Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goodwill is lame bc they pay people like utter poo poo and make tons of money on the merchandise. Also iirc they have some weird Christian poo poo going on where if you're gay or whatever they won't help you.

E: honestly it's not lame so much as just a tax scam now

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Goodwill is lame bc they pay people like utter poo poo and make tons of money on the merchandise. Also iirc they have some weird Christian poo poo going on where if you're gay or whatever they won't help you.

E: honestly it's not lame so much as just a tax scam now

Oh dammit, who can I donate to! Salvation Army is garbage. Please world give me a place to peacefully absolve my capitalist sins of garbage purchases.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I might be wrong on the Christian/gay stuff for Goodwill though and conflating with salvation army

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Moridin920 posted:

I think I might be wrong on the Christian stuff for Goodwill though and conflating with salvation army

goodwill didn't have the Christian stuff iirc it's Salvation Army that's had the anti-gay stuff, and kicks women outta their shelters and sometimes then sells the person's stuff.
Goodwill did have a big scandal about 10 years ago where store level and regional management was stealing some of the best donations tho

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Oh dammit, who can I donate to! Salvation Army is garbage. Please world give me a place to peacefully absolve my capitalist sins of garbage purchases.

I usually donate to the Marxist revolution that holds Chiapas Mexico as an autonomous zone

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

last time I went to goodwill the dude helping me load stuff into my ex girlfriends car tried to sell me weed

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Goodwill is super For Profit and not actually a good will charity.

I mean I dont not shop there for dumb poo poo you go to a thrust store for. But I donate stuff elsewhere and try to support other places first.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Frog Act posted:

last time I went to goodwill the dude helping me load stuff into my ex girlfriends car tried to sell me weed

how was the quality?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Goodwill is super For Profit and not actually a good will charity.

I mean I dont not shop there for dumb poo poo you go to a thrust store for. But I donate stuff elsewhere and try to support other places first.

it's also made up of several different divisions which have their own policies and territories, so one Goodwill might be different from another regions'

also if one region fucks up or doesn't bring the numbers they have to cede territory to another region

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Still got mine. Back says it was printed in 2007. Were they really still around then? drat.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I work for a state agency and yet we contract out our housekeeping to Goodwill. They might pay their people pennies on the dollar but they also, judging by the ones who work in my building, hire people who I'm guessing might not be employable otherwise. Like there's one guy who I've never seen do anything but walk around with a broom and dustpan. I think that might be all he can handle, bless him.

Still it's bullshit that the state government does that rather than have state employees who make (almost) a living wage do it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Goodwill exploits the gently caress out of the labour of physically and mentally handicapped as part of some make work bullshit that's tacked on to their long term disability payments. Learned that from a friend of mine who had to do shifts at Goodwill. Haven't stepped foot in one since I learned that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Goodwill exploits the gently caress out of the labour of physically and mentally handicapped as part of some make work bullshit that's tacked on to their long term disability payments. Learned that from a friend of mine who had to do shifts at Goodwill. Haven't stepped foot in one since I learned that.

That's kinda their whole, like, thing, like they run ads about that and everything, I'm not sure how nobody's ever heard of it. Like what did you think they did before you found out, nonspecific 'charity'?

e: I phrased this kinda rear end in a top hat-ish but I'm genuinely curious what you thought they did

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Shame Boy posted:

That's kinda their whole, like, thing, like they run ads about that and everything, I'm not sure how nobody's ever heard of it. Like what did you think they did before you found out, nonspecific 'charity'?

e: I phrased this kinda rear end in a top hat-ish but I'm genuinely curious what you thought they did

Giving people with physical or mental disabilities who want to work a job is one thing. Forcing people to work at Goodwill to receive government disability checks is a quite different thing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
goodwill is legally allowed to (and does) pay disabled people below minimum wage. thats also their thing.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I worked at Goodwill in high school and part of undergrad. At least back then, people with disabilities would literally be making cents per hour.

Goodwill Pays Disabled Workers As Little As 22 Cents Per Hour (2013).

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

discoukulele posted:

I worked at Goodwill in high school and part of undergrad. At least back then, people with disabilities would literally be making cents per hour.

Goodwill Pays Disabled Workers As Little As 22 Cents Per Hour (2013).

Sorry, hit quote instead of edit. :\

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Animal-Mother posted:

Still got mine. Back says it was printed in 2007. Were they really still around then? drat.

Yeah the very last of them started closing this decade. I wanna say 2014 or so. In 2007 they still thought they could stay in business. 2008 is when they began realizing they were in trouble. But even then blockbuster had declared bankruptcy and been bailed out several other times, so didn't realize jist how screwed they were.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah the very last of them started closing this decade. I wanna say 2014 or so. In 2007 they still thought they could stay in business. 2008 is when they began realizing they were in trouble. But even then blockbuster had declared bankruptcy and been bailed out several other times, so didn't realize jist how screwed they were.

There's one left in Oregon. I've seen it with my own eyes. Someone was even returning a DVD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PostNouveau posted:

There's one left in Oregon. I've seen it with my own eyes. Someone was even returning a DVD.

They have their own beer

https://thetakeout.com/america-s-last-blockbuster-store-gets-own-beer-1828630314

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

When people see those adds they usually don't look in to it beyond 'oh that's nice, they're providing opportunities for people' and don't dig deeper to find out just how loving exploitative that whole situation is. The only thing worse than blatant unashamed greed is greed hidden behind a thin veil of faux social conscience.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

EvilJoven posted:

When people see those adds they usually don't look in to it beyond 'oh that's nice, they're providing opportunities for people' and don't dig deeper to find out just how loving exploitative that whole situation is. The only thing worse than blatant unashamed greed is greed hidden behind a thin veil of faux social conscience.

