Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Moon Lord is probably my least favorite Terraria boss. Early on every boss is deliberate and you have certain methods, gear, and weapons that help counter them. By the time you get to moonlord it's just a screen-sized spam of projectiles that do 100 damage each.
Calamity looked at this and said that's what every bossfight should be like, and only ramped it up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Pointless ramping difficulty is the main reason why I try and complete as much of the new content as possible before they nerf everything. For example: Moonlord's Toungue stops the player from using health regeneration from weapons, a direct counter to stop people from using the Spectre hood (which is how I beat it the first time around).

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You can outrun the tongue with a minecart to bypass that issue.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I am playing nice and comfy Thorium Mod. The bosses it adds are tough though.

Apparently a lot of people mix Calamity with Thorium and you could make a whole new wiki on that conglomerate.

I don't know if you guys were paying attention, but development on SpiritMod has stopped. The devs don't know how to "save" it. I put save in quotes because I didn't think SpiritMod was that bad and on the better half of big content mods.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

I am playing nice and comfy Thorium Mod. The bosses it adds are tough though.

Apparently a lot of people mix Calamity with Thorium and you could make a whole new wiki on that conglomerate.

I don't know if you guys were paying attention, but development on SpiritMod has stopped. The devs don't know how to "save" it. I put save in quotes because I didn't think SpiritMod was that bad and on the better half of big content mods.

That's a bummer, it's pretty good. Fun weapons, and the bosses were entertaining. Some stuff like the new biomes and blue moon event felt like they could use a little more polish, but they were cool and added variety.

It also plays nicely with Thorium, which is a plus. E: by playing nicely, I mean that the respective mod's items don't trivialize the content unless the player goes out of their way to grind.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 21, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, the class specific stuff in Spirit was pretty strong and the later spirit biome weapons that just shoot ultra fast through walls trivialize a lot of stuff.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't give a gently caress about balance when modding so I just toss on literally every content mod and a big map, make my PC cry trying to generate the map a few times and then faff around in like 30 different biomes and 10 different metaprogressions.

There are so many Leathers!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Infinity Gaia posted:

There are so many Leathers!

Why do you need any leather besides Human?

Nevermind this isn't the Rimworld thread. :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

You can outrun the tongue with a minecart to bypass that issue.

The answer to every boss is minecarts (I guess maybe not the Destroyer but I bet you could do something with minecarts)

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Now I'm not sure if that would work, because if you somehow get strong enough to do more than a certain amount of damage at once to the later bosses they just nullify the attacks outright.

Yeah, probably wouldn't work. Especially if it tended to at any point lag you

The final boss has a gimmick, tons of projectiles coming in from various directions and you have to dodge them. If you get hit by 3, you die. No damage or such factored. Just 3 hits during the entire fight and you get killed

.. I'd managed to get through all the earlier ones even though my build was lagging like hell during the fights from all the crazy projectiles and such due to vampiric weapons and super tanking.. but that one was just unbeatable for me

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Devs posted some 1.3.6 teaser images for the holidays.

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 23, 2018

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
According to a video I watched: In the first screenshot there seems to be a crate for the ice biome, presumably so we can get things like ice skate renewably.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tombot posted:

According to a video I watched: In the first screenshot there seems to be a crate for the ice biome, presumably so we can get things like ice skate renewably.
Finally

Getting ice skates was always one of the most difficult parts of assembling the super-fancy boots. That and a lava charm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brovstin posted:

Devs posted some 1.3.6 teaser images for the holidays.

Goddamn, they just keep adding new poo poo that I immediately kick myself for not thinking of already.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Finally

Getting ice skates was always one of the most difficult parts of assembling the super-fancy boots. That and a lava charm.

Vanilla doesn't have one with the lava charm. And adding the ice scakes to lightning boots is mostly a downgrade, making ice give fall damage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Vanilla doesn't have one with the lava charm. And adding the ice scakes to lightning boots is mostly a downgrade, making ice give fall damage.
Shows how much I've played vaniall recently, I suppose

You CAN however build it into the Lava Waders, but you can't combine that with the fastboots, I guess.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

If you have the horseshoe balloon or a pair of wings, this shouldn't be a problem. Though I suppose if it's a long standing bug, maybe that'll get fixed in the latest version.

