Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pakled posted:

Nintendo naming their new console the "Wii U" was such a dumb idea. I know hindsight is 20/20 but how many people had to look at that name and say "okay" for it to happen

It is a dumb name but it's not like people got confused that the Xbox 360 was a different product than the Xbox, so I imagine that was the logic. "Wii is the best selling console we've ever had. We should keep that brand. Wii 2 sounds dumb so let's call it Wii Something Else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally started up Warframe after downloading it when it launched and... It's good? Confusing as all gently caress, but I read the RPS and Polygon intro articles about it and that helped.

Squadding up with randoms is never something I'm comfortable with in a game, especially if it's a game that I'm brand new to because I'm always super self conscious and worried I'm gonna drag the team down with my mediocre gaming skills.

But either Warframe is pairing me up with bots (a la Paladins) or the randoms I'm getting paired with are worse at videogames than I am, because I keep being the only one who actually stays on task and kills enemies, everyone else kind of runs around sometimes shooting.

It's also been wicked easy so far, but I'm guessing that's part of the F2P thing--if the the difficulty starts off even slightly hard you risk driving away potential customers before they get hooked.

It also looks surprisingly good for a Switch game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

I love the switch but outside of ports and Zelda and odyssey there really isn’t anything amazing / new on the system yet. But that might be a Nintendo problem and not a switch problem since Nintendo doesn’t really make new ips and new games anymore that aren’t on 3ds

Splatoon?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wasn't that the guy banned from the thread for an epic meltdown

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The name wasn't the problem as much as it was that they really did a poor job of explaining what it was when they revealed it.

Nintendo Switch got it right though. One of the primary selling points is right there in the name and the actual reveal for it was extremely clear that it was a new console, and what it was capable of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wasn't that the guy banned from the thread for an epic meltdown

One of

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah but compare that to all the cool new stuff they made for 3ds. I can’t think of another new IP on Wii U or Seitch

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

asecondduck posted:

Finally started up Warframe after downloading it when it launched and... It's good? Confusing as all gently caress, but I read the RPS and Polygon intro articles about it and that helped.

Squadding up with randoms is never something I'm comfortable with in a game, especially if it's a game that I'm brand new to because I'm always super self conscious and worried I'm gonna drag the team down with my mediocre gaming skills.

But either Warframe is pairing me up with bots (a la Paladins) or the randoms I'm getting paired with are worse at videogames than I am, because I keep being the only one who actually stays on task and kills enemies, everyone else kind of runs around sometimes shooting.

It's also been wicked easy so far, but I'm guessing that's part of the F2P thing--if the the difficulty starts off even slightly hard you risk driving away potential customers before they get hooked.

It also looks surprisingly good for a Switch game.

Join the goon guild. Here’s the discord to ask for an invite https://discord.gg/AA2FKq

Lots of newbies and vets and people help each out a lot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah but compare that to all the cool new stuff they made for 3ds. I can’t think of another new IP on Wii U or Seitch

ARMS.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I forgot about Arms and I guess also 1 2 Seitch...maybe I’m wrong.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

hosed up to forget Tokyo Mirage Sessions imo

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
ARMS is good.

1 2 Switch, not so much.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Cheeto posted:

hosed up to forget Tokyo Mirage Sessions imo

Not really new imho

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Not really new imho

How dare you

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

...maybe I’m wrong.

Jesus, finally

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Imagined posted:

It is a dumb name but it's not like people got confused that the Xbox 360 was a different product than the Xbox, so I imagine that was the logic. "Wii is the best selling console we've ever had. We should keep that brand. Wii 2 sounds dumb so let's call it Wii Something Else."

I agree that the name was fine. Xbox to Xbox 360 didn't confuse anyone, and going from Nintendo Entertainment System to Super Nintendo Entertainment System only confused grandparents. It was completely in how it was marketed. Everything made it look like another Wii Thingy to buy for your Wii, like Wii Fit and Wii MotionPlus.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of bad how the hell do you beat this tilt puzzle in Zelda....infuriating.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember that devs really did try with the Wii U, especially Ubisoft. Rayman Legends was originally an exclusive (albeit timed) and Zombi U was a new IP and iirc launch title.

Besides the name confusion, though, I think another major failure was how Nintendo bribed a bunch of devs to port their "latest" games to it. The Wii had a bunch of really good exclusive games from both Nintendo and third parties, and that's a big part of why people loved it.

