Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I tried using a different party this run but gently caress it, Teheku is just so much better than Aloth for not having to care about friendly fire as much. Rangers (mainly the pets) are also still just kind of bad.

Xoti as a monk/priest at least works out surprisingly well. Also got a convo with her I haven't seen before, she's aparently 27, would have pinned her as 19 myself. :psyduck:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

I tried using a different party this run but gently caress it, Teheku is just so much better than Aloth for not having to care about friendly fire as much. Rangers (mainly the pets) are also still just kind of bad.

Xoti as a monk/priest at least works out surprisingly well. Also got a convo with her I haven't seen before, she's aparently 27, would have pinned her as 19 myself. :psyduck:

One thing I do like about Xoti as a monk/priest is you can use swift strikes to cast spells faster. That's actually pretty nice since a lot of priest spells take forever to cast.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm finally approaching the end of PoE1. Just a bit left in WM2, a few character quests, then to head to Act 4. I (spoiler for act 3, altho im not sure how many people haven't finished poe1) already killed the sky dragon to get the goddesses help, man what a tough fight
How long is act 4 to actually finish btw?

Also holy poo poo is the WM some really great DLC. I'm enjoying all of it. Can't wait for Deadfire tho.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Act 4, after jumping down the pit? Maybe an hour if you're thorough

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

2house2fly posted:

Act 4, after jumping down the pit? Maybe an hour if you're thorough

Cool. I am very excited to finish and start Deadfire :P

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Same, I finally picked up PoE2 during the sale and started a new game just to see, but I really need to finish my drunk monk and not peter out in act 3.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How do I defeat the dragon in the second encounter in Beast of Winter DLC? It has -10 penetration to everything and I can't damage it before it just leaps on everybody and kills them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Node posted:

How do I defeat the dragon in the second encounter in Beast of Winter DLC? It has -10 penetration to everything and I can't damage it before it just leaps on everybody and kills them.

It depends on your level and so forth -- it's kinda a gateway encounter -- but one good way is to debuff it extensively. If you're sub-level-15 though you're hitting that content too early.

The combo that got me through the whole BoW DLC is the morningstar Fortitude debuff, then Combusting Wounds (which attacks Fort), then Mind Blades to chain-ping the combusting wounds.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It depends on your level and so forth -- it's kinda a gateway encounter -- but one good way is to debuff it extensively. If you're sub-level-15 though you're hitting that content too early.

The combo that got me through the whole BoW DLC is the morningstar Fortitude debuff, then Combusting Wounds (which attacks Fort), then Mind Blades to chain-ping the combusting wounds.

I'm level 18 and I can't get it past Healthy. It just doesn't take damage.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 29, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Node posted:

Ok then yeah I'd have to know more detail (party comp, difficulty level, gear, etc) to know what the problem is but *generally* that means you need to debuff it in some way. Watch your combat log -- are you hitting it, but not doing damage due to lack of penetration, or is everything just grazing/whiffing?

If you can debuff fortitude then land a Combusting Wounds (it's in a lot of grimoires), then ping the CW with a lot of tiny hits (mind blades, magic missiles, etc.), you can drop anything in the BoW fairly quickly. Nothing survives twelve stacked Combusting Wounds dots.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 29, 2018

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Node posted:

Concentrate on piercing the armor by using fire damage, mace rending smash modal, expose vulnerabilities, Hel Hyraf from a chanter, etc. The Messenger's corrosive siphon attack will heal it, so try to interrupt the attack when you see them begin casting it using things like a Thrust of Tattered Veils from a Wizard, Ranger's concussive shot, I think Fighter and rogue have some interrupts as well. Remove The Messenger's concentration (so as to make it interruptible) using a specific chant from your chanter or I believe a cipher ability. On lower difficulty levels you may just have to improve the quality of your weapons to improve their penetration stat. Make sure everything is at least Superb.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok then yeah I'd have to know more detail (party comp, difficulty level, gear, etc) to know what the problem is but *generally* that means you need to debuff it in some way. Watch your combat log -- are you hitting it, but not doing damage due to lack of penetration, or is everything just grazing/whiffing?

If you can debuff fortitude then land a Combusting Wounds (it's in a lot of grimoires), then ping the CW with a lot of tiny hits (mind blades, magic missiles, etc.), you can drop anything in the BoW fairly quickly. Nothing survives twelve stacked Combusting Wounds dots.

