Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I like that they're able to show that Dwayne isn't some irredeemable zombie zealot but that he only hates geffendur specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He still comes across as a bigot, just in a casually condescending and not-deliberately-malicious way. See: "Harmless lizard paganry" versus how his expression gets a hundred times darker whenever he looks at Siya. (Though that might be a mix of feelings besides racism and religious hatred, since she's a kept twin and he still has a lot going on regarding the death of his own daughter.)

It's good characterization, mind, and the interest in the Two-Toes and such is both kind of cute and definitely better than how most people treat them, just, yeah.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Roland Jones posted:

He still comes across as a bigot, just in a casually condescending and not-deliberately-malicious way. See: "Harmless lizard paganry" versus how his expression gets a hundred times darker whenever he looks at Siya. (Though that might be a mix of feelings besides racism and religious hatred, since she's a kept twin and he still has a lot going on regarding the death of his own daughter.)

It's good characterization, mind, and the interest in the Two-Toes and such is both kind of cute and definitely better than how most people treat them, just, yeah.
Yeah, with Siya, I think there's a LOT of complicated feelings there with Duane's protectiveness of children, loss of his daughter, etc combined with Siya's position as a kept twin being emblematic of everything he hates about the Geffendur. I think his natural instinct is to protect her regardless of if he likes her or not, because she's a kid, but he knows he can't protect her because the thing she's in danger from is her entire religion and society and the 'consent' those things have already extracted from her. So his solution is to just try to ignore her, which isn't working.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Siya's exhibited no small amount of ambivalence about her future fate, and I think if she cracks and asks Duane to get her out of there he'd take the whole place down brick by brick to do it. Right now he just doesn't know that she feels that way, so he probably thinks that even if he tried he probably couldn't save her.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_07.html - her facial expression staring at the skull

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_56.html - her quiet little "yes mistress" when being admonished about how important she is relative to Lori

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_57.html - telling her sister to shut up when Sara talks about how Iori is cursed for refusing to be a sacrifice

Siya wants to run. She doesn't know how to address it because literally everyone in her life tells her she's lucky and blessed to be middle-aged at 11, but it's pretty clear that privately, she's not buying it, and her art is proof that she has dreams and ambitions beyond being dinner.

She pretty obviously wants to be friendly with Duane - she doesn't even tell him that he's the one who hit her, or that his glamour doesn't work on here. There's a pretty strong chance she asks him to spring her before the protagonists leave the shrine.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i couldnt square the artist bit myself

i think if she doesnt die horribly in the near future that her future is tied up w the two-toes and the relationship between them and humans

very important question: what is that gold thing on sara's forehead and how does it stay there

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 18, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah it's real clear Duane doesn't hate her but just has to keep her at a distance because she's going to constantly remind him that she's going to die and there's really nothing he can do about it, so he pushes her away so he doesn't have to get attached.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So much of this comic is dedicated to these extremely dark scenarios, and this is one of the darkest. Human sacrifice--child sacrifice is such an abominable thing, but to grow up in wait for it? To know that you must dedicate yourself to die, not for your people or for your god, but for your sister, so that she can fulfill her place in life? That's some intense stuff.

It's remarkable how drat subtle the horror the comic presents is as well, there's no artistic distortion or spin, just there's a pile o' skulls in the shrine, and everybody knows that only one sibling's coming out if all goes as planned. No freaky eel-infested flesh monster or pedophiles or self-disemboweling creeps required.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
time for another flashback chapter

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Siya's exhibited no small amount of ambivalence about her future fate, and I think if she cracks and asks Duane to get her out of there he'd take the whole place down brick by brick to do it. Right now he just doesn't know that she feels that way, so he probably thinks that even if he tried he probably couldn't save her.

also i enjoyed this analysis, ty for writing it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looking forward to another Duane flashback. While still alive, he was an avatar of flamboyant bombast, and it's always great to watch.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 21, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hes not any different while dead hes just trying and failing to keep a low profile

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also wanna point out while Duane is bigoted against Cresceans, that's tied to the war between Alderode and Cresce, not specifically the Gefendur thing. Alderode is a Gefendur country, too, Ssaelit like Duane only make up about half the population there, and even in Alderode where Ssaelism is tolerated Ssaelits have to worry about their twin children being stolen by criminals and sold to temples to be raised as sacrifices. I think Alderode is the only country where Ssaelits actually have full legal rights, too? I'm just pointing it out bc when our main touchstone for Aldish culture is Duane it can be easy to forget that Alderode is not actually like, just a Ssaelit place and that the human sacrifice is just as much of a thing there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tollymain posted:

hes not any different while dead hes just trying and failing to keep a low profile

Dead Duane is half bombast, half angst. I want all bombast, all the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what do you think the odds are that his daughter's friends deliberately wound him up just to hear him use his drill-instructor voice

"Do you not have a HOME? GO to your HOME!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean he's pretty anti-gefendur, he likes to remind them their gods are dead.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

I mean he's pretty anti-gefendur, he likes to remind them their gods are dead.
Oh he's definitely anti-gefendur. My point was that there's two different bigotries going on when he's dealing with Crescean gefendur, but that despite that I don't think he's actually upset with Siya, just upset for Siya.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Calling it now: Murkoph is Ssael, or whatever was left of him after some great undoing.

