Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait why the hell is pokemon let's go turning off my 8bitdo controller when it loads? i can hit home, turn on the controller, go back into pokemon and it shuts off again

(e) Oh, okay, game mechanic. I thought these other controllers had gyros though?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ciaphas posted:

wait why the hell is pokemon let's go turning off my 8bitdo controller when it loads? i can hit home, turn on the controller, go back into pokemon and it shuts off again

If the game isn't compatible with a Pro controller it will do that

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

i wonder if the leather puckers when you sweat

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Bought the Sega Ages collection to play more Phantasy Star, saw they had Columns. Woke up from a fugue state at 1am, noticed I had played Columns for hours.

Switch is good. Now back to finishing Phantasy Star. The heroine and her friends are still stuck on Fantasy Hoth. Goddamnit, so many caves in this empty, frozen wasteland :argh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

content posted:

This is hilarious and I hope she’s kicking your rear end.

She only had one trick which was the down special. Now she's playing Lucario and knows how to block and is kicking my rear end, but I'm not allowed to play as snake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

:yeah:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1078211026426814465

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1078201536185012224

Look, we have a morgana kirby copy ability! :3:

And an interview with sakurai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EnQQ0HSINg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Libluini posted:

Switch is good. Now back to finishing Phantasy Star. The heroine and her friends are still stuck on Fantasy Hoth. Goddamnit, so many caves in this empty, frozen wasteland :argh:

Dezolis is wonderful this time of year

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I feel really dumb, I got super Mario party for switch for a present and wanted to play with my wife like 2v2 against bots. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how and we ended up on some stupid raft floating down a river with peach and Yoshi bots and we were all on the same team.

I just wanted 2v2 am I going crazy here

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is there a piano or keyboard app/game for the Switch?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

I feel really dumb, I got super Mario party for switch for a present and wanted to play with my wife like 2v2 against bots. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how and we ended up on some stupid raft floating down a river with peach and Yoshi bots and we were all on the same team.

I just wanted 2v2 am I going crazy here
There are multiple game modes, you selected the rafting mode (which is 4-player co-op)

there is also the traditional party mode which everyone against each other, and a new team mode where you can play 2v2 but where you throw the dice together and move around freely and stuff. Just talk to the different toads, they explain each game mode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you have to walk offscreen to the left to get to 2v2.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Croccers posted:

Is there a piano or keyboard app/game for the Switch?

There's Korg something or other but I've never used it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Clannad is coming to the Switch! I've heard good things about it but their faces just look too weird for me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's Korg something or other but I've never used it.

There's always the Labo variety kit :v:.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Also the play pad or whatever it's called in Mario Party is a big fancy way of going Main Menu. Check there.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Is there any particular brand of SD card I should pick up? or just whatever has a good ratio of $ - Gig?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Takoluka posted:

what is this nonsense

the story and gameplay are "on this mountain, you must overcome insurmountable challenges, and no matter how many times you think you can't beat it, you absolutely can"

it's encouraging, it's patient, and it's well-designed

it never advertises itself as a deep, thought-provoking tale. it literally just personifies its core concept through a character story.

how can anyone be mad at that

I agree that that was their intention, but the way it was told was trite - if someone were to imagine the most obvious and cliché way to get those ideas across, it would take the form of the Celeste plot. Tons of media, games included, have tackled the same concepts far more successfully. See Night in the Woods for a recent example.

Also, I wasn't making stuff up with the spoiler part of my post, i was listening to the Giant Bomb game of the year discussions and they said something almost exactly like that.

Fortunately, the plot is easy enough to ignore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Pirate Captain posted:

I agree that that was their intention, but the way it was told was trite - if someone were to imagine the most obvious and cliché way to get those ideas across, it would take the form of the Celeste plot. Tons of media, games included, have tackled the same concepts far more successfully. See Night in the Woods for a recent example.

