Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Let the towing companies at them. I'm sure they won't turn down another potential revenue stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Godholio posted:

They're intentionally blocking the spots. It was like 3 trucks blocking six chargers or something.

Oh I meant the above post by Nfcknblvbl, aren't those just Teslas at superchargers as they should be?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Westy543 posted:

Oh I meant the above post by Nfcknblvbl, aren't those just Teslas at superchargers as they should be?

Well it's a lot like driving up to a busy gas station, except in this case you'll be waiting 30 minutes to an hour for someone to remember to move the car

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I wasn’t complaining that I had to wait, just taking notice the 15 or so super chargers I visited along my road trip were empty until I visited CA.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Ahh that makes sense. Yeah, I've been amazed how many Teslas are on the road here. I suppose I shouldn't when you can get an extra $2000-3000 off your purchase (1500-2500 or so for buying an electric, 500 PG&E rebate).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I stopped by the fast charger at Walgreens on the way home from visiting the in-laws and someone was charging their Volt on the level 2 charger that costs $1.50 an hour. :psyduck:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

I stopped by the fast charger at Walgreens on the way home from visiting the in-laws and someone was charging their Volt on the level 2 charger that costs $1.50 an hour. :psyduck:

Eh, it’s still 3.6kW and two hours from a 20% charge would get you 24-25 miles. Not terribly bright but at the same time I can’t hate on someone going fully “gently caress gas”. Also, if it’s a 2019 model there’s a non-zero chance it’s packing a 7.2kW charger and would fill half the battery capacity after an hour and a half, so no biggie.

Also I hope someone smart figures out how to retrofit the 7.2kW chargers in the 2019 Volts into the 2018, as it’d make the home charging strategy a bit easier.

ApathyGifted posted:

Also, that article was posted on the North Carolina subreddit and a few locals chimed in to say they recognized the truck drivers as some lovely high school kids who mod their trucks on daddy’s money.

Yeah golf-course living rich kids doing dumb poo poo to anger people because they’re bored is like American Suburbia defined. If your parents won’t pay attention to you, just go piss someone else off instead.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife's car is likely to be totaled after a poorly managed deer-car interface, and I'd love to nudge her toward an electric or plug-in hybrid. I like the looks and reviews for the Volt, but with production ending, I'm wondering if keeping it running for years and years is going to be a problem. Said wife dislikes change and will want to drive the next car until something totals it too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Chevy isn't going anywhere, and Volt-related tech is going to spread to other models.

Ripoff posted:

Also I hope someone smart figures out how to retrofit the 7.2kW chargers in the 2019 Volts into the 2018, as it’d make the home charging strategy a bit easier.

The 18s don't have that? I thought it was introduced with the second gen...yikes. Glad I waited.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

This is why I never bothered to use public charging. #1 I am trying to be a considerate PHEV/EV driver (I don't really "need" it, those with pure EVs do), and #2 it absolutely makes no sense financially or otherwise with a 3.6kW charger. All the chargers around here (Southeastern Indiana) are EVGo and start at $1.50 per hour. One hour of charging on a EVGo costs 50 cents more than a complete full charge does at home in my garage. (only about $1!) In addition a full charge on a public charger would cost many more times than the equivalent amount of gas to go the same distance. Even with a 7.2kW charger, gas would still be cheaper.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

7.2kW charging is kind of a big deal, does anyone know when the last chance to get a new Volt might be? They usually phase old cars out in September, right? Would that be earlier with the factory closing?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Production ends Mar 1, then it'll just be however long inventory lasts.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wasn’t complaining that I had to wait, just taking notice the 15 or so super chargers I visited along my road trip were empty until I visited CA.
The ones I went to near Portland were almost completely full. I think that's fairly common in MA as well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Westy543 posted:

7.2kW charging is kind of a big deal, does anyone know when the last chance to get a new Volt might be? They usually phase old cars out in September, right? Would that be earlier with the factory closing?

Also... the 7.2kW charger is an option, not standard. Here's hoping any inventory cars are ordered with it. Hasn't been confirmed yet if it is easily addable after the fact. Someone on the GMVolt forums was told by a salesman that it was dealer installable, but given that the dealers are typically totally loving stupid when it comes to PHEVs and EVs in general, they are probably wrong on that.

It would be nice to retrofit, but I'm sure any such efforts would be warranty voiding.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In the past month of EV use, using public chargers every chance I can if only for the novelty, I've only found one that actually charged me money. It seems like Colorado towns / improvement districts all subsidize them to attract affluent shoppers to their shopping districts.

