Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My wife finally got a permanent job offer at the municipality she's been working at for ~4 years. This has been a long time coming and it's really, really fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Pastry of the Year posted:

between bonetown and gainful employment, seems like everything's comin' up TP

DizzyBum posted:

:yotj: Gainful employment!

Thank you!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You should totally learn Mandarin, it's a cool language. If you're that good at picking up characters, you'll love it.

Yeah I actually always wanted to know how it works and then it just like, made sense. How and why it works. Out of nowhere. I also just realized I had a dream about it. I can't read except a few characters but luckily my favorite show is only on a Chinese site so it has Chinese translations on the bottom so I can practice with google translate and writing it out.

I'll keep watching this show to practice writing and pick up some books. Japanese ones as well cause I studied that on and off a little before (I'm a loser nerd) which obviously helped me be able to write the characters.

E: some of them are like :psyduck: it's like a Jason Pollock creation. I do understand why it's like that (again I don't know why I know this) but omg....

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Dec 20, 2018

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thin Privilege posted:

Thank you!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Yeah I actually always wanted to know how it works and then it just like, made sense. How and why it works. Out of nowhere. I also just realized I had a dream about it. I can't read except a few characters but luckily my favorite show is only on a Chinese site so it has Chinese translations on the bottom so I can practice with google translate and writing it out.

I'll keep watching this show to practice writing and pick up some books. Japanese ones as well cause I studied that on and off a little before (I'm a loser nerd) which obviously helped me be able to write the characters.

E: some of them are like :psyduck: it's like a Jason Pollock creation. I do understand why it's like that (again I don't know why I know this) but omg....

YoyoChinese.com is a really good online course. It's what I used.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Bertrand Hustle posted:

YoyoChinese.com is a really good online course. It's what I used.

Cool beans, I'll check that out, thanks!

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

LAST DAY OF WORK BEFORE CHRISTMAS BREAK (I'm not going in to work tomorrow lmao)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Second to last for me, and a bunch of guys at work pooled together money and had a huge pizza party for everyone in our area. I grabbed a few pieces of what I thought was a chicken parm calzone, but is actually called a "fat chicken" and has mozzarella sticks cooked into a chicken parm calzone. Real great, but I still have five hours to go and now I want to go to sleep right now

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
I just came out of surgery to remove a tumor from my breast (sorry if that is tmi here). The surgeon said afterward that they’re 99% it’s non cancerous, but I’ll know 100% in a week.

It was pretty painless and I feel fine, and I’m so glad to have that literal weight off my chest.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tallest crocodile posted:

I just came out of surgery to remove a tumor from my breast (sorry if that is tmi here). The surgeon said afterward that they’re 99% it’s non cancerous, but I’ll know 100% in a week.

It was pretty painless and I feel fine, and I’m so glad to have that literal weight off my chest.

:toot:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Just 10 days after submitting his application, my oldest kid got an acceptance letter from one of his choices for college next year. I am so happy for him, even though he considers this his safety school.

But I am also very sad, I'm really going to miss him.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I get off two hours early today, so I'm only doing a ten hour day! It's also very nice that there isn't a wind storm blowing trees down tonight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I forgot that our bank will be closed the day of Christmas :downs: so I had to tell Mom a bit early that the entire reason I'd been so adamant about saving up a minimum of a thousand dollars before the new year, was so I could give it to her to cover the rent for January.

I don't think I've ever seen her look quite so bewildered. She kept asking if I was sure, and didn't I have other people I had to get things for, and so on and so forth. Yes, mom, I'm sure. This is what I saved it for. Use your money to get caught up on your other bills and loans and such. Let someone else worry about the rent just once.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I forgot that our bank will be closed the day of Christmas :downs: so I had to tell Mom a bit early that the entire reason I'd been so adamant about saving up a minimum of a thousand dollars before the new year, was so I could give it to her to cover the rent for January.

I don't think I've ever seen her look quite so bewildered. She kept asking if I was sure, and didn't I have other people I had to get things for, and so on and so forth. Yes, mom, I'm sure. This is what I saved it for. Use your money to get caught up on your other bills and loans and such. Let someone else worry about the rent just once.

