Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

silvergoose posted:

So I tried my new Pikesville Rye.

Very good, but very strong, it's 110 proof. Added a splash of water and that mellowed it a bit but I'm not sure if I can say I like it any better than the cheaper rittenhouse bonded rye.

I also got some recently and while the proof hasn’t bothered me, it seems more one-dimensional than I expected. I’ve tried it on its own and in a Manhattan. I don’t dislike it; I just had higher expectations.

Regarding Monkey Shoulder, I don’t like it on its own, but I think it’s good in cocktails. I like it in an Old Fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

DoctaFun posted:

There’s a liquor store in the twin cities here that has laphroaig 10 on sale for $29.99, I wish I liked the stuff more cause I’d stock up!

It’s not as great as it used to be. It’s a real pity it’s bottled at 40% these days.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I used to really enjoy L10 but this last bottle seemed 'lesser'.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I confirmed that the Aberlour A’bunadh my dad found for me is $69.99(not $77) , I need to open up the bottle I got and see if I like it, cause everywhere has it for about $98 near me, and I’ve heard the older batches are better.

In other oddities, the cub foods by my house has johnnie walker green for $52.99 and Johnnie walker black for $59.99, which seems ... strange.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I bet Black Label outsells Green Label at even boutique shops 100:1 (which is lower than the total sales ratio by a couple orders of magnitude.)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone tried Flaming Heart or Juveniles by Compass Box?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TobinHatesYou posted:

I bet Black Label outsells Green Label at even boutique shops 100:1 (which is lower than the total sales ratio by a couple orders of magnitude.)

True, but I don’t think it would if the MSRP was higher for black than green!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DoctaFun posted:

In other oddities, the cub foods by my house has johnnie walker green for $52.99 and Johnnie walker black for $59.99, which seems ... strange.

That sounds about right for a handle (1.75) of black label - are you sure that wasn't it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For me, black label is just sippable but green is enjoyable.

Edit, sp

wormil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 28, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Anyone tried Flaming Heart or Juveniles by Compass Box?

Flaming heart was great some years ago. I couldn’t speak to juveniles, never had it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just had my first dram of A’bunadh, it is absolutely wonderful. I was worried it was going to be all sherry and nothing else but it’s got a lot going on. They don’t list an age statement , but I feel there is definitely some old whisky in here. Almost chewy in the mouth.

I had some Glenmorangie Lasanta last night and this just blows it out of the water. That was just so much thinner and looking back seems almost artificially sweet if that makes sense.

I will be stopping at that liquor store tomorrow and buying another bottle of this as it’s probably unlikely I’ll run across the same batch again.

Any similar bottles you guys would recommend? I have Glendronach on my list, maybe glenfarclas 105? Especially if there is something with the same chewiness to it. Is it the alcohol content that leads to that?

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 28, 2018

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

DoctaFun posted:

Just had my first dram of A’bunadh, it is absolutely wonderful. I was worried it was going to be all sherry and nothing else but it’s got a lot going on. They don’t list an age statement , but I feel there is definitely some old whisky in here. Almost chewy in the mouth.

I had some Glenmorangie Lasanta last night and this just blows it out of the water. That was just so much thinner and looking back seems almost artificially sweet if that makes sense.

I will be stopping at that liquor store tomorrow and buying another bottle of this as it’s probably unlikely I’ll run across the same batch again.

Any similar bottles you guys would recommend? I have Glendronach on my list, maybe glenfarclas 105? Especially if there is something with the same chewiness to it. Is it the alcohol content that leads to that?

If you like 'chewy', maybe try Clynelish, Springbank or Mortlach.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Edradour Caledonia is another real good one to look at if you like chewy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anybody try Ralfy's whisky of the year, GlenAllachie 12yo? I'm picking up a bottle today because it was only €37 on sale, and Ralfy never steered me wrong.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Anybody try Ralfy's whisky of the year, GlenAllachie 12yo? I'm picking up a bottle today because it was only €37 on sale, and Ralfy never steered me wrong.

I've had a few Glenallachies but not the 12 OB. One sherry-bomb from the Chivas Cask Strength series was all sorts of wonderful. Let us know how it is.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ahh. That explains why we sold out of that today. Haven’t tried it though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

For me, black panel is just sippable but green is enjoyable.

Green is great and is one of a small number of bottles I rebuy when I finish (assuming I can find it for ~$40, which I usually can when Costco runs their Scotch promotions).

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

So today is my birthday and despite being surrounded by hundreds of bottles of whisky I'm getting bladdered on Ukrainian vodka. Cheers whisk(e)y goons!

EDIT

Here is a picture of one of my cattes with one of my best bottles of whisky.

biglads fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 28, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

So today is my birthday and despite being surrounded by hundreds of bottles of whisky I'm getting bladdered on Ukrainian vodka. Cheers whisk(e)y goons!

EDIT

I'll drink one to your health today. Slainte!

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Green is great and is one of a small number of bottles I rebuy when I finish (assuming I can find it for ~$40, which I usually can when Costco runs their Scotch promotions).

Besides green label, what’s made your re-buy list?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

mentalcontempt posted:

Not my post but I figure this is a good conversation starter. The things I always have on hand are...

Old Overholt
Old Grand-Dad

For the price these can’t be beat for mixers in my opinion. And they’re good enough to drink straight as well. Though sometimes I switch to Rittenhouse instead of Old Overholt.

I also always have a bottle of Lagavulin because it’s the one scotch I absolutely love and nothing else can replace it.

