Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

surc posted:

Whoops

This looks like a series of good decisions to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gotta be honest Mario + Rabbids still isn't attaching too hard as of end of World 1. It's not bad or anything, I guess I'm just plain not as interested in strategy type games anymore :shrug:

Back to the list of games I bought and never finished, and DQ Builders came up. Been long enough that I'll start over on that too, but I remember it being a lot of fun as far as I got

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Gotta be honest Mario + Rabbids still isn't attaching too hard as of end of World 1. It's not bad or anything, I guess I'm just plain not as interested in strategy type games anymore :shrug:

Back to the list of games I bought and never finished, and DQ Builders came up. Been long enough that I'll start over on that too, but I remember it being a lot of fun as far as I got

It’s probably a big rehash since we’re late to the party but I’m enjoying the combat and weapons/skill stuff in M+R but the overland stuff is kind of weird. Not off putting and I totally see what they are going for but I’m not really loving the running around following the robot to get to the next fight stuff. Wish it had more basebuilding or something but...

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

squirrelzipper posted:

It’s probably a big rehash since we’re late to the party but I’m enjoying the combat and weapons/skill stuff in M+R but the overland stuff is kind of weird. Not off putting and I totally see what they are going for but I’m not really loving the running around following the robot to get to the next fight stuff. Wish it had more basebuilding or something but...

The overworld stuff is irredeemable annoying padding. Literally nothing interesting ever happens. It's clearly for young children but doesn't scale well into adulthood like the actual fights do. Surely unlocks and bonuses could have been tied to specific gameplay challenges and not, *sigh*, flipping switches and sliding blocks. Really good gameplay mixed with really bad gameplay is the most frustrating type of game, to me, because it's such an emotional rollercoaster with continuously crushed expectations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

content posted:

Handheld :/

e: controllers up to date, too.
have you turned it off and on again?

content
Feb 13, 2014

bowmore posted:

have you turned it off and on again?

Yeah, still a little laggy. I played some Yoku, and there was no issue there. Even just booted up the original on a CRT, and it felt great. It’s pretty minimal, but it definitely just feels off.

e: tried docked and recalibrated controls, same deal. Even if I’m on my home planet, if I quickly move the stick all the way to one direction (so you can hear/feel it stop) Prince doesn’t move for a split second. Looks like some other people online experiencing this. Doesn’t ruin the game, but it’s a bummer.

content fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 26, 2018

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If you're playing Mario Kart and NOT swearing at cartoon characters, are you even really playing?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The stick sensitivity has been acting up on my left joycon. Have I been nibbling/licking it too much? There weren't any precautions in the manual about this.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Blow through it as fast as you can until world 3 where it starts getting really fun, especially the challenges.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Catastronauts is a good game, better than overcooked imo. It plays pretty much like it but with less fiddly optimising elements and much more crisis management, would recommend.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my friends finally got on the switch train this xmas and thus my love for Mario Kart has been reinvigorated

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

number one pta fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqI5yJOsao

Anyone tried these 8bitdo SNES controllers? They look sick. Controller with a d-pad as the priority movement control really appeals to me.

I own the non-pro version (ie no joystick) and it's amazing, but it did have issues with the d-pad's diagonals. I fixed it with tape and it worked perfectly, I beat Celeste with it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Into the Breach and Hollow Knight are $5 on the Mexico eShop.

Note for new Switch owners: The Switch is region free. There's nothing to stop you from creating a Mexican account and buying the game for their price and enjoying it wherever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been playing the Smash spirit world thing all day... I feel like a child. The four star spirits are too hard :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

Into the Breach and Hollow Knight are $5 on the Mexico eShop.

Note for new Switch owners: The Switch is region free. There's nothing to stop you from creating a Mexican account and buying the game for their price and enjoying it wherever.
Cheers, time to re-buy into the breach

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

JBP posted:

I've been playing the Smash spirit world thing all day... I feel like a child. The four star spirits are too hard :(

Don't expect to be able to reasonably beat 4-star spirits without an optimized loadout. They're meant as progress gates that can technically be sequence-broke through exceptional play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't expect to be able to reasonably beat 4-star spirits without an optimized loadout. They're meant as progress gates that can technically be sequence-broke through exceptional play.

I've just left them on their own. A lot of them seem to just be hard challenges you can come back to. The amazing Street Fighter world tour sorted me out for a four star and I beat one other, but most of them are crazy and my eyes can't actually track what's happening while my guy gets slammed from 0-100 in ten seconds.

E: actually I've beat a few now that I think, but the ones in the "dungeon" areas or whatever are loving crazy

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 26, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got captain toad for Xmas. What an aggressively insanely adorable game :3:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

better quality Megaton Musashi trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBChNkeZtc0

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

JBP posted:

I've just left them on their own. A lot of them seem to just be hard challenges you can come back to. The amazing Street Fighter world tour sorted me out for a four star and I beat one other, but most of them are crazy and my eyes can't actually track what's happening while my guy gets slammed from 0-100 in ten seconds.

