Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokamak posted:

Machine learning will solve it...

I'm just imagining Portal like ball AI just watching over an intersection, going "oops... whoopsie... ouch... come on, that one was close!" as it tries to direct Teslas through a junction and they just mulch up into piles of wreckage and gore that slowly fill up the tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
what if musk uses block chain to solve the merging problem

what then, nerds

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raldikuk posted:

No, you load the cars into a tunnel and they drive themselves. How this is any different than a single lane one way road is unclear to me.

The other brilliant thing is that muskyboy plans to just keep adding more tunnels (lanes) if usage is too high...he said you could easily have 40 of em...which means you need to merge and unmerge those 40 tunnels lmbo

The entire reason why this can't be just a car tunnel with a single lane one way road is that it's too narrow for the car to be able to drive there at any meaningful speed unassisted. Even if they ramped it further up the profile you'd still have way too little room for a normal driver to drive through there at 100km/h, let alone the 300km/h he's talking about being the eventual target.

The reason why the cars have to go 150mph is that otherwise the capacity will be pointlessly low.

Why not guide the cars electrically? I guess even Musk sobered up enough about their ability to implement robust electromechanical systems that wouldn't risk pasting the car against the wall at some random moment.

Okay, so why not make just... a tunnel, you ask? Why not simply channel the traffic underground with a network of normal roads like you would in Cities skylines?

Boring company's entire scam about being super revolutionary about tunnel boring is based on them using a boring machine intended for sewers. Their entire "super cheap" and "super fast" tunneling completely relies on nothing but the tunnel being tiny. They can't make a proper car tunnel because it'd cost like a normal car tunnel, and like any other car tunnel of this scale and purpose, would be simply too expensive.

It's literally an engineering pyramid scheme of trying to figure out workarounds a massive technological limitation you imposed onto yourself to save money.

Teal has issued a correction as of 09:43 on Dec 23, 2018

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

what then, nerds

Hire a Byzantine general to guard each entrance and signal to the others with a lit torch when a car approaches the main tunnel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why is there a pit in the ground under the ledges where the wheels are supposed to go instead the ground just being flat?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

what then, nerds

6 years from now

"Sorry boss, Ill be at work soon...yeah...my cars calculating every tesla trip theres ever been and the file is 17tb"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s almost like Elon is testing us to see how far he can go on like this

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

CPL593H posted:

Why is there a pit in the ground under the ledges where the wheels are supposed to go instead the ground just being flat?

that's the evacuation route if your car breaks down

yes, seriously

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

yes, seriously

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

yes, seriously

It's also the maintenance walkway. This way, when they're doing something like having to repair cable they won't have to shut down the tunnel. The maintenance crew can just lay down as each vehicle passes over them at 150 mph and work in between.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

how many people has elon killed

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Isn't it basically a lovely copy of the curb guided bus concept that has been in use for decades at this point?

The kerbs in KGB lines are bespoke tolerance and or machined to dimension to prevent failure mode number 2 (you can't gain any lateral momentum because both wheels are always, or always almost in contact with their guidance kerbs)

A bus also uses a different style of steering, without a rack and pinion drive. Instead the steering transmission usually works with a ballscrew spindle that is insanely robust and the whole steering geometry in busses is meant for much more extreme abuse than on a tesla, so that case Nr 1 can be mitigated as well.

Plus they don't go 150 mph (neither does elons douche tube obviously)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CPL593H posted:

then you couldn't justify an indy 500 chauffeur

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

So was the tunnel a bait and switch? Like, is he going in front of Governors and giving a 45 minute pitch for a Hyper loop, then at the very end asking if they'd let him build a tunnel?

Imagine hearing a sales pitch for what a Mars colony could be, then Elon offering, "So, would you like a *wink* *wink* flight to Mars?"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmao my coworker bought a used model s

lol imagine buying a used tesla

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Sir Tonk posted:

i just thought about what wouold happen if someone asked musk to design a coffee maker

Probably a Keurig that calls you a pedophile

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

i just thought about what wouold happen if someone asked musk to design a coffee maker

https://thespoon.tech/alpha-dominche-shuts-down-is-commercial-coffee-tech-dead/

quote:

The company recently crowdfunded over $230,000 to manufacture the Flask Coffee Brewer, a relatively simple manual coffee maker, but they won’t end up shipping a single product. No refunds or late arrivals.

