Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so do teslas require an independent data SIM contract to actually make the car work normally

You're required to send a gallon of your own blood to Elon Musk to bind your soul and keep him eternally youthful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Hey anyone who's owned a bolt ev, are there any issues with it I should be aware of? I know some people have mentioned the interior is sort of cheap feeling, and seen some people knocking them but I haven't really heard of specific issues. I'm probably going to save up for one next year (or get a used volt, I'm really not 100% sure but would love to go full electric). I think I'm going to stop by our local gm dealership this weekend and see if they'll let me test drive a volt and a bolt ev.

My normal commute is about 40 miles so even though I don't currently have the option of home charging (just level 1 at work), that should get me through to being able to use a public DC charger on the weekends. My family lives about 170 mi away so having that extra range on an ev sounds real sweet, otherwise I'd look for an i3 or something.

I own one but I don't drive a ton. The interior is fine. Apparently the seats use to suck more, but they still suck. (not fat, but they are a smidge not wide enough) The cameras are uh functional but not great. It comes in shock this model year which is the best color.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so do teslas require an independent data SIM contract to actually make the car work normally

It's covered by Tesla, at least right now. At some point they'll likely start charging for service.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

the poi posted:

It's covered by Tesla, at least right now. At some point they'll likely start charging for service.

Sort of, they changed this summer. Every Tesla comes with free "standard" tier mobile data, this give you limited maps / nav (no real time traffic) no streaming music (you can, of course use your phone over bluetooth, which is better then the US slacker app anyhow) and no firmware updates unless on a wifi connection (exception made for safety updates) and no internet browser.

If you want those enhanced features you pay $100 per year for the higher tier of mobile data. I think yo get one year free with the premium interior option. If you bought before the change (June 2018 I think) you are grandfathered into free premium data for the life of the car (IDK if you sell the car if it transfers?)

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

No one is asking you not to charge your volt, but please don't leave it at the charger for 6 hours after it is full. I realize you would have to have empathy for other humans for you to consider this, that is why I poop.

angryrobots posted:

Was your previous car a BMW or Porsche?

Warrior Princess posted:

Pack a harbor freight predator and an EVSE in your trunk then. I'm not burning gas when there's an L2 charger available on the off chance someone else wants to use it.

EV friends, this is what we are up against, let us all charge together in harmony.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

#RollingCoal

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Key worthy

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

#RollingCoal

Gotta wonder what assholes like that think of electric trucks.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

spandexcajun posted:

EV friends, this is what we are up against, let us all charge together in harmony.

Pretty much. Certain people get upset that I dare occupy a public L2 just because I’m limited to 3.6kW and have a built in gas engine. If it’s there, I’m using it. At no point did I say I park in them with a full battery to be a dick, but I did allude to if you bought a short range EV that will leave you stranded with poor planning, stick a generator in the trunk. Relying on random public L2 chargers always being available is poor planning.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I saw a comment recently that VW's ID isn't coming to the U.S. - that can't be right, can it? I did a little digging and I actually can't find any definitive answer though, except for expected sales splits (e.g. 20% in the US) for some unspecified timeframe.

Perhaps it's just that its not coming in 2019 or 2020?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Warrior Princess posted:

Pretty much. Certain people get upset that I dare occupy a public L2 just because I’m limited to 3.6kW and have a built in gas engine. If it’s there, I’m using it. At no point did I say I park in them with a full battery to be a dick, but I did allude to if you bought a short range EV that will leave you stranded with poor planning, stick a generator in the trunk. Relying on random public L2 chargers always being available is poor planning.

If the charging infrastructure is very prolific where you're doing this, I guess that fine. But in most places it isn't, and I can't help but feel like occupying that space with what is still an ICE vehicle, as greedy.

Full-BEV ownership for most people is still risky, and I appreciate those who jumped in feet first to pave the way for everyone else. "They should have planned better" is massively :rolleyes: from someone who wasn't willing to take that risk themselves, IMO. Obviously we disagree and I won't derail this further. (Feel free to reply, I'm not saying that just to have the last word in it)

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

angryrobots posted:

If the charging infrastructure is very prolific where you're doing this, I guess that fine. But in most places it isn't, and I can't help but feel like occupying that space with what is still an ICE vehicle, as greedy.

