Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pixaal posted:

It's like they never played Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey, both do autosaves and hard saves, and both are for this very console!

I'm guessing because it's never been in any pokemon game, they just didn't think to include autosave. There is no trade-off the devs overlooked it and it should probably be in a game, especially one with a primary audience of kids, which is the exact group this side game is primarily targeting.

They probably purposefully didn't do autosaves out of fear of Pokemon duping, same reason they disabled cloud saves. They need to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

pixaal posted:

It's like they never played Breath of the Wild , both do autosaves and hard saves, and both are for this very console!

Guess what, hard saves get over written by auto saves in botw.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bushisms.txt posted:

Guess what, hard saves get over written in botw.

By auto saves? That’s dumb.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah the only way to protect a save is to not play.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah the only way to protect a save is to not play.

That’s weird the only games I know that function that way is like Dark Souls. Most games use autosaves as more a way to protect you from an unexpected gently caress up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Guess what, hard saves get over written by auto saves in botw.

It does not, I did a complete second playthrough without my manual save from before getting touched.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Xaris posted:

So I've weirdly enough never played a Katamari game, and I tried the Katamari demo and it controlls like rear end... Like I just got stuck between 2 objects and couldn't back out for like a good minute. Is that, the intentional part of the game ala octodad? Otherwise it was fun but not sure if it's a fighting-controls-game or it just does a poor job explaining them and they're actually fine once you get used to it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wouldn't say each stick does different things... The controls are more like certain bumper cars, like the rounded kinds with two sticks for controlling. Imagine each stick on the controller is one of your arms pushing that side of the Katamari. Pulling the stick back/down means you'd be grabbing the Katamari and pulling it towards yourself.

How many people would know what I'm talking about if I said that Katamari controls like Virtual On :corsair:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So if I were to make a new Nintendo account for another region, in my case Mexico to buy Into the Breach for $5, the new account needs to have a unique profile on my Switch, correct? After I buy the game do I need to keep the account on the Switch to play it with my account?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wamdoodle posted:

How many people would know what I'm talking about if I said that Katamari controls like Virtual On :corsair:

Oh come on that is not loving :corsair: knowledge

... oh god, is it? :ohdear:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Your Computer posted:

I looked at the one on the eshop (2?) and I just can't get over the new art

the tilesets, effects and menus look so soulless like something straight out of rpgmaker compared to the beautiful pixel art of the originals. At least they didn't butcher the characters like in those FF remakes though :confuoot:

Comparing to the old one, they added some lighting and spell effects, gave the bosses some animations. Widescreen. And while I can see the updated backgrounds and landscapes being kind of sterile in places, the old looks very flat in others. It doesn't feel as generic as that Kemco/RPGmaker copypaste junk.

Bad photo from my phone comparing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also, they're tank/crawler controls so pretend you're driving one of these or something, idk that's what i always think of

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how do people get enough coins to buy the postgame stuff in mario odyssey

is that just what the balloon game is for

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Ciaphas posted:

Oh come on that is not loving :corsair: knowledge

... oh god, is it? :ohdear:
virtual on ftmfw

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Protocol7 posted:

Why the gently caress does Lets Go Pikachu not seem to have any autosaving at all?

Game locked up and I had to close out of it. I admit it's my fault that I haven't saved recently, but I had just cleared the Team Rocket hideout and the last save was before I fought Lt. Surge.

What the gently caress!? Not a single autosave between several hours of gameplay on a singleplayer game?
Likely because the game use to save a LOT. Every time you changed boxes you would save, every time you would trade you would save. That changed a bit when you switched between generations but the latest "autosave" was Every time you went online in the DS games it would save. Basically you were agreeing to a lot of saves so it already had a way to keep stuff saved. Outside of that, when do you autosave? After a Pokemon is caught? That ruins save scumming as discussed. After you go between zones named? Closer but that's more of a weird timing when you're grinding, likely the safer place to do that.