Zereth posted:

Shows how much I've played vaniall recently, I suppose

You CAN however build it into the Lava Waders, but you can't combine that with the fastboots, I guess.

That makes me think, will this be in the next patch too? At least one mod I can think of combines the lava waders with the frostspark boots.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tombot posted:

That makes me think, will this be in the next patch too? At least one mod I can think of combines the lava waders with the frostspark boots.
I know at least two mods do it, probably more. As I remember going "okay which one of these is easier to make".

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Thorium mod's got several higher iterations of boots above Frostspark which you can make pretty easily before hardmode with the QoL Cobbler NPC. I've been soloing a large expert map with Thorium on and off which I've been enjoying but can't recommend to anyone that isn't a masochist.

I was kind of bummed that we didn't get 1.3.6 in 2018 but I can't say I mind that they're taking their time to add fun stuff like the Minecarp. drat I want a Minecarp.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I know I keep saying that I mostly just want out of Terraria 2 mod support and better integrating all the biomes and such, but now I have a third request to add to it:

https://twitter.com/ABC7News/status/1078313577340116992

in addition to the blood moon, we need a SUPER BLOOD WOLF MOON

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I think that the views of the Calamity mod Authors is best shown through a quote from one of their NPCs that you get during a bossfight: "Nothard/10, if I fight bosses I wanna feel like screaming 'OH YES DADDY!' while I die repeatedly." (If any boss is active)

Oh, said NPC can just randomly take half your HP if you talk to them during a bloodmoon. And I just found out that post moonlord it makes rain and snow give you a nasty debuff while allowing slimes that do 500 damage on normal to spawn.

Every time I look at something about it I have to just ask why.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nerds like setting ludicrous challenges for themselves in videogames so they can show off to other similar nerds. It's really not that complicated.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Potential BFF posted:

The Thorium mod's got several higher iterations of boots above Frostspark which you can make pretty easily before hardmode with the QoL Cobbler NPC. I've been soloing a large expert map with Thorium on and off which I've been enjoying but can't recommend to anyone that isn't a masochist.

I was kind of bummed that we didn't get 1.3.6 in 2018 but I can't say I mind that they're taking their time to add fun stuff like the Minecarp. drat I want a Minecarp.

Thorium is fantastic, and I can't recommend it enough. Just strolling through a playthrough right now. Personally I like expert (normal is rather easy now honestly, kind of like playing non-ascension slay the spire is really easy after only playing A20 for weeks).

The only real speedbumps on expert are skeletron pre-hardmode (difficult but not that hard with good equipment) and the viscount (only because fighting him solo sucks because he transforms you). Everything else can be killed with a bit of thought and a half decent arena. Hardmode has the twins as probably the most difficult boss until plantera (destroyer and skeletron prime can be cheesed with the Daedalus bow), possibly even harder than plantera.

Thorium adds a lot of cool items and bosses. The bard class is really great (and some of the instruments are really fun to use, well into hardmode) and there are a lot of fill in the gaps weapons, armour and accessories to make progression less painful.

In terms of other content mods that add biomes - some looked interesting but it gets cramped on a medium map and playing a large map solo (since I have no friends) is super tedious.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Thorium is fun and never needs anything more complicated than wings and a gun with crystal bullets to win

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

the upper ranks of Calamity's bosses are just stupid as hell

"if you use wings i will loving delete you, no cheating" "if i hit you and you don't take damage, i will just directly set you to dead, no cheating" "hoo boy don't you dare use actual cheats, then i get really mad"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

the upper ranks of Calamity's bosses are just stupid as hell

"if you use wings i will loving delete you, no cheating" "if i hit you and you don't take damage, i will just directly set you to dead, no cheating" "hoo boy don't you dare use actual cheats, then i get really mad"

That's really only his pet superboss which doesn't even really have anything locked behind it besides pointless overpowered dev gear. I'd say Calamity is worth it up until that point, but one should never bother even attempting the grind to fight Supreme Calamitas unless they hate themselves. While it's not as tight and cohesive an experience as Thorium and tends to overpower the vanilla game to an extreme degree, it can be quite fun to see really big numbers and a lot of the weapons are quite fun to use. Plus, really good boss music.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno, the class specific stuff in Spirit was pretty strong and the later spirit biome weapons that just shoot ultra fast through walls trivialize a lot of stuff.