Full-BEV ownership for most people is still risky, and I appreciate those who jumped in feet first to pave the way for everyone else. "They should have planned better" is massively :rolleyes: from someone who wasn't willing to take that risk themselves, IMO. Obviously we disagree and I won't derail this further. (Feel free to reply, I'm not saying that just to have the last word in it)

Why would I take a risk by buying a vehicle incompatible with my lifestyle? Seriously, if you buy a BEV and constantly find yourself at the absolute limits of what it’s capable of to the point of being stranded when your favorite L2 charger has literally any other car at it, that’s on you. If you have to tow a 30 foot boat, don’t buy a Camry. If you need to drive 80 miles a day, don’t buy a BEV with a 90 mile range. Who the gently caress cares what *EV is at the charger, if they’re charging they have as much right to it as anyone else, regardless of the mechanics of their car.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

All evs are pure and good.

Warrior Princess posted:

If you're not in a rush, I'd maybe wait for a shot at a Hyundai Kona EV instead. From what I've seen of online reviewers doing side-by-sides of the Kona EV vs the Bolt EV, the Kona is better in nearly every metric. Also, the Kona EV will have adaptive cruise as an option, the Bolt EV does not.

I did some research into this and dang, it's a really nice car and practically a straight improvement on the Bolt's working formula. Since I'm probably going to ride my ice car until it dies the death (it's a 98 so maybe not long) I might just bide my time for one of these. And buying new might be an option since Hyundai isn't losing their tax credit any time soon (worst case, I get a used bolt).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spandexcajun posted:

Westy543 posted:

#RollingCoal

I really, really don't understand this mindset.
I mean, in the first picture, they're pretty obviously douchebags, but I still don't get how that transfers to "gently caress over EV drivers" specifically. Kind of like the picture floating around the net of the lifted diesel 4x4 with "Prius Killer" (or maybe it was "Prius Repellant") on the side. 'Course anyone that rolls coal is a moron, given.

edit: I should note, possibly, that I don't own an *EV, but I have nothing against them (other than I can't afford one...) I also don't own a giant diesel pickup, though I do own an early '70s musclecar, and a passel of rotaries (which, by the way, I would love to electrify one of.)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I saw a comment recently that VW's ID isn't coming to the U.S. - that can't be right, can it? I did a little digging and I actually can't find any definitive answer though, except for expected sales splits (e.g. 20% in the US) for some unspecified timeframe.

Perhaps it's just that its not coming in 2019 or 2020?

I haven’t heard anything of the sort and VW told me it was still on track for 2020 a few weeks ago.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I mean, in the first picture, they're pretty obviously douchebags, but I still don't get how that transfers to "gently caress over EV drivers" specifically. Kind of like the picture floating around the net of the lifted diesel 4x4 with "Prius Killer" (or maybe it was "Prius Repellant") on the side. 'Course anyone that rolls coal is a moron, given.

edit: I should note, possibly, that I don't own an *EV, but I have nothing against them (other than I can't afford one...) I also don't own a giant diesel pickup, though I do own an early '70s musclecar, and a passel of rotaries (which, by the way, I would love to electrify one of.)

Having read your project thread, I would love to see you electrify an old rotary :sun:

Seems I'm going on a 1100 mile roadtrip home in a new model S 75D in a few days, will know more tomorrow. The end of quarter deals makes buying a used one stupid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

angryrobots posted:

It’s interesting watching local discussion about charging etiquette - you get people in newer Leafs complaining that Konas shouldn't be using chargers and people in older Leafs complaining that those greedy bastards with newer Leafs shouldn't be either because they need it more (woe is me, my 2011 only gets 70km now)

Pretty much everyone hates Tesla X drivers though, in addition to being ugly they're so so huge they don't fit properly into EV parks most of the time.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

I mean, in the first picture, they're pretty obviously douchebags, but I still don't get how that transfers to "gently caress over EV drivers" specifically.

Ah, in case it is not clear they are blocking Tesla supercharging spots specifically so people can not charge. They are doing the same thing as in the second pic, intentionally blocking EVs from being able to charge.

Unfortunately I do understand this mindset, some people are misinformed or worse, willfully ignorant and will lash out violently when their (often incorrect or at least very incomplete) world view is challenged.

