Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I want a machine biome as an evil option to go with purple and red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I wish the end game wasn't such a grind, don't know how I'd mod it though.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Some kind of boss and tier of gear between the wall of flesh and the mechanical bosses would be nice. The start of hardmode always seems the biggest hurdle to me.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That first mechanical boss is when I must make a combat arena. Having a good hook and jumping mobility is a must as well if I want to be able to dodge their attacks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Said No posted:

Honestly if i'd ever mod anything for this it would be expanding on already existing content. Stuff like making corrupt/hallowed jungle equivalents so the jungle doesn't just get deleted by enroachment, maybe making large amounts of underground moss into biomes of their own with their own creatures.
The jungle fights back now, though.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

I Said No posted:

Honestly if i'd ever mod anything for this it would be expanding on already existing content. Stuff like making corrupt/hallowed jungle equivalents so the jungle doesn't just get deleted by enroachment, maybe making large amounts of underground moss into biomes of their own with their own creatures.

I think the best solution would be alternate worlds - so instead of so many distinct biomes on a single map, you have multiple maps with either a single biome or several. Hardmode could see corruption and hallow encroaching on these alternate worlds. This solves the problem of corruption biomes completely destroying some biomes (like the jungle or deserts), turning the spawn area into a clusterfuck and allows easy introduction of new biomes/worlds without having to regenerate a single map or increase the size of the map to accommodate so many (new) biomes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been doing one playthrough after each major patch, but never gone heavily into modding (I know about Thorium and that's it). What's the biggest pack of mods I can't install that will put the most amount of poo poo in the game but won't kill each other? Undressing the nurse is not necessary.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Only reason to play Calamity is to all the elemental waifus and completely trivialize the game with anime tits.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That Guy Bob posted:

Only reason to play Calamity is to all the elemental waifus and completely trivialize the game with anime tits.
I think you accidentally a word there.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Crimson Harvest posted:

I want a machine biome as an evil option to go with purple and red.

Why not as an alternate to the Hallow as a version of "order" instead of yet another "chaos" biome
Even makes a nice duality to meat world of Crimson as the Hallow's good world has with Corruption's evil world

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Why not as an alternate to the Hallow as a version of "order" instead of yet another "chaos" biome
Even makes a nice duality to meat world of Crimson as the Hallow's good world has with Corruption's evil world

Sure whatever just lets get some more really weird and gross feeling biomes, but maybe also the game does need a multiple map system or something to put them all in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I mean, the Hallow is perfectly safe to build your little town dystopian apartment complex in.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Sure whatever just lets get some more really weird and gross feeling biomes, but maybe also the game does need a multiple map system or something to put them all in.
Yeah it'd be cool if instead of "Now there's MACHINE here!" it's that you like, find or build a portal, and the place on the other side is entirely machine.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I still also want to play a mode/mod where you start in the underworld and have to escape to the surface like the lost soul in Zangband. I wonder how hard the design for that would be. And a worldgen option that gives you an inverted world with the underworld somehow at the top and space at the bottom.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Billy Jo Robidoux posted:

Some kind of boss and tier of gear between the wall of flesh and the mechanical bosses would be nice. The start of hardmode always seems the biggest hurdle to me.

For veterans, a common strategy is fishing up a ton of crates before hardmode and then opening then immediately after busting altars because you can get hardmode ores from them. Also things like the reaver shark which are good all the way up to the Temple.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

For veterans, a common strategy is fishing up a ton of crates before hardmode and then opening then immediately after busting altars because you can get hardmode ores from them. Also things like the reaver shark which are good all the way up to the Temple.
I think the Reaver Shark is equal in pickaxe power to the Molten Pickaxe, so if you fish one up you're set for picks until hardmode. At which point you open all those crates and hopefully have enough material to make an adamantine/titanium pickaxe.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been doing one playthrough after each major patch, but never gone heavily into modding (I know about Thorium and that's it). What's the biggest pack of mods I can't install that will put the most amount of poo poo in the game but won't kill each other? Undressing the nurse is not necessary.

There's not really any full modpacks or anything, but for a gentle introduction into modding I'd say you want Thorium for content, MAYBE Spirit for some additional new spice, then mostly QoL mods, stuff like Magic Storage, Auto-Trash and Recipe Browser. Thorium is pretty meaty on its own. If you don't care too much about balance being wonk between the mods and vanilla, toss in Calamity, which is also very meaty.

