Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bhaal posted:

My wife and I both got sucked into this game (along with a few friends).

It's a ton of fun and we're starting to get into the mid tier of ships. I have an FdL and AspX as my two best ships thanks to core mining. Slowly getting into engineering and exploring other parts of the game like tourism and exploration.

However, we really want to do multicrew stuff and after trying it last night were rather disappointed. We tried for exploration. With an AspX we went about 300 LY out of the bubble to a system that I knew has a lot of good stuff to scan. But we never really did our homework on how things work when it comes time to share/sell the data we scanned. It was in my ship but it didn't appear easy or possible for her to sell the same data on her own. We were also getting problems of her getting DC'd and I'd have to reinvite to the crew, which appeared to wipe her progress on scan data we made.

In short: Are we doing something wrong with multicrew exploration? Is it worth it, for all players, for the data to sell or is only the helm? Besides the obvious combat, what multicrew setups are fun to do?

1) Trade your FdL in for a Mamba, which has multicrew seat and your wife can sit behind you being the Goose to your Maverick. Multicrew mining could also be a lot of fun with the AspX, if you're into that kind of thing.

2) You aren't doing anything wrong, it's just that multicrew doesn't really work all that well for some applications. Exploration in multicrew is one of those things that only sounds fun. You'd be better off getting two DBXs and wing exploring, honestly, because as part of a wing you share exploration data whereas in multicrew it only works if you cash out while you're still in the same ship iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
My first billion :toot:

First thing i'm doing when i feel comfortable stepping away from the goldrush is outfitting that mission/combat Krait Phantom i'm dreaming about and take revenge on pirates for a good long while.

Is the Mamba particularly good for anything? It looks FANTASTIC, but so few slots and kinda disappointing jumprange.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Dongattack posted:

First thing i'm doing when i feel comfortable stepping away from the goldrush is outfitting that mission/combat Krait Phantom i'm dreaming about and take revenge on pirates for a good long while.

Is the Mamba particularly good for anything? It looks FANTASTIC, but so few slots and kinda disappointing jumprange.

I love transferring my Mamba to any new station I get to that I want to bounty hunt out of. I don’t travel far in it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Yeah, for me it's:

Fly Asp X to station.
Pay to have Mamba shipped to me.
Have fun.

I'm still engineering my Mamba and it's got a fair bit of work to go but I'm enjoying it so far. I Tried a FDL but the offset cockpit annoyed me too much.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Blimpkin posted:

I love transferring my Mamba to any new station I get to that I want to bounty hunt out of. I don’t travel far in it.

Ah yeah, that's a good idea. I always forget that you can summon ships.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

The Mamba is fast and agile and will kill anything you point it at in serious style. It is hands down my favorite ship to fight in these days. It will pretty much ONLY fight, don't expect it to be good at piracy or anything because it ain't fitting cargo racks. It's got a very tight focus on murder.

I guess you could also explore ironically in one though?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
there's an Adder in my parking space and I'm not sure what to do about this

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

John F Bennett posted:

Exploring is just amazing, the things you see. I just found an undiscovered system halfway between Colonia and the bubble that has 3 water worlds. All for me.

While cruising down a neutron star highway towards Sag A*, I stopped at a neutron in a binary system with a G or K class star. The star had an ELW and 6, loving SIX terraforming candidates - 1 WW and 5 HMC. Unfortunately they had a discovery credit already, but no mapping credit yet. Who knows if I'll make it to Sag A* and then Colonia fast enough to claim it though.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What are some reasons to go to Colonia?

As for the guy in your parking space it seems to be a bug when stations fill up. It's best to pull out, cancel docking and request again.

I'm up to 350 million now. I think it's time to go get a cobra and rig it for mining but I don't feel like spending money yet. Still, 4 limpet collectors would be much better than 2.
What would be a step up from the Asp X miner?

EDIT: Also some mining advice-

If you're picking a planet close to one of the stations you're selling your void opals to be aware that its likely other players have mined out a substantial portion of the asteroids in those zones. Try and find something within 1-2 jumps and a close supercurise that has a large ring.
I'm at a planet that offers at least 2-3 void opal hot spots as well as some Cold Diamonds if I feel like switching it up. Then when you fly into the ring don't go straight for the way point. Instead pick a random spot towards the edge of the hotspot while still inside the general region. Now you have Megameters of unexplored asteroids to crack! Zigzag and work your way towards the waypoint knowing it would take you 24 hours to reach it at sublight speeds.

I might be wrong on this but apparently the asteroids are persistent so if someone zeroes in on the waypoint and blows up whats there you'll find nothing for yourself.