Yeah, I didn't know before this evening that they were making below minimum wage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As far as I can tell they're the least bad charity to donate stuff to around me, all the rest are either just churches or Salvation Army which is hosed up in different ways, so I guess I can just burn my old poo poo instead woo

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Finding out that most charities are loving insidious is a wonderful way to spend Christmas eve.

Merry Christmas, goons.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

if you dumb assholes would just shut up and donate to Chiapas we could have a pretty bad rear end christmas

https://schoolsforchiapas.org/

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

do it for subcomandante marcos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bombadilillo posted:

thrust store

tell me more

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

As far as I can tell they're the least bad charity to donate stuff to around me, all the rest are either just churches or Salvation Army which is hosed up in different ways, so I guess I can just burn my old poo poo instead woo

Women's shelters often run thrift stores you can donate crap to.

Other than that, just throw your garbage away. Charities don't need your random poo poo unless they ask for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Goodwill scours their stores for the best items and has those stores send them to depots where the items are then put onto shopgoodwill.com starting bids are incredibly overpriced.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean that takes the fun out of thrift store shopping BUT if they were a genuine charity I'd have no problem with them trying to get the most they can for their donations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Imagined posted:

I mean that takes the fun out of thrift store shopping BUT if they were a genuine charity I'd have no problem with them trying to get the most they can for their donations.

Except they are a for profit company that uses mentally and physically disabled people as near slaves due to exemptions in the FLSA because they cause a "reduction in productivity."

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Sears could have been the Amazon of today and Blockbuster the Netflix. it’s like stepping into an episode of Sliders

netflix original business model was really no less outdated than blockbusters, so in that case it was really up in the air

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Man, the Goodwill thing is like...way more complicated than it's being presented as here. It's a nonprofit (an association of nonprofits, really) that provides community programs and education for people with disabilities, and fundraises through a chain of thrift stores. A small percentage of employees are paid subminimum wages using a special minimum wage certificate, which is something many CRPs use for a number of reasons, in many cases because a true minimum wage would jeopardize SSI eligibility for people who truly are not able to do normal work because of physical or mental impairments. There are also often other costs associated with employing these people such as transportation, supervision, case work, health care, etc.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Dec 25, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can sympathize. If I want affordable health care at a job I can work at, I either need a non-retail office job that pays minimum wage and only schedules me 15 hours a week; OR I need a fulltime job that provides exceptional benefits. There's no legal in between.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

also

someone in China had to make one of this holidays most popular toys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YKd4YjPnko

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man, the Goodwill thing is like...way more complicated than it's being presented as here. It's a nonprofit (an association of nonprofits, really) that provides community programs and education for people with disabilities, and fundraises through a chain of thrift stores. A small percentage of employees are paid subminimum wages using a special minimum wage certificate, which is something many CRPs use for a number of reasons, in many cases because a true minimum wage would jeopardize SSI eligibility for people who truly are not able to do normal work because of physical or mental impairments. There are also often other costs associated with employing these people such as transportation, supervision, case work, health care, etc.

Or, instead of paying sub minimum wage they could just have then work fewer hours for minimum wage rather than many hours for pennies.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I'm curious about this Goodwill thing too with the same question as above. If they really are exploting the disabled with near zero wages that's loving horrendous.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Mechafunkzilla posted:

At the time I was working for them, they didn't provide casework, health care, or transportation for the people with disabilities working there. They got all of that through the county.

Edit - Just want to add (cos sorry, this whole thing just kinda strikes a nerve for me) - it's also clearly not just Goodwill. I'm a social worker, and I did case management for adults with disabilities for a few years, and I came across a lot of different places that had a similar model of paying people extremely sub-standard wages for "piece work" (stuffing envelopes, sorting recycling, doing laundry for hospitals, etc). It's presented as providing a service for them, by giving them supervision and something to do and a sense of purpose, but it feels extremely wrong and exploitative in practice. But, like I already mentioned, any services like case management and transportation were never provided by the employer, it was always outside county social workers that did that, even though the employers would get a per-day income from the state for each disabled person working there.

Either give them dignified work with fewer hours, or fund day centers where they can do something else that's engaging and stimulating instead of having their labor exploited under the guise of providing them a service.

There was a day center that a couple of clients of mine went to where they'd spend the day making art, and then they'd be able to sell the art to make some money for themselves and some of the money would go toward keeping the center open. We should fund more places like that.

discoukulele has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Dec 25, 2018

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm beginning to think this whole capitalism thing might be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

discoukulele posted:

At the time I was working for them, they didn't provide casework, health care, or transportation for the people with disabilities working there. They got all of that through the county.

Edit - Just want to add (cos sorry, this whole thing just kinda strikes a nerve for me) - it's also clearly not just Goodwill. I'm a social worker, and I did case management for adults with disabilities for a few years, and I came across a lot of different places that had a similar model of paying people extremely sub-standard wages for "piece work" (stuffing envelopes, sorting recycling, doing laundry for hospitals, etc). It's presented as providing a service for them, by giving them supervision and something to do and a sense of purpose, but it feels extremely wrong and exploitative in practice. But, like I already mentioned, any services like case management and transportation were never provided by the employer, it was always outside county social workers that did that, even though the employers would get a per-day income from the state for each disabled person working there.

Either give them dignified work with fewer hours, or fund day centers where they can do something else that's engaging and stimulating instead of having their labor exploited under the guise of providing them a service.

There was a day center that a couple of clients of mine went to where they'd spend the day making art, and then they'd be able to sell the art to make some money for themselves and some of the money would go toward keeping the center open. We should fund more places like that.

I'm also a social worker. There's nothing here I really disagree with, with the caveat that Goodwill does fund day centers and day programs for adults with disabilities. The thrift stores provide funding. It's not an either/or thing.