I don't know the max because I'm the kind of guy who doesn't care if mods start overwriting each other or having ten progression steps at each tier so I like jamming all the mods together into a giant slurry and downing it. Recently I was looking at the Mod Browser and found out someone made a goofy DragonballZ-themed Terraria mod and I instantly installed that poo poo because heck yeah more random junk clogging up my existence.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

No Safe Word posted:

You don't even need to bust altars to get hardmode ores from crates. As soon as you're in hardmode, you can get all three tiers of hardmode ore this way.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

No Safe Word posted:

god I love how common the Drax is pre-hardmode in mobile

kill the WOF with it and then go straight upstairs to mine as many tiny Chlorophyte nodes as possible

makes you feel like a god to mine so fast and jump up that far in the progression

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jinx posted:

I think the best solution would be alternate worlds - so instead of so many distinct biomes on a single map, you have multiple maps with either a single biome or several. Hardmode could see corruption and hallow encroaching on these alternate worlds. This solves the problem of corruption biomes completely destroying some biomes (like the jungle or deserts), turning the spawn area into a clusterfuck and allows easy introduction of new biomes/worlds without having to regenerate a single map or increase the size of the map to accommodate so many (new) biomes.

I was honestly kinda thinking about something like that, no lie. Minecraft has the Nether but what if instead of all these different types of environments, Terraria only had like four and then you just go through a portal to Corruption or Crimson and mushroom world.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Enter a Nether portal and suddenly instead of going somewhere new, your house is now made of meat and all the catcuses are made of solid iron blocks you can mine

Your brewing stand switches place with your enchanting table in bizarro world, and those villagers you had trapped become pigmen

Your redstone powered piston door now dispenses lava when you stand in front of it

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Enter a Nether portal and suddenly instead of going somewhere new, your house is now made of meat and all the catcuses are made of solid iron blocks you can mine

Your brewing stand switches place with your enchanting table in bizarro world, and those villagers you had trapped become pigmen

Your redstone powered piston door now dispenses lava when you stand in front of it

I mean that's pretty loving cool idea, especially if it makes a hell-world copy of yours.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Alternatively, solid windows that are just portals you can't go through. You see through to the bizzaro world that's based on yours with different materials, but you just can't reach the cool stuff in it. Instead all you can do is push blocks through the window. If a window happens to be sitting in some cave and you see a chest on the other side, you'd better find the exact boring looking stone block in the normal world that corresponds with that chest and push it through to the other side to give you its alternate form

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Legit thought for a while that’d we’d see an official counter to the Crimson and alt to the Hallow with a Machine/Clockwork infectious biome, Hallow feels kind of bare for a Hardmode only feature

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I always had a rough idea in my head that the biomes are aligned along a light/dark axis, and a creation/destruction axis. Corruption is destruction because everything's rotting and decaying, Crimson is creation because everything's way too overgrown and infested. Hallow is creation because everything's super vibrant and over the top. I figured light/destruction would be something like crystallization trapping everything in stillness forever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that would honestly be a pretty cool way of having it set up. i can see a mod focusing entirely on the aspects of the biomes fighting each other and the player being wrapped up in aiding or destroying certain sides of it to their benefit or peril.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

that would honestly be a pretty cool way of having it set up. i can see a mod focusing entirely on the aspects of the biomes fighting each other and the player being wrapped up in aiding or destroying certain sides of it to their benefit or peril.
It's almost enough to base a new Terraria around hmmm

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Crimson Harvest posted:

It's almost enough to base a new Terraria around hmmm

You'd have to make it take place in a different setting to make it more than just a rehash. Some sort of other world, you could say.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
or you could just cancel it, and then say it's un-canceled, and ??????

Just be happy with Terraria. I don't think it needs a sequel, and if you're tired of it, honestly, slapping a 2 on the same game with a little more content and slightly better graphics isn't gonna change that very much.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I only poked at Spirit Mod a bit, and while it was definitely aesthetically distinct, I never got a handle on its gear upgrade path. It also had the problem that is kind of intrinsic to Terraria - too many surface biomes crowded into the same horizontal area. The Spirit place always overwrote something else. Thorium is generally better in that it added in bosses into previously unused micro-biomes like marble and granite, and some extra small pockets of ores. The extra caves under the ocean were okay because who ever goes out under the ocean? (This was Thorium and not some other mod, right?) It also added in that one Wildreach biome with the tribal planty guys that felt kind of extraneous when I played. (... Same question, this was Thorium?)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A Terraria 2 that was an exact clone of 1 but 64bit so there wasn't a 4gb memory cap would be an instant purchase for me.

With a higher memory allocation you could actually run maps large enough to make use of intricate biomes all doing their own things.

