Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I saw the rifftrax version of Santa Claus and the content that got cut from the MST3K version takes it to a whole new level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Crazy Ferret posted:

Remembering the parts with the little boy brings it right back into :wtf:

I can understand the parade bit in that it exists and they hired an crazy lady to talk about it as a way to sell balloons. But everything with the kids wandering around a warehouse and "interacting" with the balloon characters is just mindbogglingly weird. It looks like something that would be labeled "Evidence A".

Great riffs though. I really like having a good stable of Rifftraxs though Amazon Prime.

I would not be surprised to find that that movie was made by some pedo trying to groom kids or something. Probably the Sea King guy.

Also its more evidence that in the 50s, adults thought kids only enjoyed nursery rhymes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fun in Balloon Land is right up there with Setting Up a Room where you wonder what circumstances led people to set up and film such a thing.

On the other hand, there are no Marrying Turkeys in the room construction short.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
IS there any extensive background information about Fun in Balloonland? It feels like it's one of those things that'll curse you if you do any research.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

tankadillo posted:

I saw the rifftrax version of Santa Claus and the content that got cut from the MST3K version takes it to a whole new level.

I'm glad that both things exist now, because I am hungry for more riffing than MST3K can provide, but I also really like the puppet show aspect of it, and feel it and the skits add something to the experience that Rifftrax lacks. That said, I wish they played whole movies without cutting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fun in Balloon Land is on record as Mike's favorite thing he's ever riffed. Also remember that Mike suffers from some neurological condition that means he at some level has a constant headache of varying intensities at all times.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I must have been a bad boy because I haven't gotten my gift certificate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I must have been a bad boy because I haven't gotten my gift certificate.

Make sure to check the spam folder because that happened to me last year when they sent them out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know why but Waverly cracks me up.

And googling up fun in Balloonland comes up with the Cinema Snob and rifftrax episodes, and that's it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i love m. waverly and growler

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this! posted:

Make sure to check the spam folder because that happened to me last year when they sent them out.

Nope. Nothing there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe you have to have spent a certain amount over the year to qualify?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Balloon Land, I lose it at "Yay Yay!" every time.

That, Ice Cream Bunny, Star Wars Christmas Special are my Rifftrax gauntlet. Love 'em all.

At some point, I need to watch the Cinematic Titanic Santa Claus Conquerors the Martians.

Finished Season 12! I can't believe Cave Dwellers is the better Ator movie. Hell, the recap at the start of Cave Dwellers is a better movie.

Solid season overall. Dr. St. Phibes reminds me of early Mike hexfield appearances. They weren't great either, but he got way, way better.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe you have to have spent a certain amount over the year to qualify?

Doubt it. Rifftrax sent me a :10bux: gift card last night, and while I've contributed to a few of their kickstarters, I've never actually bought anything from them directly.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The live show had a fun bit with Dr. St. Phibes and actually had a video that explained her.

Also someone posted a news article about the balloon parade. Apparently they had bad weather and the balloons we're lovely to begin with.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 26, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Powered Descent posted:

Doubt it. Rifftrax sent me a :10bux: gift card last night, and while I've contributed to a few of their kickstarters, I've never actually bought anything from them directly.

I expect it's a random drawing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know why but Waverly cracks me up.

And googling up fun in Balloonland comes up with the Cinema Snob and rifftrax episodes, and that's it.

The only explanation is that a hit was sent out to everyone involved in Balloonland so that any dark info won't see the light of day.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jet Jaguar posted:

Fun in Balloon Land is right up there with Setting Up a Room where you wonder what circumstances led people to set up and film such a thing.

fun in balloon land is an advertisement for an inflatable novelty company

setting up a room is a training video on how to arrange the furniture in a young children educational space and the things you may want to consider, like "put the paints and messy crafts near the bathrooms"

what makes them weird is the odd attempts to film them with a little narrative rather than in a flatter, boring, more direct infomercial or educational style. most of the time that doesn't work but sometimes it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFEXGYP1r1A

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Powered Descent posted:

I got one too. Ordered the latest Shorts collection.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Even some of the ones being riffed aren't actually that bad and would be kinda fun in a cheesy way if you were in the industry being targetted. Like the bread one or Hired from MST, or Shake Hands With Danger from Rifftrax.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of RiffTrax I wonder how many more Norman shorts are out there. If you haven't had the pleasure, Norman is the star of a series of comedic(?) shorts wherein the perpetually harried and put-upon lead is cursed by God to fail at even the most minor of tasks he attempts to accomplish.* However, it's not slapstick - I mean, it may attempt such - but it's far too joyless. I'm genuinely baffled as to who they were for. Like if Tim and Eric tried to make anti-humor in the 70's, they might have made Norman.