This example is rural, "Conservative", redneck culture clashing with the fact that EVs are inevitable and fossil fuel is on the way out. Meaning on some level so is the way of life they have been living for generations (or at least that is a reasonable interpenetration, sort of) and so they feel personally threatened. I don't think this is correct but it's understandable. I have no idea what to do about this, spreading information is the usual prescription but it's pretty hard to be a level headed EV advocate if you run into these jackasses when you just want to fill up your car.

I do think anyone who likes things that go vroom on any level would change their toon about EVs if they mash the go pedal in a Model S / X / 3, it really is fun. So, let all your redneck gear-head friends and family drive the EV around I guess :)

To be fair it's not a conservative issue, it happens on all sides. The Luddites did the same hundreds of years ago.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I haven’t heard anything of the sort and VW told me it was still on track for 2020 a few weeks ago.

Cool, thanks. Good to have it direct from them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

The Luddites did the same hundreds of years ago.

But they were actually being put out of work. Truck bros are just assholes that need someone to harass during daylight hours before they go tiki torch marching or cross burning.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wibla posted:

Having read your project thread, I would love to see you electrify an old rotary :sun:

Thanks! Right now, cost is the problem. A decent motor and controller are surprisingly expensive, then there's the batteries. One day, though.
I don't know if you're aware of Rick Wilde of Wilde EVolutions - he's got a '79 RX-7 EV set up for drag racing that was amazingly fast. That's my inspiration.

spandexcajun posted:

Ah, in case it is not clear they are blocking Tesla supercharging spots specifically so people can not charge. They are doing the same thing as in the second pic, intentionally blocking EVs from being able to charge.

Unfortunately I do understand this mindset, some people are misinformed or worse, willfully ignorant and will lash out violently when their (often incorrect or at least very incomplete) world view is challenged.

This example is rural, "Conservative", redneck culture clashing with the fact that EVs are inevitable and fossil fuel is on the way out. Meaning on some level so is the way of life they have been living for generations (or at least that is a reasonable interpenetration, sort of) and so they feel personally threatened. I don't think this is correct but it's understandable. I have no idea what to do about this, spreading information is the usual prescription but it's pretty hard to be a level headed EV advocate if you run into these jackasses when you just want to fill up your car.

I do think anyone who likes things that go vroom on any level would change their toon about EVs if they mash the go pedal in a Model S / X / 3, it really is fun. So, let all your redneck gear-head friends and family drive the EV around I guess :)

To be fair it's not a conservative issue, it happens on all sides. The Luddites did the same hundreds of years ago.

Oh, I got what they were doing, I just don't understand the hate, or why they seem to think it somehow threatens them or diminishes them in any way, much like I don't understand the hate for gays, etc. I believe that you're right that its clearly an irrational response to change.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Back when I was in school and Priuses were a New Thing, a guy I knew who had a beefy truck used to drive just slowly enough up a hill to go nowhere and burn off his fuel tank. He was living at home so the gas cost was minimal and he claimed he needed to balance out the Priuses and gently caress the environment.

I dunno, there's really nothing I can rationally answer that with and I imagine it's a similar mindset.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
The craziest part is that I am the one that's #rollingcoal in that my car is powered by a grid that has many coal power plants! Never mind that I pay for %100 windsource offset for my house, the electrons are being pushed by coal fired turbines at some point.

These assholes are funding the next terrorist attacks, it's all topsy turvy I tell ya!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Truck bros blocking EV spots is not hard to explain. It's right in line with the general trend of politics-as-team-sports infiltrating every aspect of our lives. EVs are a symbol of those smug liberals ruining are cuntry thinkin they're better than Real Americans.

It's no more complex than just "trigger'd the libs lol"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

a guy I knew who had a beefy truck used to drive just slowly enough up a hill to go nowhere and burn off his fuel tank.

Isn't that super bad for the engine?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also the wallet

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Gee, it’s almost as if they’re just gigantic performative cumbags with no redeeming values at all.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
EVs are largely the result of government regulation and incentives, if you see people happily driving cars that are the result of a shitload of government regulation and over-aching environmental policy it's not that big of a leap to feel like if these things take off that "they" are going to come for your stupid loving retarded environmental disasters and public nuisances tout suite.

