Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Queen Combat posted:

This, basically. I mean, I played a ton of system shock back in the day, but Prey just doesn't click with me.

A very good game that I can't grok.

Me and the entire Souls genre. I just find them really dull to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

What have you done

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol if you didn’t picture Lara and Sam tentatively exploring their growing attraction to each other with quick accidental brushes of the hand and shy smiles to watching Personal Best and showing each other the seven faces of god by the time you finished the game

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

Been real curious to check out Shadow to see where it slots in compared to Arkham Origins and Knight. :v:

It's very much Knight in that it forces you to use a lovely tool and locks down all other more practical ways. It's just that in Shadow it's a bow instead of the Batmobile, like there are big parts of the game where 3/4 of your weapons are just packed away in Lara's backpack and you are forced to use the bow.
It's also Origins in that it's made by a different developer on the same engine etc. so it's pretty much just a repeat of the last game with a lovely skill tree and annoying sidequests for some unlocks.

One of the things that drag the entire new TR series down for me is that there's only one reoccurring character besides Lara and they keep changing his appearance drastically with each game.

Hel has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Dec 30, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

John Murdoch posted:

See the funny thing is I hated Rise. 2013 is unremarkable, but as a positive also doesn't overstretch itself. Rise feels bloated and unfocused. I always compare them to Arkham Asylum vs. Arkham City, with the former less refined but pleasantly compact and the latter making strides in certain areas but lacking in everything else. Been real curious to check out Shadow to see where it slots in compared to Arkham Origins and Knight. :v:

I liked Rise better because it felt more "exploratory" overall, which is more in nature with the character. I felt like I could do more (side quests, sub plots, weapon builds, secrets) and that the balance between feeling "open world" vs "on rails" was hit rather effectively. Open world games get on my nerves after a while due to my limited schedule but I enjoy games that capture that "feel" without overwhelming me with map icons. I also thought that Rise did a better job changing up the environments and letting me tackle them how I saw fit. I even enjoyed backtracking.

I think your Arkham comparison is spot on but don't think the critique is entirely appropriate since TR is about exploration and searching for secrets while Batman is more about loving up villains and kicking rear end. I never thought TR worked best as a combat game and usually that's my least favorite portion of the them, while kicking rear end as Batman is loving awesome. I LOVE ALL the Arkham games for different reasons but, you're right, there's something really perfect about Asylum's contained environment.

Except that secret cave bat-raft bullshit level. gently caress that area entirely.

There you go. that's my favorite thing dragging down Arkham Asylum: loving around on that raft, climbing and getting lost for an hour. That an the "opening a vent" or "spraying explosive" animations, which really get old after a while.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wish I had stopped playing Alien: Isolation about four hours before it ended.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Weirdly enough, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is also not clicking for me at all. Like, it's got all the things I liked about the other two entries except moreso, the setting and locale are neat, and the story looks... alright, I guess. Rationally, I really ought to like it quite a bit. But whenever I think about actually starting it up again to play on, I'm just like... nyeeeh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
TR2013 was a mostly brainless action movie with some nice setpieces and not a single gameplay mechanic it didn't nick from somewhere else

it was still far better than Rise, which took all of that and also forced you to slog around giant open areas the color of snow or the color of mud while Lara whined incessantly about her father

at least there was some decent character drama in TR2013, Rise was totally sterile and from everything i saw Shadow is even worse

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked Rise better because it felt more "exploratory" overall, which is more in nature with the character. I felt like I could do more (side quests, sub plots, weapon builds, secrets) and that the balance between feeling "open world" vs "on rails" was hit rather effectively. Open world games get on my nerves after a while due to my limited schedule but I enjoy games that capture that "feel" without overwhelming me with map icons. I also thought that Rise did a better job changing up the environments and letting me tackle them how I saw fit. I even enjoyed backtracking.

I think your Arkham comparison is spot on but don't think the critique is entirely appropriate since TR is about exploration and searching for secrets while Batman is more about loving up villains and kicking rear end. I never thought TR worked best as a combat game and usually that's my least favorite portion of the them, while kicking rear end as Batman is loving awesome. I LOVE ALL the Arkham games for different reasons but, you're right, there's something really perfect about Asylum's contained environment.