E: Vanilla terraria is 2gb capped with TML upping it to 4gb.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 31, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Geomancing posted:

I only poked at Spirit Mod a bit, and while it was definitely aesthetically distinct, I never got a handle on its gear upgrade path. It also had the problem that is kind of intrinsic to Terraria - too many surface biomes crowded into the same horizontal area. The Spirit place always overwrote something else. Thorium is generally better in that it added in bosses into previously unused micro-biomes like marble and granite, and some extra small pockets of ores. The extra caves under the ocean were okay because who ever goes out under the ocean? (This was Thorium and not some other mod, right?) It also added in that one Wildreach biome with the tribal planty guys that felt kind of extraneous when I played. (... Same question, this was Thorium?)

The underwater caves are Thorium, Reach is Spirit. Yeah, playing with mods basically requires a Large world even when solo, which can be tricky, and even then there is risk of overwriting.

In other mod news, as someone who likes to toss on random mods whenever, I have to give my trip report that the weird DBZ mod is actually shockingly competent and well made. Overpowered to an extent, but well made. It has all the proper sound effects for things, too! You can even tell it was made with real love because amongst all the beams and blasts and scouters, it adds the almighty Farmer's Shotgun to the game! The DBZ style flight it adds is also actually pretty fun to use and not as overpowered as you'd think.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Just be happy with Terraria. I don't think it needs a sequel, and if you're tired of it, honestly, slapping a 2 on the same game with a little more content and slightly better graphics isn't gonna change that very much.

See, you say that, but I'm already fine with paying for the same game but running better. And so are many gamers: see, Dark Souls Remastered

So the same game better optimized and easier for developers to update and players to mod sounds great to me, but I get that that doesn't apply to everyone.

Terraria 2, space as an uncharted new area, underwater caverns and cities, established NPCs that've already been surviving and built shelters of their own, snap-shotting the environment to instantly build a replica somewhere else, etc etc.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

See, you say that, but I'm already fine with paying for the same game but running better. And so are many gamers: see, Dark Souls Remastered

So the same game better optimized and easier for developers to update and players to mod sounds great to me, but I get that that doesn't apply to everyone.

Terraria 2, space as an uncharted new area, underwater caverns and cities, established NPCs that've already been surviving and built shelters of their own, snap-shotting the environment to instantly build a replica somewhere else, etc etc.

I agree with upgrading to 64bit. They really need to do it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Terraria is half price over this weekend in case you know someone who doesn't already own it and should :).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mayveena posted:

Terraria is half price over this weekend in case you know someone who doesn't already own it and should :).

This means literally everyone who doesn't own it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

This means literally everyone who doesn't own it.

Yes everyone should own Terraria but I know there are people out there who refuse to buy any game unless it's on sale.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Cross-post.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Required:

- Terraria Mod Loader (needed to get anything else running, duh. You download all your other mods through the in-game browser Mod Loader adds, too!)

- Hamstar'sHelpers/ModHelpers (used for a lot of other mods, you might not need it but better to have it just in case)

Quality of Life:

- OmniSwing (Makes all weapons autoswing/fire when holding down the button. Why this isn't the default is a mystery.)

- MaxStackPlus (Makes a lot of stuff stack up to 9999, saving on annoying stacks of stone and stuff. Really handy.)

- Reduced Grinding (Makes certain items (mostly ankh shield requirements) drop more frequently, which is really a huge time saver due to the necessity of the ankh shield later on.)

- AutoTrash (allows you to automatically trash certain items on pickup, configurable by you in-game. Extremely useful.)

- Recipe Browser (While a near necessity for content mods, this is still a much handier solution to crafting knowledge than the Guide is even in vanilla. Adds a window you can call up via hotkey that allows you to search out any item in the game and find out how to get it, and also let you see everything an item can be used to make.)

- Yet Another Boss Health Bar (Adds health bars to bosses. Simple but useful.)

- Vein Miner (allows you to set up a hotkey that lets you mine out an entire vein of a mineral at once. Slightly cheaty, but honestly who cares about cheating out the tedium of mining out bits of ore individually? Customizable, so works with modded ores too.)

Quality of Life +: (these change the game a bit more significantly, so pick and choose depending on your tastes)

- Magic Storage (Adds a centralized upgradeable storage solution so you can just dump all your stuff in one place instead of in scattered chests. The reason I can't ever see myself going back to vanilla.)

- Start With Base (Does what it says: let's you start with a moderately customizable base with pre-built rooms for exactly as many NPCs as all your mods combined will ever have. Useful if you're not interested in Terraria's building.)

