Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Where is a good spot for rubies? I found a few down in the blood kelp area, and I went to the sea treaders area and broke shale for 20 minutes but only got two. Rubies are straight up gating me out of progress.

The volcanic vents near the koosh zone north of the Aurora seem to have a good amount of rubies, and relatively easy to gather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a bazillion rubies along the walls in the blood kelp area, the narrow crevasse that goes up to the surface is your best bet for finding lots of rubies in the upper areas. rubies become extremely common down in the green underground area I forget the name of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I just built the prawn suit! I can't wait to punch rocks and wade slowly without fear
get the grapple arm and become the spiderman

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In the Early Access people were using two grapple arms and just going hog wild. Don’t know if that’s worth it with how useful the drill arm is.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I just gotta do a bit of farming first so I can build stuff, last thing I did was build the suit, don't have any upgrades yet

Incidentally, I deconstructed a scanner room because the stupid stalkers kept stealing the cameras and I had to steal them both back, but apparently they managed to steal 1 back again before I could deconstruct it. What can I do with that camera? It won't let me deploy it (so it won't show up as a beacon), but if I build a new scanner room won't it automatically provide me with 2 new ones anyway? Is it just scrap now?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It won't let me deploy it (so it won't show up as a beacon), but if I build a new scanner room won't it automatically provide me with 2 new ones anyway? Is it just scrap now?

If you build a new one in range (about 500) it’ll detect the scan probe and you can drive it around like normal. Or, if it’s out of battery you can plug it into an empty scan room recharge slot from your inventory. I think you can access all of your probes from any scan room that you’ve built.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Oh my

Ok, it is now clear to me that there is a lot more to this scanner room than I knew. I should probably build (or find the materials for) that chip that lets you superimpose the scanner items on your HUD, I mostly just played around with it and then got distracted by gardening. I love gardening

Thank you, I will keep that sucker til I build a new room

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I recommend 4 range upgrades rather than putting a speed upgrade in.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I don't have the game open now but I will check it out

For my part and from my limited experience, I can recommend not accidentally planting a poo poo load of tiger plant seeds in a grow box directly outside your base, at least until you have the upgraded wetsuit. I thought I could get some rad automated defences and all but they just love shooting poo poo at you and I don't know if they even bother with other fauna

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Zesty posted:

I recommend 4 range upgrades rather than putting a speed upgrade in.

:monocle: they stack

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

They sure do!

...now remember the relationship between radius and volume, and imagine the glory.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

This is especially apparent when you get into the cave network. For instance, a 4xrange scanner room in the tree cove can almost see the powerplant chamber!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

max range scanner modules are your best friend, you have not stripmined until you've felt this kind of glory

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Zesty posted:

In the Early Access people were using two grapple arms and just going hog wild. Don’t know if that’s worth it with how useful the drill arm is.

You keep a drill with you and jump out to swap it in, you spend way more time moving around than you do mining.

Bonus points if you are under attack by someone big and need to switch in a way to do damage, that was...maybe my only death on my full completion run.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I just built the prawn suit! I can't wait to punch rocks and wade slowly without fear

Now build the Spider-Man attachment and you can finally be the SANDRIDER.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Beat it, awesome game.

I'm curious, what did everyone name their craft?
Seamoth: Dulcinea (well, first it was Stormy a la Sealab then I got off on a tear)
Prawn: Sancho Panza
Cyclops: Don Quixote
Neptune: The Quest

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
HONK HONK

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I named mine after Polynesian weapons, though I forget the details. The shark tooth club for one.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The map mod is a godsend and I am on the right track now. Finally found beacon tech all in one area. Started a new base and have started placing beacons to stop getting so lost. Just made the ship and it is pretty cool. Next I guess I need to find some decent ore to make a cutter and a weapon.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I just found an alien mega base that's also a giant gun turret which proceeded to vaporize the Sunbeam, I'd feel bad for the guys who got lit the gently caress up but well that's just how it goes.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

So I just found an alien mega base that's also a giant gun turret which proceeded to vaporize the Sunbeam, I'd feel bad for the guys who got lit the gently caress up but well that's just how it goes.

In your defence, the whole reason they are there in the first place is that a big big ship got blown the gently caress up. They knew there was potential danger and they still tried landing rather than dropping supplies or a communication device or.. just anything, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JiPj9c98Y

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Scanner room technical note: It only scans chunks that have been loaded into the game's memory. If you've just loaded in you'll need to do a circle around your base just to force it to load stuff before things actually pop up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Where is a good spot for rubies? I found a few down in the blood kelp area, and I went to the sea treaders area and broke shale for 20 minutes but only got two. Rubies are straight up gating me out of progress.

Bulb bush zone and the area under the floating island are good easy spots for rubies.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

BBQ Dave posted:

Beat it, awesome game.

Seamoth: Dulcinea (well, first it was Stormy a la Sealab then I got off on a tear)

Seamoth: Reaper Bait
Prawn: Leviathn Fghtr
Cyclops: The Whale

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What is the best way to power a scanning room at depth? Will solar panels build energy that deep? Do I need to put up a reactor? Will power transmitters transfer cyclops power?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

What is the best way to power a scanning room at depth? Will solar panels build energy that deep? Do I need to put up a reactor? Will power transmitters transfer cyclops power?

bioreactor is great for power

people sure are obsessed with that scanning room. i've done three full playthroughs and never built one. you don't need it

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're gonna want to build a reactor or put it near thermal vents with generators built over them, I would think.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Thermal generators or bioreactors.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BBQ Dave posted:

Beat it, awesome game.

Seamoth: C-Bitch
Prawn: Shrimp Boi
Cyclops: SS Jigglebutt
Neptune: Lowest Bidder

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My Cyclops was painted yellow and named the Yoko Oh No.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I got the game free from Epic and finally installed it last night.

:staredog:

Why did I wait so long?
Progress this far:
I have recipes for the propulsion cannon, laser cutter, and gravimag or whatever. I don't know where to find the stuff to build them or to be able to go deeper than 100m yet though, and the ship exploded... Is there a time crunch to decontaminate it? Is that where I should be going next?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there is no actual time crunch. go at your own pace.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

boar guy posted:

bioreactor is great for power

people sure are obsessed with that scanning room. i've done three full playthroughs and never built one. you don't need it

Have you had a playthrough where you did use one?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah I just popped a 2 room base down in the blood oil area with a bioreactor full of dog turds and a scanner room with max range and a HUD chip, and holy poo poo I was drowning in rubies within 5 mins

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 31, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Quote is not edit

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zesty posted:

Have you had a playthrough where you did use one?

yeah. it's like fine as a novelty but you absolutely do not need it

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

In your defence, the whole reason they are there in the first place is that a big big ship got blown the gently caress up. They knew there was potential danger and they still tried landing rather than dropping supplies or a communication device or.. just anything, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JiPj9c98Y

In their defense, they had no idea the Aurora had been shot down. It's the first alien technology found anywhere, so there was no reason to worry about thousand-year-old giant defense lasers sitting around on random, uncolonized planets.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

BBQ Dave posted:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You guys have awesome names for things, I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm the boring person who didn't rename them and kept them at the stock colour