Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Giga Gaia posted:

Every record I've gotten from them is easily top tier in terms of quality, both in packaging and sound quality.
Sounds so good, even the Roadworms tracks sparkle. :allears:

Secret Records seem to be the only company that are doing up Residents albums the correct way. Cherry Red/MVD have the studio album back-catalog and are too busy putting all their effort into CDs with their pREServed series (which are absolutely loving phenomenal with all the demo stuff) but their LPs are absolutely lacking. The Intruders vinyl cuts three songs and re-sequences the tracks. Psychofon puts out lavish one-off special editions for $100 and then re-presses it due to "popular demand" before the initial run even sells out. Rude.

They're currently working on a "very special vinyl only presentation of the ‘Eskimo’ album in the first few months of 2019" which is worded interestingly. The LP's been re-issued by MVD in the last two or three years and still can be picked up in stores and the pREServed CD's out next month. New mix? Demos pressed to LP? Diskomo 2019? I don't really visit Eskimo all that often, but I'm intrigued at the possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

OH poo poo. Jimmy of The Frogs is doing a show in L.A. on the 17th of January and he's teasing "the 30 year release reissue edition of a certain crucial Frogs LP" which points to hands down one of my favorite albums of all time It's Only Right and Natural.

Currently in a scramble to figure out if I can fly out for this one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

OH poo poo. Jimmy of The Frogs is doing a show in L.A. on the 17th of January and he's teasing "the 30 year release reissue edition of a certain crucial Frogs LP" which points to hands down one of my favorite albums of all time It's Only Right and Natural.

Currently in a scramble to figure out if I can fly out for this one.

Oh good, maybe now I can buy a copy of that for less than a hundred dollars.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

trdn89 posted:

Stylus scale (this is a particularly nice gift since it’s incredibly useful but rarely used): https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/ref=sr_1_7

This is a 100% essential purchase. I thought I had my turntable more-or-less balanced but then using this made me realize I was more than a gram too heavy.

Also my first impression for those MoFi sleeves: exactly what I was looking for. I had been getting spoiled by most VMP records coming in anti-static sleeves and I was bothered that my David Axelrod reissues -- while otherwise fantastic -- had the records stored in basic paper sleeves.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I agree, a scale is great. I was like a gram over too.

After fixing my tracking force and using a protractor to dial in the cartridge alignment, much better sound and less skipping.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

VMP announced some new records today and among them is a VMP Exclusive of "Bad Neighbor", the collaboration between MED, Blue, and Madlib on red/black vinyl. It looks like the RHH Record of the Month is going to be 400 Degreez by Juvenile which I can respect, but isn't really my thing. Will probably swap for Carter II (if available to swap) or Goodie Mobb.

Along with 400 Degreez, Flying Lotus’ Cosmogramma is all but confirmed as the next VMP Essentials album of the month, while Classics is looking to be Blossom Dearie’s 1957 self-titled LP.

I think I might end up getting all three. So much for me cutting back on my vinyl purchases for 2019 :retrogames:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 20, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

Along with 400 Degreez, Flying Lotus’ Cosmogramma is all but confirmed as the next VMP Essentials album of the month, while Classics is looking to be Blossom Dearie’s 1957 self-titled LP.

I think I might end up getting all three. So much for me cutting back on my vinyl purchases for 2019 :retrogames:

Yah I think I am definitely swapping 400 Degreez for Cosmogramma if that's the Essentials. DOn't have any Flying Lotus on vinyl yet.

I know there are a couple DOOM fans here and one person liked that Soul Beach LP I posted from producer Cookin' Soul. He just posted a project he finished for the holidays where he sampled classic Christmas songs and put DOOM acapellas over the beats. I checked out the first track which is a sample of Nat King Cole's "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" and its dope. Here is a link if anyone wants to check it out or grab the vinyl.

https://cookinsoul.bandcamp.com/album/doom-xmas-mf-doom-remixes

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m hoping they do something really fancy for cosmagramma since i already have it. I think it was originally released as a double LP, but it sounds great in general. Maybe flip that for some other stuff and keep the presumably higher end version.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I pre-ordered Avril Lavigne's "Head Above Water" vinyl. I hope the albums good and the vinyl is good quality.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

MrSargent posted:

Yah I think I am definitely swapping 400 Degreez for Cosmogramma if that's the Essentials. DOn't have any Flying Lotus on vinyl yet.

