Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harol is probably closest to goondom, at least earlier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I picked up an Xbox 360 to play Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon cause I missed those back in the day and it was a good call LO rules. I'm only like four hours in but pretty much everything is rad, I like how the formations work and how it lays very lightly on top of the classic turn based stuff. I like how the themes of the story are very tightly woven into how it plays.

From what I've heard it eventually gets heavy but so far it's this brisk, like Keanu Reeves adventure movie with some interesting stuff just under the surface. Tho yea the Thousand Years of Dreams stuff gives off these huge gut punches on a regular basis.

I'm really pumped to play more and see where it goes!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sophie is definitely a nerd but she's like a sociable nerd with actual friends

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

I picked up an Xbox 360 to play Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon cause I missed those back in the day and it was a good call LO rules. I'm only like four hours in but pretty much everything is rad, I like how the formations work and how it lays very lightly on top of the classic turn based stuff. I like how the themes of the story are very tightly woven into how it plays.

From what I've heard it eventually gets heavy but so far it's this brisk, like Keanu Reeves adventure movie with some interesting stuff just under the surface. Tho yea the Thousand Years of Dreams stuff gives off these huge gut punches on a regular basis.

The thousand years of dreams are one of my favorite jrpg things. Time to rest at this random inn oh Christ

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Uuuuuuh Meruru is consistently crashing on a cutscene now. I straight up cannot view that cutscene, which is making it impossible to progress. I dunno what to do, it's a very consistent crash. I can't even just avoid the cutscene because it happens in the castle gate area which you have to pass through to go to Rufus' study

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

If/when it does, it'll probably be something like XCX takes place in a reality that split from the XC1/XC2 ones and the XCX branch was a Conduit-less remnant. The Conduit no longer being in that reality would also provide a nice 'real' reason for why those aliens wanted to murder the hell out of humanity too because those aliens were definitely the kind of people who'd be made that such a powerful macguffin is no longer available for them to procure and exploit.

No. The Conduit going off is a wholly separate continuity, because that one was caused by Klaus just about literally playing God rather than in the midst of an alien invasion. There's also a major difference in technological levels between XCX and the other timeline, because Siren was a mere standard-model Artifice and it was far ahead of Skell technology.

Evil Fluffy posted:

On the other hand... XB2 is also our world, but in the future.

Considering the oddness of Mira in XBX, if they ever make a XBX2 or a remaster of XBX that actually finishes the story, I think we'll see some additional links retconned to stick them all together. As long as it ends with Tatsu 'slipping' and falling in to an active volcano when nobody's paying attention to him I'll be happy.

Sure, but it's a wholly different continuity. I agree that definitely could happen if they remade/remastered XBX though. And there's probably a lot they'd retcon in general if they remade XBX, because the main plot, (what little of it there was), was pretty much a clusterfuck of barebone rewrites to begin with.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 1, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I can't imagine a world where XBX wasn't meant to have a sequel, even before all the development issues. You can't just name a character Lucifer and not have that pay off somehow

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well now I finished Tales of Berseria and SPOILER HUGE SPOILER LITERALLY THE END OF THE GAME Is there any meaning to the name Maotelus in one of the earlier games? Considering how all the expeditions have you visiting environments from earlier games I was wondering if that was another one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah, then it would be a cool thing. Instead it's a reference to Zestiria itself, so that makes it a lame thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RareAcumen posted:

Well now I finished Tales of Berseria and SPOILER HUGE SPOILER LITERALLY THE END OF THE GAME Is there any meaning to the name Maotelus in one of the earlier games? Considering how all the expeditions have you visiting environments from earlier games I was wondering if that was another one.

he's the most important god in zestiria and that is it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

It's the name of the super-god in Zestiria who was in charge of purifying or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

an actual dog posted:

One of the dreams will make me cry until the day I die and if the author of the dreams was the author of the games story it'd be the greatest RPG ever made. Instead its just really good with a few missing and painfully noticeable QoL features, like having a way to collect items from areas you can't return to except for some spells or how there is an achievement for finding every single item in a game where you can never, ever turn off random encounters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

he's the most important god in zestiria and that is it

Oh okay, just Zestiria. It could've absolutely been somewhere earlier and I wouldn't know.

And I know to not play the game and just watch the anime if I really really wanna know what happens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought missable items would show up later in Lost Odyssey

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Barudak posted:

One of the dreams will make me cry until the day I die and if the author of the dreams was the author of the games story it'd be the greatest RPG ever made. Instead its just really good with a few missing and painfully noticeable QoL features, like having a way to collect items from areas you can't return to except for some spells or how there is an achievement for finding every single item in a game where you can never, ever turn off random encounters.

Which dream?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I thought missable items would show up later in Lost Odyssey

The items do, but there are two spells that you can miss since the areas they are part of still technically exist even if the shops that sell them updated their inventory due to story progression, so you can miss them forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

an actual dog posted:

Lost Odyssey is extremely good, but you should keep a guide handy for finding all the Dreams. Some of them are obnoxiously obscure and missable.

Clarste posted:

Which dream?

For me, the hardest gut-punch was the fireworks on the island beach :suspense:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well, I got back to where I was in Meruru by using an old branched save and the cutscene that crashed me didn't trigger. Gonna branch 100% of my saves now and if the cutscene ever happens again, and still crashes me, I know I'll have a safe save where it's un-triggered and figure out whose friendship events I need to avoid. Hopefully it'll just be fine when I retrigger it though.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lost Odyssey is extremely good, but you should keep a guide handy for finding all the Dreams. Some of them are obnoxiously obscure and missable.

