Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I double-majored in poli sci and philosophy, and 24 years later, it's never held me back. I was a UNIX sysadmin, then a manager, and now an infrastructure architect. If I was a developer, I might have missed the formal education more.

History, and 20 years later it hasn't held me back as a developer either. I guess some of the formal stuff could have been useful earlier in my career, but at this point I've pretty much picked up what I need. Mind you, I programmed for fun as a kid long before I got anywhere near university, and I got my first full time job through connections I'd made working for a startup for beer money as an undergrad. If it weren't for that latter, and especially these days, I imagine landing my first job as a programmer might have been hard. Once you've got your first job on your CV the degree mostly ceases to matter, though.

(Exception: the snooty suit and tie management/software consultancy place I worked at in NJ for a year who were very invested in the fact my degree was from Oxford, but fortunately not internationally aware enough to know a 2:2 is a pretty mediocre degree grade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Proteus Jones posted:

To anyone contemplating dropping out or skipping a degree program. Don’t. It is only to your advantage to get one. After all these years I’m looking to finish my BS degree (I have an AS) and continue with a Masters (since if I want to move beyond SME/troubleshooter I pretty much need one)

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone masters locked in software engineering even up to a C level. What do you think is blocking you? I’ve made it up to Principal Software Engineer with a bachelors of general studies I finished after I joined the company and still get regular coaching from my vp on steps to go higher.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virigoth posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone masters locked in software engineering even up to a C level. What do you think is blocking you? I’ve made it up to Principal Software Engineer with a bachelors of general studies I finished after I joined the company and still get regular coaching from my vp on steps to go higher.

Not a programmer.

I’ve had a couple director level and above positions fizzle out because the gate I couldn’t pass was a requirement for either an MBA or domain specific Masters. That aside, I’ve pretty much hit the ceiling for how much I can advance in house without my Bachelors.

So like I said the goal is to finish up the BS. The Masters is so I can eventually be considered for InfoSec Director or CISO positions. Even if the positions never pan out, more education is not a bad thing and I get tuition reimbursement.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I want to teach eventually (like, community college, not school) so I'm going to need a subject masters at some point (my BA in Economics ain't gonna cut it).

UW-Stout has a p.deece-looking online IT program so maybe I'll do that in a couple of years?

:shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The advice we were given in college was get an in-field masters if you wanted to teach or do research. Otherwise, get a masters in business.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

myron cope posted:

Is there a goon approved/recommended online school (US)? I have tuition reimbursement through work and was thinking maybe I could use it to take a class. I do (almost all Windows) server administration but I'm painfully weak on networking knowledge and figured I could take a class for that.

I remember people talking about one a while back, like Washington or something?
I realize this is a little late but WGU is not the place to go if you just want to take a class or two. There's no such thing there as auditing courses or signing up for a one-off.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

vibur posted:

I realize this is a little late but WGU is not the place to go if you just want to take a class or two. There's no such thing there as auditing courses or signing up for a one-off.

I believe the wgu deal is that once you start, there's no stopping until graduation. You can take a brief pause between semesters, but otherwise you either complete the required credits per semester or get kicked out of the program.

It's very good motivation to suck it up and keep passing classes to get the whole thing over with.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I believe the wgu deal is that once you start, there's no stopping until graduation. You can take a brief pause between semesters, but otherwise you either complete the required credits per semester or get kicked out of the program.

It's very good motivation to suck it up and keep passing classes to get the whole thing over with.

I think this is it on paper but you can just do whatever, they will always take money. My old boss had been a lucrative student for WGU, having been going off and on for 5+ years

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm about to start a CIS degree program at the university that I work at. It's basically the only way I'll be able to get a raise since I'm a state employee. Alternatively I could also move around internally but I really like the group I work with. At this point I don't really feel like it's going to add a lot to my skill base since I've been working for about 8 years, but who knows!?

