Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yo, my brother picked up a Switch for Christmas.

Can I add him into my Online account as a family account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Yo, my brother picked up a Switch for Christmas.

Can I add him into my Online account as a family account?

If you already own a family account, yes. If you bought a personal account, time for some real bad news. There is no way to upgrade a personal account to a family account without buying an entire new family account.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

If you already own a family account, yes. If you bought a personal account, time for some real bad news. There is no way to upgrade a personal account to a family account without buying an entire new family account.

NOA tweeted yesterday that you can put in a help ticket to change the account type.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't have a current active sub.

Can I just create a family account and add myself in as a sub account, and get my brother to do the same whenever he creates his?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah, you buy a family account and then you can give it email addresses of people you want in your "family", they get a link and can add access to their own nintendo accounts on their own time

I don't remember right now if you can even do this through the switch, might just be the Nintendo website

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, its extremely painless all told. Your family is also allowed to be a lot bigger than you might expect.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barudak posted:

Yeah, its extremely painless all told. Your family is also allowed to be a lot bigger than you might expect.

Yeah you get a total of 8 slots, which is pretty good. Just enough for you, your brother, your best bud, and five alts for griefing in Splatoon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This could be entirely due to the mix of people I'm hanging out with but I'm on vacation with about 16 friends and I'm shocked at what a huge hit Mario Tennis turned out to be (there's a storm so all our plans to beach and island hop were cancelled and we're all just holing ourselves up in a big house). Yeah, they had fun with Smash and Mario Party for a bit, but they haven't stopped playing Mario Tennis since last night. They were playing it for several hours last night past when I went to sleep at midnight, and they've been playing it for at least 4 hours today and haven't stopped yet. And there's an even mix of gamers and nongamers who are way into this, so it's not just the competitive people (although the nongamers have also suddenly gotten incredibly competitive over this). And now they're making plans for a tournament/drinking game.

I don't know if it'll be like this for the rest of you but I think my group's found our ultimate party game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Argue posted:

This could be entirely due to the mix of people I'm hanging out with but I'm on vacation with about 16 friends and I'm shocked at what a huge hit Mario Tennis turned out to be (there's a storm so all our plans to beach and island hop were cancelled and we're all just holing ourselves up in a big house). Yeah, they had fun with Smash and Mario Party for a bit, but they haven't stopped playing Mario Tennis since last night. They were playing it for several hours last night past when I went to sleep at midnight, and they've been playing it for at least 4 hours today and haven't stopped yet. And there's an even mix of gamers and nongamers who are way into this, so it's not just the competitive people (although the nongamers have also suddenly gotten incredibly competitive over this). And now they're making plans for a tournament/drinking game.

I don't know if it'll be like this for the rest of you but I think my group's found our ultimate party game.

It has that effect. When I was in college a dude on my floor rented the GameCube one and put his system in the floor lounge for everyone to play and it was on nonstop until like 5 in the morning every night.

Mario tennis kicks rear end.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tumbleseed is 67% off for Europe/Australia/whatever else is in that region eStore! Making it around $6aud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nstFXogJ-D4

I used my Rain World gold coins to make it even cheaper, because Rain World is also out in my region now!

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1078304521292603392
(it's getting patches to address the input lag issues some players are getting but i haven't been following it close enough to say how pervasive those are tbh)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

drat i want spintires, but it's on sale on steam for 17$. It's only been out a month, I guess I can wait a little longer.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd heard Starlink is like Star Fox but I saw some gameplay and it looks more like a straight up arcade-y space sim. As I recall Star Fox was on rails but they seemed to be flying around freely. Is it actually good? It's weird on the nintendo store the 'deluxe' version is discounted to be a lot cheaper than the 'digital' version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'd heard Starlink is like Star Fox but I saw some gameplay and it looks more like a straight up arcade-y space sim. As I recall Star Fox was on rails but they seemed to be flying around freely. Is it actually good? It's weird on the nintendo store the 'deluxe' version is discounted to be a lot cheaper than the 'digital' version.

