Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The interactivity is genuinely cool and I thought the movie was well-assembled, but it doesn't stay with me in the same way as earlier Black Mirror episodes. Are there any morals or lessons the audience is meant to take from this except interactive movies are neato and not to sacrifice personal well-being for professional success?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

the video game company is netflix looking to promote their new tech
main character is brooker selling out and doing a script in a short timeframe on weed and lsd
not a v deep story but pretty cool and got an explanation for that creeper logo

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol @ Programmer Confesses as Dad Found in 8-Bits

also Jerome F. Davies is played by Jeff Minter (a real life crazy game developer)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I went through this for a bit until I ended up with one of the "final" endings where I can't go back. The one sort of like the Butterfly Effect alternate ending.

I am curious about one of the other choices but I didn't feel like watching this whole thing again. It was where he's asking for a sign, and I could choose P.A.C.S. or the symbol. This was like the third time I'd been through the scene, but this time it had P.A.C.S. instead of Netflix. I went with the symbol again, but does choosing the other option lead anywhere interesting?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think I noticed a continuity error though. (BIIIIIG SPOILERS) Will Poulter's character committing suicide is meant to wipe him from the game entirely, yeah? I found that was usually true, but I don't think they accommodated for every alternative.

Poulter dying ends up being a dream anyways, and he also thanks you for sparing him after you kill dad in one of the branches which is cool

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is Poulter dying from jumping from the balcony really a dream? I always interpreted it as him simply not doing the balcony thing at all after the first time since in the re-caps leading into the subsequent runs he recognizes Colin instantly in the office.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Lady Galaga posted:

Poulter dying ends up being a dream anyways, and he also thanks you for sparing him after you kill dad in one of the branches which is cool

there's an ending where he is missing and his gf is looking for him, you tell her he jumped off the balcony and she was there and saw it but she doesn't believe you

also

if you go to the drug taking branch first and make him jump first then he's missing almost throughout the entire set of subsequent branches, except for the one when you go back to take the "good" ending where you chop up dad. Just before the recap where you get there, you hear his "pac man dies all the time and it doesn't bother him" line again, and during the recap, in the scene where you first meet him he says "we already met and i did tell you i'd see you around"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The action scene

Holy poo poo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That was really fun, neat little concept that was made well. I don't think it needed some amazing social commentary

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm not saying I disliked it, just that it feels a little empty compared to other episodes in Black Mirror's catalogue.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The real choose your own adventure was finding a compatible device along the way.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JuHoZ posted:

I wonder if there is software that could nowadays unpack the source code sound screech.

yeah there is, ADTpro, but I don't think it'd be anything

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

I guess this is going to need a Netflix sub to watch!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Looks like Reddit is working on putting together a comprehensive flowchart. :spoilers: obviously: https://i.imgur.com/VbLzuzC.png

I definitely missed a few things but got almost all of the endings except for 1. I'm hoping there's some really neat easter eggs people uncover over the next few days.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Aww, he called me his "friend from the future"!
Now I´m kind of sorry I made him dismember the corpse earlier.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
That was incredible. Bringing the viewer into it was pure Brooker genius, and in fact the point. The story was fine, but it was in service of the interactivity and loving with the viewer, and man did that work.

The choose your own adventure concept has been around forever, I remember loving those books as a kid. It’s nice to see it used creatively, instead of FMV video games that got spat out in the late 90s.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Netflix freezes every time I choose Frosties but on a fourth attempt I chose Sugar Puffs and it continues fine. Is this intentional? :tinfoil:

So at the safe I typed in PAC and got a government surveillance conspiracy path. Is this a huge divergent choice? I'll be disappointed if PAX didn't go through a demon cult worship route.

If I could change one thing it would be to change the actors to incredibly obvious stunt doubles during The Fight Scene. The perfect ending to me. gently caress Yeah!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seen most divergrnces after several go-rounds, but at the computer, even after looping back, I only ever got Netflix, the symbol, and P.A.C.S. does anybody know what leads to PAX or what happens after?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Seen most divergrnces after several go-rounds, but at the computer, even after looping back, I only ever got Netflix, the symbol, and P.A.C.S. does anybody know what leads to PAX or what happens after?

PAX isn't at the computer, it's at the safe, and it's just a failure that loops back to the "give me a sign" choice, the same way JFC does. I'm not sure what specifically leads to it - I had it show up after taking "PAC" the first time and looping back around.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The action scene

Holy poo poo

I was expecting the action scene to be a sudden steamy makeout session but how it turned out was even better.

[gently caress YEAH]

The Cheshire Cat posted:

PAX isn't at the computer, it's at the safe, and it's just a failure that loops back to the "give me a sign" choice, the same way JFC does. I'm not sure what specifically leads to it - I had it show up after taking "PAC" the first time and looping back around.

I think any decision that causes a vision of the lion demon will make PAX the wrong option later when you get (back) to the safe.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It was neat up until the end, but my god is that ending completely phoned in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

I think any decision that causes a vision of the lion demon will make PAX the wrong option later when you get (back) to the safe.

Yeah this could be it. My first time hitting that segment I had both "TOY" and "PAC" as options so there WAS no "wrong" option, because I guess I'd seen both scenes that would add correct options on there. Once I'd consumed one of them, it replaced it with "PAX" since I'd already seen that branch

Fans posted:

It was neat up until the end, but my god is that ending completely phoned in.