You're a good kid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Got a bunch of cool Christmas presents and ate way too much food and got to see all the family members together coming home for Christmas.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My uncle is a fire captain who had to work today, but his hall held a little brunch for families to stop by, visit, check out the trucks. They pulled out the jaws of life and crushed some water bottles for the kids. It was really nice.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I got awards at work for giving excellent care. Then came home to ice cream and barbecue and tomorrow I'm off so I'm going to see Aquaman.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I finally got the chance to apply for open booth space at two really awesome antique shops. I always wanted a permanent physical space to sell my vintage books and life kept getting in the way of previous attempts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Got the position I applied for a month ago. Should really open up some doors for me. Not literal doors, but by doors I mean opportunities for advancement in my career.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
grandad died

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Got the position I applied for a month ago. Should really open up some doors for me. Not literal doors, but by doors I mean opportunities for advancement in my career.

A true gentleman of a job would open the literal door for you as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My parents got me a sandwich toaster! Now I can make toasties! I was expecting them to just return my umbrella as I'd forgotten to bring it back from their house, so this is a cool bonus.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

More like oldunemployedless!!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My brother rescued a mouse a week ago and the animal rescue sent him an update today. Mr. Skitters is doing well and enjoying his exercise wheel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Paid myself back for the money I pulled out of savings to fix my car. Paid off my student loan with today's paycheck. All this and I was still able to get my wife a great Christmas gift without breaking the bank.

This is a personal victory for me. It's a massive contrast to a few years ago when I was still struggling with being honest, open and responsible with my finances. What a great way to start off 2019! :dance:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bought some kitchen stuff yesterday, cake pans and a cooling rack, because I always get it into my head to bake something then never do because I don't have the equipment and end up going "Ah, gently caress it." Also my weight is down to 82.8kg, 25.8 bmi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I built the bottom half of the lego saturn v apollo rocket with my dad, who got it for me for christmas. he built the core structure while I assembled all the outer parts, then when we were both done we put them together. A second session will go to putting the other half together, when it's all done it'll be about a meter long I think. Super fun to build and just an engineering marvel, to make an entirely round thing out of mostly bricks and panels.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

The man in front of me at the grocery store was short on food stamps, so I paid for his stuff for him. I’m not telling anyone IRL because I don’t want it to seem like a humblebrag, but it made me feel really good! I like the idea that I contributed to the net positive feeling in the world today.

And anyway, people who say “Oh, people only give charity/volunteer/whatever because it makes them feel good about themselves” are silly! As if that were a bad reason to help someone out.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Last night I finally took some very necessary self-care steps to start pulling myself out of a year+ worth of isolation and self-criticism. Here’s to a brighter and less anxiety-filled tomorrow.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I tried really hard to curb theft in my little store this past year and I found out we were down on losses by half this year over last year after doing inventory. This is on top of our zoo having the highest attendance numbers of all time by a significant percentage. I'm very pleased that it was such a huge difference! I spent every shift I had over the whole year in there and did what I could to manage it best I could.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

FreshFeesh posted:

Last night I finally took some very necessary self-care steps to start pulling myself out of a year+ worth of isolation and self-criticism. Here’s to a brighter and less anxiety-filled tomorrow.

:hfive:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

Congrats, it can be hard to feel human again, I spent a long time feeling like I was outside of society and it took a good bit of self reflection and work to get back to being myself. It's worth it. Send a PM if you ever feel like it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This was the first week in my new position. I make more money and do less work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

oldpainless posted:

This was the first week in my new position. I make more money and do less work.

More like "old work-less"...

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

I’m a part of my neighborhood Buy Nothing group and it’s been amazing thus far. I feel like I know my neighbors better, and today I snagged about 3 or 4 pounds of raw alpaca fleece from one of them for free! Straight from the ‘paca, once I clean it and card it it’s gonna be used for needle felt and other crafty poo poo.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

After a couple weeks of false starts, I finally managed to get up early and go to the gym. :cool:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I booked a trip I'm super-excited about! And it's far enough out that it shouldn't be a problem getting the time off work.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I scheduled and paid for [half, deposit] a thing!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, congrats. Good luck!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Holy poo poo! Good luck qc!

It was my birthday Tuesday and I got shithoused with my wife and my girlfriend, and we all had a heartfelt, emotional, productive discussion on my girlfriend moving in with us.

It's really happening! And the most worrying thing about it is having two people to yell at me about where I leave my shoes sometimes (in the bathroom, taken off in such a position that you know I just dropped a deuce).

SeaGoatSupreme has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Queen Combat posted:

I scheduled and paid for [half, deposit] a thing!

Awesome! Good luck!!