Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RZA Encryption posted:

"Dark Sun", eh? P5R for the DS confirmed.

You joke, but isn't there a new Persona Q game coming out for the 3DS?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think the thousand year door's numerous flaws are overlooked too often. Repetitive chapter structure with really small areas you go back and forth over a bunch being the main issue, way too many walls of text covering over generally uninteresting antagonists, most of the bonus or side content being a grind, the Peach segments are just long unskippable cutscenes getting across that yes, this computer wants to gently caress her.

It's also not as funny as any of the other games.

Chapter 4 is just brutally boring, because you go back-and-forth across the same six screens far, far, too many loving times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My problem with them is mostly just that they bore me. I can’t really give more detail than that since it’s not like there’s something I can point to that doesn’t work for me. When I’m playing them, I really want to be doing something else.

Is it the combat that bores you? The game setting? The lack of a direct story? All of the above?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Is it the combat that bores you? The game setting? The lack of a direct story? All of the above?

I think the combat and the way the game is actually structured. I like the setting and the way the storytelling is done, but the minute to minute gameplay just doesn’t work for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My problem with them is mostly just that they bore me. I can’t really give more detail than that since it’s not like there’s something I can point to that doesn’t work for me. When I’m playing them, I really want to be doing something else.

The first one is extremely and intentionality, striving for this feeling.

I will never ever replay that game for that reason.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

that post is about dark souls, not no more heroes

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Chapter 4 in TTYD is the only one where the backtracking feels tedious, at least to me. The other chapters that feature a decent amount of backtracking don't actually feel bad. Notably, Chapter 4 has you backtracking extensively through areas filled with enemies, but the other portions of the game with a lot of backtracking, Glitzville and the Excess Express, are free of enemies and it doesn't feel repetitive because if you're like me and you like to talk to every NPC you meet, people have different things to say depending on what point in the chapter you're in.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TTYD biggest crime was getting rid of the spin from the first game. Rolling around in a tube never felt as good and came halfway through the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe it's the point of the game, but when I played it about ten years ago, NMH just kept reminding me that, OMG YOU'RE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME!, but in the way that someone who didn't play them would describe a game. Like, obviously I'm playing a videogame, but it was just SO wrapped up in that kind of message or delivery or whatever it is I'm trying to describe. It became very grating on my nerves and didn't want to experience it anymore.

Now, Killer7... There's a loving experience.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is this a Warriors game?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Barudak posted:

You’re talking about Dark Souls? You really think the game intentionally tries to bore you and make you want to do something else? That makes no sense.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Let's get the obvious jokes out of the way:

THIS HORSE IS ON FIRE

he was right, i'm sick and tired of winning

Where is Pocket Card Jockey for the Switch, Nintendo

There's so much shovelware on the Switch making jokes about them is like beating a dead horse

[Edit: thought of another one! My friend Flicker! Because flames, uh, flicker.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 30, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Look Sir Droids posted:

You’re talking about Dark Souls? You really think the game intentionally tries to bore you and make you want to do something else? That makes no sense.

I think they were talking about NMH, y'all need to disambiguate in here :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario Maker definitely has room for improvement, I'm hoping a Switch port/sequel changes a lot of things. SMB2 support and All-Stars graphical options would be nice. And cloud world. And the option to change the BGM.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Any new super mario maker should be able to completely create the full games of 1, 3, and world, and also Nintendo should do so and either include them or sell them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Poor Freckles; thought of winning and was damned to Hell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RZA Encryption posted:

Any new super mario maker should be able to completely create the full games of 1, 3, and world, and also Nintendo should do so and either include them or sell them.

if it doesnt have 2 whats the fuckin' point

and the party mode from Ultimate Chicken Horse

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
There never was a 2, they went straight from 1 to 3. Weird.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

2 was better than 3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Poor Freckles; thought of winning and was damned to Hell.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

asecondduck posted:

Let's get the obvious jokes out of the way:

THIS HORSE IS ON FIRE

he was right, i'm sick and tired of winning

Where is Pocket Card Jockey for the Switch, Nintendo

There's so much shovelware on the Switch making jokes about them is like beating a dead horse

[Edit: thought of another one! My friend Flicker! Because flames, uh, flicker.]