Not convinced about the complaints regarding the comic being too deep, y'all never tried to read Kill 6 Billion Demons?

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 24, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Rime posted:

Calling it now: Murkoph is Ssael, or whatever was left of him after some great undoing.
That's my current theory!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cope says that murkoph isn't ssael but i dont remember how much wiggle room there was for "whatever is left of him"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rime posted:

Not convinced about the complaints regarding the comic being too deep, y'all never tried to read Kill 6 Billion Demons?

K6BD doesn't have as much political machination to keep track of, at least not that's affecting the plot yet. The sides in the main conflicts so far are pretty much "Allison and co", "mad angels that want to destroy the universe (ft. two demiurges)" and "every other demiurge for themself".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was a previous comic where Ilganyag, after interacting with/standing over the unconscious Murkoph, started talking about waiting for Ssael/hoping for him to return while looking off into the horizon, rather than at the guy at her feet, which seemed to me to be strongly implying that Ssael was elsewhere in a physical sense, not just metaphorical. I can't remember the specifics and my brief search for it earlier failed, might look again when I'm free to do so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wondered awhile back if Murkoph wasn't supposed to be Ssael, but hoped it wouldn't be the case.

I still hope it isn't. If Cope has said so, I rarely bother with her Q&A feed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the same, murkoph is clearly somebody or the remnant of somebody ilganyag once knew, and he has those v specific scars on his face

man whats his deal anyway

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I wish his deal was that he isn't a character in the comic.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

His deal is that he's an rp character.

Which isn't a ding on him exactly but it means when Cope was first developing him it was with other people who like, knew and liked his character and were into it from the start, meanwhile in a comic you have to sell characters more in their introduction, and his introduction was not very endearing. I'm sure there's a lot more to him and I'll probably find it interesting if just for the lore implications but he doesn't really do anything for me.

And like, I've seen people see the same thing about Sette's introduction, but at least Sette has the excuse of being a kid, and an extremely poorly socialized one at that. I guess Murkoph has the excuse of having been stewing in the Khert for however long, but... idk. On the other hand, I don't think he's really supposed to be likable right now at all.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The problem isn't that he's not likeable, it's that the way he's not likeable isn't even interesting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he might be more interesting with ilganyag's collar keeping him at heel, well have to see

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GunnerJ posted:

The problem isn't that he's not likeable, it's that the way he's not likeable isn't even interesting.
I mean it could be interesting but that involves more that what we've seen of him. Like... I'm sure he's very interesting to Cope but part of that (aside from being biased to like your own characters because you create characters that you're interested in) is that she knows what his deal is and his motivations and etc etc, and we just don't, and the main reason we have to care is that his existence in the Khert is like, really really weird. Which is also ground that's covered with Sette, and covered better bc she's a much more developed character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC Bastion was also an RP character, and Duane and Sette were two important NPCs.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PetraCore posted:

His deal is that he's an rp character.

Which isn't a ding on him exactly but it means when Cope was first developing him it was with other people who like, knew and liked his character and were into it from the start, meanwhile in a comic you have to sell characters more in their introduction, and his introduction was not very endearing. I'm sure there's a lot more to him and I'll probably find it interesting if just for the lore implications but he doesn't really do anything for me.

And like, I've seen people see the same thing about Sette's introduction, but at least Sette has the excuse of being a kid, and an extremely poorly socialized one at that. I guess Murkoph has the excuse of having been stewing in the Khert for however long, but... idk. On the other hand, I don't think he's really supposed to be likable right now at all.

She's done stuff with him in it before and iirc what's more to him is that he's a sexy guro vampire

She might flesh him out more given how she's kinda going back to the drawing board after his big intro flopped, but that's his overall deal that she finds interesting enough to put in the comic

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 26, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

IIRC Bastion was also an RP character, and Duane and Sette were two important NPCs.

yes, murkoph's problem isn't that he has a bunch of unseen development, it's just that he's a stock psychopath with lovely abs whose motiveless malignity has become steadily less interesting as the comic fills up with way better monsters

i doubt cope has changed her plans for him at all, though, most of the consternation with his character was limited to this thread

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I kinda figured she had a sudden change of plans given how he had his ~big flashy intro~ chewing the scenery like he was gonna be the new main baddie the comic revolved around and then immediately got wrecked by Duane and hasn't done anything at all since, while the story's gone on without him and Bastion, Bell, Ilgyanag and Ruckhamearka have grown to fill in any role he could've had.

