Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

not anymore, i think he got fired over personal political contributions.

edit: stepped down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

poverty goat posted:

I don't think anyone itt believes that tom Scott doesn't know about his Brave donations. That's even more absurd than 2 pages ago when everyone itt believed Brave was a crypto browser

I think you're misrepresenting the situation here. The problem, as far as I understood, happened as follows:

1. Brave gives users the option to donate to "creators" via BAT payments. In order to do so, Brave shows a picture of the creator in question, and a donate button. Everything there created the impression (since they now changed it) that the creator would receive the money, and is aware of the donations.
2. Brave will only notify the creator in question if they receive over 100 USD in donations (within 90 days) otherwise they'll keep these donations. No clear explanation exists of what happens if they don't know how to contact said creator, or if the creator doesn't want to take their funny money.
3. Tom Scott, in particularl, didn't know about these donations until someone pointed it out to him. Understandably, he didn't want a company to take money on his behalf, as if there was an actual connection between the two.
Do you see a problem with this model?

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 25, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Youtube still probably has like $70 from a video I made because they won't cut a check until it hits $100 or something like that. That was annoying bullshit, and I was aware it was happening! I'd be pretty loving mad if somebody was "collecting donations" on my behalf without my knowledge, especially if they don't pay out until it hits $100.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think any of us are still working on it since Brendan left.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Youtube still probably has like $70 from a video I made because they won't cut a check until it hits $100 or something like that. That was annoying bullshit, and I was aware it was happening! I'd be pretty loving mad if somebody was "collecting donations" on my behalf without my knowledge, especially if they don't pay out until it hits $100.

I got a check from Google for $40 after like 5 years of not meeting the minimum for their ad network. They will send you the money eventually.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Be nice, they worked really hard to come up with 'christofascist' when mom dragged them away from the Nintendo for Christmas Eve services.

good, organized religion is poo poo

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Zero One posted:

I got a check from Google for $40 after like 5 years of not meeting the minimum for their ad network. They will send you the money eventually.

I made $3 on MP3.com in 2000, never saw a cent!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

poverty goat posted:

I don't think anyone itt believes that tom Scott doesn't know about his Brave donations. That's even more absurd than 2 pages ago when everyone itt believed Brave was a crypto browser
Has Brave collected money for you to post better

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah but they kept it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

poverty goat posted:

I don't think anyone itt believes that tom Scott doesn't know about his Brave donations.
its like how stealing isnt wrong because sometimes a person being stolen from is able to prevent the theft

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

divabots article posted:

According to Brave’s terms of service, once Brave collects BAT tokens in your name, you have 90 days to pick them up. After that, unclaimed tips that originated as grants go back into the system to eventually get redistributed, while tips that came from user-funded tokens are frozen indefinitely. 
How do you know if BAT tokens are waiting for you? According to the project’s website, you can find out by verifying your domain through Brave. Otherwise, once Brave has accumulated $100 worth of BAT tokens on your behalf, the system sends an email to the webmaster and the registered domain owner of your site, based on WHOISinformation. The email explains how to verify the ownership of your website.

Hahahaha gently caress eich

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Hahahaha gently caress eich

he created javascript so he's already responsible for making the web suck

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Taking money and turning it to credit tokens for someone to try and tell a webmaster "hey I would subscribe to an ad free version of this" is the weirdest thing I've heard out of this thread and this thread has come from some places.

I don't want to reflex say this is a bad thing but the way to do this legally and ethically is something you'd never get me to think about without a huge paycheck.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
idk what’s wrong with the brave doing that, I mean browser devs gotta eat too and it’s not like it’ll be worse then the ad funding that current twitch users get, so I say go ahead brave, replace those donations buttons, I’m sure those twitch streamers will appreciate it when they’re making more off of brave tokens then us tokens

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The big sticking point is that they're doing this without the knowledge or consent of the creators, and if the creators do not collect this money they don't loving know about, then Brave keeps the money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

My Linux Rig posted:

idk what’s wrong with the brave doing that, I mean browser devs gotta eat too and it’s not like it’ll be worse then the ad funding that current twitch users get, so I say go ahead brave, replace those donations buttons, I’m sure those twitch streamers will appreciate it when they’re making more off of brave tokens then us tokens

You had a good strategy but posts like these are where you get too fancy. Your trolling strategy was better before.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

MechaCrash posted:

The big sticking point is that they're doing this without the knowledge or consent of the creators, and if the creators do not collect this money they don't loving know about, then Brave keeps the money.

yeah just like twitch and YouTube, what’s the issue?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the twitter responses have been full of unquiet ghosts like our poor dear departed MLR, crypto bros who have never spoken to a human nor had a non-creepy interaction with one, so they honestly can't see what's wrong with this idea.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah just like twitch and YouTube, what’s the issue?

:ironicat:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Like there's the piece of me going, well they just need to be clear in the transactional terms of the advocational role of Brave in attempting to pay webmasters and failure to contact or cut a deal with the webmaster may result in some or all of the payment being kept as administrative overhead.

