Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I thought the main issue with cold weather climates isn't that your surface gets cold, but that it oscillates between freezing and thawing. The growth of ice crystals eats away at everything, the surface thaws and let's in more water, and the process repeats. You wouldn't necessarily want a surface that heats well if you are just below the freezing point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
asphalt also kinda needs to be driven on frequently to function best without cracks, etc., so that's another reason you don't see it as much in driveways

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Goodpancakes posted:

I thought the main issue with cold weather climates isn't that your surface gets cold, but that it oscillates between freezing and thawing. The growth of ice crystals eats away at everything, the surface thaws and let's in more water, and the process repeats. You wouldn't necessarily want a surface that heats well if you are just below the freezing point.

There's that plus the large amount of salt that gets dumped on the roadways. Which Tesla in all if its Silicon Valley wisdom totally did not consider when designing.

E: I mean that was about the roads but to bring it back to Tesla

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

turn off the TV posted:

The neat thing about concrete is that it is durable enough that overnight repairs doesn't need to be a selling point.

I have no idea how true this is, but I remember hearing that asphalt mostly exists to be cheap to place and expensive to maintain.

Concrete can buckle in the right conditions. This was a major problem on one of the roads I would take, so they'd have to take a "panel" out to fix it.

Katt posted:

What's with Americans and roads made out of concrete plates? What have you got against asphalt?

They aren't "plates" per se. It's one pour, but they put deep lines in them to allow the concrete to expand and contract without cracking itself into a giant mess, especially in climates where the temperatures range from freezing to stupid hot (30c+/80F+)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Concrete and Asphalt both have their uses. On regular roads it really comes down (at least here in Ohio) to which one is cheaper to build with. Concrete has less stringent base requirements than asphalt which needs a good proper stone base otherwise the whole thing fails. Concrete also lasts longer when placed well but it’s also easy to gently caress up placement and have it start cracking bad in a few years. Asphalt is more flexible and needs more maintenance but it’s “cheaper” to just mill out and put a new course in when needed as long as the base is good. We just had a full reconstruction this year where we replaced a concrete base intersection (2” asphalt overlay with 10” concrete base) to our standard asphalt profile (1” smooth surface / 2” intermediate / 3” base asphalt / 8” stone I think it was) but we ended up loving up because we didn’t account on the sub grade to be utter and complete poo poo so we ended up eating a ton of costs on undercuts and subgrade repairs.

Don’t skip out on the geotechnical exploration before a project, folks.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Concrete and Asphalt both have their uses. On regular roads it really comes down (at least here in Ohio) to which one is cheaper to build with. Concrete has less stringent base requirements than asphalt which needs a good proper stone base otherwise the whole thing fails. Concrete also lasts longer when placed well but it’s also easy to gently caress up placement and have it start cracking bad in a few years. Asphalt is more flexible and needs more maintenance but it’s “cheaper” to just mill out and put a new course in when needed as long as the base is good. We just had a full reconstruction this year where we replaced a concrete base intersection (2” asphalt overlay with 10” concrete base) to our standard asphalt profile (1” smooth surface / 2” intermediate / 3” base asphalt / 8” stone I think it was) but we ended up loving up because we didn’t account on the sub grade to be utter and complete poo poo so we ended up eating a ton of costs on undercuts and subgrade repairs.

Don’t skip out on the geotechnical exploration before a project, folks.

*just disrupts this industry with no geotechnical advisors on staff*
I’ve got two board members from Theranos who like my Smart Road company, I’m good.
*breezily waves aside centuries of road building knowledge*

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

There's still a concrete portion of Interstate 66 and I swear it drives so much smoother than the asphalt they laid down to replace it elsewhere. Bring the mother fucken concrete back!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

The neat thing about concrete is that it is durable enough that overnight repairs doesn't need to be a selling point.

I have no idea how true this is, but I remember hearing that asphalt mostly exists to be cheap to place and expensive to maintain.