*Seriously, he never talks in the shorts, although others do. The only verbalization he makes is this sort of long, drawn out sigh like he is constantly discovering he stepped in dog poop.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 26, 2018

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

the scene in shake hands with danger where the guy's arm gets sheared off is legitimately upsetting, even though the fake arm had no bones or anything. i think the audience found it pretty horrific too

i think norman was the knockoff mr. bean minus any of the charm, joy, or ingenuity

edit: uuuuuugggghhhh

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i think norman was the knockoff mr. bean minus any of the charm, joy, or ingenuity

That was actually what I had read about these when somebody looked into them. HBO used to show Mr. Bean shorts to fill time in between movies, and one of the other networks, possibly Showtime, had Norman in their rotation.

I'm guessing the instructions to the filmmaker were something like, "Give us something to fill 10 minutes that's cheaper than licensing a Mr. Bean equivalent," and somehow this was the result.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the premium channels need filler because they show moves uncut and have no commercials and sometimes you don't want just 20 minutes of promos. Most of the time it's filled up by "First Look" type material but sometimes they get creative.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the premium channels need filler because they show moves uncut and have no commercials and sometimes you don't want just 20 minutes of promos. Most of the time it's filled up by "First Look" type material but sometimes they get creative.

I remember when HBO first started out. They had a POV short of a guy riding a bike through a park.

In the early 80s, they used music videos as filler.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like PBS, they have short shows about local artists and nature and such to fill those gaps.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish we knew how well the new season did for Netflix

I hate how opaque this whole process is

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

if my rewatches are any indication, it's probably doing ok

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I let my YouTube wander where it would and it started The Undead, which I haven't seen in ages. My God, I'd forgotten the imp.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

luxury handset posted:

what makes them weird is the odd attempts to film them with a little narrative rather than in a flatter, boring, more direct infomercial or educational style. most of the time that doesn't work but sometimes it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFEXGYP1r1A

Oh wow!!! Thanks so much for this little film -- my dad enlisted in the Navy 1944, and mentions 'this crazy office picture' that they had to watch as part of their basic training stuff. (ETA -- he kept a diary. I learned more that way about 'short arm' inspections than any 10 year old kid needs to know.).

Not only was this a good laugh, but it was great to see the uniforms and stuff (I have my dad's entire uniform) and Miss Dibble's spectator pumps. My mum bought a pair in the late 40s that she kept for years that I played dress up with.

:allears: Really brightened up my morning.

Also: I love Fun in Balloonland because of all of the Centre City (Philadelphia) landmarks in view. Well, that, and also because it's batshit.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 27, 2018

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The Undead is a solid episode. That teaser with Mike going through some kind of work PTSD is a favorite.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i just saw "norman krasner", the stark, black and white, found-footage look really drives home the depression

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

That movie is really suspect, because why the gently caress is the little boy just wearing a tiny gold speedo the whole time? Creepy as gently caress.
"Guys, is this movie even legal?"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Clouseau posted:

The Undead is a solid episode. That teaser with Mike going through some kind of work PTSD is a favorite.

Don't forget Crow: "I'M AN IMP!"

Bridget has a memorable appearance; Kevin has a singing tour-de-force with the collected songs of Digger Smolken; the climax is hilarous even without the riffing, which is great. One of my favorites from the Sci-Fi Channel era.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
You know, I’ve never known more about what isn’t going on in a movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the scene in shake hands with danger where the guy's arm gets sheared off is legitimately upsetting, even though the fake arm had no bones or anything. i think the audience found it pretty horrific too

edit: uuuuuugggghhhh

Also, how many of you heard that riff (like the actual guitar riff) when I posted... Shake Hands With Danger.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dawgstar posted:

I let my YouTube wander where it would and it started The Undead, which I haven't seen in ages. My God, I'd forgotten the imp.

STOP DA MOVIE!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Jet Jaguar posted:

On the other hand, there are no Marrying Turkeys in the room construction short.

i need to watch this now because setting up a room is the best thing ever

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Thanks to you guys, I finally watched fun in balloon land... Just wow. It was amusing how drunk the narrator clearly was, insane story telling layers like ice cream bunny. When we got to the guessing game at the end and we were supposed to guess "crunch your teeth" it broke me.

I fell off the couch and couldn't stop laughing for a while. The horrible imagery of crunching my teeth still haunts me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Also, how many of you heard that riff (like the actual guitar riff) when I posted... Shake Hands With Danger.
BWOW WOWWWW

Antiquated Pants posted:

Thanks to you guys, I finally watched fun in balloon land... Just wow. It was amusing how drunk the narrator clearly was, insane story telling layers like ice cream bunny. When we got to the guessing game at the end and we were supposed to guess "crunch your teeth" it broke me.

I fell off the couch and couldn't stop laughing for a while. The horrible imagery of crunching my teeth still haunts me!