Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Man it’s 4am and I’m still playing vr game demos
New thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Steve Yun posted:

Man it’s 4am and I’m still playing vr game demos

A very relatable vr post

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The discussion in the PS4 thread reminded me that I'd very much like to try out Gravity Rush in VR, consequences be damned. I doubt I could complete the whole game, but some kind of demo experience could work.

I mean you can already feel the falling in that game just the way it is.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 23, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rinkles posted:

The discussion in the PS4 thread reminded me that I'd very much like to try out Gravity Rush in VR, consequences be damned. I doubt I could complete the whole game, but some kind of demo experience could work.

I mean you can already feel the falling in that game just the way it is.

This would be cool. If you want to simulate what the falling sensation might feel like, go to the system home menu with the headset on, look down, then hold the options button to recenter. You're now in a weird theater where you're on the ceiling and the screen's on the floor.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have no idea if the Moves are compatible with Farpoint (though I know it has Dualshock compatibility), but speaking as someone who plays shooting games with a Vive headset and controllers, you'll REALLY appreciate actually holding a fake rifle over floating your hands in the positions of holding one.

Just read up on it and it doesn't use the move.

It would be cool to use the aim but at its price point it just feels like way too much of a luxury for the handful of things I'd use it for.

I van imagine how cool it feels though.

On another note I'm kinda swithering on Skyrim VR. I completed it on pc one a few years back with a ton of quality of life mods (like towns fully integrated with the world map and no loading screens and such) and high quality texture and model packs and such.

All the reviews I've read say just to buy it cos it's just that good and immersive, but they also seem to be reviews by massive skyrim fans so it's hard to take them at face value.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The aim makes the game what it is, and in my opinion would still be worth it at double the price. Playing without one would be like playing ddr without a floor pad

Let me point it this way: the aim is so good that if I see a screenshot for a shooting game that features dual wielding, I immediately lose interest

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 23, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kin posted:

On another note I'm kinda swithering on Skyrim VR. I completed it on pc one a few years back with a ton of quality of life mods (like towns fully integrated with the world map and no loading screens and such) and high quality texture and model packs and such.

All the reviews I've read say just to buy it cos it's just that good and immersive, but they also seem to be reviews by massive skyrim fans so it's hard to take them at face value.

I really respect the ambition of the game, but I've played 200 hours of Skyrim on Steam and I'm thoroughly sick of it. I did the intro and walked to Riverwood and decided to call it quits and sold it.

Kinda wish I could eternal sunshine the memory of playing it away and enjoy it on VR but the prospect of grinding through it again makes me feel tired.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, I just bought a PS VR from the Czech Republic but my account is in the American PSN store. As a result I've got a VR Worlds code that I can't use. If any of y'all are in the same market as Czechia and want a VR Worlds download code, here's one for free:

e: taken

LTK3-FENM-9K7L

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 23, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kin posted:

Just read up on it and it doesn't use the move.

It would be cool to use the aim but at its price point it just feels like way too much of a luxury for the handful of things I'd use it for.

I van imagine how cool it feels though.

Skyrim might as well be my all time GOAT even without ever touching mods but seriously buy Skyrim VR. It’s so good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey y'all, I just bought a PS VR from the Czech Republic but my account is in the American PSN store. As a result I've got a VR Worlds code that I can't use. If any of y'all are in the same market as Czechia and want a VR Worlds download code, here's one for free:

LTK3-FENM-9K7L

Thanks man :)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No worries! Did it work?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

No worries! Did it work?

Yeah, I figured Czechia was in the Euro region so would work on a UK account. Ta, been thinking about getting it for a while as the bundle I got didn't have it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good to hear! There's some really fun stuff in there. Nothing deep that will last you for a long time, but definitely some cool demos.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Polybius is 100% Jeff Minter on his bullshit and I am loving it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sentient Data posted:

The aim makes the game what it is, and in my opinion would still be worth it at double the price. Playing without one would be like playing ddr without a floor pad

Let me point it this way: the aim is so good that if I see a screenshot for a shooting game that features dual wielding, I immediately lose interest

Yup. Still need to get firewall actually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both Farpoint and Firewall are average, or lets be honest below average shooters, that are elevated so much by holding a 1:1 rifle in VR that they circle around into being totally awesome. You could probably have fun with them with a DS4 but I think between the 2 games there is enough to do to justify a $60 controller purchase. And hopefully it will be more widely supported down the line but who knows, it's been a real slow start for the thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo I can watch 3D Blu-rays? :aaa:

Edit: what were the good movies that were shot with two cameras instead of fake post production 3D? Gravity, Avatar, Prometheus, all the 3D animated movies, what else?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 23, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

More like 3D Blu-rrays. The image isn't exactly Blu-Ray quality but the 3D works. Not too sure about the sound though, everything I've tried so far the audio comes from the direction of the "screen" so no surround from the headphones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The image is blu ray quality, It just looks less clear because you have 1080p strapped to your face and not across the room.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo I can watch 3D Blu-rays? :aaa:

Edit: what were the good movies that were shot with two cameras instead of fake post production 3D? Gravity, Avatar, Prometheus, all the 3D animated movies, what else?