Fallom posted:

Games can have a slot for autosaves and a slot for manual saves so that’s kind of a weird trade off to pretend to have to make.
There's a lot of information about the pokes you have, and it takes up a lot of info. It's not impossible to save more but I think they weight that against stuff. Also there's already two save slots, but most people will never see them. The second slot is a backup of your last save in case of corruption. It will rollback to the save in emergency.

The biggest thing overall is the fact you only get that far without saving by putting the system into rest mode these days, which a portable game that allows you to save anywhere isn't likely accounting for. For now the answer is save more often, do it before each rest mode (which is what I do because I don't know what games I want to play when I come back and I've been burned by other games as well).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Oxxidation posted:

how do people get enough coins to buy the postgame stuff in mario odyssey

is that just what the balloon game is for

https://youtu.be/6WFNlsj3h3M

I specifically farmed the last method.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

minusX posted:

Likely because the game use to save a LOT. Every time you changed boxes you would save, every time you would trade you would save. That changed a bit when you switched between generations but the latest "autosave" was Every time you went online in the DS games it would save. Basically you were agreeing to a lot of saves so it already had a way to keep stuff saved. Outside of that, when do you autosave? After a Pokemon is caught? That ruins save scumming as discussed. After you go between zones named? Closer but that's more of a weird timing when you're grinding, likely the safer place to do that.

Every 15 30 45 60 minutes as a user setting.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Klisejo posted:

Comparing to the old one, they added some lighting and spell effects, gave the bosses some animations. Widescreen. And while I can see the updated backgrounds and landscapes being kind of sterile in places, the old looks very flat in others. It doesn't feel as generic as that Kemco/RPGmaker copypaste junk.

Did the ever fix the awful input lag in the switch version?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

pixaal posted:

Every 15 30 45 60 minutes as a user setting.
Gross, I can't think of a game with that setting, most other autosave feels natural to the gameplay.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Klisejo posted:

eh that's fair, that's not a bad counter-example. I guess I'm just not much of a fan of mixing pixel art and illustrations like that anyway, but still.

maybe calling it rpgmaker is going a bit far but I just look at pictures like this and think oof

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I just bought myself a Switch for Christmas and am looking for game suggestions. I like stuff like Animal Crossing, games where there really isn't an end goal of beating it. Just stuff you can log on play for a bit and feel like you've advanced or accomplished something. I bought Stardew Valley cause that fit what I was looking for, so more games in that vein. I like open world, sand box type stuff, or endless loot grinds like Diablo (if there is another game similar to D3 on the Switch, let me know). I don't have friends so multiplayer stuff is out, even though I enjoy Mario Kart it gets old vs. the CPU all the time. Skyrim is high on my list of games to buy since I've never played it, but I want to wait for a sale. Zelda is up there too, but I was hoping for more "indie" type games. If Zelda fits everything I'm looking for, then I'll buy it.

Oh, on my wish list I have - Enter the Gungeon, Celeste, Golf Story, Zelda, Street Fighter 30th Collection, Furi, Hyper Light Drifter, Wizard of Legend, Transistor, Victor Vran, Skyrim, Mario Tennis, Moonlighter, Dead Cells. So any feedback on those games would be nice. I don't like overly difficult games either.

TLDR - Give me game suggestions similar to Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley/Diablo 3. Open World, sandbox, loot collecting/grinding. Thanks!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Zelda should move to the top of your list based on that. It's not Animal Crossing but it is very open-world, make your own fun.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Nep-Nep posted:

Did the ever fix the awful input lag in the switch version?

The D-pad works fine, but the analog stick has lag or a giant deadzone or something.