But it’s far worse for the company’s commercial customers. Alpha Dominche’s flagship product that launched in 2014, the Steampunk, is—or, was—an eye-catching $15,000 coffee and tea brewer designed for high-end cafes. And soon they’ll all stop working.

The servers for the coffee machines was taken offline, so the next time they reboot they stop working forever, lol

Powershift has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Dec 23, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

So was the tunnel a bait and switch? Like, is he going in front of Governors and giving a 45 minute pitch for a Hyper loop, then at the very end asking if they'd let him build a tunnel?

Imagine hearing a sales pitch for what a Mars colony could be, then Elon offering, "So, would you like a *wink* *wink* flight to Mars?"

I honestly don't think Musk even has a plan at this point.

He's just juggling all the balls and hoping he doesn't drop anything.

Meanwhile, his ego makes him keep picking up new balls.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Powershift posted:

The servers for the coffee machines was taken offline, so the next time they reboot they stop working forever, lol

Should be illegal to make things that dont have some fallback mode to work without servers

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Mush should have just made pneumatic tubes a la bank cylinder transport pods a reality. The tragedy/comedy would be a lot higher than people inevitably getting trapped in a tube with no oxygen.

historical note for those unfamiliar:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the onion wizard posted:

I'd been thinking about the switching/merging on the tunnels issue too, even small railway yards are insanely complicated. And that's before even thinking about the routing & coordination required.

he couldn't figure out the ramps on the previous iteration of his transportation idea

https://twitter.com/jennakchandler/status/1060675222125203456

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

CPL593H posted:

gotta get that little bit of excavation to turn that dirt into sweet sweet bricks. thats where the real money is at

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CPL593H posted:

because filling it in to flatten it out would use more concrete, which goes against the boring company ethos of cutting as many corners as possible

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

nah, they're totally separate things

he's pitching hyperloop for long-range travel, and he's also pitching regular tunnels as a replacement for literally every road ever

he's just trying to pitch as many tunnel-related ideas as possible in order to drum up business for his tunnel-boring business

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

Should be illegal to make things that dont have some fallback mode to work without servers

In the age of Apple products and electric cars, consumers simply don't give a gently caress anymore about reliability, longevity or serviceability.

The term "it just needs to drive me from a to b" that started off as a defense for people not interested in the cars they drive has become the epithomy of the modern car customer. Everything is build to utmost hide the fact from you that you are actually driving a machine and not a smartphone. Every mechanical component must be hidden. Service through the user, if at all, happens through bespoke ports and at best the user is not even to see any part of the engine if he opens The engine room cover service pannel.

This has long transcended the automotive world though. My grand uncle was a watchmaker - people throwaway watches nowadays even if it's just lacking a new battery -
Electronics repair - impossible. Nearly every household product :
-is in a welded plastic enclosure
-uses chips that require a Full blown rework station to solder - if you can even get replacements
-refuses operation if you service it due to some tamper proof mechanism
-has a gentle Form of planned obsolescence build into it.

It's sad to engineer these things but it's even sadder that people actively demand this crap and support it through their purchasing behavior.

There are plenty options for the consumer to save money, buy alternative products, buy reliable products, hell buy second hand... But for an unexplainable reason people love to spend money on rapidly devaluating low lifespan junk that comes in the sleekest design with the highest number of touchscreens.

Sorry for the rant.

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Dec 23, 2018

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Basically the internet age didn't turn people into incredibly tech savvy digital citizens as wide-eyed sociologists foolishly predicted. Every idiot carrying a computer with them at all times just means computers are now designed for idiots, and probably encourage people to be idiots.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my mom was semi-comedically going off about how millennials are way worse than boomers and it was mostly about how we sold our personal information, and everybody else's, to google or the NSA in return for token comforts, which previous generations might've done with the opportunity but factually just didn't do as much. we're the ones who came of age when that particular part of our souls became commodifiable

i cant really disagree

edit: i think she also said millennials have done a massive amount to make society less equal but we like to blame it all on the boomers. i haven't bothered to look up the timeline on income inequality, it might be true

edit: to be as clear as my spastic rear end can be, she's not trying to dodge the facts of the situation, the reagan era and all that, e.g. she knows that inequality started growing 30 years before millennials were born. she's both loving with me and trying to point out the uniquely hosed up things that younger generations are doing as well

