Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

There are times here we make deliberately lovely offers because a new habeas claim du jour is “my lawyer never told me about plea deals” so to cut that off, we make a lovely offer. Have him reject it on the record. Canvass him about his satisfaction with his attorney/understanding of the offer etc. and then go to trial.

Last time we did that the offer was 50. He got 75.

idgi, wouldn't he still have a claim for "i didn't hear about the non-lovely offers"?

or is the claim that the lawyer didn't tell him about the existence of plea deals, as a thing he could seek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

the claim that the lawyer didn't tell him about the existence of plea deals

Missouri v. Frye, 566 U.S. 134 (2012)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

idgi, wouldn't he still have a claim for "i didn't hear about the non-lovely offers"?

or is the claim that the lawyer didn't tell him about the existence of plea deals, as a thing he could seek

Honestly, the entire plea deal thing is still super weird to me.

Merry Christmas all you poor souls of the law thread, woe be to you absolute animals that are billing hours during the holidays and I love you all.

In a few hours I'll be enjoying Ribbe and a lovely white Christmas before I engage in singlehanded combat with a Four Roses bourbon of excellent quality.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

There are times here we make deliberately lovely offers because a new habeas claim du jour is “my lawyer never told me about plea deals” so to cut that off, we make a lovely offer. Have him reject it on the record. Canvass him about his satisfaction with his attorney/understanding of the offer etc. and then go to trial.

what the gently caress are the defense attorneys in your jurisdiction doing? the instant I have a plea offer I memorialize that poo poo in writing to my client in preparation for his inevitable 2255.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

All I can think of on this vacation is busywork back home. Truly, I have arrived. :smug:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Oh they do that too. And the state writes the offer in the file. But a transcript of an on the record rejection is harder to call a fraud or a conspiracy between the state and your lying dirtbag PD*

*our PDs are neither liars nor dirtbags. They just get called that all the time by habeas firm associates who have been practicing law for 5 min

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Soothing Vapors posted:

what the gently caress are the defense attorneys in your jurisdiction doing? the instant I have a plea offer I memorialize that poo poo in writing to my client in preparation for his inevitable 2255.

They're probably pre-2012 cases before the plea colloquy was put on record.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

After Frye and Lafler, we don't start a criminal trial until the prosecution has put its final offer on the record and the defendant has rejected it and indicated a desire to go to trial. That's part of the whole reason we have a plea cut-off date.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas you fucks

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Alaemon posted:

After Frye and Lafler, we don't start a criminal trial until the prosecution has put its final offer on the record and the defendant has rejected it and indicated a desire to go to trial. That's part of the whole reason we have a plea cut-off date.

Is your judge also deciding the sentence if he’s found guilty? Because if so letting the judge know the offer is BS

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

So who is billing today?

Edit: no russians.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If you’re not sending work emails from your phone today, time to git gud.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

GamingHyena posted:

Is your judge also deciding the sentence if he’s found guilty? Because if so letting the judge know the offer is BS

Yeah. I don''t know of any courtroom in my state where the judge wouldn't be exposed to the offer. (I cannot claim to have done a comprehensive survey, though.)

Of course, my state also allows judges to enter into sentencing agreements with defendants without prosecutor approval (or even involvement), so make what you will of Topsy-Turvey Land.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

GamingHyena posted:

No. It’s done by the pretrial judge.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

No. It’s done by the pretrial judge.

I think our largest county (~60 circuit judges) has felony cases broken up that way. I'm not sure if any other courts have pretrial judges or anything of the sort.

In our county, you have your preliminary exam (probable cause finding) with a district judge. Once that's done, the district judge (by assignment) sits as a circuit judge and performs your arraignment. If you plead at that phase, it's also in front of the district judge sitting as a circuit judge.

Other than that, everything else in your felony case is in front of my judge. Judicial involvement in plea discussions is (nominally) limited to two scenarios:

Killebrew: sentencing agreement with the prosecutor. Judge can follow the agreement or not. If not, judge must state what the sentence would be without the agreement. Defendant then has the choice to affirm the plea or withdraw it. (There are also non-binding sentence recommendations, but their worth is really contained in the phrase "non-binding.")

Cobbs: sentencing agreement between judge and defendant. Judge retains the discretion not to honor the agreement, but cannot say what the sentence would be in absence of the agreement. Defendant can affirm the plea or withdraw. Judge also retains the discretion to yell at the research attorney and say "why did you let me do that?" as thought the research attorney "lets" the judge do anything.

Again, that's the theoretical limit on judicial involvement in the bargaining process. I suspect the majority of judges are more involved in the haggling side of things than that. I find it all mildly unsavory -- either you have a deal or you don't; negotiate on your own time, not in the judge's office -- but no one elected or appointed me to the bench. So my hot take on the plea process doesn't amount to much.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
lol I got a $159 settlement check in the Bar/Bri litigation.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

So who is billing today?