Your Computer posted:

maybe calling it rpgmaker is going a bit far but I just look at pictures like this and think oof

Oh yeah, the menus and icons are crappy. I wish I could just replace it with the generic FF white text on blue. I'm assuming it's a byproduct of making it for howevermany devices with touch controls and different size screens, ect. I got used to it after a bit, there's not too much in the way of inventory mgmt, just retooling skills and magic every generation.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 1, 2019

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

someday japan will learn how to make good menus in their rereleases and then they will be so insanely powerful it will be almost too much

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
Is night in the woods worth it or should I wait for a sale?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shikantaza posted:

it's only one of the best games ever made

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shikantaza posted:

Yes, it was the best game of 2017.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Shikantaza posted:

Totally worth it, just remember it’s more of a story than a game.

E: you’re paying for a very good interactive book

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Totally worth it, just remember it’s more of a story than a game.

E: you’re paying for a very good interactive book

:greenangel:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

flirty dental hygienist posted:

TLDR - Give me game suggestions similar to Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley/Diablo 3.

Dragon Quest Builders is, in some ways, all three of those in one so play that.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Cities Skylines chugs a little bit at times which is kind of to be expected, but it's still a totally fine version of that game and it's awesome to be able take my city with me if I'm going somewhere where there'll be a wait. Hopefully they'll put out more of the DLC for it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It does not, I did a complete second playthrough without my manual save from before getting touched.

They must have patched that, it wasn't that way at launch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1079905802318565376

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can we get that outfit in game?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The N64 stick will inevitably break down regardless of how you handle it, nintendo designed it in the dumbest way possible.

The design is fine, for the most part. They just happened to make the assembly out of the chalkiest plastic imaginable that inevitably grinds to dust. If somebody could design a sturdier replacement part for them that isn't just "use GameCube sticks in their place and pray for no dead zones" that'd be great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barudak posted:

Can we get that outfit in game?

none of her animations were designed with a dress like that in mind, it would be a clipping nightmare!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wamdoodle posted:

Give me Virtual-On using the Joy-Cons for ARMS-style virtual sticks, dammit!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Virtua-On not being in the Switch is a crime against humanity

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They probably purposefully didn't do autosaves out of fear of Pokemon duping, same reason they disabled cloud saves. They need to figure it out.
Nah they're just another stubborn Japanese dev.
The Yakuza devs still don't have regular auto-saves, only having prompts at the end of chapters. Hell it took at least 9 or 10 games to add being able to save from the pause menu instead of running to an in-game save point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Virtua-On not being in the Switch is a crime against humanity

I honestly can't wait for those three PS4 remasters to get released. I also really wish that twin-stick peripheral wasn't obscenely expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

flirty dental hygienist posted:

I just bought myself a Switch for Christmas and am looking for game suggestions. I like stuff like Animal Crossing, games where there really isn't an end goal of beating it. Just stuff you can log on play for a bit and feel like you've advanced or accomplished something. I bought Stardew Valley cause that fit what I was looking for, so more games in that vein. I like open world, sand box type stuff, or endless loot grinds like Diablo (if there is another game similar to D3 on the Switch, let me know). I don't have friends so multiplayer stuff is out, even though I enjoy Mario Kart it gets old vs. the CPU all the time. Skyrim is high on my list of games to buy since I've never played it, but I want to wait for a sale. Zelda is up there too, but I was hoping for more "indie" type games. If Zelda fits everything I'm looking for, then I'll buy it.

Oh, on my wish list I have - Enter the Gungeon, Celeste, Golf Story, Zelda, Street Fighter 30th Collection, Furi, Hyper Light Drifter, Wizard of Legend, Transistor, Victor Vran, Skyrim, Mario Tennis, Moonlighter, Dead Cells. So any feedback on those games would be nice. I don't like overly difficult games either.

TLDR - Give me game suggestions similar to Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley/Diablo 3. Open World, sandbox, loot collecting/grinding. Thanks!

Breath of the Wild will be so much your jam it is not even funny. Go jam that purchase button so hard and have fun!

Skyrim will also definitely be your jam if you like exploring and loot collecting and such. That game is huge.

I think Lego City Undercover is on this thing? Open world, loot collecting, not too hard. Should also be right up your alley!