Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can confirm I also consistently cannot use spoilers without the quote workaround on my XR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seem to be getting a ton of problems today on threads that have a single new reply. Nothing loads at all (and the counter doesn’t reset).

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

^same but I assumed that was because the forums died this morning. Lowtax :argh:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s not just the app

Burt Sexual posted:

There appears to be a Cloud Flare issue. Please stay in your seats and remain calm. Go talk to aunt mable, you never call.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
On the plus side, it doesn't appear to be marking last read at that message so there's that. When it is fixed you won't be missing any posts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would have guessed an issue with forum-side caching, not CF. Curious!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
NGL I miss the old sensitivity for pulling to the next page. I never had a problem with it before the big change, and now it’s almost impossible to go to a next page while holding one-handed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

NGL I miss the old sensitivity for pulling to the next page. I never had a problem with it before the big change, and now it’s almost impossible to go to a next page while holding one-handed.

Luckily in the beta it’s configurable

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
is there any real barrier to adding the sent items folder to the PM view? Is there something that makes it different and more difficult to implement than the inbox and compose functions?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Hmm for me it’s basically the same as before the first change.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I can confirm I also consistently cannot use spoilers without the quote workaround on my XR.

same

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Suggestion for the Imgur code: append “h” to the end of image names to improve image streaming to smartphone devices and tablets for larger/high definition images.

Example Image without h:

Example Image with h:

(I manually do this in the dog thread all the time, but having an additional flag option in settings to have this bolted onto the code by default would be rad)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I use "l"

forgot about "h"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I prefer timg, gives you a clickable thumbnail that goes from small to big

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I prefer timg, gives you a clickable thumbnail that goes from small to big

Yeah and I just use a shortcut on iOS that uploads the picture and spits out a timg link.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah and I just use a shortcut on iOS that uploads the picture and spits out a timg link.

Same. It works very well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Where does the app pull thread icons from?

Just as a point of curiosity because my bookmarked threads are slowly not displaying art

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Where does the app pull thread icons from?

Just as a point of curiosity because my bookmarked threads are slowly not displaying art

What's one of the threads that's not displaying art? The tags are made by contributors and sometimes a thread changes its tag to one that hasn't been made yet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

carry on then posted:

What's one of the threads that's not displaying art? The tags are made by contributors and sometimes a thread changes its tag to one that hasn't been made yet.

lol so I've noticed most of them are from CSPAM where I hang out mostly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875863

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol so I've noticed most of them are from CSPAM where I hang out mostly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875863

A lot have been removed because apple was rejecting the app because of them, could be getting caught in that as well.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
big report: threads that were unstickied but previously stickied stay at the top of the list as if they were still sticky. also posted by field somehow displays some users previous username if they have changed it

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Would it be possible to load posted tweets in a dark mode? I’m reading the trump thread in the dark and every posted tweet is like a flashlight.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Bill Brasky posted:

Would it be possible to load posted tweets in a dark mode? I’m reading the trump thread in the dark and every posted tweet is like a flashlight.

Haha I juuuust started using dark mode, and had the exact same experience (same thread too!). It seems to be worse visually the lower you go in brightness, as you're straining more to see the normal text then boom, something like 10x brighter than the surrounding page.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Dark tweets look like they could be possible according to this :

https://twittercommunity.com/t/embedded-tweets-night-mode/109244

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Data Graham posted:

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

Yeah, I’m getting this too.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spanky the dolphin posted:

Dark tweets look like they could be possible according to this :

https://twittercommunity.com/t/embedded-tweets-night-mode/109244

Yeah we've been doing that for *checks commitlog* years

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sereri posted:

Yeah we've been doing that for *checks commitlog* years

Platform sass is the last thing this thread needs

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:negative: ahh I didn't mean it like that, more in a "yeah it's tried and tested" kinda way but yeah rereading what I wrote it's not possible to read it in a good way. Sorry.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sereri posted:

:negative: ahh I didn't mean it like that, more in a "yeah it's tried and tested" kinda way but yeah rereading what I wrote it's not possible to read it in a good way. Sorry.

No worries, just didn't want someone to take that post in the wrong light and run with it. :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Port this to the iWatch for hilarity’s sake.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I can't click on usernames to get functions like posts in thread anymore. only just noticed I guess because I'm mostly reading

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
My spoiler text as fixed for a while when I was on vacation over the weekend and then it wasn't anymore?? I'm posting about it but honestly as a software developer this is the worst possible vague post about a bug at all so please don't even respond to this.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I made this End of the Thread replacement gif.

(It should be grey like the current refresh arrow in use.)

I see it working either gradually as you pull or triggering to play once you pull enough.

Here's a link to the pngs.

If somebody could bung it in a beta for testing that'd be awesome!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

I made this End of the Thread replacement gif.

(It should be grey like the current refresh arrow in use.)

I see it working either gradually as you pull or triggering to play once you pull enough.

Here's a link to the pngs.

If somebody could bung it in a beta for testing that'd be awesome!

The animation is cool/fun, however I think it's a lipstick on a pig situation (and maybe this wasn't even your intent).

The treatment of the bottom of the page needs to be something way more dramatic than an icon because people are just not able to identify the icon in time before the action is triggered. This isn't all UI, part of it is the actually values of the scroll trigger. However, I'd love to see what you could do with something more like this, 100% width that really punches you in the face that you have hit the end of the page. This is a super rough sketch of the idea:

https://i.imgur.com/sebXgxX.mp4

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GenericGirlName posted:

My spoiler text as fixed for a while when I was on vacation over the weekend and then it wasn't anymore?? I'm posting about it but honestly as a software developer this is the worst possible vague post about a bug at all so please don't even respond to this.

Force closing the app and then restarting it brings back spoiler text reading. Then after some amount of time it stops.

Hope that helps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

The animation is cool/fun, however I think it's a lipstick on a pig situation (and maybe this wasn't even your intent).

The treatment of the bottom of the page needs to be something way more dramatic than an icon because people are just not able to identify the icon in time before the action is triggered. This isn't all UI, part of it is the actually values of the scroll trigger. However, I'd love to see what you could do with something more like this, 100% width that really punches you in the face that you have hit the end of the page. This is a super rough sketch of the idea:

https://i.imgur.com/sebXgxX.mp4

Please for the love of god consider how buggy everything you're asking for in this design will wind up being

e: I can't even make the bottom toolbar opaque without something breaking that I literally cannot figure out how to fix

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/835

it's driving me up a wall and i basically haven't made any progress

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 30, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s purely a design exploration, I’m not going to limit it based on feasibility at this point. Also to be honest it’s nothing unreasonable for an app design. Maybe for awful with how much it has to sacrifice being a scraper, but again that’s not really the point of a first round exploration.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

The treatment of the bottom of the page needs to be something way more dramatic than an icon because people are just not able to identify the icon in time before the action is triggered. This isn't all UI, part of it is the actually values of the scroll trigger

This idea was for the end of the thread, not the end of the page. I think the latter has been explored a lot and works well enough for now with a disable trigger in settings for those it pisses off.

The idea I had would replace the end of the thread text itself. I think it's a fun, cleaner alternative to how a thread ends at the moment. Here's a crude mock up of what I was thinking :

Maybe bumping up the padding around it a bit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

It’s purely a design exploration, I’m not going to limit it based on feasibility at this point. Also to be honest it’s nothing unreasonable for an app design. Maybe for awful with how much it has to sacrifice being a scraper, but again that’s not really the point of a first round exploration.

Well, you're going to be waiting a while for me to get this working...