Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

I made a small tutorial for one of the Challenges in the game, Meteor Smashing three level 9 CPUs while facing four in three minutes. It can be applied to anything with Meteor Smashes. I hope it's useful to someone, and if not, at least it got me to finally upload all those videos I took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTHA1n3Atg

Never thought of this thanks! I love cheesing these. For 300% handicap I just made the only item fairy bottles. For level 9 cpu fights I made the only item poke balls and assist trophies and Rosalina and just down B over and over and take them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

For 300% handicap, an easy cheese is to play a 1 stock on a walk off and do the classic throw off-stage at 0% kill.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Please post some miis. Bonus points if they make clever use of the custom outfits/hats

My nephew set up my switch and created my mii I think he may have been taking the piss

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

gey muckle mowser posted:

I haven't played smash since like the gamecube version and am now really bad, what characters are good for getting scrubs like me back into the game? So far I'm best with Samus and OK with Donkey Kong.

Lucina, Mario, Pikachu and Roy are characters I'd suggest to learn since they're pretty straightforward and don't have any mechanics that are too out there

e: I would suggest Peach/Daisy but they're kind of advanced with their floats/turnips (just mash side B and you'll do alright)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

gey muckle mowser posted:

I haven't played smash since like the gamecube version and am now really bad, what characters are good for getting scrubs like me back into the game? So far I'm best with Samus and OK with Donkey Kong.

I saw a youtube video claiming Ike was a good choice for a beginner particularly if you want to learn the mechanics of the game. If you're after a good time play anyone except Little Mac.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This week's Spirit Board event is Mario characters. You know, in case you needed an excuse to get your rear end kicked by Pauline again.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Kins posted:

This week's Spirit Board event is Mario characters. You know, in case you needed an excuse to get your rear end kicked by Pauline again.

Notably it also has exclusive Mario Party spirits that we haven't seen available before, though I don't know if any of them are any good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why aren't the spirit board events introducing new spirits? that seems like a really obvious thing to be doing with them

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
they are

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Brother Entropy posted:

why aren't the spirit board events introducing new spirits? that seems like a really obvious thing to be doing with them

They are. I think some of these Mario event ones are new.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

good for them, then

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I think PAC MAN is becoming my favorite character because throwing his key is so drat fun

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

voltcatfish posted:

I think PAC MAN is becoming my favorite character because throwing his key is so drat fun

I guess somebody has to like him because, no joke, I honestly think he's maybe the second worst character in the game behind Kirby. Which is a shame because I really like Kirby and...well, I don't care about Pac Man since I don't play him but I at least want him to be better than he is now.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Kirby is good, moron.

Anybody have tips for the Funky Kong spirit battle? I can't beat it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Kirby is good, moron.

Anybody have tips for the Funky Kong spirit battle? I can't beat it.

Is that the bullet bill one? The trick I used was to rush for each bullet bill, then shoot straight down. Hitting people as a bullet bill isn't as strong as catching them in your explosion, so shooting straight down when you can clip like 2 people makes that fight much easier.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

I guess somebody has to like him because, no joke, I honestly think he's maybe the second worst character in the game behind Kirby. Which is a shame because I really like Kirby and...well, I don't care about Pac Man since I don't play him but I at least want him to be better than he is now.

Are Rosalina & Luma considered good? I can't play them at all so I'm not sure

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

jerry seinfel posted:

I pushed my friend to beat Galeem and managed to not spoil what happens

The meltdown was totally worth it

I didn’t have a meltdown until the second time I beat a “final” boss and another goddamn map popped up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

My nephew set up my switch and created my mii I think he may have been taking the piss

Your nephew is good. :thumbsup:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Everyone not named Kirby or Little Mac is seriously viable even with flaws if thats what you're worried about.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Seriously there are people that are good with Megaman, people can be good with anyone

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kirby is good, moron.

How? His range and power is pathetic and the best he can be used for is just edgeguarding. Anybody with a disjoint or a longer range can obliterate him.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Aerial side-B all day every day.

At least that's what I like to do with Kirby :shrug:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kirby is good, moron.