I'm going to throw this in with a strange EV experience today, I went to have my car inspected at a giant oil change place (My partner uses them and they are right down the street from our house, it's a state regulated inspection so it didn't matter where I took it), they passed it without even actually doing a safety check, waved the fee and genuinely thanked me for coming in. :shrug:

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I'm strongly debating to sell my 2014 Ford Taurus SHO to get a Model 3 (long range AWD with autopilot). After selling my car and the tax credit, I'm looking at approximately $32k. I can charge for free at work as they have a handful of charging stations in the parking lot. Using this as my primary charging source, I would save approximately $1500 per year in gas.

My commute to and from work is under 8 miles round-trip, entirely stoplights/side roads. The vast majority of my driving is <3 miles due to where I live and proximity to everything I need. You'd think this would mean I would spend less on gas, but in reality I spend a lot more than the miles I drive. My car shows it averages 15 mpg, and I believe it to be worse due to remote starting it in both the summer and winter (the engine is on but the electronics within are not so I can't imagine it's calculating mpg during remote start sessions). I mention this because I hate short trips on my car and all the gas it wastes.

I've driven two Model 3's and I have enjoyed the experiences. I haven't gotten to play around with the display too much because each time was only a 20 minute drive or so. Knowing that the finances don't make perfect sense, I'm looking for additional insights as to whether to buy the Model 3 it or nix it. I can afford the $32k but I would effectively be spending it unnecessarily. I enjoy my current car quite a bit and it's in great shape with very low miles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just to be probably-unnecessarily pedantic, at $32k for an annual $1500 in gas savings, you're looking at 21 years to break even on the purchase price of the car. It'll be less than that since the electric needs less routine maintenance, but still over a decade.

If you like your current car, IMO the economically and environmentally best decision is to keep your current car. You save your money and you save all the CO2 that goes into building the replacement car. Plus for electrics specifically the market is changing pretty dang fast so waiting a few years may get you a substantially better/cheaper product.

I absolutely get the "man I hardly ever go long distances, my MPG is poo poo, an electric car makes perfect sense" argument. And if it bugs you that much that you're wasting gas, then that ties into how much you actually like the car. Whether the subjective distaste is sufficient to account for a $32k pricetag is something only you can decide. Of course, there are also cheaper options -- a used Leaf sounds like it would cover your driving pretty handily.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

johnny sack posted:

Using this as my primary charging source, I would save approximately $1500 per year in gas.

My commute to and from work is under 8 miles round-trip, entirely stoplights/side roads. The vast majority of my driving is <3 miles due to where I live and proximity to everything I need. You'd think this would mean I would spend less on gas, but in reality I spend a lot more than the miles I drive. My car shows it averages 15 mpg, and I believe it to be worse due to remote starting it in both the summer and winter (the engine is on but the electronics within are not so I can't imagine it's calculating mpg during remote start sessions). I mention this because I hate short trips on my car and all the gas it wastes.

how much gas would you save if you got a cheap bicycle and stopped priming the cabin temperature for 3-mile drives

but if you just want the shiny muskmobile, go hog wild i guess :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

johnny sack posted:

I'm strongly debating to sell my 2014 Ford Taurus SHO to get a Model 3 (long range AWD with autopilot). After selling my car and the tax credit, I'm looking at approximately $32k. I can charge for free at work as they have a handful of charging stations in the parking lot. Using this as my primary charging source, I would save approximately $1500 per year in gas.

I've driven two Model 3's and I have enjoyed the experiences. I haven't gotten to play around with the display too much because each time was only a 20 minute drive or so. Knowing that the finances don't make perfect sense, I'm looking for additional insights as to whether to buy the Model 3 it or nix it. I can afford the $32k but I would effectively be spending it unnecessarily. I enjoy my current car quite a bit and it's in great shape with very low miles.
Is a mid range an option?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'd recommend keeping your car and getting a cheap used short range EV. It'll be cheaper, cover your use case, and if you don't like it it'll be easy to go "back to normal". If you really like it then you can benefit from the years worth of tech advances and your own newly formed opinions on which features really matter to you and how much range is enough. 80 miles used to mean "oh crap gotta stop for gas" to me. Now it's a lot.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

These are good responses and I appreciate them.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how much gas would you save if you got a cheap bicycle and stopped priming the cabin temperature for 3-mile drives

but if you just want the shiny muskmobile, go hog wild i guess :shrug:

I bike to work most days in the spring/summer/fall. Not gonna do that in the winter because it would be dark in the morning and 1.5 miles of it has no sidewalks or bike lanes. Also gently caress biking in the winter.