They already have shovelware phone trash on the Switch, bring over some good phone trash at least.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Croccers posted:

They already have shovelware phone trash on the Switch, bring over some good phone trash at least.

what the gently caress

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I want my horse solitaire on Switch goddamnit

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mario Maker definitely has room for improvement, I'm hoping a Switch port/sequel changes a lot of things. SMB2 support and All-Stars graphical options would be nice. And cloud world. And the option to change the BGM.

SLOPES!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Croccers posted:

:chloe:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Oh my God I have just had it pointed out to me that the new thread title is because of me and I have never been more proud/ashamed of myself.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wear it with pride. That story evokes chuckles.

I also had to spend a moment evaluating my lifestyle choices when I cleaned out my garage a bit and moved some things to under-the-bed storage:

I forgot how much I used to spend at Gamestop way back when.

At least I know what my retirement plan is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wear it with pride. That story evokes chuckles.

I also had to spend a moment evaluating my lifestyle choices when I cleaned out my garage a bit and moved some things to under-the-bed storage:

I forgot how much I used to spend at Gamestop way back when.

At least I know what my retirement plan is.

That’s really cool, actually. I have a bunch of N64 and GameCube games kicking around that I can’t see myself parting with anytime soon. The worst part about the N64 games is that the battery based save games are all long dead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I want my horse solitaire on Switch goddamnit

This times 100.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was talking about No More Heroes regarding intentional mundanity, tedium, and repetition, not Dark Souls.

I really dont know what to expect from No More Heroes 3 because 2 already did the "were creatively bankrupt" schtick.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Spintires is real good. The first time I had to back up the truck to hitch the trailer, it put a smile on my face. Doing missions in handheld is like meditation. The hd rumble makes it even better, you can feel the mud and gears slipping.

Once I'm good enough, gonna get nso and do some online hauling.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I was talking about No More Heroes regarding intentional mundanity, tedium, and repetition, not Dark Souls.

I really dont know what to expect from No More Heroes 3 because 2 already did the "were creatively bankrupt" schtick.

Oh, you responded to my post about being bored by Dark Souls and I felt for a minute I wasn’t the only one that found those incredibly dull.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are there any lesser known switch titles I should look at? I guess what I'm talking is Hyrule Warriors tier games.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fire Emblem Warriors

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh, you responded to my post about being bored by Dark Souls and I felt for a minute I wasn’t the only one that found those incredibly dull.

Nah you arent the only one, just games forums like this probably wont have tons of those folks. Most of the folks I game with find them both slow and reveling in repetition so they get no enjoyment from the victories. I must have loaned out my copy of DS1 to like 5 or so people all who returned it to me with at best the first bell rung.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Nah you arent the only one, just games forums like this probably wont have tons of those folks. Most of the folks I game with find them both slow and reveling in repetition so they get no enjoyment from the victories. I must have loaned out my copy of DS1 to like 5 or so people all who returned it to me with at best the first bell rung.

One of my oldest friends keeps trying to sell me on Souls games and CKII, so at least it’s not just online?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

what the gently caress
Pocket Card is the good phone junk.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

One of my oldest friends keeps trying to sell me on Souls games and CKII, so at least it’s not just online?

Dark Souls is great even without the online component, although it does enhance the experience. I only ever summoned help once in my DS1 run for O&S, but I had some good pvp fights here and there along the way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE loving MOON posted:

Dark Souls is great even without the online component, although it does enhance the experience. I only ever summoned help once in my DS1 run for O&S, but I had some good pvp fights here and there along the way.

That has very little to do with my point that it’s not just extremely online people evangelizing about how good DS is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

JBP posted:

Are there any lesser known switch titles I should look at? I guess what I'm talking is Hyrule Warriors tier games.

i dont know what hyrules warrior tier is. maybe try captain toad