Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man Ryobi will try anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Battery-powered post-hole digger? I can see the utility there. It's kinda niche, but probably not significantly more so than a gasoline-powered post-hole digger.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I feel like you need a cord to get anywhere there. You wouldn't expect anything out of a battery powered hammer drill you know?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Atticus_1354 posted:

So I am about to do a large amount of dirt work to restore some property and fix some flood damage. The problem is I will be solo for most of it. So what is a decent laser transit that can be used solo and doesnt cost thousands of dollars? It needs to have some decent range as I will be marking contour lines that are over 50 yards long and dont want to be constantly resetting it.

I assume you'll be using a tractor? You might consider a bubble string line too.

coathat posted:

You'd never catch me using a straight augur like that. One nutcracker waiting to happen. Give me the type with the safety shaft errytime.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I feel like you need a cord to get anywhere there. You wouldn't expect anything out of a battery powered hammer drill you know?

Yeah, I guess my statement was premised on the tool actually being capable of doing the job.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

coathat posted:

For when you need to drill half a post hole.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Free saw somewhere in Ontario! I kid, that is a sweet saw post pics of the cool stuff you make with it

Will do. I've been using a Delta 8" non-sliding mitre saw for years, and a lovely Rona brand 12" sliding for nearly as long. The Delta makes beautiful cuts, but I'm pretty much limited to cutting 7" stuff. The Rona can cut the wider stuff, but it does an absolute poo poo job. I am excited to use a saw that can do both!

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 7, 2018

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

coathat posted:

That's a perfect post for the top of the page with this thread title.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

coathat posted:

Don't forget to call before you dig.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Is a garage heater a bad idea, generally speaking? Trying to find a Christmas gift for my brother, and he's (really) getting into the whole wood-working thing out there, but I'm not sure whether it's a non-starter. Don't think it'd need to be crazy powerful, just needs to take the edge off half the year.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Get him one of those battery-powered jackets. Why heat the garage when you can heat the person?

I'm actually kind of serious here. They're more expensive than IR lamps, but with the lamp you have to aim it where the person is and people move around a lot. A garage is not gonna retain heat pretty much no matter what you do thanks to the garage door.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I have a little De'Longhi that is pretty nice in my small garage

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

FakePoet posted:

Is a garage heater a bad idea, generally speaking?

Depends on what type of heater you mean. There are units that hookup to natural gas, a large propane tank, or electric. Most of the higher BTU units will require a new gas line or the rent of a propane tank + install or probably a new 230v high amp circuit. Anything that just plugs into a 120v outlet probably won't throw enough heat to make a difference depending on the size of the garage and/or its air-tightness.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FakePoet posted:

Is a garage heater a bad idea, generally speaking? Trying to find a Christmas gift for my brother, and he's (really) getting into the whole wood-working thing out there, but I'm not sure whether it's a non-starter. Don't think it'd need to be crazy powerful, just needs to take the edge off half the year.

Those old kerosene heaters used to give you brain damage. So glad to have upgraded to my 30000 btu propane heater. Mounts right on the tank. Just keep it away from flammable materials, including potential clouds of sawdust, and FOR GOD'S SAKE don't be using flammable finishes.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
How well insulated is the garage? I have a gas Mr. Heater installed in my garage and it does a great job. I keep my garage at 60 in the winter (I live in North Dakota) and my heating bill doesn't jump a bunch.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Another quality Harbor Freight printing job-

Works great though!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wish it was taintshaker

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FakePoet posted:

This is $30 more then I paid for it, but is pretty awesome. It heats up our uninsulated garage pretty well, and running it on high for more then 10 minutes makes it way too hot.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
This may be a can of worms, but I grew up using DeWalt tools. I currently have the 20v impact and drill. Now that I am out of school and have a decent job, I'd like to expand my tools in anticipation of renting a house with a garage for projects and eventually buying a house down the road.

I feel like I might want to move away from the DeWalt environment. I've been thinking Milwaukee, because they just kind of seem to be a better tool. I've been trying to do research, but like every internet reviewer, everybody is super noncommittal to make sure that they don't piss off someone that might give them free poo poo.

Is there a goon consensus on DeWalt, Milwaukee, or some other brand for cordless tools? I know that for the big stuff (table saw, bandsaw, stuff like that), I'm going to do it right and buy good stuff (probably Jet, idk).

I'm just tired of having HF-level tools.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Target Practice posted:

Is there a goon consensus on DeWalt, Milwaukee, or some other brand for cordless tools? I know that for the big stuff (table saw, bandsaw, stuff like that), I'm going to do it right and buy good stuff (probably Jet, idk).

