Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Windows 98 posted:

Us

Is that an Infinity Gauntlet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

Nu Pennywise is pretty close but I consider that more of a monster movie. I can't think of a slasher since Ghost Face that I could just walk into a Halloween store and see gobs of merch for like Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, or Chucky.

There wasn't gobs of merch for You're Next, but they were such a strong design, there are now several films and shows that have stolen the animal mask idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yes but what was the first horror movie to use the "killers wear animal masks ".

I think Stage fright.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Yes but what was the first horror movie to use the "killers wear animal masks ".

I think Stage fright.

Probably could consider Wicker Man as a maybe in that category.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can't watch Joe Bob live but I really enjoyed going through the Phantasm movies with his commentary over the weekend. Although to be totally honest Reggie wasn't adding all that much, it's more interesting when Joe Bob gets to just spout off interesting facts.

Anyway, he was able to give me a new appreciation for Oblivion and the DTV sequels in general which is like a horror host's primary purpose so it was definitely a successful holiday for Joe Bob I think.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

There wasn't gobs of merch for You're Next, but they were such a strong design, there are now several films and shows that have stolen the animal mask idea.

And you just made me remember. Masks from The Purge were absolutely everywhere around where I live.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they all ripped it off from hotline miami.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess all the Terrifier talk is a good enough time as any to gather up my thoughts on The Burning Moon.

The Burning Moon, like Terrifier, is a movie created solely for showcasing the practical effects of the director. The director himself even cast himself as an edgy teenager telling horrifying bedtime stories to his little sister, just after he shoots up with some heroin. So yeah, that sets the tone of the movie and you can guess how the wraparound story concludes (not well).

The first story is as generic as it comes, it's about a woman who goes on a blind date with what turns out to be an escaped homicidal maniac. She quickly finds out his secret, but doesn't realize she left her wallet in the car after she fled. I think you can guess what happens next. The story isn't terrible, and it was unique to at least have the killer target a family instead of the usual house full of young people. The violence is blunt and the choreography is passable, the director tried to make it look like an off-the-cuff home invasion and murder rather than some omnipotent slasher terrorizing people slowly. Most of the effects are on display in the aftermath, there's one particularly grisly shot of a still-smoldering body in the bathtub. The most impressive shot though is an eyeball down an esophagus, like it looks really good for what I'm sure was a really really low-budget movie. But that's about it, burnt body and esophagus were the only noteworthy SFX moments in the first story, moving on.

The second story starts out rather slow, and it's definitely the more interesting of the two. A well-respected small town priest turns out to be a rapist and serial killer (yeah, the movie's edgy), and is so beyond reproach that his heinous acts are blamed on the town's simple, quiet loner. After the poor young man is cornered and murdered, he's called upon to drag his killer straight to hell... and I'm a little fuzzy on this but I think the priest just... gets away with everything? But hoooo boy, the final sequence almost justifies this movie's existence. It's a low-budget Canadian SFX designer's vision of Hell, complete with people being torn apart, faces being ripped off, nails in skulls, really too much gnarly poo poo for me to even recall most of it. It's like Hieronymus Bosch in somebody's creepy basement. It's beyond anything even Clive Barker could even dream up.

So yeah, it's about as bad as Terrifier but I think it's at least more engaging. Special effects guys can direct good movies, Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead is really rather good, but it just seems like most of the time it turns out the only talent they have is throwing gallons of blood and gore around a set.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Windows 98 posted:

Spoiler Guess: I think it’s an evolution of the technology introduced in the film Get Out. That you can transfer your consciousness into another person’s body. The tech evolves further when they start making custom designed fake bodies for your consciousness to inhabit, ghost in the shell style.

So you have a white Family beaming their consciousness into GITS style bodies, that happen to be identical to the family next door. Their plan is too kill them off and live their lives.

That doesn't make any sense, the people in Get Out were only interested in stealing black peoples' actual physical bodies for creepy race-science reasons, they're not giving up their wealthy white lifestyle. Plus, if they could just custom-make bodies with any attributes they want, there would be no need for doppelganger shenanigans at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh yeah the burning moon is an sfx classic but you described it spot on it basically is a director throwing gallons of guts around a set

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Art is such a hilariously stupid thing to name a clown of any variety, let alone a scary one

"OH poo poo, its the vampire lord of the castle, Pete! He's come to feed on thr villagers! Look out everybody fuckin Pete the Vampire is here aaah!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bluedeanie posted:

Art is such a hilariously stupid thing to name a clown of any variety, let alone a scary one

"OH poo poo, its the vampire lord of the castle, Pete! He's come to feed on thr villagers! Look out everybody fuckin Pete the Vampire is here aaah!"

It works as like a realistic clown name that some dude working kid's birthday parties would use. As if Art was actually a working clown who just snapped or something. I mean, he does have some pretty legit clowning skills.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bluedeanie posted:

Petyr is actually a loving terrifying vampire.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Petyr is actually a loving terrifying vampire.

Well, he was.

RIP Petyr.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Big difference between someone named Petyr the Vampire and Pete the Vampire. When you say "Pete the Vampire" I'm picturing little Pete from Pete & Pete in a cheesy Dracula costume.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Bluedeanie posted:

That’s how I feel about Eric the Opera Phantom and Larry the Wolf Man

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

Well, he was.