He’s not.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

voltcatfish posted:

Are Rosalina & Luma considered good? I can't play them at all so I'm not sure

Yeah, they're okay. They're just tricky. But there's a lot of cheesy stuff you can do involving Luma. Rosalina was nerfed a little bit from 4 but she's still got most of what made her good in the first place.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Theta Zero posted:

Pac-man is great, moron

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think Duck Hunt Dog is the worst character thank you

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think every character is pretty good for low-mid level play. That’s a remarkable feat for such a huge cast.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think every character is pretty good for low-mid level play. That’s a remarkable feat for such a huge cast.

Yeah, but it goes a bit higher than that. Even Smash 4 had every character viable to whip out at a tournament and do somewhat well with and Ultimate is slowly turning out to be...mostly the same way, with some exceptions. But what I'm saying is just because a character is (or at least considered to be) the "worst character" doesn't inherently mean they're unplayably terrible. It doesn't even have to meant they're bad. It's just that they're not as good as everyone else, and somebody has to be the "worst" just as somebody has to be the "best."

You can do well as Pac Man or Kirby or Duck Hunt or whatever, but you sure have to work for it. The way I see it, why put so much effort into learning a character when you can get the same results with half the effort on another character?

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 26, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Good stuff from twitter.

https://twitter.com/kutuyatti/status/1077904431910273024

https://twitter.com/_yasaikakiage_/status/1077918589649211392

https://twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1076537950844919810

https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1077844847325794306

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Theta Zero posted:

You can do well as Pac Man or Kirby or Duck Hunt or whatever, but you sure have to work for it. The way I see it, why put so much effort into learning a character when you can get the same results with half the effort on another character?

This is what separates the weak from the strong.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played a few hours online with Kirby the past two days and I had a decent time vs everyone except adult Link. Every fight vs him was a disaster. I don't understand why a single character needs to be that lethal at range and up close. At a distance it's a constant barrage of arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. Then when you get close it's a sword with great reach in front and behind Link. And don't even think about attacking from above because then he turns into a blender in the sky or waits on the ground with that loving sword.

Link ruined all my fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Theta Zero posted:

Because they’re different and fun. Not everyone plays Smash to be 100% competitive.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:hai: :dogcited:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I played a few hours online with Kirby the past two days and I had a decent time vs everyone except adult Link. Every fight vs him was a disaster. I don't understand why a single character needs to be that lethal at range and up close. At a distance it's a constant barrage of arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. Then when you get close it's a sword with great reach in front and behind Link. And don't even think about attacking from above because then he turns into a blender in the sky or waits on the ground with that loving sword.

Link ruined all my fun.

Most dumb Link spammers don't grab. Run up and shield is pretty safe as nine times out of ten, they'll do some stupid unsafe move if you get with a one mile radius of them for no reason. If they do grab, they'll almost always do it at precisely the exact same time. If they charge up arrows, just jump over to approach them while they charge, and abuse neutral air dodge for stuff like boomerangs. If they're being annoying and just rolling away when you get close, read it and dash past them or do a turnaround smash/tilt.

I guarantee you that, from my experience, these Links do not learn nor will they ever change their strategy, even when it isn't working.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I remember Kirby being good in the first game but I’ve never seen any of my friends do well with him since. He was always too light and floaty for my tastes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Link ruined all my fun.

I think you can Inhale all the crap he throws at you. That might help a bit.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
people saying olimar is good are out of their mind.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Because they’re different and fun. Not everyone plays Smash to be 100% competitive.
I didn't say you need to play Smash in a 100% competitive level. When I said "[x character] feels really bad and you have to work a lot to do well as them," I'm referring to their ability to perform in a 100% competitive level, where such a criticism would be most pertinent.

KungFu Grip posted:

people saying olimar is good are out of their mind.
He's very thoroughly okay... But his playstyle is completely brainless and boring. Olimar players probably have fun doing taxes.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Anyone been labbing with Cloud? Hit me with them vids. Very hard choice between Cloud and Wario to focus with rn, and now those wii fit trainer ball mixups have got me reconsidering too 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My highlight of this game is picking up Palutena as a joke then realizing wow she's actually incredibly good