Also, I wasn't making stuff up with the spoiler part of my post, i was listening to the Giant Bomb game of the year discussions and they said something almost exactly like that.

Fortunately, the plot is easy enough to ignore.

Yeah I have no idea what the story in Celeste is about because I skipped every cutscene

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm only just finishing Celeste after owning it since release. The wind level is the worst loving thing and even though I beat it in a single sitting, it was the least fun level ever. I'd rather do Bopopolis on Tropical Freeze. Conversely the following chapter is very cool and fun. There's just such an imbalance of things that are clever and fun to figure out in Celeste versus the stages that are beyond obnoxious, I wish the unfun gimmicks like wind or the godawful timing for bouncing on those clouds were not a thing.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Heath posted:

I will never log offstop demanding a port of Fantasy Zone

I grew up playing the Tengen port of Fantasy Zone for the NES, which I didn't realize wasn't the original, so when I learned that it was actually a Sega game and that there were multiple sequels, I got excited. The problem is that I have nostalgia for the jank of the NES port and the real versions don't scratch that itch. I want to love them all, but they play too smooth!! Nintendo, put the Tengen version of Fantasy Zone on Switch!!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

I agree that that was their intention, but the way it was told was trite - if someone were to imagine the most obvious and cliché way to get those ideas across, it would take the form of the Celeste plot.

I haven't played Celeste, but my guess is that's by design. If you take something as complicated and personal as mental illness and made the story any more inaccessible, you might not get your point across. Or you'd get dragged for making it too obscure. Basically there's no winning (especially among video game nerds) when you tell a story about mental illness, so you might as well make it obvious so you get your message across to a higher percentage of your players.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So quick portable storage question. My daughter wants to take the switch in the car today while we run errands. Fine, no problem with that whatsoever. My only question is how would people suggest storing the Switch? Obviously the most common option is keep it in the car, my only concern is it's winter time and while it will only be a few hours max, I'd hate to cause cold weather damage to it, even if it's in a carrying case. The second is some storage where we just carry it around in the various stores, but I'm not really keen on that (since I'll probably get stuck carry it and having a switch on your shoulder probably is a nice way of saying, please steal this from me). So I guess I'm trying to find out how well the unit handles being in the cold in a car for a few hours.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Look Sir Droids posted:

I haven't played Celeste, but my guess is that's by design. If you take something as complicated and personal as mental illness and made the story any more inaccessible, you might not get your point across. Or you'd get dragged for making it too obscure. Basically there's no winning (especially among video game nerds) when you tell a story about mental illness, so you might as well make it obvious so you get your message across to a higher percentage of your players.

Yeah, that's fair. Certainly, if it helped anyone cope with their illness then it's a good thing. I just felt that it bogged down what was otherwise a really great action game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yeah, that's fair. Certainly, if it helped anyone cope with their illness then it's a good thing. I just felt that it bogged down what was otherwise a really great action game.

On the other hand I wouldn't have liked Celeste as much without the story. To the point where I hardly touched the B and C-sides.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wouldn't have liked Celeste had I played it. I did enjoy watching an LP of it, though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So quick portable storage question. My daughter wants to take the switch in the car today while we run errands. Fine, no problem with that whatsoever. My only question is how would people suggest storing the Switch? Obviously the most common option is keep it in the car, my only concern is it's winter time and while it will only be a few hours max, I'd hate to cause cold weather damage to it, even if it's in a carrying case. The second is some storage where we just carry it around in the various stores, but I'm not really keen on that (since I'll probably get stuck carry it and having a switch on your shoulder probably is a nice way of saying, please steal this from me). So I guess I'm trying to find out how well the unit handles being in the cold in a car for a few hours.

