Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I unlocked high level quests in Monster Hunter. Kicking you out in a random part of the map and not giving you supplies until like 10 minutes in to the quest isn't an extra challenge, it's just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the FFXV pocket edition any good? I like the regular version a lot.

I've put a handful of hours into it and it's decently entertaining and does a few clever things with regard to being a phone game but if you've already enjoyed the story via the main game I don't think there'd be a lot there for you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

Yuna in X-2 :colbert:

I still own it, and I never played it past the intro, but yeah, I forgot about that one.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

When the movie came out, Goons found the fan translations a bit too rigid. One poster redid it to make more sense in English and posted it on the forums. He explained how he did it, which resulted in a few other goons going through and making complete joke subtitles. The only bit I remember at all is one had a subplot of Cloud trying to get away from The Turks because they were LDS missionaries who weren't taking no for an answer. It wasn't a super great subplot but it was mostly a lead up to Cloud slamming the door in Reno's face.

They then began uploading the movie to various torrent sites with one of the fake subtitle files. I think there was one short period where it was harder to find accurate subs than the goon ones.

I tried a few years ago to find some of them again. I don't recall if I had any luck or not, but I remember realizing that it wouldn't matter if I did. The only copies of the movie I could find had added scenes which would screw with the timing.

E: Just remembered another one! It was accurate subtitles for the first half of the movie and then during an exposition scene they put in spoilers for the rest of the movie.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gripweed posted:

I unlocked high level quests in Monster Hunter. Kicking you out in a random part of the map and not giving you supplies until like 10 minutes in to the quest isn't an extra challenge, it's just annoying.

I wouldn't mind picking up MHGU but after all the MHW changes I just cannot go back :(

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

TTBF posted:

When the movie came out, Goons found the fan translations a bit too rigid. One poster redid it to make more sense in English and posted it on the forums. He explained how he did it, which resulted in a few other goons going through and making complete joke subtitles. The only bit I remember at all is one had a subplot of Cloud trying to get away from The Turks because they were LDS missionaries who weren't taking no for an answer. It wasn't a super great subplot but it was mostly a lead up to Cloud slamming the door in Reno's face.

They then began uploading the movie to various torrent sites with one of the fake subtitle files. I think there was one short period where it was harder to find accurate subs than the goon ones.

I tried a few years ago to find some of them again. I don't recall if I had any luck or not, but I remember realizing that it wouldn't matter if I did. The only copies of the movie I could find had added scenes which would screw with the timing.

E: Just remembered another one! It was accurate subtitles for the first half of the movie and then during an exposition scene they put in spoilers for the rest of the movie.
This thread was amazing. I watched the movie way too many times because of all the subtitles. I only remember the one where sephi waxes on about his sword's "length." Might be about to find the joke subtitle files on an upload site.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

I still own it, and I never played it past the intro, but yeah, I forgot about that one.

You should play it because X-2 owns

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

I wouldn't mind picking up MHGU but after all the MHW changes I just cannot go back :(

That still happens in mhw though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ciaphas posted:

You can play as a cat so that alone makes it worth a try.:3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

That still happens in mhw though.

Oh sure, you can just teleport right on back though even if you forgot your Farcasters :v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Heath posted:

Where my Parodius Collection for Switch at

I tried the Parodius series for the first time this year and would be 100% down.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BOTW is ok but I feel like it’s not as fun in a post RDR2 world because it all feels very...dead and nothing to do. Just my opinion though. I’m also a idiot who sold it and bought it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

BOTW is ok but I feel like it’s not as fun in a post RDR2 world because it all feels very...dead and nothing to do. Just my opinion though. I’m also a idiot who sold it and bought it again.

Really? I’ve liked it so far because it doesn’t have nearly as much unfun bullshit as RDR2. There’s way less stuff that comes along and disrupts my groove.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Ciaphas posted:

It's a third person shooter/adventure RPG thing with an extremely thin veneer of "your character is actually a ship"

That said I enjoyed my time with the digital version greatly, just... don't go in expecting starfox or even a ship shooter

Sounds about right. The game looks like someone replaced the 'character running and space jetpacking with a gun' asset with a whole drat ship and it looks hella awkward. I could even believe the original form of this in production probably had no ships at all at one point.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Really? I’ve liked it so far because it doesn’t have nearly as much unfun bullshit as RDR2. There’s way less stuff that comes along and disrupts my groove.

