Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The depths people will plunge into to defend their ships will never not be disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Whatever happened to just saying "it would be cute if these two characters got together" and being done with it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhonne posted:

Whatever happened to just saying "it would be cute if these two characters got together" and being done with it?

Or "wow they set something up but never followed through, that's disappointing".

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I'll totally agree there was some jank in the last two seasons and maybe a cut episode but a grand conspiracy solely to destroy a ship it was not.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A lot of ship-to-ship combat this season :v:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

A lot of ship-to-ship combat this season :v:

Voltron x Atlas is my OTP

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

YES bread posted:

Voltron x Atlas is my OTP

Pfffft, like anyone actually has Voltron in their fanfics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Or "wow they set something up but never followed through, that's disappointing".

These days, when a piece of media doesn’t do something people expect/want it to do, a big splinter of it gets stuck in their minds and causes them to Forever Mad about it.

See: Last Jedi, Star Wars The.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McTimmy posted:

I'll totally agree there was some jank in the last two seasons and maybe a cut episode but a grand conspiracy solely to destroy a ship it was not.

Yeah, while I also suspect there was some cut and reedited content throughout this final season -- the point about the weird split screen spacing is compelling, if nothing else -- I don't think it's possible to say exactly what was cut. Not at a casual distance anyway.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I thought it would have been cool to have a Lotor/Allura marriage seal the galactic peace between the Galra and the Alteans/Coalition, but that's just not the kind of show Voltron is and anyone who thought Lotor wasn't going to end up a villain wasn't paying any attention.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought it would have been cool to have a Lotor/Allura marriage seal the galactic peace between the Galra and the Alteans/Coalition, but that's just not the kind of show Voltron is and anyone who thought Lotor wasn't going to end up a villain wasn't paying any attention.

I came across a few people who'd never seen the original cartoon (and that's fine) that were super upset that Allura became the Blue Lion pilot even though like everybody else told them this was going to happen.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Dawgstar posted:

I came across a few people who'd never seen the original cartoon (and that's fine) that were super upset that Allura became the Blue Lion pilot even though like everybody else told them this was going to happen.

There's still people mad that Keith ended up in the black lion too.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Lotor was a villain at all times, which was kinda the most interesting thing about him.

He did spend most of a season helping the Paladins help him, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I mean, if you didn't think Lotor was a villain the entire time after having even a passing knowledge of the original show, yeah... Might want to start practicing paying more attention.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I never got my special filler episode of Lotor playing space D&D with the gang so gently caress this season!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

There's still people mad that Keith ended up in the black lion too.

I didn't mind Keith in the black lion, but I think the way he ended up piloting it could have been done better. Something happens to Shiro and Keith is forced to pilot the lion, then "Shiro" comes back and Keith almost immediately bolts from the team entirely, then something happens to Shiro again and Keith just takes over the lion again without really showing any growth as a leader(other than being aged up two years I guess). Like, it wasn't a big deal, I just thought it could have been done better.

Plus, I thought it would have been cool if the show had subverted expectations and given the black lion to someone else. Allura was basically leading the team by the end anyways, why not give it to her?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I never got my special filler episode of Lotor playing space D&D with the gang so gently caress this season!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I would have loved another D&D episode with Coran getting members of the Atlas crew to join in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I mean, if you didn't think Lotor was a villain the entire time after having even a passing knowledge of the original show, yeah... Might want to start practicing paying more attention.

That was always the tension when watching it. He had that ever present undercurrent of villainy, but the way the show was written and the way AJL voiced him was just nuanced enough that it made you want to believe that he might be sincere about the poo poo he was saying and doing, like he really did want to make the universe an objectively better place. A lot of people fell hard for that and expected him to get the Zuko treatment largely because of the Avatar pedigree behind the show, and because on a show like that a guy who shows that kernel of actually being a decent person deep down usually gets a redemptive arc instead of ending up as a goocorpse.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Pyrotoad posted:

Some people are really mad about this season.

I don't know much about animation but I feel like the level of editing they're suggesting for a four month time frame is utterly impossible.

quote:

I think this should have been the turning point for Lance, where he learns the difference between infatuation and sincere affection. I think very soon after this his relationship with Allura would end, and he would naturally progress into a different sort of relationship with Pidge.

lol

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nine-gear crow posted:

like he really did want to make the universe an objectively better place.