If you put the case in some sort of purse, backpack, etc. in a dry area of the car it should have plenty layers of protection to be undamaged. Just having a case alone might even be enough depending on how cold it is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I'm only just finishing Celeste after owning it since release. The wind level is the worst loving thing and even though I beat it in a single sitting, it was the least fun level ever.

the wind level was a drag (a-hyuck) because it bogs down your momentum, which is always the best part of celeste - zooming across the screen until your eyes and thumbs can barely keep up

meanwhile in these stages it's like you're dragging a ball and chain behind you

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CYBEReris posted:

If you put the case in some sort of purse, backpack, etc. in a dry area of the car it should have plenty layers of protection to be undamaged. Just having a case alone might even be enough depending on how cold it is.

Okay, I was thinking that something like that would be sufficient The cold I'm talking about is more common NY/PA/NJ winter weather then say the midwest. Guess our first stop will picking up a case at GameStop. I figure after that I can wrap it in a warm coat I keep in the car (for hiding it if nothing else). .

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The plot is stupid/bad, and the only people who like it are those who think they're smart for understanding all the surface-level metaphors "It's so deep you guys, she's literally running away from herself":rolleyes:. But aside from that, it's a super tight platformer and is a blast to play. Just skip the plot, the rest of the game is definitely worth playing.

how many people say its deep versus just appreciate a reasonable depiction of the struggles with mental illness among other things celeste does tho.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So is there a "preferred" LAN adapter for the Switch? I'm looking for one to buy but there's so loving many of them that i'm kinda worried i'll end up buying one that doesn't work. Any help?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Nintendo one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have this one and it works just fine - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYT481C/

edit: there is a USB 3.0 version too that's a couple bucks more but unless you have an insane internet connection I can't imagine it making any difference

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 27, 2018

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

smh if you don't weep and salute when you see the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It still bothers me that games like Twinkle Star Sprites are on the menu as ACA Neo Geo Twinkle Star Sprites. IDGAF about "ACA Neo Geo".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TaurusOxford posted:

So is there a "preferred" LAN adapter for the Switch? I'm looking for one to buy but there's so loving many of them that i'm kinda worried i'll end up buying one that doesn't work. Any help?

im sure the Nintendo one is preferred but I bought a cheap one that supported USB 3.0 off amazon that had the same chipset and it worked fine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM8586/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

gey muckle mowser posted:

I have this one and it works just fine - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYT481C/

edit: there is a USB 3.0 version too that's a couple bucks more but unless you have an insane internet connection I can't imagine it making any difference

My internet is far from insane so this will do nicely. Thanks. :)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay, I was thinking that something like that would be sufficient The cold I'm talking about is more common NY/PA/NJ winter weather then say the midwest. Guess our first stop will picking up a case at GameStop. I figure after that I can wrap it in a warm coat I keep in the car (for hiding it if nothing else). .

I live in PA and my Switch has survive inside its case in my car for a few days at a time in the winter. It's survived in it's case in my backpack walking around Philly in the winter months. If I leave it in my car I hide it under a blanket I keep in the car for emergencies which gives it another buffer from the elements. I suspect the worst thing cold can do to a Switch is drain the battery quicker than normal.

I wouldn't leave it in a car in the summer time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Don't companies test for these sort of things? I figure that because most of Japan experiences the four seasons like the majority of the continental US, Nintendo would've probably have built a thing to withstand the typical extremes of such areas.

Also I just started Hyper Light Drifter after buying it in the Black Friday Sale (I was waiting to finish Octopath), and my goodness I love it. I couldn't have played more than 30 minutes or so, but the style the action, and the music! It's just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wildtortilla posted:

I live in PA and my Switch has survive inside its case in my car for a few days at a time in the winter. It's survived in it's case in my backpack walking around Philly in the winter months. If I leave it in my car I hide it under a blanket I keep in the car for emergencies which gives it another buffer from the elements. I suspect the worst thing cold can do to a Switch is drain the battery quicker than normal.

I wouldn't leave it in a car in the summer time.

Awesome that’s good to know. Yeah the primary area is PA, so while it can get cold, it’s not like say Minnesota usually. This is mostly for a few hours here and there when it makes less sense to bring it along inside (say like in a Mall).