Then the smarter reflexive part of me is like wait wait back it up, they are reauthoring web content locally in the browser in a way that promotes payment of an unrelated entity? Thats like the last thing that could contribute to a healthy internet, no matter how many times the shittiest wikis crash the entire computer.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

My Linux Rig posted:

browser devs gotta eat too

Browser dev companies get paid shitloads by companies that want to optimise their websites, generally speaking. Mozilla probably makes hilarious fortunes out of consulting, but even the small ones make mad bank because there's not that many around and a lot of demand.

Individual browser devs, boy howdy, if you ever have been a Chrome dev, companies will literally throw money at you to make their Lighthouse score higher, no joke

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

no corporation is throwing money at Brave to make a browser that thwarts all their lovely ads and trackers, but it's chromium-based so most of that work has already been done by throwing money at google

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you don't want to use Chrome, get Vivaldi or Firefox and install Ublock Origin. Don't use the lovely crypto browser with the questionable business model all about "facilitating" donations and replacing ads on websites with their own ones.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lambert posted:

If you don't want to use Chrome, get Vivaldi or Firefox and install Ublock Origin. Don't use the lovely crypto browser with the questionable business model all about "facilitating" donations and replacing ads on websites with their own ones.

Brave is a better browser than vivaldi, and is faster than chrome or firefox with adblock/privacybadger despite having those things built in as core features out of the box. it has nothing to do with crypto, you retards, I don't even know why this discussion is in the bitcoin thread

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

poverty goat posted:

no corporation is throwing money at Brave to make a browser that thwarts all their lovely ads and trackers, but it's chromium-based so most of that work has already been done by throwing money at google

No they don't care about Brave, but by virtue of it being a browser I guarantee they had at least 10 companies approach them asking "how much for consulting on performance optimisation?"

poverty goat posted:

it has nothing to do with crypto, you retards

Isn't that BATshit supposed to be some crypto token or something? A quick google search (not Brave) seems to suggest so

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Brave is a better browser than vivaldi, and is faster than chrome or firefox with adblock/privacybadger despite having those things built in as core features out of the box. it has nothing to do with crypto, you retards, I don't even know why this discussion is in the bitcoin thread

Whoa kiddo, don’t be getting mad about web browser discussions. You don’t need to defend brave’s honor here.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this thread has some strange ideas about what Brave is because it was introduced to everyone as a "crypto browser" in the bitcoin thread is all. weird donation system aside, it's a really good browser and has nothing to do with crypto

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

poverty goat posted:

this thread has some strange ideas about what Brave is because it was introduced to everyone as a "crypto browser" in the bitcoin thread is all. weird donation system aside, it's a really good browser and has nothing to do with crypto

I think taking donations for someone without their consent is shady as gently caress. How good will the browser be when the major players are arrested for fraud?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think because this is in the bitcoin thread everyone has jumped off the deep end of assuming that all of this is in bad faith but they've put way too much work into their product for it all to be a weird donation scam. That said, I can't imagine that they can continue down their current path and not go under now that they've botched everything and created a PR disaster, e: and no I don't know what they were thinking when they put this together. it fails basic sanity tests

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 26, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I think because this is in the bitcoin thread everyone has jumped off the deep end of assuming that all of this is in bad faith but they've put way too much work into their product for it all to be a weird donation scam. That said, I can't imagine that they can continue down their current path and not go under now that they've botched everything and created a PR disaster

I mean the plans to replace the removed ads with their own ads was also a sign that good faith wasn’t a thing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sickening posted:

I mean the plans to replace the removed ads with their own ads was also a sign that good faith wasn’t a thing.

honestly I kinda figured that was nuts enough that it would never come to pass. buuuut here we are

there's no good faith in tracking/advertising anyway though. it's a sign of good faith that he's trying to give any money to these assholes at all

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 26, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

idk man that BATman token looks suspiciously like crypto to me, and the fact that the developer is doing funny poo poo like stripping ads and donation buttons out of a website (Ads i could give less than a poo poo about, hurray for him, but donate buttons is a bigger issue) and replacing them with stupid bullshit that purchases their bullshit BATcoin (that they then do not report to the person whose donate buttons they replaced), is a pretty big deal in my mind.

It's pretty sleazy yo.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this whole brave donation thing has something very much in common with cryptocurrency. both plans make perfect sense if you start with a given that everyone knows about them and primarily uses them over any alternatives as though they were entrenched in public use on day 1. in that case how could it possibly be theft/not go to the moon?

the delusion doesnt really pass as an excuse once you see people getting scammed though

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 26, 2018

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I paid for opera back when it was cool and not just a reskin of some other engine

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I paid for Netscape 2.0 back when it came in a box.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had a trs-80 with a cassette deck.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I got a rock.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lambert posted:

:yeah:

Just installing uBlock Origin (and/or Privacy Badger) will do a shitload to help block ad tracking. If you're using Firefox, turn on first-party isolation (it's not yet available in Chrome as far as I know) which pretty much shuts down cross-site tracking entirely and is exactly how cookies should have worked since the very start. (Note that this will also break single-sign-on systems, though. You might use one of those at work, but probably not on your personal system.)

There's more you can do, but this is the point where you start hitting diminishing returns. I keep meaning to make a proper thread about VPNs and all that good paranoid stuff, as soon as I find time to make a decent OP...

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Not many countries left where mining is profitable at $3700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

If you're using Firefox, turn on first-party isolation
very nice