For me, all of the best improvements they made in Rise were in service of the combat. I mean, they literally added Batman-style predator sections which hey if you're gonna ape gameplay from something isn't a bad choice. But then because of that lack of focus, you only get like...two or three of them in the whole game, plus maybe some awkward Batman-esque stealth encounters. I also really liked the ability to scramble together improvised explosives (as silly as it was to combine a tin can and some flint or w/e to make a grenade). But then the combat itself was really bland at best and obnoxious at worst and you had really bizarre additions like tombs granting Lara magic bow powers and the largely meaningless crafting system.

The exploration had the same problem as Arkham City for me where any sense of discovery is hampered by you being endlessly gated by upgrades (or the pointless language proficiency system) and similarly there's the occasional spot where it's not totally clear that you need a later upgrade to grab a particular collectible because of poor signposting. Though honestly I think the game would be instantly 10% better if you just completely removed the ancient coin caches and coin shop, which I'm pretty sure was originally going to be an actual paid premium currency store. This might be down to the fact that I'm the sort who, as soon as I get full control of the game, will go in the exact opposite direction of the objective and root around for goodies. (I've completed whole swaths of side content before progressing the plot in stuff like Watchdogs.) And I also obsess over 100% completion, so any particularly lovely mini-puzzles or hidden collectibles will stick out to me.

I also thought a lot of the tombs in Rise weren't very good, particularly any of the ones with water and boats because the physics were completely hosed.

Edit: Oh also yes I tend to care entirely too much about story in my games and Rise's is reeaaal baaaaad.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Dec 30, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Bound by Flame, and while the stance system in combat is interesting and I like how it flows, the overall controls are a bit clunky. Also while the enemy designs are neat, some of the character designs are laughable, like Edwen the Magician's ludicrous outfit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

like Edwen the Magician's ludicrous outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTqiQZNDkk0

Aside from that loving gigantic boob window...I kinda dig it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not a boob window - those are two seperate pieces of armour. They do not connect at the back. It's a shoulder/neck guard thing, then a steel halter top made of spikes.

The enemy designs are really cool though:

Also the stance system is fairly intuitive - if you are fighting ranged enemies and you don't have any arrows, best not to use ranger because it's dodge dodges backwards, so you'll still get shot, so warrior is best for those because they can block. Ranger's physical moves are really good against bigger enemies because that same dodge can get you out of the enemies reach, then you can rush in for stabbing them a million times. The biggest problem is resources seem scarce and health potions take a long time to use, although I've started actually using the traps as well at this point.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Dec 30, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I enjoyed Rise, but it was pretty much entirely because of all the Byzantine flavor.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Bound by Flame is my favourite lovely RPG and that's largely because I just absolutely love the soundtrack. Easily one of my favourites.

The female main character voice actress is just dreadful though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

It's not a boob window - those are two seperate pieces of armour. They do not connect at the back. It's a shoulder/neck guard thing, then a steel halter top made of spikes.

A boob breezeway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Bound by Flame is my favourite lovely RPG and that's largely because I just absolutely love the soundtrack. Easily one of my favourites.

The female main character voice actress is just dreadful though.

I always like Demons who are not all evil, like this one as far as the game has told me is just hyper focused on get to the WorldHeart and stop it freezing over, and gently caress everything that gets in the way of that.

It reminds me of Ergo from Anima: Gate of Memories, who is a perverted rear end in a top hat but when it counts he does care about his Bearer, and when faced with being released from the book he doesn't want to because he'll inevitably kill the Bearer and he doesn't want that. Hell, in hte ending where she does release him he explicitly begs her not to.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So I'm playing the new Spider-Man and how does Peter know that Martin Li is a bad guy after the attack on Osborne's rally? Miles and Peter aren't talking (and Miles doesn't know who Li is anyways). But Peter just psychically knows that the only Asian character is evil. Also, naming a black character after the president of the CSA seems weird.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

He sees Li at the rally glowing all negative-like before the explosion. It's a bit awkward and not really addressed clearly thanks to the time-skip, I think there was a last-minute re-write of the reveal. In the E3 demo Li is in the helicopter at the end of the under construction skyscraper sequence.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

But Peter just psychically knows

:spidey:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Patrick Spens posted:

Also, naming a black character after the president of the CSA seems weird.