Over here in Germany Asphalt is more expensive than concrete but offers superior road characteristics (if maintained obviously)

Concrete also has the massive risk of blow ups that cause multiple lethal accidents every summer.

Imagine this suddenly appears in front of you while you travel at 200+ km/h (worst case on a bike)

The superior highway combination is a concrete right lane for durability under truck loads and an asphalt left lane for passing vehicles at higher velocities

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Dec 30, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
In Germany it makes sense to build roads that can last a decade. In the US where budgeting is short sighted, we build roads that can last one winter, then require extensive rebuilding. This is cheaper up front and keeps politically connected road building companies in business.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drgitlin posted:

In Germany it makes sense to build roads that can last a decade. In the US where budgeting is short sighted, we build roads that can last one winter, then require extensive rebuilding. This is cheaper up front and keeps politically connected road building companies in business.

hahahahahah

oh wait, you're serious, let me laugh harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The transportation budgets are always the first things to get slashed, because their ill effects of slashing them don't show up for years down the line. Come on man.

That's not even getting into side streets where the state or county boards can't throw their weight around that are crumbling into gravel, because to fix them it would require a tax increase AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INUUbRA_WlQ&hd=1

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

hahahahahah

oh wait, you're serious, let me laugh harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The transportation budgets are always the first things to get slashed, because their ill effects of slashing them don't show up for years down the line. Come on man.

That's not even getting into side streets where the state or county boards can't throw their weight around that are crumbling into gravel, because to fix them it would require a tax increase AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT

Seriously, most small towns haven't seen an actual road budgets increase since the 80s. Where I live the side streets have never gotten roadwork done besides some tar. Asphalt will last a long time if it's done correctly and if not will only be fixed if it kills people.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Winter is here and the laughs are just starting

winning hearts and minds

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hahahaha well if there's one there is many many more

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Seriously, most small towns haven't seen an actual road budgets increase since the 80s. Where I live the side streets have never gotten roadwork done besides some tar. Asphalt will last a long time if it's done correctly and if not will only be fixed if it kills people.

I agree that asphalt done properly will last, but that's also in climates that don't have freeze/thaw cycles like the upper Midwest does. The utter refusal to fix the roads comes solely from the fact that it costs money, and the budgets around here got slashed so badly that they need a tax increase to fix the roads.

e: the driveway I have is pretty old, and has lasted pretty well, but it also doesn't see heavy traffic that interacts with those cycles. So it's a combination of a lot of factors, but the fact remains that the roads aren't lovely because of some government corruption, it's because of shortsightedness and an abject refusal on the constituents to raise the money to fix them.

iospace has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
picture of model 3 vs bmw, these people don't understand car development

Just hanging out with all my friends, they're just outside frame

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rust: An Elonian Tale

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Morphix posted:

Supercharged Romantic Mode actually sets the car on fire.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meh sunsets are overrated.

Sunrises are where it's at.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Morphix posted:

The friend is the car

Also, that's why the socket is sticky

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

I agree that asphalt done properly will last, but that's also in climates that don't have freeze/thaw cycles like the upper Midwest does. The utter refusal to fix the roads comes solely from the fact that it costs money, and the budgets around here got slashed so badly that they need a tax increase to fix the roads.

e: the driveway I have is pretty old, and has lasted pretty well, but it also doesn't see heavy traffic that interacts with those cycles. So it's a combination of a lot of factors, but the fact remains that the roads aren't lovely because of some government corruption, it's because of shortsightedness and an abject refusal on the constituents to raise the money to fix them.

Tell me about I live right by lake erie :v:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

iospace posted:

Meh sunsets are overrated.

Sunrises are where it's at.

sober sunsets
hungover sunrises
life

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Morphix posted:

Ah yes the romance of sitting in a lovely car at the beach and watching a fake fire on a terrible screen, a far superior experience to bringing real wood and lighting that on fire.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Admiral Ray posted:

Ah yes the romance of sitting in a lovely car at the beach and watching a fake fire on a terrible screen, a far superior experience to bringing real wood and lighting that on fire.