I know there are a couple DOOM fans here and one person liked that Soul Beach LP I posted from producer Cookin' Soul. He just posted a project he finished for the holidays where he sampled classic Christmas songs and put DOOM acapellas over the beats. I checked out the first track which is a sample of Nat King Cole's "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" and its dope. Here is a link if anyone wants to check it out or grab the vinyl.

https://cookinsoul.bandcamp.com/album/doom-xmas-mf-doom-remixes

I had thought I had posted in here before I about it but I guess not! I got the 45 a while back! Thanks for the bonus Earth Wind and Fire!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up a couple albums I've been wanting for a while now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Part of today's Christmas haul: Very 'eavy, Very 'umble, Demons & Wizards, The Magician's Birthday and Live 1973 by Uriah Heep.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Opened my presents from my girlfriend

https://twitter.com/SeeSpotGoranger/status/1077717369844391940?s=19

Two of my all time favorite albums, I don't even give a poo poo that London calling is a super basic pick

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Two of my all time favorite albums, I don't even give a poo poo that London calling is a super basic pick

David Comes To Life became a VERY personal record for me and I hope you enjoy it like I do.

Also anyone who dislikes London Calling...I dunno, man.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Clash loving rules

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Picked up, for my lady initially, a AT-LP 120 + Edifier R1280T Speakers and:
Sam Smith "The Thrill of it All"
Journey Greatest Hits
Bob Seger Greatest hits

Vinyl Me monthly subscription with the essentials coming our way

This is gonna be an expensive new hobby as I'm already eyeing the Tool discography + Nujabes + Synth rock in the vein of Hotline Miami/Chromatics(thanks to about 15 pages ago as I was reading up on this thread)

Kinda stoked honestly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

David Comes To Life became a VERY personal record for me and I hope you enjoy it like I do.

Also anyone who dislikes London Calling...I dunno, man.

I loving ADORE David, when it came out I listened to the CD in my car for months on end. I genuinely think side A/the first act is a completely flawless EP worth of material, and o think the album as a whole is one of the best love story albums

Also London calling I'd the first punk album I ever listened to and I wouldn't be listening to hosed Up without it so she absolutely crushed it on the LPs

Now I really just need a copy of the Ramones' Leave Home and maybe Milo Goes to College and I'll have my essentials

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

esperantinc posted:

I had thought I had posted in here before I about it but I guess not! I got the 45 a while back! Thanks for the bonus Earth Wind and Fire!

Awesome! Glad to hear you liked the bonus 45 as well.

My wife did this for me for Christmas and I think she knocked it out of the park.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Edit: I'll PM

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oops VMP let the cat out of the bag a little early with this ad. Not that we were expecting something else but it’s a nice early first look. Definitely gonna pick it up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Amazon has Rush - Moving Pictures for $7.40 shipped right now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QR7ZPH8

Also, I already own Cosmogramma on vinyl and I resent this feeling of wanting to buy a newly remastered version.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Amazon has Rush - Moving Pictures for $7.40 shipped right now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QR7ZPH8

Also, I already own Cosmogramma on vinyl and I resent this feeling of wanting to buy a newly remastered version.

Temporarily out of stock, but it let me buy. Nice find!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Enos Cabell posted:

They also just announced exclusive pressings for Los Angeles, Until the Quiet Comes, and Pattern+Grid World.

The only FlyLo vinyl I have is You’re Dead (thx thread for letting me know it was on sale for :10bux: that one time), so everything VMP is throwing at me here is extremely tempting.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Got what was supposed to be the Ocean/Mono split from Amazon, except it turned out to be Porcupine Tree's Coma Divine.

And even worse, it looks like someone had just roughly stuck the ocean filing sticker over the Porcupine tree one. It wasn't even fully covering the PT one so you could see it listed as Coma Divine.

poo poo like that bugs the hell out of me, even though it's a small thing. It comes off like they realized they didn't actually have the album in stock, so grabbed one sitting right nearby, slapped the proper sticker on, and sent it out. Like, that's 100% gonna end up as a return, so why even do it in the first place?

Admittedly this is the first time I've had a record fuckup from Amazon iirc, but it was so blatant that I prob won't use them for older or less common records anymore (ignoring non-Amazon vendors there, those guys are fine if not more expensive).

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
But to be less bitchy, seems like Scared of the Dark is coming today, so I'll have some synth wave to jam on!