The president of the CSA was Jefferson Davis.

Which is Miles' father's name.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Last night I posted in the Switch thread about how they should be exactly my poo poo, but anytime I play them I’m just bored wishing I was doing anything else, but I can’t point to anything specific about why it doesn’t work for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Last night I posted in the Switch thread about how they should be exactly my poo poo, but anytime I play them I’m just bored wishing I was doing anything else, but I can’t point to anything specific about why it doesn’t work for me.

They're really ugly games to look at aesthetically and can be visually tiresome even if you're enjoying the gameplay.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

They're really ugly games to look at aesthetically and can be visually tiresome even if you're enjoying the gameplay.

I like the Souls games but I wish there was a scrub difficulty. Where you're essentially a god and get to just explore without having to deal with getting wrecked by surprise enemies or every boss.

And I really really hate how the series made the novel mechanic of dropping all your xp on your body popular and now it's a popular mechanic to add into games.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone goes crazy over Bloodborne so I bought it when I picked up my PS4 a few months ago, and it's just :effort:. It's not fun, for me.

Not discounting what people like, I can see that it's a very well made game, within its own narrative and structure. But I have more fun playing Gravity Rush 2 or Yakuza 0 for ten minutes than I do with any soulsborne game. Just not my jam, and I'm glad I only wasted $5 on Bloodborne.

(Granted, I had tried Dark Souls/II on PC a few times, with a controller and with the unofficial patches for the first game, but still didn't click -- I thought it might have been the platform).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Len posted:

I like the Souls games but I wish there was a scrub difficulty. Where you're essentially a god and get to just explore without having to deal with getting wrecked by surprise enemies or every boss.

And I really really hate how the series made the novel mechanic of dropping all your xp on your body popular and now it's a popular mechanic to add into games.

I don't think the creators should necessarily have to create an easy mode if that's not their vision, but I do wish one of the 10,000 Dark Souls imitators out there would try to make a chill Souls game that was more about exploring the world and less about everything trying to kill you every 10 feet. Maybe only like 16 things in the entire game try to kill you. Basically I'm saying make a Shadow of the Colossus with a Soulslike atmosphere.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

You can always pretend it doesn't exist like any other game and just throw the XP away I guess. The system is a lot more forgiving than most games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

exquisite tea posted:

They're really ugly games to look at aesthetically

:thunk:

Len posted:

I like the Souls games but I wish there was a scrub difficulty.

Dexterity build with a pokey weapon, this applies to basically all of them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Evil Within 2:

- Half of Sebastian's dialogue is "What the hell?" every time he encounters a new monster, despite this being a sequel and he's already faced worse. It's as if he's a Tom Cruise character who's called Jack and who pretends he's still 35.

- There are 40 files, 11 photo-slides, 7 cups of coffee, 32 locker-keys, 24 residual memories, 10 red gels, 12 high-grade parts, and 8 special items to collect. Most of these are in plain sight, but as you progress you cross more points-of-no-return without warning. You'd best alt-tab to a guide because it sometimes gets so obnoxious that the window of opportunity to pick something could be in the space of 10 seconds. There should be kind of lost-and-found feature in linear games which demands you grind a little in exchange for poo poo you missed, I think Bastion had something like that.

-There's no proper analog-aiming with the gamepad. If you move your the thumbstick in a circle while aiming then Sebastian moves his aim in a square-pattern. I just used aim-assist the whole time, except for one time I had to switch to the mouse during the final-boss. At one point the Boss grabs with you one and moves to smush with the other. You're supposed to shoot these glowing pustules on the arm but damned if I know how console-players did it.

+ The game is well-paced with a mixture of open-world parts, linear-levels, and set-pieces. It actually tells the story which Fallout 4 couldn't be arsed to do right, because your every action is in service of your goal and you're never sidetracked for some inane reason. You explore and scavenge to give yourself greater odds at survival, and you only do errands for other characters because they offer a convincing narrative reason for you to help them, like the guy in the magic-bathtub.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've always felt like Dark Souls as a game, setting and story works really well with being difficult, to the point where I can't picture an 'easy mode' version of it. It's a harsh and uncaring world that has essentially crushed everyone who came before you, and everyone beside you, mentally if not physically. It treating you just as harshly just makes sense.