- AlchemistNPC LITE (Specifically the LITE version, the developer kinda feature creeped his mod into a weird content mod later. Adds NPCs that let you buy potions of all kinds, as well as stuff like mushrooms, stars, jewels and decorative blocks, making this one good for builders.)

- Extensible Inventory (allows you to have as many pages of inventory as you want! Game starts to lag if you have more than 5 though, but that's still 5 times the inventory you'd have by default. Kinda janky to use, but handy for long expeditions, especially with content mods.)

- Fargo's Mutant Mod (adds vendors that sell boss and horde summoning items once you've beaten them once, as well as a couple of amusing endgame-ish options such as multi-boss summoners and a boss rush summon. Can be in QoL+ since they split their weird ultra accessories off into their own mod.)

Content:

- What Mod Is This From? (Simply lets you know what mod any given item is from. Handy and unintrusive.)

- Boss Checklist (Lets you know when and how to fight any bosses added by content mods. Can also be used in vanilla if you don't know the vanilla boss progression, but is generally meant for mods.)

- Thorium (If you're going to use only one content mod, make it this one. Fantastically balanced, filled with content and integrated seamlessly with the vanilla experience, this mod is the closest thing to a Terraria expansion you can get. Highly recommended for any and all.)

- Calamity (If instead of a seamless Terraria expansion you want something radically different, look no further than Calamity. The dev is a bit obsessed with difficulty, and his sprites, while amazing, don't really fit Terraria's existing style. Has an expansive soundtrack by DM DOKURO, a shitton of bosses, many of them post-moon lord, a whole ton of items and two additional difficulty modes. Not recommended for beginners due to the difficulty, but is (usually) a fun challenge for veterans.)

- Spirit (The baby brother of the three big content mods. Roughly in the middle of the two in most terms. Has unfortunately ceased development, but what's there is still pretty interesting, well balanced, and worth playing. Most unique feature is artifact weapons, one for each vanilla spec, which you can use and upgrade throughout the game.)

Content +: (Mods that I personally like, but aren't generally recommended, at least not yet):

- The Enigma Mod (Not nearly as polished as the previous three, but a serious up and comer for Spirit's third place throne, this mods most unique feature is the addition of an "alternate dimension" accessible lategame which allows you to fight highly modified vanilla bosses and has its own set of rules in place. Rather poorly balanced right now, but ambitious and interesting.

- Fargo's Soul Mod (Adds frankly overpowered accessories that require tons of effort to make. Interesting for creating end-game goals, but easily skippable.)

- AlchemistNPC (The original content creeped version of AlchemistNPC. Has some weird end-game goals and some really strange weaponry. An interesting curiosity and not too intrusive, so there's not much harm in having this instead of Lite if you want to see some strange stuff.)

- The Split Mod (Another newcomer on the scene with huge ambitions. Doesn't have too much content yet, but is one to keep an eye on. With impressive animations and some of the few bosses in any content mod to have actual unique "skeletons", this mod is worth looking into even at this early stage.)

- WeaponOut (Personal favorite of mine, and actually pretty light. Originally just did what the name says (lets you see your weapon on your character model while you're holding it) but added some really interesting new weapons and weapon classes over time, like whips that do extra damage if you hit with the tip and fists/knuckledusters that have a combo counter with special effects. Integrated really smoothly with vanilla Terraria.)

Cheaty Mods:

-Wing Slot (adds an equipment slot only for wings. Obviously increases your power level by freeing up an accessory slot, but having so many mandatory accessories is annoying, especially with mods.)

-More Accessories + (grants another accessory slot after beating Plantera, stacking with the extra slot gained after Wall of Flesh. Another obvious power level increaser, but again, mods add a lot of interesting accessories to use so...)

-Cheat Sheet (Used for cheating, obviously, but handy to have when using a lot of content mods as sometimes biomes can get crowded, making it hard to get whatever any specific mod wants you to get.

Don't:

-Tremor (Used to be considered one of the big three content mods due to sheer volume, but it had an extreme case of quantity over quality, with terrible bosses, bad biomes and generally poor balance and design. Avoid.)

-The Antiaris (The new mod by the Tremor devs, where they promised to focus more on quality over quantity. They didn't.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anyone else can feel free to add to it or correct it, I just gave my own opinions and preferred mods and my tastes are questionable since I'm enjoying using the dumb DBZ mod.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Tremor was the one with the weirdass corn and tiki bosses right? They always seemed horribly out of place and with terrible rewards, no idea how they actually fit in progressionwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
They really didn't because the rewards are bad and the bosses really hard for when you are supposed to fight them.