Just to be probably-unnecessarily pedantic, at $32k for an annual $1500 in gas savings, you're looking at 21 years to break even on the purchase price of the car. It'll be less than that since the electric needs less routine maintenance, but still over a decade.

If you like your current car, IMO the economically and environmentally best decision is to keep your current car. You save your money and you save all the CO2 that goes into building the replacement car. Plus for electrics specifically the market is changing pretty dang fast so waiting a few years may get you a substantially better/cheaper product.

I absolutely get the "man I hardly ever go long distances, my MPG is poo poo, an electric car makes perfect sense" argument. And if it bugs you that much that you're wasting gas, then that ties into how much you actually like the car. Whether the subjective distaste is sufficient to account for a $32k pricetag is something only you can decide. Of course, there are also cheaper options -- a used Leaf sounds like it would cover your driving pretty handily.

I'm right there with you. I haven't bought it yet because I haven't seen a compelling enough argument to (yet). I suppose the only reason I'm suddenly considering this is the tax credit ending (lessening) in 2 days along with Tesla announcing they released additional cars for sale. I know that the next car I buy will be electric, but my current car will likely last me a decade or more. So, the fear of missing out on the $7500 tax credit is driving a big part of it.

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd recommend keeping your car and getting a cheap used short range EV. It'll be cheaper, cover your use case, and if you don't like it it'll be easy to go "back to normal". If you really like it then you can benefit from the years worth of tech advances and your own newly formed opinions on which features really matter to you and how much range is enough. 80 miles used to mean "oh crap gotta stop for gas" to me. Now it's a lot.

I like this idea (and the one above!). This makes a good amount of sense.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You have to spend some money to get that tax credit, though.

I have a 30 mile round trip commute, and I can barely make TMS work out as cheaper than my current mazda3.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sometimes it's fun just to get something new though.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The engineering explained dude did a carbon impact of ev vs ice video that is interesting (cost ignored) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

That was interesting as heck of a listen and I'm glad he sources his statements in studies and epa published data. I was wondering recently if there was a specific point where an ev offsets its production footprint. There definitely is and it was a lot sooner than I imagined.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Westy543 posted:

That was interesting as heck of a listen and I'm glad he sources his statements in studies and epa published data. I was wondering recently if there was a specific point where an ev offsets its production footprint. There definitely is and it was a lot sooner than I imagined.

I love that video as well, though it does point out that Georgia loving sucks as an electrical supplier because we have a shitload of sun and other renewables opportunities, yet we hold on to coal because of our backwards idiots supporting backwards industries.

As for the trucks blocking EV spots above, it’s pretty hilarious to see those Luddite winners reject electric motors because their trucks would be about 300 times more enjoyable as EVs. The torque would make them infinitely more usable and drivable.

Modern trucks are loving hot garbage when it comes to throttle control as they’re programmed to open the throttle like crazy in the first two degrees of pedal movement to make you feel “Ford Tough/Like a Rock/Goddamn my dick is huge”, and then it’s all numb as useless after that to promote fuel economy. It’s like a loving Power Wheels throttle in a full-size vehicle, making it an utter pain to drive in traffic or carefully through a job site.

Whoever makes the first fully-electric semi-truck that rips and tears the toughest diesel truck in half is going to have every big-dick-rider bro-truck lover slapping their logo on the side of their brodozers as they talk about getting a real ‘lectrik motor in their truck soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Whoever makes the first fully-electric semi-truck that rips and tears the toughest diesel truck in half is going to have every big-dick-rider bro-truck lover slapping their logo on the side of their brodozers as they talk about getting a real ‘lectrik motor in their truck soon.
Trouble is, truck choice will operate according to the same misplaced masculinity regardless of whether the electric truck (let’s be real, it’ll be the Tesla) creams every ICE truck on the market at the jobsite. Driving one will make you some kind of vegan liberal pussy even if it obliterates a Raptor in a sprint, has twice the towing capacity, and loving prints money.