Yeah it seems like an interesting concept but it doesn't really follow through on it. It just kind of stops when you've seen most of the branches. Funny enough it probably would have worked a lot better as an actual video game, where it didn't need to constrain itself to a 1-2 hour runtime.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Edit: Nevermind. Just know that I love what they've done with this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this could be it. My first time hitting that segment I had both "TOY" and "PAC" as options so there WAS no "wrong" option, because I guess I'd seen both scenes that would add correct options on there. Once I'd consumed one of them, it replaced it with "PAX" since I'd already seen that branch

Yeah it seems like an interesting concept but it doesn't really follow through on it. It just kind of stops when you've seen most of the branches. Funny enough it probably would have worked a lot better as an actual video game, where it didn't need to constrain itself to a 1-2 hour runtime.

Black Mirror's Bandersnatch is a great concept but the overall execution just feels rushed and it cuts off too soon. Just as you're getting into the story it all comes to an end! Overall this team production feels like it was designed by committee with all risks being stripped out in the design process. Zero out of five stars.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Did anyone else get the broom closet ending? That was my favorite.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what secrets people might dig up because I have a feeling there's more to it after the full ending.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was reminded of the Stanley Parable. I wonder if "get lamp" was a direct reference to the 2010 if doco.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked how the cereal choice is just there to show that Stefan can't even control the little decision himself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like this, this was fun.

[ gently caress YEAH ]

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm mad that theNetflix option didn't include a Bu-bong as rendered by a lovely soundcard.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I thought it was pretty good. It kept my interest all the way through. As a Black Mirror episode, I thought it was below average. The actual story seemed kind of shallow, and I felt like I was waiting for a twist that never came.

The Netflix branch was pretty disappointing to me. I was excited when I saw that option, and thought there was a lot of potential to do something interesting by having that kind of direct communication from the viewer to the main character. But then it just leads to a couple of joke endings. That part was good, but I really wanted them to actually explore the concept.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Was real impressed with Will Poulter's accent until I realized I'm a dummy and I've actually been really impressed with his american accents.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pr0p posted:

Was real impressed with Will Poulter's accent until I realized I'm a dummy and I've actually been really impressed with his american accents.

Christ, I just looked up how many things this guy's been in before that I've seen but didn't immediately recognize him from. He's the drat male Tatiana Maslany.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Will Poulter really nailed the 'rockstar' maverick game developer of the 80s. Though no matter how much acid you take you can never be cool nasally asking out 'hows bandersnatch going'. Best performance by far though I like the dad - 'im defrosting mince'

Also outside of the white rabbit, mention of rabbit holes, mirror scene and bandersnatch am I missing any more obvious references to Lewis Carroll?

I may need to rewatch but is there the possibility that Colin sends Stefan on this journey to stop him stealing the limelight with bandersnatch? In some endings he completes the game for Stefan, in others it never comes out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skeletome posted:

Also outside of the white rabbit, mention of rabbit holes, mirror scene and bandersnatch am I missing any more obvious references to Lewis Carroll?

Not sure if this is included in your first catch but, the rabbit does make Stefan late for a very important date. :v: Also if Stefan goes to the psychiatrist without talking to Colin and then takes the pills, they "don't do anything at all" -- you get an immediate ending with the game finished but perfectly unspectacular at 2.5 stars, nothing dramatic happens, welp

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skeletome posted:

Will Poulter really nailed the 'rockstar' maverick game developer of the 80s. Though no matter how much acid you take you can never be cool nasally asking out 'hows bandersnatch going'. Best performance by far though I like the dad - 'im defrosting mince'

I may need to rewatch but is there the possibility that Colin sends Stefan on this journey to stop him stealing the limelight with bandersnatch? In some endings he completes the game for Stefan, in others it never comes out.

I don't think that Colin is really that petty or malevolent. I think he's basically genuine about wanting the game to be great and he believes that pushing Stefan like that is the only way to make it happen. Like one key moment is that the first time they meet he hasn't read Bandersnatch but when you loop back around to that scene again (if you chose to accept the offer to work at the company), he HAS. Because he remembered Stefan mentioning it from the previous loop and chose to have read it already by that point the second time around. So he clearly saw potential there or else he wouldn't have bothered doing his homework.

It's kind of hard to read any sort of motivation from a guy that literally has access to multiple timelines though. Nothing he does is really a "decision" because he's just living out every possibility that could potentially exist.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

As someone who thought seasons 1 and 2 were largely excellent and 3 was not very good at all, should I watch this? Is it only good because of the gimmick or is the story/technology very much worthwhile?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There's no real "Oh gently caress...that's the message!" moment, but it's a neat gimmick.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Grem posted:

There's no real "Oh gently caress...that's the message!" moment, but it's a neat gimmick.

Eh see that kinda pushes me away from investing hours into it. I'm sure it's a cool gimmick but if it's not a really good twist/story/creative use of future technology then I think I'll pass. I haven't liked Black Mirror in a while, I think now it's trying too hard and is a bit of a parody of itself.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kinda disappointed in how it just eventually ends, with the way I went through it I definitely saw all the most interesting stuff early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Kinda disappointed in how it just eventually ends, with the way I went through it I definitely saw all the most interesting stuff early.

Yeah this was my experience too. I think the problem with this sort of structure is that there's not really much of a way they can ensure that you watch all the various branches in a narratively satisfying order. The ending I got that eventually made it kick me out was the "goes back in time and dies on the train" one, but it wasn't really a natural conclusion to the stuff that had come prior to that. I guess the thing is that you can stop at any point when you feel like you've gotten a "proper" ending but the fact that it keeps giving you the option to go back means you're unlikely to actually do that.