It’s fun but a little shallow. I wouldn’t pay more than $30 for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FuzzySlippers posted:

Basically Starlink is a third person Ubisoft-light adventure with some toys to life equipment shoehorned in by swapping your avatar and most other NPCs with either a ship or a building (I'm 100% serious, the game has a jump button, these are not ships)

Fun game but wait for a sale, for sure

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 28, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone know how the Risk of Rain Switch port is? Not like I need to buy another game but I just heard it’s on switch and I remember having a blast with it a while back. That soundtrack is kickass, too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyone know how the Risk of Rain Switch port is? Not like I need to buy another game but I just heard it’s on switch and I remember having a blast with it a while back. That soundtrack is kickass, too.

its good as hell. i have not played another version to compare it to but the game had manic insane pixels going on with v little slowdown. good game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

its good as hell. i have not played another version to compare it to but the game had manic insane pixels going on with v little slowdown. good game

:sigh: Gonna end up buying that one when I get home and I’m not on mobile internet. I keep buying games I already have because having a portable version is that much of an improvement.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Basically Starlink is a third person Ubisoft-light adventure with some toys to life equipment shoehorned in by swapping your avatar and most other NPCs with either a ship or a building (I'm 100% serious, the game has a jump button, these are not ships)

Fun game but wait for a sale, for sure

This is kind of misleading.

The game has two travel modes. A flight mode and a hover mode.

In flight mode (which you can enter almost any time) you fly like a normal ship. You can fly around above the surface of the planet, or go up into space and engage in dogfights with flying enemies. This feels like an open world arcadey flight game.

For certain parts of the planets you are forced into hover mode and since all the planet’s enemies are terrestrial walkers, it’s generally more convenient to be in hover mode while you are near the surface. This feels like zipping around on a land skimmer. You move around much more quickly and loosely than if it was a third person action game.

But it certainly has the tropes of an Ubisoft “lots of icons on a map, lots of things to do big and small” open world game.

Deluxe version of the game is on sale now. For $40, you get all the ships, pilots, and weapons and can skip the toys to life crap entirely.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

content posted:

Korg Gadget is a pretty fun pseudo DAW, but is comically overpriced on the switch. Plus, there's no MIDI functionality (no, labo doesn't work), so maybe research it before you make the plunge. I personally can't imagine using a DAW without some sort of MIDI keyboard compatibility, and I don't see Nintendo adding support anytime soon.
I saw that but like holy poo poo, I just want a piano/keyboard I can jab at on the screen cause the Switch screen is a perfect size compared to my phone.

repiv posted:

the pro controller uses the same battery as the 3ds which is hilariously overkill for how little power it uses
What the gently caress :psyduck:
And yet Sony adds new extra battery draining features into the DS4 then for some rasin puts in a battery that's worse than the DS3.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

number one pta fan posted:

I'm looking for something that plays like Dead Cells that isn't quite so all or nothing when you die. I love it but I need my achievements to be a bit more permanent.

I don't know if I'd call them similar but I've been really loving the action and combat in Hyper Light Drifter.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

No microphone jack in the absurdly expensive pro controller is a pisser. It is a great controller otherwise though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Argue posted:

I was going to post about my evening yesterday before I went to sleep but couldn't be bothered. Basically this. Went to a friend's new house for the first time, 5 of us in total, he got a Switch for Christmas so I brought mine too. Briefly played Fifa on the Xbone (which I'm poo poo at) then a bit of Mario Kart and then an evening of non-stop tennis doubles. I brought Mario Tennis on a whim just to have options and expected to just say "also there's this I guess, lol" but they couldn't get enough.

Did a fair bit of Big Ball swing mode also. And got way too into challenging when the ball was in/out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

No microphone jack in the absurdly expensive pro controller is a pisser. It is a great controller otherwise though.

And no Bluetooth audio on the console either :argh:

I'm seriously considering getting that little dongle so I can use my air pods.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

I was going to post about my evening yesterday before I went to sleep but couldn't be bothered. Basically this. Went to a friend's new house for the first time, 5 of us in total, he got a Switch for Christmas so I brought mine too. Briefly played Fifa on the Xbone (which I'm poo poo at) then a bit of Mario Kart and then an evening of non-stop tennis doubles. I brought Mario Tennis on a whim just to have options and expected to just say "also there's this I guess, lol" but they couldn't get enough.

Did a fair bit of Big Ball swing mode also. And got way too into challenging when the ball was in/out

When you guys do this do you do simple or standard?

We're six at the moment for New Year's, and the group is mainly non-gamers, but it could be nice to have as an option.

On the other hand, not to brag, but I need to learn how to dumb my skills down convincingly enough when playing against my far less proficient friends. Mario Kart is simple enough because it's a challenge and fun for anyone to just be in any position (as long as it's not dead-last), but the battle modes can't be done. Smash I can manage when we do large timed free-for-alls with at least 3 to 4 people. When on 1v1 my friends get discouraged way too fast, even when I decide not to use a single item myself, I don't dodge or shield just run in and attack. In Tennis I try to just stay back and hit long steady strokes down the center, I personally try to see how long I can keep a rally going. But eventually people catch on that I'm not "trying" and get on my case so I try and just beat them down because I've spent years playing these games compared to them. So they get frustrated and refuse to play. I'm not really sure how to make it palatable for everyone.