Other whiskies will comes and go but these are staples.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mentalcontempt posted:

Rittenhouse Rye, WT101, OGD 114, and Buffalo Trace (for value) on the American side.

In terms of Scotch, I tend to keep an A'bunadh around. I've also re-upped my Deanston 9 Bordeaux Cask a couple times because I happen to love it, but it's a one-time offering so I won't be able to do that forever. Generally I prefer to try new one-offs in Scotch rather than get another bottle of entry-level stuff (which tends to be quite boring, in my opinion). I don't drink enough heavily peated Islay or plain ex-bourbon speyside/highland stuff to merit repurchases. If I see a good deal on the Benriach Cask Strength (batch 2) I'll probably buy it again, though, I really enjoyed that one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

biglads posted:

The "whiskey vs. whisky" debate is over. It's all wisukii now.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Just had my first dram of A’bunadh, it is absolutely wonderful.

Have you tried the 18 year old Glenmorangie yet? Family gave me that too this year and I'd be interested in what you have to say.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

geegee posted:

Have you tried the 18 year old Glenmorangie yet? Family gave me that too this year and I'd be interested in what you have to say.

I haven’t yet! I’ll definitely report back when I do.

Speaking of that, what type of open:unopened ratio do you guys role with? I know whisky doesn’t really go bad, but there’s just something psychologically difficult about opening every single bottle immediately.

I have probably 85% of my bottles open, but I have a couple backup bottles that obviously stay closed up until I need them.

I did end up getting one more bottle of that A’bunadh Batch 47, I might yet go back and get their last bottle, but that will have to wait until I get paid again.

My wife got me some crystal glencairn classes, and I must say it is ore enjoyable to drink out of those than an old fashioned glad or the cheap snifter thing I had before.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Fred Minnick's choice of whiskey of the year Barrell Craft Spirits Cask Strength 15 year old bourbon is really good although at 105.1 proof its ABV is sort of low for a cask strength, It's really good neat. Not sure if anything is worth $250 but I'm already considering whether to get a second bottle.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Any recommendations for getting into brandy/cognac/etc.? I have a bottle of Martell VS single distillery that I’ve liked and is mostly gone. Besides that, I don’t have much experience with it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
A small post-Christmas gift from my parents. Does anyone know about this Viking Honour bottling? Is this different than their usual 12-year bottling? All I really know is that they picked it up at the distillery.

EDIT: poo poo, sorry about the sidewards picture. Not sure why it did that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 31, 2018

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

As I understand it, they’ve just re-branded the 12-year-old bottling as of 2017.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it's just the regular 12yo. Highland Park is a fine whisky but this marketing nonsense is hurting the brand imo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm staying in Edinburgh at an airbnb. The owner says her family if from the islands and her mother managed the distillery at one point.

:iiam:

All I know is that I drank a bunch of it yesterday.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My dad got a bottle of 1792 single barrel the other day so I tried a bit at his house. I’ve been wanting to pickup something from that range, but I’m glad I tried it first. It just didn’t suit my tastes, felt real thin and dry, and just didn’t hit any good high spots for me.

Glad I tried it so I can focus my spending elsewhere!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just picked up a Stagg Jr. at msrp from my local store. They also had Weller SR at msrp but it was already sold out. Its ridiculous that there is premium pricing for what is intended to be budget bourbons. I also picked up some OF 1920. The OF 1920 was a pleasant surprise. Really delicious like a spicy brown sugar soda.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

My dad got a bottle of 1792 single barrel the other day so I tried a bit at his house. I’ve been wanting to pickup something from that range, but I’m glad I tried it first. It just didn’t suit my tastes, felt real thin and dry, and just didn’t hit any good high spots for me.

Glad I tried it so I can focus my spending elsewhere!

I'm not a fan of 1792 myself, either. Barton's Distillery just doesn't seem to produce the same quality as the rest of Buffalo Trace.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

OF 1920 was so good that I picked up a back up bottle today. While I was there I found out my shop had just gotten a Buffalo Trace shipment including BTAC and someone had put the one bottle of William Larue Weller up at $79.99 in the system! I assume they miskeyed $799.99. Anyway I had them search for the one bottle but apparently it had disappeared immediately. I suspect an insider at the shop sold themselves the bottle for $79.99.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've been craving a drink aside from beer (which I drink maybe twice a year), so I've been browsing the thread for a while. Settled on Elijah Craig 12 year small batch, as I used to really enjoy a good scotch but never really tried bourbon.

I figured I'd open it and have a drink for New Year's.

It's still sitting there, beckoning and unopened.

I am a sad person.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's still sitting there, beckoning and unopened.

You know there's a fix for that, right?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm just making excuses now. We lost most of our crap to hurricane Harvey last year and haven't gotten around to the nice glassware.

Can't drink a nice bourbon out of a cheap acrylic water glass...

Like I said, sad 😔

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm just making excuses now. We lost most of our crap to hurricane Harvey last year and haven't gotten around to the nice glassware.

Can't drink a nice bourbon out of a cheap acrylic water glass...

Like I said, sad 😔

I was going to make a ‘who cares’ comment, but there is definitely something about drinking good booze out of plastic that is somewhat unsatisfying.

If you pm me your address I’ll send you a nice double old fashioned glass, sorry to hear about Harvey :(.

I just opened my bottle of Oban 14 today and am enjoying a small glass, what an interesting whisky! Just the slightest amount of smoke and brine, but overall fairly sweet and I get some green apple in there too.

I’m a fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I could also spare a glencairn glass