If you've got the means getting a 4 year degree is gonna give you a head start. I got really lucky early in my career and essentially doubled my salary at one company, but at this point in the game, I'm going to need some kind of paper to take the next step.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
CIS majors are the red mages of technology. It's cool being able to multiclass low-level business and tech but don't expect the curriculum to teach you any death spells. IMO either computer science or business are a smarter move if you already have a decent technical breadth and have worked in at least one mid-size organization

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm fine with being a red mage! The CS coursework didn't interest me as much because I don't really want to go into hard programming or CS work. My tuition is free for a limited amount of hours so I can always pivot and finish out the requirements for a CS degree after I get the CIS.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha day 1 of my vacation and I peeked at my work email - production issue on Christmas Eve. Nice. Good thing it's not my problem!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd hire anyone who used the word orthogonal.

OK I actually use this word in my lexicon.

e: I'm not sure what I expect to get done today, but I am actually at work for a few hours.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChubbyThePhat posted:

e: I'm not sure what I expect to get done today, but I am actually at work for a few hours.

I'm one of five people in the office, I have to finalize some new hire stuff but I'm leaving early.

Also we got an e-mail this morning that we're getting bought by a private equity firm so uh...that's a thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing my employee review today between matches of smash bros. What a waste coming in

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kashuno posted:

I'm doing my employee review today between matches of smash bros. What a waste coming in

All but a single person from each team will be on pto or "working" from home. We had some money left in the food budget to the tune of a few hundred so those few souls in the office are getting door dash on the company dime.

Basically anyone who wanted to just gently caress off all day away from the family volunteered. Volunteers were filled in 3 minutes after sending out the email asking.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's a good setup - everyone gets exactly what they want and no one feels like they got the short end.

Most of our people are out. I am one of the few who didn't take PTO, but I have family in the next room, am sitting in on my 10am and 10:30 calls, and by about 10:37 I'll be done working for the day.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Drinking at our desks with the only other infrastructure team member around, gonna split at noon - there’s nobody here.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Somebody just came around to let those of us here know that breakfast is ready. Seems they put together a little buffet. Looks like nobody expect to get anything done today :cheers:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm taking the A+ certification exam today because my new job requires it for some reason. Passed the first (why the gently caress does A+ require two exams), taking a break in between. I really want to complain about specific questions but don't want to break NDA. I passed easily with barely any studying but still :bang: over this stupid thing.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 24, 2018

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Do you still need to know IRQ numbers for that?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Do you still need to know IRQ numbers for that?
They didn't even ask that on the 800-series, and they're up to the 900-series, now.

I have to work a half-day, which is great for salaried people, but they're not paying the hourly people for the half of the day we're closed. They did this for some training earlier in the year, and I bitched about it significantly (like, in the review of the training, and in an email to my managers). It's bullshit, because we're a financial not-for-profit making a big deal of helping out the financially underserved (read: poor people), who are loving over our lowest-paid employees. The loving training was a "poverty simulation" about how institutions gently caress over the financially disadvantaged... and the institution took advantage of it to save some money by loving over the financially disadvantaged. I'm apparently the only one who sees the irony.

I really love my job, my team, and my immediate managers, but that pissed me off enough that I've started looking.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 24, 2018

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I did receive a question on the connectors used in a token ring network. I feel comfortable saying that much.

Passed the second exam. I'm A+ certified. :effort:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I did receive a question on the connectors used in a token ring network. I feel comfortable saying that much.

I can't help but giggle that you have any concern at all for a comptia NDA.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

I'm taking the A+ certification exam today because my new job requires it for some reason. Passed the first (why the gently caress does A+ require two exams), taking a break in between. I really want to complain about specific questions but don't want to break NDA. I passed easily with barely any studying but still :bang: over this stupid thing.

Luckily, part 2 of the A+ is stupid easy. It shouldn't cost any more than $20 to take it as the quality is really loving low. Anybody with at least 1 year of IT experience should be able to pass it with no studying at all.

I was entering my time yesterday because I didn't want to do it later this week or right before new years. I noticed today was only a half-day holiday; I absolutely did not plan on coming in to work. That probably would have been bad.
There's nothing going on here anyway so not a bad deal walking in for 3 hours, talking with a few folks, and splitting.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanatosian posted:

They didn't even ask that on the 800-series, and they're up to the 900-series, now.