I realize this is the biggest non-problem since it's fine if we just sit around and talk too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imagined posted:

The gameplay of Beyond Good & Evil was just Pretty Good PS2 Adventure Game, but the voice acting, script, characterization, art style, presentation, and especially music were so :discourse: that the songs and dialogue still get stuck in my head a decade later.

propaganda...

gently caress you for putting that song back in my head :colbert:

But two can play at this little game....
olé-olé - olé-olé *furious engine revving*.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

The Switch version of Necrodancer is perfectly good. I have never had issues with it handheld or docked.

edit: If I misunderstood and you are asking if it is a good game in a general sense, it absolutely is but you should be warned it's really difficult. Expect to see the game over screen a lot. It's fair though.

nah, you answered it the first time, thanks; just some indies just tend to not run so well on the Switch sometimes

Original_Z posted:

Fairune has combat like Ys in that you just contact enemies to do damage. It’s more like a puzzle game than an action rpg though as the combat is pretty brainless, you just keep killing and enemy type until you level up and can kill the next type of monster. The sequel is significantly deeper but still you won’t be getting an epic quest like Zelda or Ys, although I still enjoyed the games.
hmm, so it's like a commute game, that's not so bad

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Steamworld Dig 2 is insanely good fun and it's a tie between that and Hollow Knight for my favourite indie game.

Yeah you can probably complete it in 4 hours but that's if you go straight from objective to objective without exploring. My first playthrough took me about 10-11 hours.

I really want Steamworld Dig 3.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

When you guys do this do you do simple or standard?

We're six at the moment for New Year's, and the group is mainly non-gamers, but it could be nice to have as an option.

On the other hand, not to brag, but I need to learn how to dumb my skills down convincingly enough when playing against my far less proficient friends. Mario Kart is simple enough because it's a challenge and fun for anyone to just be in any position (as long as it's not dead-last), but the battle modes can't be done. Smash I can manage when we do large timed free-for-alls with at least 3 to 4 people. When on 1v1 my friends get discouraged way too fast, even when I decide not to use a single item myself, I don't dodge or shield just run in and attack. In Tennis I try to just stay back and hit long steady strokes down the center, I personally try to see how long I can keep a rally going. But eventually people catch on that I'm not "trying" and get on my case so I try and just beat them down because I've spent years playing these games compared to them. So they get frustrated and refuse to play. I'm not really sure how to make it palatable for everyone.

I realize this is the biggest non-problem since it's fine if we just sit around and talk too.

My group included two people that actually play tennis so they were keen on simple. I dunno if the trick shot/special stuff might be too much for non-gamers. Unless you maybe work them up to it after a few rounds of simple.

Incidentally the Jackbox stuff would be perfect if your friends don't game much, I presume you've already considered that though

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tumbleseed is gooood and having Rain World on the Switch is so cool, it's interesting seeing the differences in the Monk's playthrough

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
You can't invert the x axis camera controls in Starlink and that's the biggest bullshit in the entire world.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

My group included two people that actually play tennis so they were keen on simple. I dunno if the trick shot/special stuff might be too much for non-gamers. Unless you maybe work them up to it after a few rounds of simple.

Incidentally the Jackbox stuff would be perfect if your friends don't game much, I presume you've already considered that though

I have and we've tried it once or twice at someone else's. It's fine, but the occasion's to use it are so few and far between that I don't feel like investing in it. Same reason I don't have Super Mario Party, we so rarely have enough people together and I'm not going to use it for solo play.

Though it would probably be better, there's a few in the group that are keen on board games. I think they prefer it when it reflex and speed are less of a factor and they have "time" to make decisions.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Related. Kind of want to get this for the kids, but it would just be button smashing/basic controls, without combos or anything. Would they still have fun or is this something you need like SF/Tekken combo skills? Also how hard is it to unlock characters? I'd hate for most of the characters to be locked for them.

Also thanks to everyone whose been answering all my random questions, I really appreciate it.

I think the worst part about Smash is actually getting into it. I never played Smash on the Gamecube...I think the first Smash I bought was for the Wii (U)??? And I completely, 100% did not understand what was going on. Played couple of matches, and completely lost interest.

Same thing with Smash Ultimate now. First couple of fights I didn't understand a single thing that was happening, and I was basically "button mashing", and didn't understand why I was sometimes winning and sometimes losing. But since I have some time to waste now over the holidays, I kept at it, and one thing helped me tremendously: picking one fighter and stick with him until I understand the game better. I'm currently playing the ghost adventure mode with Mario (switched to him after I couldn't win some fights with Kirby), and am getting better and better. I also helped a lot when I found out that there is a skill tree, and that it's sometimes better to pick ghosts/sub-ghosts on your own to fit your strengths/weaknesses, instead of auto-optimize.