Every couple pages there is talk about what system to get into, read back a bit and you'll find the latest.

Otherwise, figure out what is most readily available in your area and just buy that. Or whatever is on sale in the big names. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of them these days. Not really. Especially compared to harbour freight level stuff.

Personally I use a Hitachi brushless driver and impact. Haven't been able to kill them in ~5 years of abuse. Will be getting some Makita gear next cos they have the gear I want now.

Last couple trades I talked to just run ryobi everything. They treat them as disposable tools after having the good poo poo pinched too many times.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Target Practice posted:

There is no consensus, and everyone here is biased too :v: . There are some that like Ryobi for being "good enough" and the cheapest with a huge selection but if you're looking for something better than HF quality I'd avoid them.

I like DeWalt cause I don't want to pay for Makita. Some here are big fans of Milwaukee, I personally find their drills to be unweildy or not balanced or... Something. Good product though, and I do have their 12v line for my service truck which has been very handy.

Go to a box store that has them out for display and check them out, see how they feel and what's on sale?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I run a mish mash of ridgid, ryobi, and dewalt. And a hilti. I couldn't possibly find a difference in quality between my dewalt and ridgid tools if I tried. My ryobis are typically garbage with a few exceptions, and my Hilti impact drill is my favorite tool ever. Both batteries are still going strong after about 10 years of use.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I had a DeWalt 14.4V drill that I used for everything for 10 years and abused it to the point where I smoked the motor (brushes could probably have been changed, idk). Fireworks show whenever I pulled the trigger, smelled like lightning, etc. I did some research and found that you can't really go that wrong with any of the lines you're looking at and the biggest differentiator was available tools for each line. Based on this I chose Milwaukee and have bought a poo poo ton of tools in the meantime, all of which have been in various states of use or abuse with no significant problems. For heavy-use stuff I tend to go brushless but don't have a lot of things to compare it to.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I asked the same question a few pages back for a Black Friday sale Home Depot had on and I ended up going with Milwaukee. Not that I have anything to compare to, but I've been happy with the purchase. I've only had reason to use the drill and it feels very solid and weighty to use. My only complaint would be that the chuck doesn't handle tiny drill bits very well and I've had one stick in wood, but that was likely my own fault for not tightening enough. I'm used to an old hand drill with a chuck-tightening cog attached to the wire, not these new-fangled ratcheting chucks.

I also have a Bosch router and jigsaw and they're probably my two favorite tools to use.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I am totally in the bag for Bosch poo poo. I find their 12V line to be powerful enough for pretty much everything (I built a goddamned deck with it!) and to be balanced better than the Milwaukee for woodworking. The selection is definitely more limited but I'm also at the point where I can't see a lot of things in the Milwaukee line where they'd be anything other than a luxury for the two times I'd use it over the course of my life.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've got a mix of ryobi 18v, milwaukee 12v and 18v.

recently dumped my cheapo ryobi impact driver and drill for M18 and it was well worth the money to upgrade.

highly recommend the hydraulic impact driver just for the noise reduction factor.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I asked the same question a few pages back for a Black Friday sale Home Depot had on and I ended up going with Milwaukee. Not that I have anything to compare to, but I've been happy with the purchase. I've only had reason to use the drill and it feels very solid and weighty to use. My only complaint would be that the chuck doesn't handle tiny drill bits very well and I've had one stick in wood, but that was likely my own fault for not tightening enough. I'm used to an old hand drill with a chuck-tightening cog attached to the wire, not these new-fangled ratcheting chucks.

I also have a Bosch router and jigsaw and they're probably my two favorite tools to use.

I need to take my DeWalt jigsaw apart and check the switch, but haven't been motivated. The only way it stays on is if I hold the saw horizontally, which is sorta Tim the Toolman goofy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Don't forget to call before you dig.

You make a joke, but that is always a good idea and it's free. 811 works in all 50 states now.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have a Bosch drill that my dad got me that I absolutely love

But I can’t justify throwing around Bosch money on all my tools so I’m a lowly Ryobi boy and I’m happy enough with everything I have

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I dont think you can beat milwaukee straight grinders or cut offs and if you can do it better I'd love to try them out

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kid sinister posted:

You make a joke, but that is always a good idea and it's free. 811 works in all 50 states now.

Truth said in jest, yes.