I understand the want for an easier version of it, I just can't figure out how you'd do it while retaining that part of things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I've always felt like Dark Souls as a game, setting and story works really well with being difficult, to the point where I can't picture an 'easy mode' version of it. It's a harsh and uncaring world that has essentially crushed everyone who came before you, and everyone beside you, mentally if not physically. It treating you just as harshly just makes sense.

I understand the want for an easier version of it, I just can't figure out how you'd do it while retaining that part of things.

I don't think you could because easy would go completely against the everything. It would be like giving all the npcs happy endings to their stories. It just doesn't work with the setting

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If Dark Souls only thing to provide players is difficulty it must be a really bad game cause apparently there is no actual story or adventure in it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

If Dark Souls only thing to provide players is difficulty it must be a really bad game cause apparently there is no actual story or adventure in it.

Wow why do you hate Tetris so much?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On that note I would love to see a children's version of Dark Souls, like mildly tricky at worst ramping up from fairly simple at the start, based on a colourful but bleak world, that sort of thing. Hell, License it. Someone arrives in Bikini Bottom only to find it mostly abandoned and you need to figure out what the hell plankton did.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragging down Dark Souls: The loving novella of text on every item I have to sit down and read instead of putting in someone that doesn't try to kill me to feed me lore and story. I thought this was dark souls not FINAL FANTASY 13 AHAHAHAHAHAH

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow why do you hate Tetris so much?

smh if you don't see the story of the I block cucking everyone by stuffing every hole possible.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Len posted:

I'm the complete opposite, where now I have a hard time getting into any game that lets me just reload a checkpoint when I die. (Doesn't specifically have to be dropping your XP/money on your body, just that failure means time moves forward with a consequence.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've never minded easier games to be honest. sometimes you just want a game that'll let you suck at it or have trouble with one fight for a bit without punishing you. Souls games are satisfying in their way, but they can be stressful and after a long work day I just want to chill with a normal checkpoint system, or have the option to mindlessly grind for a bit if I want.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You know how some games do this thing where they put a long, unskippable cutscene or dialogue directly before challenging bossfight, so you have to sit through it every time anew? That's what the entire Soulslike genre is like for me. Repeatedly having to go through the same extended and largely dull bits just to get to the actually interesting ones.

And then sometimes you slip up and get killed by a random grunt and it's like pressing "no" at the "did you get all that?" question in that one Zelda game and ugh.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Dark Souls is the polar opposite of one of my favorite games of all time, Shadow of the Colossus.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Perestroika posted:

You know how some games do this thing where they put a long, unskippable cutscene or dialogue directly before challenging bossfight, so you have to sit through it every time anew? That's what the entire Soulslike genre is like for me. Repeatedly having to go through the same extended and largely dull bits just to get to the actually interesting ones.

And then sometimes you slip up and get killed by a random grunt and it's like pressing "no" at the "did you get all that?" question in that one Zelda game and ugh.

I feel like that's a very apt comparison, especially since I really enjoy souls games but also have a decent degree of patience to put up with stuff like that.

Also having to go back through Monster Hunter World is reminding me that even with all the improvements they made they still really do not get that tying stuff like canteen unlocks to delivery quests is not really all that fun. Also egg collecting quests really should just be removed from the game, literally nobody will miss them aside from maybe people who feel spiteful that nobody else has to suffer like they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Something that's bugged me in a bunch of JRPGs recently - making random encounters way too easy and basically pointless. In Tales of Berseria, random encounters are brain-dead-easy unless you up the difficulty to "mega-impossible" or whatever, which itself only unlocks after playing the game for a while, and even then I don't think they were that bad. Ni no kuni 2 was super easy as well. But then both had boss battles that were actually a decent challenge, as well as optional fights. Berseria had the added bonus that the optional boss fights were randomly added to normal encounters, so it's not like you can just slide the difficulty before and after each boss.

Easy random encounters might not be a problem if they still served to grind you down through a dungeon, but a lot of modern games let you carry as much healing as you like. Having to use 1-3 dirt cheap healing items to recover after a fight isn't much of a setback when you can buy and carry 99 at a time.