Imo, the game is rather hard to get into (to understand what's happening), but with every "click" in your head the whole thing gets better and better. For example, I never was a fan of the combos you have to learn in stuff like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter....in Smash they somehow come naturally, not like MK or SF (or I guess Tekken, never played that).

Unlocking characters happens while you play. Either you play in the single player smash and you get challenged by a new character every couple of fights, or you play the "ghost adventure" mode, where you have basically travel a huge overworld map, fighting stuff and unlocking characters while you go (plus ghosts that boost you during a fight). I played for 15 hours now (mainly Ghost adventure mode), and have something like 40 characters unlocked, I'd say 2/3 of them through adventure mode, the rest through random challenges in smash mode.

e: also, what's important imo in ghost adventure mode, if you are stuck at a battle, simply go somewhere else. I had battles were I was 100% there are unwinnable for me. Tried them a dozen times, and never even got remotely close to winning. Ignore them until later. You'll come back with a better skillset, better ghosts that can negate the opponents strengths, and a better understanding of how to equip sub-ghosts. Some of the "100% I will NEVER win this"-battles I then won without even breaking a sweat, simply because I understood all of the mechanics much better.

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 28, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Best thing about spirits mode is the very smart auto equip for them

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Related. Kind of want to get this for the kids, but it would just be button smashing/basic controls, without combos or anything. Would they still have fun or is this something you need like SF/Tekken combo skills? Also how hard is it to unlock characters? I'd hate for most of the characters to be locked for them.

Also thanks to everyone whose been answering all my random questions, I really appreciate it.

I think most people can enjoy Smash on a basic level as attacks make up only two buttons. The game has a really simple control scheme and "moves" aren't composed of a long series of inputs. They may end up plummeting to their deaths A LOT before understanding how to recover (the game is more about launching people off a platform than it is whittling down their health), but if you play fights with a timer, then they can die infinite amount of times, even if they'll probably end up losing.

Unlocking is a natural process. The more you play the more challengers appear, you just have to beat them to use them. These fights were apparently far harder when the game first came out, it seems they've gotten easier? If you fail to get someone they'll show up later or you can just try again. You start with 8 characters that are very varied as it is and the amount grows incredibly quickly. You won't be lacking for options for long, and even if you don't have everyone you will still find characters you enjoy playing.

What tuo said is valid though, best way to get good is to choose one character and get used to their movement, speed, and attacks. You can then eventually apply what you learn there to most other characters, since the controls are the same for everyone. Still, like I said definitely possible to enjoy at any age.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mokinokaro posted:

Best thing about spirits mode is the very smart auto equip for them

That button has changed my life. Tap a couple of times and you even get a wackier loadout.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mario Party is really fun! So many mini games, and the rhythm one is great. The third board is loving awful, and totally luck based, never playing that again. It could be a bit faster and less "cinematic" but it's a great multi-player game!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alan_Shore posted:

The third board is loving awful, and totally luck based, never playing that again.

So... old-school Mario Party, then? :v:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bought Celeste. Story is lame and hipster like we discussed but gameplay is okay. Sometimes the controls are uncooperative and don’t work but that might just be the bad joycons. Thanks for the rec switch thread.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JBP posted:

That button has changed my life. Tap a couple of times and you even get a wackier loadout.

There's been like only once or twice I've gone in and picked a specific spirit to try to make a fight easier, most of the time the autopick logic is really good at picking the right spirits. One exception is the poison levels, it tends to pick three reduce poision damage spirits for some reason instead of my two slot "ignore poison damage" spirit and then a third one. It's easy enough to mash Y until it picks the better option, though.

I've been playing on normal the entire time and only once had to dip down to easy to beat the freaking Legendary dogs fight. Ended up beating them with Wii Fit Trainer, of all characters.

The Funky Kong fight was an exercise in frustration. I ended up baiting a couple of the enemies into bullet billing themselves under the platform and that helped a lot. Still haven't beat Jeff or The Boss yet, but I'm 99% certain there are spirits that make those fights actually doable.

Usually there's at least one character that a fighter doesn't seem programmed to handle. James McCloud beat the poo poo out of Link, Kirby, and Bowser, but Pikachu proved to be be his downfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Empress Brosephine posted:

Bought Celeste. Story is lame and hipster like we discussed but gameplay is okay. Sometimes the controls are uncooperative and don’t work but that might just be the bad joycons. Thanks for the rec switch thread.

the controls are pretty tight, but sometimes the d-pad is not great if you use those