Oh believe me they brought some wood

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/philtse851/status/1079439840624599040

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's enough moisture in the air where they're stockpiling those other cars to rust the poo poo out of them too, right?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

wait...is that dude just loving buffing the cars poo poo paint in the show room?

what the gently caress

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He's loving the experience, or,

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He told us we'd regret slashing the transportation budget, if only we'd listened!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I have done detailing and paint corrections for the majority of my student life and I cringe at everything in that video.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

I have done detailing and paint corrections for the majority of my student life and I cringe at everything in that video.

If you're not stalling out the polisher, you're not really getting those deep scratches.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

There's enough moisture in the air where they're stockpiling those other cars to rust the poo poo out of them too, right?

White paint is suspect to easier corrosion as well as in paint corrosion due to the processing of the titanium oxide that makes up the paint pigments.

Ford had a super expensive recall about that a few years ago with their transporters and commercial line of vehicles.

Rusty white paint can also be translated as being cheapskates at the paint both.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Theory posted:

White paint is suspect to easier corrosion as well as in paint corrosion due to the processing of the titanium oxide that makes up the paint pigments.

Ford had a super expensive recall about that a few years ago with their transporters and commercial line of vehicles.

Rusty white paint can also be translated as being cheapskates at the paint both.

This is Tesla

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

one fun tradeoff of asphalt in climates that freeze is the really amazing potholes that form, due to how water seeps into the (porous) asphalt as temperatures rise and fall. i ended up with a car repair bill of like $450 last winter, due to not noticing quickly enough that there was a nice big fresh crater on one of my local streets

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

one fun tradeoff of asphalt in climates that freeze is the really amazing potholes that form, due to how water seeps into the (porous) asphalt as temperatures rise and fall. i ended up with a car repair bill of like $450 last winter, due to not noticing quickly enough that there was a nice big fresh crater on one of my local streets

Yeah, they're called frost boils.

That's why everything i drive gets big meaty tires.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

serious question here: is there a “best” color of paint for longevity? Do the Ford stripes or “premium” paint colors offer better or worse protection from elements?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
red :ussr:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

poisonpill posted:

serious question here: is there a “best” color of paint for longevity? Do the Ford stripes or “premium” paint colors offer better or worse protection from elements?

Older paint that's not water based. And no paint without clear coat. Also older paints because they are thicker and will allow you heavier and more paint corrections before you run the risk of running out of clear coat (this won't happen just because you buff out some holograms with ultra fine or anti holo polish - think more that there's a limited number of times you can 2000 grid sand paint before you run out.)

For advanced shenanigans try to avoid nitro paints too (they are a bit more laborious to keep shiny)

There are... Some... Paints that are more resistant but they are not available to the mere mortal that worries about paying for detailing.
Ferrari has ceramics based clear coat since the F430 that is pretty tough. But you also pay 5 figures just for changing the synchro belt so there's that.

E: the paint isn't really protecting much. The sections of the car that are subject to rock impacts and splash from your own vehicle have a lot more complex layering than just paint on top of primed metal, that's the actual protection. The rest... Eh... Doesn't matter much.

The best rust protection is a flame zinced body but the last ones we made in Germany left the factory at the end of the last century. They really do not rust tho

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Dec 30, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Teal posted:

I'm personally a fan of the lofstrom loop if for no other reason then because it's loving radical as poo poo

It's also potentially more technologically feasible; it'd be hella drat hard and also super mega dangerous, but I think we do have all the needed technology at least in theory unlike with the space elevator where we still just can't make the tether strong and light enough even in theory. Here you can supplant material deficiencies by cramming more energy into it and overbuilding it a bit more.

Uh oh what's this?

quote:

The loop would be in the form of a tube, known as the sheath. Floating within the sheath is another continuous tube, known as the rotor which is a sort of belt or chain. The rotor is an iron tube approximately 5 cm (2 inches) in diameter, moving around the loop at 14 km/s (31,000 miles per hour).[2]

:elongate:

Don't let Elon find out