In related news my Zero is rad and I've put in for my douchey custom plate today!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Hold on, as a Volt owner, would I be a jerk for using public chargers? I thought it was cool I could travel to Columbus from where I live on a charge, plug in while I shop, and be on battery for the way home too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hold on, as a Volt owner, would I be a jerk for using public chargers? I thought it was cool I could travel to Columbus from where I live on a charge, plug in while I shop, and be on battery for the way home too

Someone's always going to think you're a jerk if you're inconveniencing them, but I say that anything you can do to use less gas is a good thing. So long as you aren't occupying a charger without using it, IMO you're morally in the clear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You'll be using the port longer because of the slower charging capability if the volt?
And you may be blocking someone with a BEV that can't load up on 87 to make it home?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If the plug fits, use it :shrug:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Now if you are hogging up a charger for 8 hours I will poop on your volt. You know who you are too lazy to move your car jerk with the white volt that always has poop on his hood.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Unless you're literally hogging a charging spot for hours, and making other people wait (unreasonably) long for you, neh.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wibla posted:

Unless you're literally hogging a charging spot for hours, and making other people wait (unreasonably) long for you, neh.

That's good then. I go to Easton every so often for shopping that I can't do in my home town so I'll generally go there for an hour or two to shop and grab a bite from some restaurant I don't have at home

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I just have two problems with it really. The first one is it is just economically stupid to use a pay charger for a PHEV. The second issue is some places incentivize people with EVs by offering them better parking as a little bit of virtue signalling, like I was at a museum today and parking is $10. Unless you have an electric car, then you get free parking right in front of the museum, same with some stores. Like if you are at Whole Foods don't plug in your Volt just to get better parking, it's an rear end in a top hat thing, it's not a practical use of the charging station unless you have a BEV, it's for charging, not some sort of loophole to better parking. I've even seen people park their non-PHEV Priuses in the charging spots at Whole Foods.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do i3s have some sort of badging to indicate whether or not they have a range extender, and therefore should not park in the charging spots or should you just assume they do and poo poo on the hood of any i3 seen charging in public

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

The first one is it is just economically stupid to use a pay charger for a PHEV.

This I disagree with in general, if not hour by hour. It's not like the Volt owner is going to sit there, crickets cricketing, dollars ticking away, waiting for 99% to flip over to 100. They're just plugged in while doing something else, like other plug-ins. If a BEV-owner is unable to travel while waiting for an AC charger to open up, he has done it wrong.

Three Olives posted:

The second issue is some places incentivize people with EVs by offering them better parking as a little bit of virtue signalling

This I agree with. It's not a good thing to build on. It should really be the opposite, charging spots should start the furthest away so they aren't ICEd. But obviously when providing charging, it's easiest to wire up the nearest parking lots, not dig a ditch clear across the lot to begin with. And it's probably not bad business thinking to lure in the rich vegan vloggers to your solar powered yoga juice coffee gym, I can see that one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Powershift posted:

Do i3s have some sort of badging to indicate whether or not they have a range extender
They'll have a secondary panel by the front passenger, near the front, for the gas tank.

Still, the REx is a generator for the battery and won't really keep up with consumption on, like, a freeway at speed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

They'll have a secondary panel by the front passenger, near the front, for the gas tank.

Still, the REx is a generator for the battery and won't really keep up with consumption on, like, a freeway at speed.

Also the REx engine is apparently annoying as hell and unless you code it impossible to turn on unless you are almost out of battery and even then in best conditions will only give you less range than the battery will. The REx is really not intended to be used as a gas powered car unless you truly don't have the option of plugging in.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 27, 2018

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Three Olives posted:

I just have two problems with it really. The first one is it is just economically stupid to use a pay charger for a PHEV. The second issue is some places incentivize people with EVs by offering them better parking as a little bit of virtue signalling, like I was at a museum today and parking is $10. Unless you have an electric car, then you get free parking right in front of the museum, same with some stores. Like if you are at Whole Foods don't plug in your Volt just to get better parking, it's an rear end in a top hat thing, it's not a practical use of the charging station unless you have a BEV, it's for charging, not some sort of loophole to better parking. I've even seen people park their non-PHEV Priuses in the charging spots at Whole Foods.

I’m plugging my volt in at any cheap or free charger when I can make use of it because I can. If a BEV has desperate need of a random L2 charger, they hosed up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:jerkbag:

You know there do exist sub100 mile EVs out there. A hilly commute or an unexpectedly hot day can eat up their regular range. It's not like they might be out hot rodding and poo poo.

I guess this will be A Thing once adoption rates get higher and as more PHEVs get produced.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

As an owner of a short range EV, I've felt that frustration seeing cars plugged in that didn't really "need" it, and I can see both sides if it. I want more EV miles driven, so go for it. I also want to get home, but it really just drives home (:hurr:) the fact that the charging infra demand is quickly outstripping supply.