E: yesss I like this

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 27, 2018

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
has anyone got recommendations for record stores in Melbourne with a good variety of reasonably priced 2nd hand stuff?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ballz posted:

They also just announced exclusive pressings for Los Angeles, Until the Quiet Comes, and Pattern+Grid World.

The only FlyLo vinyl I have is You’re Dead (thx thread for letting me know it was on sale for :10bux: that one time), so everything VMP is throwing at me here is extremely tempting.

I'll sell my standard copy of Cosmagramma and keep the deluxe. I also ordered Los Angeles because that's the only album I need for him. $32 is ehhhh but the packaging looks really nice and I'm a sucker for numbered things. No way 500 of those last for long.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Received a Denon DP-300F for Christmas this year after talking about wanting to get into listening to and collecting records. I've never used a turntable before, so this has all been a big learning experience for me. Glad I found this thread for advice on how to take care of it. I've already amassed a small collection of LPs to play on it.

I do have a question for now, though: while listening to a remastered Queen LP that I got, my mom was saying that the originals sounded better. Is there that big a difference between original and remastered albums?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Potentially. It really varies by the album. Remasters can be almost identical, way better, or way worse and it really depends on who did the original cut/who remastered it.

There's a pretty good thread devoted to hardware in IYG too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

These threads move a little slow at times so it might be a good idea to bookmark them both.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
How much do you guys know about less "popular" vinyl like remixes and house music?

https://www.discogs.com/Abbacadabra-Dancing-Queen-Fernando/release/1193984
https://www.discogs.com/Roman-Holiday-Dream-Away/release/894491

I found someone's dump of UK label stuff at goodwill one day and bought ALL of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbfn4xbHiWB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I also like nice things and stuff:

And this is at a brewery in Winchester

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Framboise posted:

Received a Denon DP-300F for Christmas this year after talking about wanting to get into listening to and collecting records. I've never used a turntable before, so this has all been a big learning experience for me. Glad I found this thread for advice on how to take care of it. I've already amassed a small collection of LPs to play on it.

I do have a question for now, though: while listening to a remastered Queen LP that I got, my mom was saying that the originals sounded better. Is there that big a difference between original and remastered albums?

It depends greatly on a number of factors mainly who did the remaster and what was the source. A lot of reissues are just second rate crap poo poo out on a disc to milk the cash cow while many others are beautifully restored versions lovingly created to reveal things never previously heard on the recording before and will rival any previous version. Most are somewhere in the middle. In any case you'll find entire forums devoted to weirdos arguing endlessly about it. My best advice is that in every case never buy anything issued by a label called Three Men With Beards. They basically just press a CD on to vinyl. My favorite reissue labels (which also have a good reputation and catalog, and use original tapes when possible) are Sundazed, Superior Viaduct, and Light in the Attic.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Queen remasters are done with a lot of care. They worked from high resolution digital files to make the vinyl masters. They couldn't do a full analog pressing since the tapes needed a bit of work.

But there's a lot of choices people can make that impact the style. For example, do you like to give a bass boost or pump up the treble. So it could also be a matter taste rather than one being quantifiably better or worse.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The box set for Stadium Arcadium was mastered by Steve Hoffman completely in analog and it is the best sounding pressing I've ever heard.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

revmoo posted:

The box set for Stadium Arcadium was mastered by Steve Hoffman completely in analog and it is the best sounding pressing I've ever heard.

This is the last album I really enjoyed by RHCP. Even though it was a double album, I didn't feel like there was as much filler as I expected. I think I went through the whole album at some point and was trying to decide if it would have been better if it was consolidated. Came to the conclusion that if I was getting rid of half the songs, I was inevitably getting rid of some I really liked.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

revmoo posted:

unfortunately the music on it is still by the red hot chilli peppers

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But does it count for the question "did you ever pay money to hear music performed by the California funk-rock group the Red Hot Chili Peppers?"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the gently caress is this GARBAGE?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.- Nick Cave

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

My wife has been making fun of me for years for liking the Chili Peppers so this is a response I am used to, lol. I don't really listen to them anymore, but if nothing else they did get me into some objectively great music like George Clinton and stuff Rick Rubin was involved with.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Nick Cave and glass houses and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

revmoo posted:

I think this is kinda cool because in the CD world the RHCP are known for having some of the worst, if not the worst sounding masters. Californication may be the loudest overcompressed album ever made, at least on CD.