Edit: no russians.

I've been in-house for a month, I don't bill, even though I did, obviously, work during the Western Christmas
Instead I re-write contracts written in horrible Runglish (so horrible sometimes that I can't loving decipher them) into something resembling proper (and also plain) English while researching English contract law as I go along (because applicable law to all of these contracts is English law and no one knows why, or anything about English law)

E: I also fix arbitration clauses, because "Arbitration Court of Stockholm" isn't a thing that exists and also if you're in Russia, you need to spell out the difference between seat and physical place of hearings for your arbitrations because both translate into the same word in Russian and sometimes judges confuse the two

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 27, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

I thought I got mine a couple years back, did I not?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I swear I will one day kill someone who uses a word like "hereinbefore" or "whereof" without knowing what it means and how to use it correctly

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wherefore are you such a vocabulary nazi?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Alexeythegreat posted:

applicable law to all of these contracts is English law and no one knows why, or anything about English law)

English law is just the standard for international cross border contracts, like either New York or Delaware is for cross state contracts in the US.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

English law is just the standard for international cross border contracts, like either New York or Delaware is for cross state contracts in the US.

Delawhereof henceforth posthaste

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I know, but the original drafters (none of whom work there anymore, lol) didn't, which shows in the contracts (I can't say why for NDA reasons). There are also some contracts with Swedish law (it's used, alongside Swiss law, as a somewhat less common middle ground law in Europe sometimes)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got $275 or so.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I got to move offices. I have a window now.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Welcome to godhood.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I gain an additional window roughly every 1.4 years. I started out with one window. Now I have five. This is not to brag or to one up Reeses. It is merely to observe that each additional window seems to strengthen to call of the void dramatically. Exponentially. The windows are at my back. The void is howling. I try not to look behind me because it is overpowering. Eyes forward. Only on my monitor. Never on my windows. Five beautiful windows. Five sacred portals to freedom. Happy holidays all

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

I gain an additional window roughly every 1.4 years. I started out with one window. Now I have five. This is not to brag or to one up Reeses. It is merely to observe that each additional window seems to strengthen to call of the void dramatically. Exponentially. The windows are at my back. The void is howling. I try not to look behind me because it is overpowering. Eyes forward. Only on my monitor. Never on my windows. Five beautiful windows. Five sacred portals to freedom. Happy holidays all

if you have five windows without a corner office your windows are tiny and crap

I have merely two windows but they take up my entire back wall. one of my mid level associates has three windows. That’s because a diagional support beam bisects one of his. the support beam symbolizes his inferiority, it is not a reward

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
If you don't have at least 2 square meters of windows in your office then you are not peer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

If you don't have at least 2 square meters of windows in your office then you are not peer.

Lol

evilweasel posted:

if you have five windows without a corner office your windows are tiny and crap

I have merely two windows but they take up my entire back wall. one of my mid level associates has three windows. That’s because a diagional support beam bisects one of his. the support beam symbolizes his inferiority, it is not a reward

The only office with more windows is indeed a corner, with ten. I tremble before its glistening magnificence.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

How would you escape the void in a corner office?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Pick a window, any window.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Seasonal windows:
https://store.steampowered.com/promotion/cottage_2018/

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

I have a purely decorative (and inaccessible) balcony outside my office. It is used by pigeons for cloaca-related purposes.

Many years before I arrived, someone lined the balustrade with spikes to deter the pigeons. Spoiler alert: they fly over the spikes. #GovernmentLife

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
At a christmas party. Alcohol is diminishing. Send help.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nice piece of fish posted:

At a christmas party. Alcohol is diminishing. Send help.

Start bragging about how your something awful dot com account is about to be 10 years old. You'll get asked to leave, then the Uber can swing by the liquor store on the way home!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BigHead posted:

Start bragging about how your something awful dot com account is about to be 10 years old. You'll get asked to leave, then the Uber can swing by the liquor store on the way home!

Told them I was a lawyer and was promptly evicted. Now I'm lost in the arctic wilderness with an empty bottle of bourbon and people wont stop playing IRA songs and I don't understand how Irish nationalism is a thing in the norwegian countryside

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I have 3 windows in a corner office...

that I share and is in the basement of a 110 year old courthouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Told them I was a lawyer and was promptly evicted. Now I'm lost in the arctic wilderness with an empty bottle of bourbon and people wont stop playing IRA songs and I don't understand how Irish nationalism is a thing in the norwegian countryside

Come out ye black and tans! Come out and fight me like a man! Show yer wife how you won medals down in Flanders