It also makes me really regret not getting a spark with the CCS option. How did it go with that guy installing it on a bolt?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

As an owner of a short range EV, I've felt that frustration seeing cars plugged in that didn't really "need" it, and I can see both sides if it. I want more EV miles driven, so go for it. I also want to get home, but it really just drives home (:hurr:) the fact that the charging infra demand is quickly outstripping supply.

This is why I don't bother with Level 2 chargers. The only way I would ever bother, is #1 there are several of them not being used as such to not inconvenience a BEV driver who actually needs it, and #2, they super cheap or free and #3, I am going to be there long enough to make it worthwhile. (1hr+)

In 2 years of owning my Volt, none of those conditions have ever occurred, because there are near zero public chargers in my area. The closest one is a EVGo station 45 miles away at a Walmart with a single L2 and a one combined CCS/Chademo station. The 2nd is a perpetually broken ancient Blink station with one L2 connector that is on the extreme back lot of a outlet mall.

quote:

It also makes me really regret not getting a spark with the CCS option. How did it go with that guy installing it on a bolt?

They haven't put out a video about it yet. He said they where going to attempt it when they started putting the drivetrain back together. He mentioned a couple of wiring harnesses needed to be changed and of course figuring out which software modifications to make.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

FilthyImp posted:

:jerkbag:

You know there do exist sub100 mile EVs out there. A hilly commute or an unexpectedly hot day can eat up their regular range. It's not like they might be out hot rodding and poo poo.

I guess this will be A Thing once adoption rates get higher and as more PHEVs get produced.

Pack a harbor freight predator and an EVSE in your trunk then. I’m not burning gas when there’s an L2 charger available on the off chance someone else wants to use it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Warrior Princess posted:

Pack a harbor freight predator and an EVSE in your trunk then. I’m not burning gas when there’s an L2 charger available on the off chance someone else wants to use it.

Was your previous car a BMW or Porsche?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No one is asking you not to charge your volt, but please don't leave it at the charger for 6 hours after it is full. I realize you would have to have empathy for other humans for you to consider this, that is why I poop.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hey anyone who's owned a bolt ev, are there any issues with it I should be aware of? I know some people have mentioned the interior is sort of cheap feeling, and seen some people knocking them but I haven't really heard of specific issues. I'm probably going to save up for one next year (or get a used volt, I'm really not 100% sure but would love to go full electric). I think I'm going to stop by our local gm dealership this weekend and see if they'll let me test drive a volt and a bolt ev.

My normal commute is about 40 miles so even though I don't currently have the option of home charging (just level 1 at work), that should get me through to being able to use a public DC charger on the weekends. My family lives about 170 mi away so having that extra range on an ev sounds real sweet, otherwise I'd look for an i3 or something.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Westy543 posted:

Hey anyone who's owned a bolt ev, are there any issues with it I should be aware of? I know some people have mentioned the interior is sort of cheap feeling, and seen some people knocking them but I haven't really heard of specific issues. I'm probably going to save up for one next year (or get a used volt, I'm really not 100% sure but would love to go full electric). I think I'm going to stop by our local gm dealership this weekend and see if they'll let me test drive a volt and a bolt ev.

My normal commute is about 40 miles so even though I don't currently have the option of home charging (just level 1 at work), that should get me through to being able to use a public DC charger on the weekends. My family lives about 170 mi away so having that extra range on an ev sounds real sweet, otherwise I'd look for an i3 or something.

If you're not in a rush, I'd maybe wait for a shot at a Hyundai Kona EV instead. From what I've seen of online reviewers doing side-by-sides of the Kona EV vs the Bolt EV, the Kona is better in nearly every metric. Also, the Kona EV will have adaptive cruise as an option, the Bolt EV does not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FilthyImp posted:

wiki says it develops 25 kW; I would have thought even if you cut that in half for generator inefficiency it would be enough to keep the battery level while cruising.?.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

~Coxy posted:

wiki says it develops 25 kW; I would have thought even if you cut that in half for generator inefficiency it would be enough to keep the battery level while cruising.?.
It's fine if you're doing city driving, but even then it's mostly there to get you to the next charger/home instead of leaving you flat on the road.

The problem with the OEM implementation in the U.S. is that they removed the Hold option (which lets you activate it at your leisure to keep the charge level up), as well as locking out a fraction of the tank to meet EV rebate standards.

The lack of Hold means the REx kicks in when you've got ~5 EV miles left. It runs to try to keep you above that threshhold, then cycles off when you're good, then cycles on again when you dip.

If you're on the highway and need to cruise at 65ish, it just barely keeps you at about 5miles. I think it's possible to outrun what it supplies, at which point you get throttled down to like 45mph.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
oh, I didn't know all that. Slightly baffling, but I guess that's the way these laws end up being!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so do teslas require an independent data SIM contract to actually make the car work normally