Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe it was similar to how Feng Shui sometimes involves gracing a certain wall with specific decor. These road dongs are meant to direct the presence of the road spirits in the least conflicting manner.

Dong Shui, as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are also non-penis ones at Pompeii intersections but the dicks get all the press.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

But the Romans borrowed Priapus from the Greeks? And the Lares are Etruscan influence.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 25, 2018

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Exposed vulvas also keep away bad spirits in some cultures, on some medieval churches you find Sheela na gig reliefs of women flashing their bits.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Roman chariots not only had truk nutz, they had full on truk dicks. Apparently they hung those dick charms on the underside of their chariots to protect against bad mojo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FAUXTON posted:

Roman chariots not only had truk nutz, they had full on truk dicks. Apparently they hung those dick charms on the underside of their chariots to protect against bad mojo.

Seems like you're just dragging your dicks on the ground.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cheetah7071 posted:

I prefer the idea that priests believed roads were horny

I mean, I can't count the number of times I-5 has hosed me over so...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Erect dicks specifically warded off evil but I can't remember why.

Because floppy ones are useless.

On another note: mediaeval and early modern manuscripts and books seem to have a lot of white space on the page, and the writing seems to be quite compact. Is there any reason for that?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Safety Biscuits posted:

On another note: mediaeval and early modern manuscripts and books seem to have a lot of white space on the page, and the writing seems to be quite compact. Is there any reason for that?

For dicks that never were.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Safety Biscuits posted:

Bugs/mice eat the edges of the page so you need to leave a wide margin

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Family Values posted:

But the Romans borrowed Priapus from the Greeks? And the Lares are Etruscan influence.

I never said anything about Priapus? Lares do have Etruscan elements but are you arguing that a single unclear example of influence invalidates the entire native Roman religion? That doesn't make sense. The only part there that's clearly borrowed is when lares begin to be depicted as anthropomorphic deities. The other spirits were not; the idea of anthropomorphic gods has no Roman basis and comes from Etruscans. Though there's literally nothing you can say about Roman/Etruscan cultural relationships that isn't controversial, since this all takes place well before the period where we start getting any decent amount of evidence.

E: Lares also aren't a great example on my part, I shouldn't post at 2:30 AM. They're too familiar as anthropomorphized deities. But they're just one category of a literally uncountable number of spirits.

Also this is presuming "Etruscan influence" is a thing and the Romans aren't just weird Etruscans, which is itself a controversial assumption.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 25, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Safety Biscuits posted:

For people to hold and touch. Ink and paint sit on top of parchment, they don't sink into it. You have to avoid touching the letters and the art

Sometimes for art that ended up never getting put on

Sometimes for people to put their notes in the margins

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

For people to hold and touch. Ink and paint sit on top of parchment, they don't sink into it. You have to avoid touching the letters and the art

The art would have had dicks right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

quite frequently, yes, although probably not to ward off evil spirits

:nws: https://i.pinimg.com/474x/6a/96/f1/6a96f132fa67aab215613d04e33983de--the-edge-medieval.jpg

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 25, 2018

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I never said anything about Priapus? Lares do have Etruscan elements but are you arguing that a single unclear example of influence invalidates the entire native Roman religion? That doesn't make sense. The only part there that's clearly borrowed is when lares begin to be depicted as anthropomorphic deities. The other spirits were not; the idea of anthropomorphic gods has no Roman basis and comes from Etruscans. Though there's literally nothing you can say about Roman/Etruscan cultural relationships that isn't controversial, since this all takes place well before the period where we start getting any decent amount of evidence.

E: Lares also aren't a great example on my part, I shouldn't post at 2:30 AM. They're too familiar as anthropomorphized deities. But they're just one category of a literally uncountable number of spirits.

Also this is presuming "Etruscan influence" is a thing and the Romans aren't just weird Etruscans, which is itself a controversial assumption.

My objection is to describing it as 'native,' implying that the state deities (Jupiter and so forth) are non-native. It's completely fair to point out that there were levels Roman religion below the state deities that were just as important to day to day life – minor deities (or 'spirits') of particular locations, etc. that people are less familiar with than the main pantheon. The Celts and Greeks had those too. But Jupiter and the rest of the pantheon are definitely native to Italic culture and descended from proto-IE culture. Native vs. non-native is not a very useful way to describe the situation, IMO.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it's all dicks

all of it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Roman/ancient history: The art would have had dicks right?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That "it's mine now, later hosers" look is the best.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Mods please change my name to "medieval dick weasel" please.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Family Values posted:

My objection is to describing it as 'native,' implying that the state deities (Jupiter and so forth) are non-native. It's completely fair to point out that there were levels Roman religion below the state deities that were just as important to day to day life – minor deities (or 'spirits') of particular locations, etc. that people are less familiar with than the main pantheon. The Celts and Greeks had those too. But Jupiter and the rest of the pantheon are definitely native to Italic culture and descended from proto-IE culture. Native vs. non-native is not a very useful way to describe the situation, IMO.