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Dec 23, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

oystertoadfish posted:

my mom was semi-comedically going off about how millennials are way worse than boomers and it was mostly about how we sold our personal information, and everybody else's, to google or the NSA in return for token comforts, which previous generations might've done with the opportunity but factually just didn't do as much. we're the ones who came of age when that particular part of our souls became commodifiable

i cant really disagree

edit: i think she also said millennials have done a massive amount to make society less equal but we like to blame it all on the boomers. i haven't bothered to look up the timeline on income inequality, it might be true

edit: to be as clear as my spastic rear end can be, she's not trying to dodge the facts of the situation, the reagan era and all that, e.g. she knows that inequality started growing 30 years before millennials were born. she's both loving with me and trying to point out the uniquely hosed up things that younger generations are doing as well

Boomers raised millennials.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Boomers raised millennials.

yeah we kinda mutually concluded that we were poison and the people in high school right now are our only hope

they'll fail too, it'll be interesting to see how

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he couldn't figure out the ramps on the previous iteration of his transportation idea

musk is a big fat idiot but I feel like this has to be tongue in cheek

im gettin poe's lawed by a billionaire I guess

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

anyone that paid fifteen grand for a coffee maker deserves this

Lord Stimperor posted:

this would be a smart thing for some enterprising senator to make his hobby horse, or a presidential candidate.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

because filling it in to flatten it out would use more concrete, which goes against the boring company ethos of cutting as many corners as possible

it's the emergency escape path

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I like to imagine a show where Musk and other SV "visionaries" build a rocket to escape a dying Earth and the whacky exploits they have as it slowly never dawns on them how terrible their ideas are. Like Gilligan's Island except everyone is Gilligan.

It’s pretty much the Golgafrincham Ark B, really.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Main Paineframe posted:

he's just trying to pitch as many tunnel-related ideas as possible in order to drum up business for his tunnel-boring business

Pretty weird how like half of the water sewage systems in the country need to be replaced and this dude wants his digging company's cheaper sewer bores to find work digging underground death roads.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

RyokoTK posted:

It’s pretty much the Golgafrincham Ark B, really.

which shows how unselfaware he is, because he claims to love HHGTTG.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol if you blame the consumer and not the capitalists that control the economy and the capitalist system for massive inequality and lovely products with planned obsolescence
https://twitter.com/zupzles/status/1072847790877892609

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

yes, seriously

exploded mummy posted:

it's the emergency escape path

You all are being way too charitable with the assumption that planning went into this. It didn't. And they pride themselves on it. The gap is there because the hole is cylindrical because they used a circle shaped hole boring machine. The two curbs are there because they added the bare minimal material for wheels to drive on. That's all.

Like, they didn't even plan for the 150mph congo line of cars having to decelerate at the end and go out of sync from the cars one second behind them, to wait for a one-car elevator to come back, so they most definitely didn't plan for any "extras" like emergency stuff.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Dec 23, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Musk then emailed "profit part was getting tricky". So, fraud.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

The owner of Youtube channel Engineering Explained bought a Model 3 recently.

Guess whats wrong with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLTNjGI8hw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You all are being way too charitable with the assumption that planning went into this. It didn't. And they pride themselves on it. The gap is there because the hole is cylindrical because they used a circle shaped hole boring machine. The two curbs are there because they added the bare minimal material for wheels to drive on. That's all.

Like, they didn't even plan for the 150mph congo line of cars having to decelerate at the end and go out of sync from the cars one second behind them, to wait for a one-car elevator to come back, so they most definitely didn't plan for any "extras" like emergency stuff.

Yeah, whatever. Next you'll tell me that their plan to reduce congestion by adding as many diverging entrances and exits as possible would defeat the entire purpose of a grade separated, limited access roadway.

Do you really think that powerful brain genius Elon Musk would have failed to notice completely obvious conceptual failures, or even worse, be trying a grift?

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Dec 23, 2018