So then Nintendo launches their new console that people don't realize is new and instead of those neat, unique games that people got the Wii for, all the launch titles were the same poo poo that had been out for PS3/360/PC for ages. Nintendo's own launch titles certainly weren't system sellers either (though Game & Wario and Nintendoland were solid party games).

...hell, even I didn't buy a Wii U at launch because what the gently caress was the point?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Speaking of bad how the hell do you beat this tilt puzzle in Zelda....infuriating.

Flip it upside down

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wonderful 101

Captain toad is a spinoff. But pretty much new ip

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
3DS has been out for years though hasn't it? And most of its big sellers were established IPs getting a new lease on life. IIRC, Animal Crossing New Leaf and Fire Emblem Awakening were huge sellers compared to their predecessors. (I actually picked up New Leaf again because of Smash. I wonder how long it'll hold my interest or til AC Switch comes out)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nobody makes new IPs, also stop caring about Empress Brosephine's posts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I literally don't know a single person who owns a WiiU. I've never seen one in anyone's house. Even the guy I know who ONLY plays Nintendo and PC didn't get one. That's how bad it was.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bombadilillo posted:

Captain toad is a spinoff. But pretty much new ip

I was playing the demo with my son and holy poo poo that game is charming as hell.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My mom loves Captain Toad

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ZombiU was not a new IP, but a remake of Ubisofts first game, Zombi.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I literally don't know a single person who owns a WiiU. I've never seen one in anyone's house. Even the guy I know who ONLY plays Nintendo and PC didn't get one. That's how bad it was.
Actually the WiiU owned, it just had gently caress all games. What games it had were largely really good though. It was just marketed poorly. Also I do think that the Switch is a more realised version of what Nintendo really wanted with it.

I've been playing my WiiU a lot lately, although tbf I'm actually playing a Wii game on it (Xenoblade Chronicles).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The load times on Wii U were abysmal, playing through a MK8 cup always felt like it took ages

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The WiiU was a very poorly concieved system released at a bad time to poor marketing. It also got a couple real good games, some of which have now escaped their WiiU prison and are on the Switch.

Thats about all the enthusiasm I can muster for the system and I owned one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It had too much poo poo to hook up too, makes the PSVR seem like the 3DS

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Barudak posted:

The WiiU was a very poorly concieved system released at a bad time to poor marketing. It also got a couple real good games, some of which have now escaped their WiiU prison and are on the Switch.

Thats about all the enthusiasm I can muster for the system and I owned one.

There's one more port/sequel that needs to be made, and it's Mario Maker.

Like... This needs to be released yesterday.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The only reason I haven't sold my WiiU is because it potentially allows me to play original Wii games on a modern television without first having to do a bunch of adapter rigmarole.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Imagined posted:

There were absolutely people who got confused about the 360 being a different console from the Xbox. Never underestimate how dumb customers can be.

I still have people ask to this day if WiiU games will work on a Wii, or if 3DS games will work on a 2DS or DSi.

The Switch being a completely different name has been a godsend.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wind Waker HD is very good and deserves a port as soon as Breath of the Wild stops being a system seller

Edit: I'm visiting home for a week and was digging through my old game stuff and found out that I actually do still have my original Wii and got excited because I can hack it and load it up with a bunch of WiiWare that isn't available anymore and ROMs and poo poo, and play my GameCube games, and I can get rid of my Wii U because the only reason I was keeping it was for Wii stuff.

Heath fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 29, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People think the 2DS is different from the 3DS. Nintendo is not good with naming conventions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's one more port/sequel that needs to be made, and it's Mario Maker.

Like... This needs to be released yesterday.

You spelled Pikmin 3 wrong

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The WiiU would have sold if it had an equivalent satisfying click noise like the Switch has. Not only does the click play before every Switch-related video, but the console actually makes the sound itself? Bravo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bring back Miiverse you loving cowards

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fun Times! posted:

The WiiU would have sold if it had an equivalent satisfying click noise like the Switch has. Not only does the click play before every Switch-related video, but the console actually makes the sound itself? Bravo.

If I wasn't afraid that it would wear down the connections I would snap in the joycons over and over just to hear that sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The real proof of how bad the Wii U was is that when the discussion of what Wii U games should get ported to the Wii, it's always the same half a dozen titles. Pikmin, TMS, Wonderful 101, Zelda, Mario Maker, other Zelda. All those games might be fantastic, but that's still a pathetic lineup for a console. Imagine if the discussion was what PS3, or DS games would you like to play on the Switch? There would be dozens of different games named and everybody would have a different list of favorites.