Not having a billion boring scripted missions I want nothing to do with already makes it better

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Not having a billion boring scripted missions I want nothing to do with already makes it better

Also I’ve never ended up on the run from the law because I drew down on somebody while trying to greet them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Breath of the Wild is fun to explore until you realize there is nothing to do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Over There posted:

And no meaningful treasures to get after the Plateau unless you like Barbie: Link Dressup Edition.
(I really like Mipha's armour if you swap out the helmet for a sapphire circlet)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dishwasher posted:

Sounds about right. The game looks like someone replaced the 'character running and space jetpacking with a gun' asset with a whole drat ship and it looks hella awkward. I could even believe the original form of this in production probably had no ships at all at one point.

I'd be more shocked if this wasn't exactly the case, every vehicle and 95% of buildings could be modelswapped for a humanoid NPC and there would be no functional change to the game

the swap feels like it was forced entirely so they could try selling toys to life stuff in the form of ships (lol)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mister Facetious posted:

And no meaningful treasures to get after the Plateau unless you like Barbie: Link Dressup Edition.

Somebody doesn't appreciate Fashion Souls.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have a Monster Hunter question. When you jump off a higher platform and land on a Monster, what are you supposed to do? It seems like a QTE starts, but there's no button prompts

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Look Sir Droids posted:

Somebody doesn't appreciate Fashion Souls.

It would have been cool if they added some special items like A Link to the Past.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I have a Monster Hunter question. When you jump off a higher platform and land on a Monster, what are you supposed to do? It seems like a QTE starts, but there's no button prompts

just keep punching till you knock it out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

romanowski posted:

BOTW doesn't have Ubisoft towers

Uhhhhhhhh yes it does

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uhhhhhhhh yes it does

No. It just has towers. Ubisoft towers are something different.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I don't remember exactly how it worked in MHG but you should have 2 things you can do: stab repeatedly (normal attack), or hang on when it's bucking (some other drat button)

After being repeatedly stabbed by a hunting knife it'll get tired then you can fuckin whump it with your weapon for a free knockdown (other sources of free knockdowns being Trips and KOs/Stuns)

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Uhhhhhhhh yes it does

nope

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I've got to agree with Phallus on this one, they do the exact same thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the difference. You go up a tower and it puts stuff in your map

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Over There posted:

I've got to agree with Phallus on this one, they do the exact same thing.

Yeah they are functionally the same, they may have slight differences but they are you know slight.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's also not an insult to compare a feature to another game, they're completely different so who cares.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah they are functionally the same, they may have slight differences but they are you know slight.

Nope, functionally they're completely different. Ubisoft towers are gates to progress, botw towers simply tell you where you are.

You have up do an ubitower to interact with quests in that zone, botw towers just show you the name of the field you're standing in.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Over There posted:

Never happened to me

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

What's the difference. You go up a tower and it puts stuff in your map

No. In Zelda you go up a tower and it reveals the map. In Ubisoft it reveals the map and fills it in with a bunch of pointless trash.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh yeah I forgot the towers gated missions.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

They're superficially similar but the towers in BOTW actually facilitate exploration by giving you a vantage point from which you can look for and travel to goals/destinations whereas Ubisoft towers just unlock map markers. Ubisoft towers are only towers because that's the in-game justification for why your map is filling out but there's no actual reason why they need to be towers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I had the complete opposite reaction after playing RDR2. That game is pretty and has a cool story but most things just felt like pointless busywork. BOTW is the only open world game I’ve played that didn’t make me constantly think “gee, most of this game is just me driving/riding a horse long distances”.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are blatant large problems with BotW, but towers are not one of them. Not even close. They are one of the good things about the game.

Let's argue about how stupid the durability system is or why cooking is ... whatever it is. Both could easily be changed to improve the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the only gripe I actually have with botw is climbing while raining and how there isn't equipment that removes that mechanic entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think BOTW has a ton of problems that could be changed or improved on in a sequel but that certainly didn't stop it from being one of my favorite games of all time