I deal with locates pretty much every working day.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Sockser posted:

I’m a lowly Ryobi boy
Ryoboi?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Looks like Delta is getting back in to the mitre saw business.

This looks. . . familiar.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Just picked up the ridgid $199 deal for 3 tools and two 4.0 batteries. Hammer Drill, impact driver, and 1/2 impact wrench. I’m stoked to try out the impact wrench. Box says it is rated at 450ft lbs which will be about 448 ft lbs more than my corded HF impact.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Pro Christmas gift. Much more sensitive than my other Klein ncvt.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Any opinions on belt sanders and drill presses? For the former, specifically opinions on the handheld ones vs. stationary ones? I guess handheld is better for large pieces and stationary for small ones, but honestly I've never used one before and I figure it's about time I got one.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any opinions on belt sanders and drill presses? For the former, specifically opinions on the handheld ones vs. stationary ones? I guess handheld is better for large pieces and stationary for small ones

That's basically it.

For handheld, your standard is going to be 3" x 21", but stationary units come in a dizzying array of useful widths and lengths. I've found a bench-mount 4"x36" and 1"x30" (for detail work), to be the DIY basic kit. 6" x X" and larger are also very useful, but you're starting to get into floor mount units with outrageous prices. You'd probably know if you absolutely need one of these right now.

FYI, the 1x30 also doubles as a razor-making knife sharpener. With some ultra high grit belts (600, 800, 1000+) and some practice/care, you can make all your blades scary-sharp in minutes without hunching over a whetstone like we're in the 1700s.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 28, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks! Any opinions on brands/models?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cool, thanks! Any opinions on brands/models?
I like a 4x24” because it sands faster, but they’re also more expensive and the belts are trickier to find at big box places (on the other hand, the belts they sell at big box stores are lovely anyway). I have this Makita https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223IY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N.AjCbR7Q3HG0
It is the best belt sander I’ve ever used but probably overkill. I used to have a Porter Cable that was good too. A belt sander is one of those tools you want to be heavy because the weight of the tool is doing most of the work. Whatever you get, get some of this graphite fabric to go between the belt and the platten-it makes a world of difference. Keeps the belts from digging into the wood and helps them run cooler and last longer. https://woodworker.com/4-wide-graphite-canvas-mssu-919-610.asp?search=Graphite&searchmode=2

I’d get a portable/handheld one- you can always clamp it upside down and have it as a small stationary sander too. Stationary edge sanders tend to kick up a ton of dust and not have very good dust collection.

Using a belt sander to sand a flat surface is a bit tricky to get the hang of at first, but it’s the fastest way to sand by far.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like a 4x24” because it sands faster, but they’re also more expensive and the belts are trickier to find at big box places (on the other hand, the belts they sell at big box stores are lovely anyway). I have this Makita https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223IY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N.AjCbR7Q3HG0
It is the best belt sander I’ve ever used but probably overkill. I used to have a Porter Cable that was good too. A belt sander is one of those tools you want to be heavy because the weight of the tool is doing most of the work. Whatever you get, get some of this graphite fabric to go between the belt and the platten-it makes a world of difference. Keeps the belts from digging into the wood and helps them run cooler and last longer. https://woodworker.com/4-wide-graphite-canvas-mssu-919-610.asp?search=Graphite&searchmode=2

I’d get a portable/handheld one- you can always clamp it upside down and have it as a small stationary sander too. Stationary edge sanders tend to kick up a ton of dust and not have very good dust collection.

Using a belt sander to sand a flat surface is a bit tricky to get the hang of at first, but it’s the fastest way to sand by far.

I have that one too, I love it. It will absolutely take a bunch off if you arent careful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

B-Nasty posted:

That's basically it.

For handheld, your standard is going to be 3" x 21", but stationary units come in a dizzying array of useful widths and lengths. I've found a bench-mount 4"x36" and 1"x30" (for detail work), to be the DIY basic kit. 6" x X" and larger are also very useful, but you're starting to get into floor mount units with outrageous prices. You'd probably know if you absolutely need one of these right now.

FYI, the 1x30 also doubles as a razor-making knife sharpener. With some ultra high grit belts (600, 800, 1000+) and some practice/care, you can make all your blades scary-sharp in minutes without hunching over a whetstone like we're in the 1700s.

3"x21" should be banned, I'm not kidding. There's not enough surface area to keep consistently flat.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Same. I'm not a Bosch fanboy, but I recommend their 4"x24" unreservedly. I've had mine for 30 years. The dust bag looks like an old bull scrote, but that thing will keep hogging long after I'm done.