He did. He just wanted to make the universe a better place that he ruled.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
lotor is the embodiment of "hire more woman guards"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Plus, I thought it would have been cool if the show had subverted expectations and given the black lion to someone else. Allura was basically leading the team by the end anyways, why not give it to her?

See, that's a missed opportunity I felt. Since I figured they'd off Shiro eventually, give Keith Blue (or keep Lance in the Blue and Keith in the red, whatever) from the start and when Shiro goes Allura gets the Black Lion and is also team leader. Might have made the story with Keith's alien ninja mom trickier, but eh.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

lotor is the embodiment of "hire more woman guards"

Literally and figuratively.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

nine-gear crow posted:

That was always the tension when watching it. He had that ever present undercurrent of villainy, but the way the show was written and the way AJL voiced him was just nuanced enough that it made you want to believe that he might be sincere about the poo poo he was saying and doing, like he really did want to make the universe an objectively better place. A lot of people fell hard for that and expected him to get the Zuko treatment largely because of the Avatar pedigree behind the show, and because on a show like that a guy who shows that kernel of actually being a decent person deep down usually gets a redemptive arc instead of ending up as a goocorpse.

Really gotta hand it to AJL, he blew that role out of the loving park. I can't imagine Lotor with any other voice now.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
The whole voice cast for this show is pretty fantastic

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm surprised so many of you read that tumblr post.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

He did. He just wanted to make the universe a better place that he ruled.

Lotor wanted to make the universe a better place, but Zarkon and Haggar's nightmare parenting skills hosed him up so badly that his idea of making the universe a better place involved sacrificing innocent people against their will and genociding the Galra. We even saw him trying to show Zarkon that there was a better way in that flashback to that planet he was in charge of and Zarkon's response was to just destroy the planet because Lotor dared to be nice to them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaunab posted:

I'm surprised so many of you read that tumblr post.

It was fascinating to see somebody so hooked into their ships they were demanding the equivalent of the Voltron Snyder cut.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

and of course the thing they're buttsore over is borderline pedophilia. How old is pidge compared to the rest?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

and of course the thing they're buttsore over is borderline pedophilia. How old is pidge compared to the rest?

15 apparently. Lance/Hunk are 17, Keith 18 (or 20 I guess) and Shiro's 25.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McTimmy posted:

Shiro's 25.

God drat being a prisoner of the Galra really ages someone.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

God drat being a prisoner of the Galra really ages someone.

Also dying and taking over your clone's body. Gets rid of your boneitis though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally finished the show. Man, that was a rough final season. Should've been eight episodes, ironically enough.

Could've done without the Clear Day thing. And on the broadest strokes: the huge scales should've been toned way the gently caress down, and the smaller scales should've gotten more time in that final battle. Cut Minerva going

and instead have her rampage on that Altea while windows to the multiverse show poo poo being torn.

Allura and Lance went way too fast, they should've kept them as starting the relationship.

There's a lot of little things that piled up, but there were great moments and concepts, too. Like a 6.5 or 7 for this final season.

Man, this show loves its original mechas. Zarkon's looked sick AF, Lotor's was also really cool and had a ton of build up, the Alteans' were sick vampires and Honerva gets a susanno'o wheel, that is made of blades and pierces reality, and also they can combine with the mech's tail to make a big loving drill.
Super Voltron has a sword. Lasers come out of its eyes and chest eyes.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2018

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

lol I will say that that last still brought out all the homophobes on the FB groups. It's like fish in a barrel.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is this supposed to be on Netflix? Just signed for the free month but can't find the show anywhere.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Avalerion posted:

Is this supposed to be on Netflix? Just signed for the free month but can't find the show anywhere.

Have you tried searching for it while in Netflix? I just Googled it and found it no problem: https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80075595 You should be able to log in and watch away from there (though I've linked the UK version).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea won't find it if I type it in. That link worked though there's no play button that I can see, just looks like this:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Free month has limited access to their original content. They do it intentionally to prevent people from pirating or just scamming the free months to binge stuff. Just get an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I signed up and everything & entered my payment details, though it says I won't be charged until the next month, do I need to validate it or just wait out the month?

Alternatively could it be a regional thing even though it's their own content?