I have to work a half-day, which is great for salaried people, but they're not paying the hourly people for the half of the day we're closed. They did this for some training earlier in the year, and I bitched about it significantly (like, in the review of the training, and in an email to my managers). It's bullshit, because we're a financial not-for-profit making a big deal of helping out the financially underserved (read: poor people), who are loving over our lowest-paid employees. The loving training was a "poverty simulation" about how institutions gently caress over the financially disadvantaged... and the institution took advantage of it to save some money by loving over the financially disadvantaged. I'm apparently the only one who sees the irony.

I really love my job, my team, and my immediate managers, but that pissed me off enough that I've started looking.

Wait, the company required attendance at this training but didn’t pay non-exempts for that time?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

You report them to the labor board, full stop. Your employer owes them back wages with interest. End of story.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

You report them to the labor board, full stop. Your employer owes them back wages with interest. End of story.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CompTIA exams are mostly bullshit, and I can say that because I have my A+, Net+, and Sec+. And they don't enforce their NDA unless you post literal test questions, and even then they will probably do nothing.
But congrats. :)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Peachfart posted:

CompTIA exams are mostly bullshit, and I can say that because I have my A+, Net+, and Sec+. And they don't enforce their NDA unless you post literal test questions, and even then they will probably do nothing.
But congrats. :)

I was previously A/N/S certified but I let them lapse because I thought I thought I was past the point in my career where anyone would care. But a job offer with a new employer that had some questionable certification requirements and a 25% raise, and here I am.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Degree chat: reminder that you can be Chief Security Officer of Equifax with a master's in Music, which is basically all the proof you need that major doesn't matter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

To clarify, they paid them for the training, but they scheduled them for a full day, then let them out two hours early, didn't pay them for the two hours, and didn't tell them that until afterwards.

It's hella lovely, but legal.

EDIT: This upset me enough to the point that I asked our HR department if we were allowed to give away PTO to other employees, because I wanted to give mine to some of the hourly employees I work with who are getting hosed by this.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 24, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

To clarify, they paid them for the training, but they scheduled them for a full day, then let them out two hours early, didn't pay them for the two hours, and didn't tell them that until afterwards.

It's hella lovely, but legal.

EDIT: This upset me enough to the point that I asked our HR department if we were allowed to give away PTO to other employees, because I wanted to give mine to some of the hourly employees I work with who are getting hosed by this.

Oh, I see. They paid them for the hours they were in the training, but clocked them out when they dismissed them early.

Yeah, that's probably legal, but still super lovely.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hourly employees got paid hourly, not sure I see the issue really.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you're expecting a full day of work and get sent home early, that's money you're not making. Not great but especially bad given the context.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Internet Explorer posted:

If you're expecting a full day of work and get sent home early, that's money you're not making. Not great but especially bad given the context.

I run a team of support people who are paid hourly. Our company will send home employees early on holidays or the day before. My techs ask to stay the whole day, even today on Christmas Eve, regardless because they want the money. Also, most are very quick to volunteer for overtime.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When you plan your life and finances around getting 40 hours of pay a week, and something takes away 10% of that, it's a big loving deal. Because it's not like you can easily reduce most of your expenses by 10%; your regular bills (rent, utilities, cell phone, internet) all have to be paid, still. You still have to eat. You probably still need gas for your vehicles, maintenance, etc. So it either all comes out of discretionary spending, or savings. And odds are that 10% of your pay is a lot more than 10% of your discretionary spending.

It's a lovely thing to do that puts people on the ropes for no goddamn reason. It hurts employee retention (which is a problem we're having already) and morale. It's one of those things that saves green money, but spends a significant amount of blue money.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
6:45AM the day after Christmas and our COO wants to pick a fight about what meeting software we use despite having planned to make the change from GoToMeeting to Teams 4 months ago. Cool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kashuno posted:

6:45AM the day after Christmas and our COO wants to pick a fight about what meeting software we use despite having planned to make the change from GoToMeeting to Teams 4 months ago. Cool.

Zoom or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Zoom or bust.

This.

Also, while we have fully bought in to Teams as a collaboration platform, it does not make for a robust meeting platform.

We just finished evaluating Zoom and are rolling it out in the new year, and will like be building a half dozen zoom rooms as well.