I have a Paladin/Fighter, Eder Swashbuckler, Mirke Monk/Rogue, Maia Ranger, and Ydwin the Cipher/Rogue. Equipment is a mix of exceptional and superb, and some soulbound gear. I'm doing no damage because of the absurd penetration penalty. I'm playing on Veteran.

If the solution is "bring Aloth" then that's a pretty weak crutch for a boss fight.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 29, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh just get whoever you normally get to do debuffs to debuff and debuff hard, no need to bring the wizard.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I got destroyed at 17 with that fight, came back later at 18/19 and aced it, no shame in leaving for a bit.

You have all martial characters so make sure all your weapons are at least Superb or above, and turn on your +penetration weapon modals.

Spread everyone way the gently caress out so they don't all get hit by the same Siphon/pounce.

It's a long fight and Mirke and Ydwin are your sustains, I would:
- Have Mirke spam the poo poo out of Force of Anguish to chew through her Concentration stack, then watch carefully for her spell casts to interrupt those
- Ydwin should be saving her focus for late fight healing, having Pain Block ready for anyone getting low or siphoned, otherwise keep Body Attunement up on the boss to drop that armor down to a managable level

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Node posted:

Maia is a godsend for one reason: tranquilizing shot. Do not let the dragon cast Llengrath's Safeguard under any circumstances. Being able to reliably stun it and prevent it from casting buffs is very, very useful.

I also beat it using Ancestor's Memory + Salvation of Time cheese, so ymmv. Avoided the Salvation+ Barring Death's Door cheese though, but still.

E: you definitely don't need Aloth, I didn't have him on PotD. It's a long fight, classes who can regenerate resources like ciphers and chanters are very useful. A chanter with solid sustain abilities and Hel-Hyraf is also incredibly useful. Land one of them with the upgrade and it will last forever, basically.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 29, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

Maia is a godsend for one reason: tranquilizing shot. Do not let the dragon cast Llengrath's Safeguard under any circumstances. Being able to reliably stun it and prevent it from casting buffs is very, very useful.

I also beat it using Ancestor's Memory + Salvation of Time cheese, so ymmv. Avoided the Salvation+ Barring Death's Door cheese though, but still.

E: you definitely don't need Aloth, I didn't have him on PotD. It's a long fight, classes who can regenerate resources like ciphers and chanters are very useful. A chanter with solid sustain abilities and Hel-Hyraf is also incredibly useful. Land one of them with the upgrade and it will last forever, basically.

I have tranquilizing shot but it always takes too long to charge up and hit, the dragon will have cast the spell by then anyway. Plus the dragon always has 3 concentration and also regenerates concentration.

I'm also unable to beat the Nemnok the Devourer fight. Have things drastically changed with the buff to Veteran and PotD difficulties? This is more difficult than PotD in POE1. Way more.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
do you have to resolve Blow the Man Down a specific way to recruit mirke? i did the sneak-down-to-the-ship resolution of that quest and she just hangs out in fort deadlight with no options to ask her along.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

andrew smash posted:

do you have to resolve Blow the Man Down a specific way to recruit mirke? i did the sneak-down-to-the-ship resolution of that quest and she just hangs out in fort deadlight with no options to ask her along.

She's a free DLC sidekick so make sure yo ve got the rum runner's pack downloaded!

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Miftan posted:

She's a free DLC sidekick so make sure yo ve got the rum runner's pack downloaded!

For some reason when I try to download/install this it fails... like I can't even view the store page for it. I had it installed at one point and it seems to have... gone away somehow (to the point that I can't load an old save that had it).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Zarick posted:

For some reason when I try to download/install this it fails... like I can't even view the store page for it. I had it installed at one point and it seems to have... gone away somehow (to the point that I can't load an old save that had it).

Sometimes steam is buggy about the free DLC but I have no idea other than reinstall the whole thing. Sorry.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Started playing this finally, Xoti's accent makes me want to stab myself in the ears, would I be missing anything good if I replaced her with a sidekick?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Fried Sushi posted:

Started playing this finally, Xoti's accent makes me want to stab myself in the ears, would I be missing anything good if I replaced her with a sidekick?

Unless that sidekick is Vatnir, yes. Xoti is great. Also there's a lot of Raedcerans with silly southern accents scattered about, so you'll still be hearing it either way.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are two handed weapons actually worth it? Getting the feeling the speed from dual wielding trumps everything else, though maybe just need to find the really good weapons to make two handed builds work.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fried Sushi posted:

Xoti has a lot of relevant lore, yes.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Are two handed weapons actually worth it? Getting the feeling the speed from dual wielding trumps everything else, though maybe just need to find the really good weapons to make two handed builds work.

Two handed weapons are good. They have higher penetration than one handed weapons, not to mention that dual wielding full attacks got nerfed so they're not as overwhelming as they used to be.

Fried Sushi posted:

Do whatever you want. Don't force yourself to use characters or do things you won't enjoy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Miftan posted:

That was it. For some reason I assumed it was installed with the season pass. Thanks!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

andrew smash posted:

That was it. For some reason I assumed it was installed with the season pass. Thanks!

Enjoy drunken pirate monk lady!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fried Sushi posted:

Xoti is adorable, you monster.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Xoti is expressly not adorable if you've experienced religious fanatics like her in real life (bonus points if they were the Catholic Girl In College stereotype, which Xoti also is).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Kith posted:

Xoti is expressly not adorable if you've experienced religious fanatics like her in real life (bonus points if they were the Catholic Girl In College stereotype, which Xoti also is).

But did any of them turn into psycho murderers?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I love that, yeah sure Ciphers and Paladins can be a bit weird, but it's the Priests you meet that are the psychopaths. Durance, Thaos, Xoti...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I should not have given the titan to Concelhaut, but it was too hilarious an option not to do it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Scorchy posted:

I love that, yeah sure Ciphers and Paladins can be a bit weird, but it's the Priests you meet that are the psychopaths. Durance, Thaos, Xoti...

I really enjoy the fact that Pallegina is an Extremely Online Atheist

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think everyone's favorite sidekick Ydwin is pretty cringeworthy. And she would probably sigh through the nose at that, roll her eyes and adjust her spectacles.

I quite like the idea of Xoti but I don't think she really comes together as a character. There are also parts of her writing that I just think clashes a bit with how the other companions were written. It's like she wants to go anime and do little cutesy things or something but the writers are forced to hold that back. I guess that's kinda what Ydwin feels like as well a bit. Not the cutesy bit but... anime.

Tekehu is my favorite "annoying" character in the game. I think they hit a nice balance with the annoying "pretty boy" thing, who is also naive as hell but at the same time is willing to learn and develop once things get a bit heated. I like that character quite a lot. But maybe he is anime as well...

Everything is anime.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
What's the highest skill check in the game for active and passive skills? (Or to put it another way, at what number does it stop being useful to invest skill points?)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Leinadi posted:

I think everyone's favorite sidekick Ydwin is pretty cringeworthy. And she would probably sigh through the nose at that, roll her eyes and adjust her spectacles.

I quite like the idea of Xoti but I don't think she really comes together as a character. There are also parts of her writing that I just think clashes a bit with how the other companions were written. It's like she wants to go anime and do little cutesy things or something but the writers are forced to hold that back. I guess that's kinda what Ydwin feels like as well a bit. Not the cutesy bit but... anime.

Tekehu is my favorite "annoying" character in the game. I think they hit a nice balance with the annoying "pretty boy" thing, who is also naive as hell but at the same time is willing to learn and develop once things get a bit heated. I like that character quite a lot. But maybe he is anime as well...

Everything is anime.

This is a profoundly dumb post in that it uses anime as a meaningless shorthand for...something. You're never quite sure what.

That said, I would agree that Xoti mostly fails to come across as a plausible person. She's more cute affectations than plausible characterization.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Fried Sushi posted:

Unless you want to *rub the grime from her flush cheeks* or *nestle her on your shoulder and hold her close* then yeah you should probably dump her like a bad habit. Bringing a couple companions along with a sidekick or two and/or merc is also probably the best way to minimize the *Aloth furrows his stupid loving brow* poo poo that bombards every conversation

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is a profoundly dumb post in that it uses anime as a meaningless shorthand for...something. You're never quite sure what.

That said, I would agree that Xoti mostly fails to come across as a plausible person. She's more cute affectations than plausible characterization.

This post is pretty anime

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Anime is bad, and so everything bad is anime.

It was mostly a jokey post. Mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Yeah, but you don't have to be so anime about it.

Efb, whatever (afb)