I double checked and it looks like I can go back and grab the ones I missed at the end so I won't stress.

I just finished disk one and there's a part of me that wishes I didn't get it digital so I could do the swap, tho I think if I bought it used there would be a good chance something was scratched and that's terrifying.

Barudak posted:

The items do, but there are two spells that you can miss since the areas they are part of still technically exist even if the shops that sell them updated their inventory due to story progression, so you can miss them forever.

Should I worry about this for any reason other than completionism?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

an actual dog posted:

They're pretty good mid-tier spells that also are needed for combination magics. You don't technically need them for beating the game or post-game, but you probably wouldn't want to be without them.

The two spells are Shieldus and Barricadus and are available in the towns of Saman and Ghotza, but only the first times through.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

They're pretty good mid-tier spells that also are needed for combination magics. You don't technically need them for beating the game or post-game, but you probably wouldn't want to be without them.

The two spells are Shieldus and Barricadus and are available in the towns of Saman and Ghotza, but only the first times through.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate that the cauldron of knowledge is in fact an actual cauldron and not metaphorical. I assume I am nearing the end of the main story, though I am guessing I should do all the side quests I can find first.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 1, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

I appreciate that the cauldron of knowledge is in fact an actual cauldron and not metaphorical. I assume I am nearing the end of the main story, though I am guessing I should do all the side quests I can find first.

You're not quite as close as it sounds but you're still nearing the end. What I did around there is just sat down and cleared out as much of the recipe book as possible then advanced the plot because I like you thought I was coming right up on the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

an actual dog posted:

There's a pair of max-level spells you get all of TWO chances to buy. They're really good barrier spells, so you don't want to miss them. Thankfully they're sold together by the same vendors.

an actual dog posted:

I just finished disk one and there's a part of me that wishes I didn't get it digital so I could do the swap, tho I think if I bought it used there would be a good chance something was scratched and that's terrifying.

I was lucky enough to find a complete physical copy of Lost Odyssey for all of $10AUD. I actually got it free digitally on the XBox store at some point (I think it was just plain free rather than Xbox Gold or something at one point iirc?), and bought it just for novelty of having a 4-disc fat-cased X360 game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

For as much as I like Atelier Sophie my favorite part of the game is how you can identify the antagonist solely through process of elimination

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

For as much as I like Atelier Sophie my favorite part of the game is how you can identify the antagonist solely through process of elimination

oskar, driven mad by the voices of plants, finally decides to murder everyone

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oskar, driven mad by the voices of plants, finally decides to murder everyone

Leon executes everyone not dressed in a revealing outfit

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Leon executes everyone not dressed in a revealing outfit

Local Man Kills, Like, Two People

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Local Man Kills, Like, Two People

Leon's a woman. Dunno if that's ever been a woman's name in real life but it is in Atelier Sophie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

clock shop guy goes on a rampage because everyone forgot he exists

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

clock shop guy goes on a rampage because everyone forgot he exists

same but Monika

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, I thought Leon was the dollmaker for some reason. I don't remember almost anyone's name from Sophie

also thought it might have been the guy with the sword who has no personality and also looks like a generic NPC

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, I thought Leon was the dollmaker for some reason. I don't remember almost anyone's name from Sophie

also thought it might have been the guy with the sword who has no personality and also looks like a generic NPC

I think there's usually a pretty clear distinction between party members and generic NPCs in terms of clothing fanciness.

Also, Marguerite should have been a party member.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rascyc posted:

The AI's focus on elemental combos kind of annoys me though, I wish you could have set at least a priority on their blade switch order but I sort of understand why they did this. I haven't formed an opinion yet on how much this impacts the rest of everything but it's enough that I find trying to do cute hybrid stuff with your healer's setup is basically asking for trouble at times if you don't stick to a very specific special chain.
Here's something you didn't know (because the game hates telling its players about the more technical details of the combat system): female party members focus their blade switches around first trying to complete blade combos. Male party members, on the other hand, will attempt to complete driver combos! Both genders will also switch for the other type of combo but only if their preferred one isn't going or they have no valid options for it.

A lot of people make the assumption you've made probably by virtue of their party mostly consisting of Rex as player, and then Nia and Morag.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Here's something you didn't know (because the game hates telling its players about the more technical details of the combat system): female party members focus their blade switches around first trying to complete blade combos. Male party members, on the other hand, will attempt to complete driver combos! Both genders will also switch for the other type of combo but only if their preferred one isn't going or they have no valid options for it.

A lot of people make the assumption you've made probably by virtue of their party mostly consisting of Rex as player, and then Nia and Morag.
... That's... weird.

I mean, I have everything but Break for a Driver Combo on Rex's blades, so I'm actually fine with Nia and Morag concentrating on elemental combos, but that's still kinda weird.

I think I'll keep Nia with 3 healer blades equipped, though, even with this knowledge

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's kind of a mixed bag cause the attacks on Rex that launch are slow swinging weapons so it's really unreliable to rely on AI Rex to launch, whereas he'll topple for days with anchor shot alone. Nia fist weapons on the other hand consistently launch if you give her two fist blades though so I've gone that route.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reviews of atelier rorona when it first came out are extremely lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

its weird that they never patched in like, a toggle to let you tell the ai what to prioritize

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

reviews of atelier rorona when it first came out are extremely lol

for a second i thought this was gonna be about my stuff lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

for a second i thought this was gonna be about my stuff lol

Once I hit 'vapid gaming protagonists' I assumed it was about Symphonia again.