Huh, yeah its quite possible they were OP and I didn't notice. I'm pretty inept at combat in Terraria.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm, I remember just bailing on it before getting even within a few bosses of being able to fight that one. I forget why, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

Hm, I remember just bailing on it before getting even within a few bosses of being able to fight that one. I forget why, though.

If it wasn't that, it was probably Devourer of Gods, which used to be a lot more bullshit but has gotten consistently toned down over time. It's still a little bullshit, but at least it explains itself better now (the Calamity dev has a hardon for complex mechanics that are hard to explain within Terraria itself), with its whole gimmick where it has two modes and you're supposed to switch between fighting it from the ground or the air.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Having recently watched a let's play with the Calamity mod, the music choices for Yharon and Supreme Calamitas do not seem to fit Terraria at all.

I still struggle regularly with The Twins, Duke Fishron and the Moon Lord. I haven't even fought Ragnarok from Thorium yet. I don't think Calamity would really be for me, as I'm really bad at bullet hell games from what I seen of the let's play.

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 29, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It'll be a long time before I actually play Calamity. If I'm going to play any mod next it'll likely be Tremor or some other content mod.

I finished Thorium the other day, which – after playing this game for years and probably putting in over a thousand hours – is the first time I finished a game of Terraria. Even in the early days I always came short of beating all the bosses before dropping it. Like people have said Thorium is a very good mod; a perfect expansion to vanilla Terraria. My biggest worry is that now that I've beaten Terraria I will no longer have the drive to play it. :kiddo:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DoubleCakes posted:

It'll be a long time before I actually play Calamity. If I'm going to play any mod next it'll likely be Tremor or some other content mod.

I finished Thorium the other day, which – after playing this game for years and probably putting in over a thousand hours – is the first time I finished a game of Terraria. Even in the early days I always came short of beating all the bosses before dropping it. Like people have said Thorium is a very good mod; a perfect expansion to vanilla Terraria. My biggest worry is that now that I've beaten Terraria I will no longer have the drive to play it. :kiddo:

Uh, as questionable as some of Calamity's content can be in terms of difficulty it's still miles better than Tremor. If you want a more gradual incline, Spirit is usually recommended as a good one, though it has its own issues.

Frankly, if you don't mind jank, a horrendous lack of balance and dated memes, there is a pretty incredible amount of modded content for Terraria now. Thorium is pretty much the uncontested best, but even a janky unbalanced mod is still more Terraria, which is always good imho.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just don't understand why they keep slowly tinkering with Terraria, and not make Terraria 2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Peachfart posted:

I just don't understand why they keep slowly tinkering with Terraria, and not make Terraria 2.

Because Terraria is still selling like hotcakes and they clearly have plans for features they want in before they call it done.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

dis astranagant posted:

Because Terraria is still selling like hotcakes and they clearly have plans for features they want in before they call it done.

Yeah it's top 25 in games people play on Steam.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Peachfart posted:

It's already made and the more they plug away at it, the more their grimoire of ideas for Terraria 2 can grow. We're assuredly going to have wands and yoyos by the time 2 gets released at the base game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Yeah it's top 25 in games people play on Steam.

The year before the switch port came out sold more copies than all previous years combined, which is just completely absurd to think about.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Red has hit the genius tact of simply improving a game that’s already good and fun to play for years on end with free expansions, instead of slaving away with nonstop sequels that never really improve or go anywhere

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thorium is definitely the most like an actual bulky terraria expansion out of all the big content mods

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I’d kill at this point for someone to trawl and strip down all the mods to make a Biome Expansion Pack, without a billion new items and lovely bosses and materials clogging it

Just give me a Cloud Biome, more new Hallow-infected alts of existing ones, underwater biome, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Honestly if i'd ever mod anything for this it would be expanding on already existing content. Stuff like making corrupt/hallowed jungle equivalents so the jungle doesn't just get deleted by enroachment, maybe making large amounts of underground moss into biomes of their own with their own creatures.