RIP Petyr.

The hard cut to Taika and Petyr sitting next to each other and Petyr just silently leering at him will always make me laugh, 100% of the time, every time I see it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've watched the Us trailer like 10 times, can someone tell me what the woman at the very end is saying? I think I'm hearing "Be careful" then laughing.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Regarding ‘5 on it’ in the Us trailer, the Bay Ballers remix of that song is kind of an Oakland theme song. Given it sounds like the family is from the Bay Area, I wonder if there’s a deeper meaning there, especially given the crazy social dynamics of the city.

Given Peele’s penchant for the Twilight Zone, my guess would be the other family is from an alternate dimension and not actually evil. (Maybe victims of MK Ultra drug testing)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just a friendly reminder, while it's fun to extrapolate theories from a trailer, it's important to keep in mind that the filmmakers and producers are not involved in their creation, it's almost always a third party company hired by studio suits to make something that sells.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Normally yeah, but “5 on it” is definitely in the movie. The opening of the trailer is the characters discussing the meaning of it. And Get Out was loaded with specific music cues.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's very clear the red outfits and scissors mean something very important as well. They seem ritualistic so I really don't see this as an issue of misunderstanding. They look like they are clearly malevolent.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

For what it’s worth the alt-family are apparently called “The Tethered”

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Normally yeah, but “5 on it” is definitely in the movie. The opening of the trailer is the characters discussing the meaning of it. And Get Out was loaded with specific music cues.

Oh yeah, for sure. I wasn't implying anyone was wrong about their interpretations, just reminding people that it's not like Peele made the trailer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the movie is very clearly a spiritual succesor to Zombi 3 and a commentary on the ever changing intricacy of the tri-county areas traffic patterns, I dont see why you posers dont see that from the VERY obvious foreshadowing and symbolism

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's clearly a soft tie-in to Watership Down, but the rabbits have been tested to isolate the genes that allow rapid reproduction of large litters, which have been used to make evil clones, which appear as doppelgangers to posers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Get Out was actually the 4th movie in a 9-movie series, and Us is the 5th.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Us is the big budget adaption of Rock, Paper, Scissors that the world needs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Under some nudging from Franchescanado, I have a made a thread for my favorite film genre and horror-analog, the video nasty

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878053

I hope you enjoy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've watched the Us trailer like 10 times, can someone tell me what the woman at the very end is saying? I think I'm hearing "Be careful" then laughing.

yeah that's what she says.

holy poo poo is that trailer perfectly made.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I might be completely off but I took the one glove in the US poster to signify that we are actually looking at the hands of two different people come together, which i think fits in well with the plot.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I might be completely off but I took the one glove in the US poster to signify that we are actually looking at the hands of two different people come together, which i think fits in well with the plot.

No way, I'm looking at the poster and that doesn't work logistically. It's a person with one glove holding the scissors in front of their chest.

Peele said this movie is hitting another societal issue and problem. Considering the plot nugget mentioned 'unplugging' I wonder if the theme will be about how we portray ourselves on social media clashes with out true selves.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While I don't fully believe him, Peele has said that Us isn't really going to be nearly as race focused.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

axelblaze posted:

While I don't fully believe him, Peele has said that Us isn't really going to be nearly as race focused.

It looks like the white family have dopplegangers as well plus in the scene with the little girl walking in that weird lab area, it looks like a bunch of different people are shambling behind her.

It seems more like a universal focused issue film.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Zartosht posted:

That doesn't make any sense, the people in Get Out were only interested in stealing black peoples' actual physical bodies for creepy race-science reasons, they're not giving up their wealthy white lifestyle. Plus, if they could just custom-make bodies with any attributes they want, there would be no need for doppelganger shenanigans at all.

Please. Just let me fantasize that Jordan Peele is crafting a whole universe. I don’t know how else to connect them, but I god drat want them to be connected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Obviously it's understandable given the subject matter of Get Out, but I hope Peele isn't pigeon-holed as like the "social issues horror director" going forward. Not that most horror doesn't deal with these kind of issues at least in some way, but most other horror directors get the benefit of having people show up to their movies just hoping for a solid horror flick. I'm not sure it's a good thing for Peele to end up with this burden of every movie he does has to be some new groundbreaking take on a societal problem.

Kinda like how M. Night found himself writing ridiculous twists into every movie because he got locked into that expectation, and it hurt his films for a while imo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

Please. Just let me fantasize that Jordan Peele is crafting a whole universe. I don’t know how else to connect them, but I god drat want them to be connected.

expanded universes stink!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I think Peele’s outlet for societal issues will be The Twilight Zone, which if the universe has any sense of justice will run for 10 seasons.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Isn't Peele also attached to the Candyman remake that is currently being worked on? I know he's not directing but he is attached in some way.

I agree though that I hope Peele doesn't become "That dude who makes horror about race issues" in the mind of general audiences. That isn't to mean that it would be an awful career with his skills, but I feel like that would stunt him if he feels like audiences need him to make a certain type of film every time.

Honestly more than anything, a Jordan Peele directed found footage film would kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I hope Peele just makes "good movies with people of color in lead roles", and that nothing more is expected of him. :shrug: