diverting and delightful. In much the same way as Handel, it was written to amuse people and I think it does that very well. I check out the Harmoniemesse!

Mederlock posted:

I absolutely adore this recording of the so-called 'London symphonies'. George Szell is one of the greats of conducting, and the Cleveland Orchestra just knocks it out of the park. I can't recommend it enough! https://open.spotify.com/album/3FoSzbNV0RAKdO2OgiLALo?si=ElNdbESsR5KlReAgipfGTw

I have a Colin Davis and the Royal Concertgebouw recording of that and love it- I'll check this out too.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hilary Hahn's new Bach album is fantastic- she plays the fugue in the first sonata with arpeggios in some of the longer chord bits and it owns. The articulation is fantastic as well.

Also what's a good violin recording of Schubert's Grand Caprice Erlkönig?

book
Nov 29, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

Hilary Hahn's new Bach album is fantastic- she plays the fugue in the first sonata with arpeggios in some of the longer chord bits and it owns. The articulation is fantastic as well.

Also what's a good violin recording of Schubert's Grand Caprice Erlkönig?

Did someone watch Twoset Violin's latest video?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

book posted:

Did someone watch Twoset Violin's latest video?

I did, yes, and found out she's got a new album, and it's really really good.

I mean, not as good as Thile's Bach recordings, but hey.

Been looking for a good Erlkönig for a while though, all the violin recordings sound stilted and tight and the piano doesn't really have the same oomph you want from that piece.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Grammofy's Christmas Playlist is pretty solid this year.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Been looking for a good Erlkönig for a while though, all the violin recordings sound stilted and tight and the piano doesn't really have the same oomph you want from that piece.

Check out Josef Spacek's recording, it really owns. Gidon Kremer's is also good.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Oromo posted:

Check out Josef Spacek's recording, it really owns. Gidon Kremer's is also good.

I did this, it was cool.

Yo what's everyone's favourite modern baroque violinists? i've been told to avoid the 50s and 60s recordings because they didn't know enough about baroque music and played everything like a romantic piece.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Coohoolin posted:

I did this, it was cool.

Yo what's everyone's favourite modern baroque violinists? i've been told to avoid the 50s and 60s recordings because they didn't know enough about baroque music and played everything like a romantic piece.

Jaap Schroeder.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

John Holloway

Also, avoid all baroque winds until the 90's - some of the 80's stuff is good but some of it is abyssmal to the point where you wonder whether the artists are even being serious. Turns out that a lot of them were actually amateurs, on top of having to play these more difficult versions of their instrument.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Cheers, thanks! Looking for Telemann and Bach specifically. Currently listening to Rachel Podger's violin Fantasies, it's very very cool. Check out the 2nd movement of the 9th Fantasie.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Coohoolin posted:

I did this, it was cool.

Does that include Heifetz? Because that seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stringent posted:

Does that include Heifetz? Because that seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm sure the likes of Haifetz and Menuhin are safe-ish, BUT is asked my musicologist conservatory researcher dad about it and he said yeah, generally the gap of knowledge about baroque performance is wide enough that for educational purposes you want to stick to young modern players and researchers. He also recommended researchers (who double as conducters or players): John Butt, Bernard Sherman, Richard Taruskin, and Bruce Haynes. Also apparently THE book on performing from the era is Clive Brown's "Classical and Romantic performing practice" but it costs an arm and a leg so hey.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to a lot of Rossini lately, especially Sonata a quattro No.6 in D and Andante e tema con variazioni in E-Flat Major.

Might I get some recommendations for compositions in a similar vein?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've been listening to the local classical station during my commutes, and I've learned enough through osmosis that I can tell when the station RDS is broken if it's playing Mozart and saying it's Wagner, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Is there a good primer on how to listen to classical music?

I have only the vaguest idea about the difference between symphonies vs sonatas vs concertos (vs concertos grossos apparently?), or symphony orchestras vs chamber orchestras vs philharmonics, and I can only begin to guess at toccatas and/or fugues. Please help a hapless uncultured goon out!

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
There's a thousand different ways of how to listen to classical music and even trained professionals differ in how they perceive it. If you for some reason want to improve your purely analytical hearing I would very much recommend learning at least a bit of piano and how to read notation, but that's definitely not necessary to enjoy the works. A simple way to improve the attention you pay to the music is by honing "synaesthetical skills" such as imagining a story unfolding or a painting being made along with the sounds you hear.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Goon Danton posted:

I've been listening to the local classical station during my commutes, and I've learned enough through osmosis that I can tell when the station RDS is broken if it's playing Mozart and saying it's Wagner, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Is there a good primer on how to listen to classical music?

I have only the vaguest idea about the difference between symphonies vs sonatas vs concertos (vs concertos grossos apparently?), or symphony orchestras vs chamber orchestras vs philharmonics, and I can only begin to guess at toccatas and/or fugues. Please help a hapless uncultured goon out!
This book helped me figure out some stuff. I wish there were an audiobook version with the music stuck in it so you could hear what is being talked about, but it's still helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Guid...683169761&psc=1

And there's a few more of these Leonard Bernstein videos floating around that are great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2zubHcER4

I mostly just sort of passively enjoy classical music and don't really know what theoretically/technically makes me like some of it and not like other things. I love Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Bach, and a bunch of random 18th c. Italians, but for whatever reason most of what comes after Beethoven-except Chopin and a few others-doesn't really do much for me.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

English is not my native language so I can't recommend you any specific books, but I'm sure they're all fine and I don't think it matters all that much what you read. The most important thing is just listening to a bunch of music, there's really no reason to approach classical music academically, unless you want to of course. Maybe just read up a bit on the different periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern) so you can place composers in time, but other than that you can learn as you go just fine imho. If you want to learn what a symphony is, just read the Wikipedia article and then listen to a bunch of symphonies.

You can find a bunch of good information on reddit, of all places: https://www.reddit.com/r/classicalresources/
They have, among other things, a list of composers with their most important works, and even though lists like that are always subjective, this one is pretty good in listing the most well-known pieces of any given composer so you can learn what they're famous for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Goon Danton posted:

If you have any music background whatsoever I’d highly recommend taking a few music theory courses through a local university or college or even just seeing if you can sit in. When I took it they really mapped out a lot of the nuances between the different eras and how composing gradually evolved. Failing that I’d get a textbook and work your way through. It’s by no means perfect but it is a good starting point that will build a general base of working knowledge that will make it easier to expand.