I don't think anyone would actually plan a story out like that, if she wants to bring him back him as a relevant character at this point she's gonna have to start all over again and that scene will have accomplished nothing, but it scans as how you'd get rid of Poochie while keeping the option to reintroduce a new and improved version later.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 27, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I kinda figured she had a sudden change of plans given how he had his ~big flashy intro~ chewing the scenery like he was gonna be the new main baddie the comic revolved around and then immediately got wrecked by Duane and hasn't done anything at all since, while the story's gone on without him and Bastion, Bell, Ilgyanag and Ruckhamearka have grown to fill in any role he could've had.

I don't think anyone would actually plan a story out like that, if she wants to bring him back him as a relevant character at this point she's gonna have to start all over again and that scene will have accomplished nothing, but it scans as how you'd get rid of Poochie while keeping the option to reintroduce a new and improved version later.

oh, in that case, then nothing's actually changed, no

cope was saying from the beginning that murk was always going to just be a "minion" to another character (this was well over a year before Ilganyag introduced herself by name) and murkoph himself was pretty consistently shown as something that was, and should be, quarantined to the khert

inside the khert he's shown as a threat because he's one more nightmare out of many pursuing sette, but once that part of the story is over he gets smacked around like a punch and judy doll by sette, duane, and even fumble-fingered anadyne

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Real talk tho: Ruckmeerkat is one of the best villains I've seen in a long, loooooong time.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
The thing that Murkoph can do that no other character can do is find specific information in the khert, and we don't know why yet.

Every character describes the khert as a jumbled, heaping mess of all human memories - all human memories ever, not just the "up till this point in time" ones. Ilganyag says that the future shot she has of the Aldish civil war she shows to Duane was a fortuitous finding. Quigley says his wife's memories were dissolved into the khert like a bottle of wine into an ocean on her death; you don't have a chance of finding the specific elements that made her her.

But Murkoph, trapped in the khert, has specific and exact knowledge of Duane and Sette, including Sette's smart-rear end answer to Duane when he's actually introducing himself, and Sette biting off the whore's finger. When Sette has the conversation with him in the floor of the Nevergreen, she asks him how he could possibly know what he knows, and he says he doesn't know - just that he knows it. So Murkoph is basically a plot device - he's got some mysterious method of being able to locate specific information in the khert that literally no other character, no matter how powerful, does. This is well-established since his intro, so I don't really think his place in the plot's been reworked since then. It also makes me suspect Ilganyag has already used him to locate that Aldish civil war memory, because she wants Duane bad for something and that vision's the perfect method to manipulate Duane.

Who exactly Murkoph is and why he can do what he does - Cope's specifically denied he's Ssael - isn't clear yet. I personally think that he's got pretty good odds of being Ssael's grandson, the one who betrayed him to the Gefendur. While whether or not Ssael killed the gods is up for debate, I think the balance of probability is that Ssael retained a cohesive mind post-death, like Duane has. Whatever method Ssael discovered, Bastion has reverse-engineered in a particularly perverse way in binding Duane's soul to his body, where all indications so far is that Ssael existed in-khert only postmortem, barring his interlude to dictate the last of his holy books.

If Ssael knew how to maintain mental cohesion after death, it wouldn't surprise me if he let other people close to him onto the trick, and Murkoph's version of it was some weird corruption as he's retained a physical body in the khert, something only he, Sette and Ilganyag have done. (Technically Bastion can manage it on a much lower level of interaction, but only in the context of teleporting).

But I think Ilganyag, whatever their previous relationship may have been, is now mostly just planning to use Murkoph as a memory finder to further her manipulations of the humans around her. Duane's still skeptical and Bastion's yanking at his leash, and Ilanyag clearly prefers a softer touch than "choking you out for defying me," as satisfying to the reader as that particular scene was.

This whole story has such an incredible roster of villains, though, Ruck foremost among them. Bastion's an excellent villain, though he's absolutely on the slate to become a hero as the story progresses (I hate Bastion so much, he's a despicable, callow rear end in a top hat and his redemption arc had better be amazing.) But on the "probably not a good guy" roster, you have the Queen of Cresce, dead Delicieu, lizard Delicieu, Jab Beadman, Nary, Starfish, Stockyard, Ana, Murkoph, Ilganyag, Bodie, Bell, Bell's toadies whose name escapes me, Rahm for a brief period, hell, even the corrupt Peaceguard of Ethelmik. If not for the presence of Ruck, any one of the others are a fairly intimidating lineup; it's just that Ruck is, in fact, a loving masterpiece of a villain who's so well-done that he makes the rest of a very respectable villain roster pale in comparison.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 2, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i vaguely remembered this so i dug it up, sorry friend

http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/179895871125/what-happened-to-sonum-etalarche-after-he-betrayed

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, this comic is back, with a fairly typical note of everyone being awful.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A brave squad of plat soldier-wrights indeed :downs:

That picture alone puts a ton of Quig's actions into perspective

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Man, Alderode is so terrible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
fuckin wow, Duane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ain't that the same dude who's currently swinging with the Queen Uncle Rucks?