Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

honestly I'm terrible at remembering the names of comics creators outside of some of the bigger examples so I actually can't name too many besides the obvious suspects like Greg Land, probably doesn't help that I don't actively follow comics from the big 2 these days for the most part

ah cool so you have no idea what you're talking about, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, some of the worst comics ever drawn have been very talented artists chasing the house style or even just the prevailing trend. Look at the litany of good pencillers who tried to copy Liefeld and McFarlane in the mid 90s and turned out butt-ugly work that looks ten times worse that what they're imitating.

Sure, look at poor Herb Trimpe. I know his stuff in the 90s has its defenders-- Michael Fiffe in particular-- but it's very clearly fighting mightily against their own sensibilities in order to conform to a stylistic template.

drrockso20 posted:

I'm not saying no one can use their own style, just that they should be able to handle the basics first before being allowed to be experimental for the most part

I mean, you were sort of saying that:

drrockso20 posted:

most artists should not be allowed to use their own unique styles

"House Style" and "the basics" aren't isometric and I'm a little skeptical of how permissive the margins of your "most" there is.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 25, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, some of the worst comics ever drawn have been very talented artists chasing the house style or even just the prevailing trend. Look at the litany of good pencillers who tried to copy Liefeld and McFarlane in the mid 90s and turned out butt-ugly work that looks ten times worse that what they're imitating.

I had to force myself not to immediately nope outta mayday spider-girl when seeing that 90s rear end art

drrockso20 posted:

honestly I'm terrible at remembering the names of comics creators outside of some of the bigger examples so I actually can't name too many besides the obvious suspects like Greg Land, probably doesn't help that I don't actively follow comics from the big 2 these days for the most part

Lol are you for real right now

site fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 25, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
99 percent of the big two artists can't draw for poo poo, also I don't follow big two comics enough to name any bad artists.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

drrockso20 posted:

If we're being honest 99% of the artists at the big two are mediocre at best, it's one of the reasons I bemoan the death of the "house style" at both companies, cause most artists should not be allowed to use their own unique styles

:stare:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm just bothered by how her top seems to switch strap sides.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm just bothered by how her top seems to switch strap sides.

It's drawn consistently in the actual comic, it just switches around on the covers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And here I thought someone had posted a lot of moving panels to celebrate goodwill to all men.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you want that, someone post the Ostrander's Spectre pages about Christmas.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

And here I thought someone had posted a lot of moving panels to celebrate goodwill to all men.

Um not quite but I do have the conclusion of All-Star SantaMan Klaus by Grant Morrison

"Once upon a time..."

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

TwoPair posted:

Um not quite but I do have the conclusion of All-Star SantaMan Klaus by Grant Morrison

"Once upon a time..."

The “it’s a big world and the sky goes on forever, Lord Jonas. I’ll just have to use my imagination.” is hardly the most original sentiment, but it’s very reminiscent of the Calvin and Hobbes finale “let’s go exploring”, and as such hits SO many right notes for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
this is more funny than moving because it's like Peter turning on Cap's Speech Module but I can't recally any touching X-mas pages

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Also Santa Claus literally exists in this universe. He's a mutant. Don't stop believing kids"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Everyone admiring Wolverine's claws.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Everyone admiring Wolverine's claws.

Except Jen Drew, who is apparently amused by shiny lights.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jessica Drew

Jennifer Carpenter is the other Spider-Woman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doc Strange is pointing out the mistletoe and she's saying to herself "at least he didn't hang it on his belt this year"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Doc Strange is pointing out the mistletoe and she's saying to herself "at least he didn't hang it on his belt this year"

I think there was a Christmas story where Jessica kept finding herself under the mistletoe because Tony or someone had it on drone moving it around. Not a story that would fly in 2018 probably.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

As much as I’ve enjoyed the post Bendis Avengers, I really liked that group. They spent a lot of time just hanging out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I also enjoy the grave picture of Captain America, Iron Man, Black Panther, and Spidey in a Christmas hat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When my 80 year old dad was a boy he used to collect comic books. His mom threw them all out when he graduated from high school. :smith:

Last night we were talking about how old characters like Batman and Wonder Woman are still very popular, and he mentioned that one of his favorites from childhood was Plastic Man.

Thanks to the SA comic book threads I was able to inform him that PM is still around, and he was amazed and pleased. So... thank you comic book people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Not only is plastic man around, he's the best!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

X-O posted:

I think there was a Christmas story where Jessica kept finding herself under the mistletoe because Tony or someone had it on drone moving it around. Not a story that would fly in 2018 probably.

Here’s the thing I was talking about. It’s actually from the same Jeff Parker story. The above page happens after this.

And all that is immediately followed by this:

X-O posted:

Ho-Ho-Ho

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 26, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is that May and MJ in the back of the first panel?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, they were living with the Avengers at the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Here’s the thing I was talking about. It’s actually from the same Jeff Parker story. The above page happens after this.

"Welp, now I'm definitely going to go through with the secret invasion."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gravity rules he should be in more things.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wolverine killing Santa is a great out of context panel. The rest is a Big Yikes. I choose to believe Cap was unaware.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SonicRulez posted:

Wolverine killing Santa is a great out of context panel. The rest is a Big Yikes. I choose to believe Cap was unaware.

Kind of disappointed Peter seemed to be in on it (albeit not actively participating). You're a married man, Peter*! You're better than this!

*At the time this story was written.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Kind of disappointed Peter seemed to be in on it (albeit not actively participating). You're a married man, Peter*! You're better than this!

*At the time this story was written.

Peter's love of Science* is more pure and has been given more story time than any of his romantic interactions with women.

*Science in this case meaning anything that has a dubious power source and makes a whirring noise.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toshimo posted:

Not only is plastic man around, he's the best!

The '80s Plastic-Man cartoon was the greatest.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gynovore posted:

The '80s Plastic-Man cartoon was the greatest.

That's the one where he drove around in the Winnebago, right?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Proteus Jones posted:

That's the one where he drove around in the Winnebago, right?

They had a jet. I don't remember a Winnebago, although it's been a while (obviously).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC used to have an anthology book called Secret Origins where you'd get 2-3 stories per issue showcasing some lesser known or forgotten heroes. In issue #47, there was a focus on Legionnaires. Chemical King was a throw away character, in his very first appearance he was already dead. Maybe his story never needed to be told but since the day I got my hands on this issue I've been glad that it was told.

Makes my balloon float, boys and girls.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That's the writer for Ambush Bug, yeah?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think so? Fleming worked with Giffen off an on for many years at DC.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/formyths/status/1079977558807064582

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jedit posted:

Compare Erica Henderson's art to Joe Quinones drawing the same character in the crossover with Howard the Duck - it's night and day. I mean, look at this:

Quinones cover for Howard the Duck #6:

Tradd Moore cover for Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #5:

Erica Henderson cover for USG #1:

That isn't to say that Henderson cannot draw, or even that she can't draw Squirrel Girl. Her covers for the NYCC 2015 preview, the pixel art cover with Galactus from the first series, and USG #8 and #23 are all really good, and for some reason the style works on Old Lady Squirrel Girl. But it's only flashes, and they annoy me in the same way that I get annoyed by the occasional good panel Marc Hempel drew on his otherwise abysmal Sandman run.

Loving that chunky squirrel girl in the middle panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mister Miracle #6