Dredd. Holy poo poo, Dredd.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I tried watching 3D blurays and movies in the theatre mode but the image quality is so loving bad compared to a normal 3D television.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are any of the painting/sculpting games any good

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dredd is the only one I've watched and I picked up it cheap on amazon on this thread's suggestion. No regrets. Watching a movie on the thing is really interesting because you have no distractions. It's weird.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I kind of... might need that. I haven’t been able to finish a movie at home in a while because I keep wanting to check my phone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dredd has the best use of 3D in a movie that I've seen. I thought it looked great on PSVR.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Steve Yun posted:

Are any of the painting/sculpting games any good

Dreams beta :grin:

(doesn't include a VR option yet, will on launch)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Just got firewall zero hour psvr aim bundle for $40 in store, posted for $60 online at gamestop. They ripped off a sticker that was posted on it ripping the box and offered me 10% off. Walked away with it for $38 after tax. So uh, brave the holiday traffic?

Edit: Whoops looks like they just mistakenly rang it up as just the game. Still worth picking up at $60 instead of $80 at least!

minusX fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 24, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Disappearing arrows is complete garbage

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Steve Yun posted:

I just got a PSVR bundle with Beat Saber and just hit this section of the campaign. So ya gently caress who ever thought of that. Love the game though.

I picked up Thumper. Any other good VR games I should pick up while they are on sale?

Edit: nvm reading backwards in the thread and that question has been answered over and over again.

1500 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 24, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You can play without the disappearing stuff right? I hate those kind of gimmicks in rhythm games. It’s always the laziest attempt at higher difficulty to me.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

You can play without the disappearing stuff right? I hate those kind of gimmicks in rhythm games. It’s always the laziest attempt at higher difficulty to me.

Level 11 in campaign is a bottleneck with disappearing arrows. But all the songs are unlocked w/o the campaign so whatever, I just gave up on it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have only seen it show up in the campaign. I would not be surprised it if it added to the free play at some point. But currently you can't avoid it as you have to finish at least one level of it to progress through the campaign, and multiple levels to unlock everything.

While I find it hard, it is not that bad. There is a pattern to most of the blocks, and if you just see what side of the block the white disappears from you know the direction.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Steve Yun posted:

I still hate it because even looking out in the distance that poo poo starts fading before the stupid thing is done spinning and I can’t ever see where most of the arrows point.

That being said, if you just try to spot the side of the cube with the arrow on it and hit that, you can make it through the levels without having to interpret where it’s pointing. I still dislike that mode the most and wish I could skip it in the campaign.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It wouldn’t be so bad if sometimes the cubes weren’t covering cubes behind them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's really bad how the campaign gradually shifts from becoming more difficult in a straightforward, fair way to more or less forcing you to play worse. Required misses, max combo limits, movement limits, none of this belongs in the game. When there are no campaign nodes left that don't have something like that attached, just go to free play.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

haveblue posted:

It's really bad how the campaign gradually shifts from becoming more difficult in a straightforward, fair way to more or less forcing you to play worse. Required misses, max combo limits, movement limits, none of this belongs in the game. When there are no campaign nodes left that don't have something like that attached, just go to free play.

That’s what I did and I like it a lot more. I just wanna dance around like an idiot without difficulty gimmicks.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

Required misses is bullshit and I don’t even understand it’s place as a mechanic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

haveblue posted:

It's really bad how the campaign gradually shifts from becoming more difficult in a straightforward, fair way to more or less forcing you to play worse. Required misses, max combo limits, movement limits, none of this belongs in the game.

I got genuinely confused when the game started having a minimum amount of notes I had to miss in order to beat the level. I kept failing as I was doing the level pretty much perfectly. I just can't figure out the rationale behind it. In the end, I just missed the first couple of notes on purpose then did the rest of the song.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

I got genuinely confused when the game started having a minimum amount of notes I had to miss in order to beat the level. I kept failing as I was doing the level pretty much perfectly. I just can't figure out the rationale behind it. In the end, I just missed the first couple of notes on purpose then did the rest of the song.

My assumption is it’s the devs’ first music game. Almost every other franchise has tried and completely given up on the “memorization is the real goal!” style of gameplay because it’s universally unfun bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I think I understand the logic of mandatory misses, as particularly on the challenges with a min and max quota it's demonstrating mastery to the point of being able to make an intentional foul without killing yourself in another manner or completely loving up the rest of the chain, but it's really not a great mechanic.