We're just splitting hairs about wording then. The named Roman gods are certainly a Roman thing, but it's also true that they're part of that shared religious culture that we also see with the Greeks, Etruscans, etc. The Mediterranean at least, or the hypothesis those are the PIE gods and every named pantheon in Europe is derived from it. Either way, that's definitely a widely shared tradition, even if the Roman version of it is particular to the Romans. The Roman spirit world is to my knowledge not shared by other cultures in Europe. There are other animist traditions but they're different. That said, there's so little we can say for sure about it because we don't have stories and inscriptions and great temples and whatnot the way we do with the anthropomorphic Roman gods that it's possible that is also a shared European animist tradition. We just keep running into the same barrier, we know so little about very early Roman/proto-Roman culture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Bitch why would I want a raw fish when I’ve got this rock hard dick in my mouth?

-me and the dick weasel

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
SHUT UP AND LOOK AT THE ENGRAVING

instead of a cross on her rosary that woman has a hanging dong

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

SHUT UP AND LOOK AT THE ENGRAVING

instead of a cross on her rosary that woman has a hanging dong

Which variant of Catholicism uses that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I've heard talk about Roman "Laren and Penaten" before. Are the "Penates" the non-anthropomorphic spirits?

Anyway, the Roman spirit world fascinates me, as it weirdly resembles the Germanic idea that the world is filled with tiny dwarf people, air spirits and wood spirits (Waldschrate) you have to placate (or sometimes you just don't have to be rude). Of course thanks to Christianity bulldozing everything over, it's incredibly hard to decide from our view point if this was something the Germanics came up with themselves, or if some odd cultural cross-contamination took place, considering the history between the Germanic and the Roman people. (Even up here in North Germany, every year more remnants of Roman occupation are found.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Libluini posted:

Are the "Penates" the non-anthropomorphic spirits?

No, they're another category of household gods/spirits like the lares. I don't know if there is a term for the spirits that inhabited the world in general. This is what happens when you switch from Soviet to Roman history halfway through college and never learned Latin.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sullat posted:

The fun one.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Grand Fromage posted:

No, they're another category of household gods/spirits like the lares. I don't know if there is a term for the spirits that inhabited the world in general. This is what happens when you switch from Soviet to Roman history halfway through college and never learned Latin.

Numen?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Possibly. I remember numen as sort of any divine force which wouldn't preclude the spirits, but I'm not sure it is specifically them. Or that the Romans even had a term like that, modern people trying to make some sort of specific animist spirit category with a name attached may not be something Romans would even have recognized as a thing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Numen? Yay!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Numen yay!

ancient history right?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Most/all of the cultures of the classical era had folk mythology/religion (paganus) that the commoners and peasants practiced but that the elite looked down their noses at. Since the elites were (mostly) the ones writing history, it either gets left out or belittled.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The written religions of the period tended to be communal where there wasn't much room for religious activity at the individual level for non priests. It makes sense there'd be parallel spiritualism for the lower classes

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

sullat posted:

Benedicktines.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

Squalid posted:

Bugs/mice eat the edges of the page so you need to leave a wide margin

Thanks, that all makes sense.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

Surely this is far more likely than them being trojans though, right? What else could they really be?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

underage at the vape shop posted:

Surely this is far more likely than them being trojans though, right? What else could they really be?

That's what GF was saying - the assumption that they aren't "weird Etruscans" is controversial.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Native to Italy, like the Etruscans, but not really the same thing, as evinced by their very different languages. "It came from Asia Minor" traditions were not unique to Rome; the Greeks believed the Etruscans were descended from some kind of Anatolians too. I think scholarly orthodoxy these days would lean more towards the idea that the Romans were not Etruscans in any meaningful sense, but gained their ideas of governance and civilization largely thanks to them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nobody knows. The Romans clearly have a lot of Etruscan cultural elements in them, but the fact that they speak a language unrelated to Etruscan is a real impediment for the people who argue they're just Etruscans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Grand Fromage posted:

Possibly. I remember numen as sort of any divine force which wouldn't preclude the spirits, but I'm not sure it is specifically them. Or that the Romans even had a term like that, modern people trying to make some sort of specific animist spirit category with a name attached may not be something Romans would even have recognized as a thing.

The way my Latin teacher told us a decade in a half ago, numen was originally the term used for the spirits and it later got used for other divine stuff as well.

That may however have just been his belief or what he was taught in university in the 70s, because looking back at it now, I don't think there's really a good way to tell what the word was used for based on the periods we have written sources from.