E: actually I've beat a few now that I think, but the ones in the "dungeon" areas or whatever are loving crazy

So far I have noped out on fire breathing Charlazard, Bayonetta spamming Eddie Gordo moves, and one other fight around where I assume Solid Snake unlocks. I’m not even sure if any of those fights are 4 star. I’ve been able to bypass all of them.

Also yarn Yoshi whipped my rear end.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I got bored of WoL and just wanted to power through it and using the Ore Club helped me do just that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

So far I have noped out on fire breathing Charlazard, Bayonetta spamming Eddie Gordo moves, and one other fight around where I assume Solid Snake unlocks. I’m not even sure if any of those fights are 4 star. I’ve been able to bypass all of them.

That loving Charizard, what the hell... I tried the one in the snake area and went nah gently caress this after one try. I think some do gate content (I got The Boss in my travels and was really excited!) but those fights are way less insane than the ones I've seen in fortresses/dungeons/whatevers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Over There posted:

I got bored of WoL and just wanted to power through it and using the Ore Club helped me do just that.

The best wol missions are the ones where six angry cartoon characters come to fight me and they are immediately enveloped in the cleansing fires of the rocket gun plus ranged bonus spirit. Doubly good if the enemy dudes are big targets.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

How is The Mega Man X collection on Switch? I read a review that said it had slow down issues, is that true? I have some eshop credit from Christmas and either want that while it's on sale or Celeste.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

The best wol missions are the ones where six angry cartoon characters come to fight me and they are immediately enveloped in the cleansing fires of the rocket gun plus ranged bonus spirit. Doubly good if the enemy dudes are big targets.

I have no guilt for cheesing when we have battles where the CPUs gang up on you and can calculate a long chain combo with each other

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Agreed. I get bored when it's long stretches of Mr. Anime fighters from Fire Emblem, but then you get like all jigglypuffs who just use sleep and it becomes worth it again. The fly fight was genius.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Gang fights are annoying. I think the most annoying gang fight I've done so far is the Kirby gang with Star Rods. There was also a group of rolling Jigglypuffs on a lava floor stage.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wildtortilla posted:

Gang fights are annoying. I think the most annoying gang fight I've done so far is the Kirby gang with Star Rods. There was also a group of rolling Jigglypuffs on a lava floor stage.

Yep. Those loving kirbys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Pro-tip for the fire-breathing Charizard: The fire counts as a projectile, and you can snap the difficulty clean over your knee if you use a Spirit that lets you start the fight with a Franklin Badge :ssh:.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

loudog999 posted:

How is The Mega Man X collection on Switch? I read a review that said it had slow down issues, is that true? I have some eshop credit from Christmas and either want that while it's on sale or Celeste.

It doesn't have "slowdown issues" it has true-to-original slowdown in the same places the SNES version slowed down. I highly recommend it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Zibidibodel posted:

It doesn't have "slowdown issues" it has true-to-original slowdown in the same places the SNES version slowed down. I highly recommend it.

Ok, that's what I was hoping was the case when reading the review but wanted a second opinion. Thanks

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mario vs rabbits is a bad game. Into the Breach is a good game.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Empress Brosephine posted:

Mario vs rabbits is a bad game. Into the Breach is a good game.

I wanted to be the kind of person that agrees with you, but man I just can't dance with the "gently caress you, go back to the start" structure of Into the Breach.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Bob posted:

I wanted to be the kind of person that agrees with you, but man I just can't dance with the "gently caress you, go back to the start" structure of Into the Breach.

It's more like "gently caress you, press the rewind button"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Bob posted:

Understandable. I personally can’t get past map 2 and I wish it was more like Dead Cells in giving you something each run but I’m having fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

There is one in the Donkey Kong dungeon that is especially loving brutal and involves Bullet Bill being spammed all over the screen, and he can with close to 100% accuracy hit you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pro-tip for the fire-breathing Charizard: The fire counts as a projectile, and you can snap the difficulty clean over your knee if you use a Spirit that lets you start the fight with a Franklin Badge :ssh:.

Not even sure I have one of those yet.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

The overworld stuff is irredeemable annoying padding. Literally nothing interesting ever happens. It's clearly for young children but doesn't scale well into adulthood like the actual fights do. Surely unlocks and bonuses could have been tied to specific gameplay challenges and not, *sigh*, flipping switches and sliding blocks. Really good gameplay mixed with really bad gameplay is the most frustrating type of game, to me, because it's such an emotional rollercoaster with continuously crushed expectations.

I must be the only one who kinda likes the overworld. The scenery can be really charming and detailed, and the challenges are a bit like palate cleansers between the somewhat stressful strategy maps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I must be the only one who kinda likes the overworld. The scenery can be really charming and detailed, and the challenges are a bit like palate cleansers between the somewhat stressful strategy maps.

Yeah, I enjoyed the overworld puzzles. None of them stopped you from rushing straight through to the combat if you wanted to just go go go on the main quest and they were untimed little navigation bits that gave you the freedoms you didnt have in battles. The only real complaint I have is you move quite slowly during the overworld, a sprint button/20-40% higher base move speed would have been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I finished up Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom over the holiday and drat, what a phenomenal platformer. It is so much fun, with some light metroidvania elements and some tough platforming sections. I can't recommend it enough, I hope it doesn't get completely owned by coming out just before Smash Bros