By the way.
What the heck does a Prison Colony want with Void Opals, Alexandrite and other precious space gems? Doesn't make sense...

Also how come players haven't set up ambushes to pirate the void opals everyone is unloading into darkwater?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 1, 2019

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm up to 350 million now. I think it's time to go get a cobra and rig it for mining but I don't feel like spending money yet. Still, 4 limpet collectors would be much better than 2.
What would be a step up from the Asp X miner?

I’ll answer your mining ship question. Get a Python or Krait MkII (depending if you want to carry an SLF). Have fun with the amount of optional slots you have. At 350mil you could even spend some time engineering it before needing to go back out to the rings.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Once I get home from my new years party, I'm gonna resume void mining.

My current assets are around 740 million, with around 150 million of that in liquid credits. I have an A Rated iCourier, Krait Mk II, and Anaconda (although the latter doesn't have military composites, only the mid tier hull).

I want to fit a Corvette, so what should I shoot for as far as credit target?

I suppose I could sell off the Anaconda, since the Krait can fill a good bit of the same multipurpose roles, or I could swap the Krait for a Python.

But I want to obliterate NPC Sidewinder bounties in RESs with a gigantic battleship.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I was exploring one of those "encoded emissions" sites and it was nothing but spaceship debris and loot. I was hoovering up the canisters when a large piece of wreckage floated by that looked just like the cockpit of what I'm flying, an Asp Explorer. :stonklol:

more like asp exploder :vince:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I used the AspX years ago for a long-distance smuggling gold rush, and I grew to hate flying it so much that I take tons of pleasure in smashing them at every opportunity. gently caress that bubbly piece of poo poo gently caress it gently caress it gently caress IT

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I noticed it's the Asp Explorer pilots who complain about heat while us Diamondback Explorer pilots are cool literally and figuratively

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
DBE pilots are stinky, every time i fly near one i deploy my stink detector and it goes "ppeeeuu smells like poor here" and i boost the gently caress away

G R O S S

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dongattack posted:

DBE pilots are stinky, every time i fly near one i deploy my stink detector and it goes "ppeeeuu smells like poor here" and i boost the gently caress away

G R O S S

sorry about my dirty drive tuning

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BattleMaster posted:

sorry about my dirty drive tuning

The one miss is not having dirty drives give you a black, smoky exhaust ala Reavers from Serenity. :pcgaming:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Annath posted:

Once I get home from my new years party, I'm gonna resume void mining.

My current assets are around 740 million, with around 150 million of that in liquid credits. I have an A Rated iCourier, Krait Mk II, and Anaconda (although the latter doesn't have military composites, only the mid tier hull).

I want to fit a Corvette, so what should I shoot for as far as credit target?

I suppose I could sell off the Anaconda, since the Krait can fill a good bit of the same multipurpose roles, or I could swap the Krait for a Python.

But I want to obliterate NPC Sidewinder bounties in RESs with a gigantic battleship.

Mine was right around 1 bil (before discount) I think, including the 400 mil armor. Rebuy is around 40 mil.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
You guys I’ve got my merits and have to wait just a week for packhounds. I’m irrationally excited for my anime missiles.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Blargh, 2 hours of flying through the asteroid field, and only 3 Alexandrite rocks. No opals at all.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I made my first visit to one of those nice stations that has all parks and greenery on the inside, and there was a simple courier job available for Colonia, 22k ly away... :stare:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What was the pay?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

John F Bennett posted:

What was the pay?

Terrible, I ran into three at 770k each.

E: I think mostly they're just signposts: "Hey, this is a thing you can do, but most of your cash will be from exploration data."

Dareon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 1, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

John F Bennett posted:

What was the pay?

Not enough to reach Colonia looking like this...

EDIT:

My home system is spawning loads of intra-system delivery missions for evacuation shelters. I've spent the morning flying back and forth carting these things around, wondering what the government knows that they aren't sharing with the citizens... :tinfoil:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 1, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Someone asked this earlier ITT and didn't get a response, but i'm curious too. Do you guys find that the "depleted" to "pristine" state of the gas giant/rings has any effect on Void Opal availability? In my limited experience at least it doesn't seem like it. The last day i have been mining Void Opals in a "depleted" ring and i have never found so many crackable VO asteroids so fast before.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Dongattack posted:

Someone asked this earlier ITT and didn't get a response, but i'm curious too. Do you guys find that the "depleted" to "pristine" state of the gas giant/rings has any effect on Void Opal availability? In my limited experience at least it doesn't seem like it. The last day i have been mining Void Opals in a "depleted" ring and i have never found so many crackable VO asteroids so fast before.

I don't know if it has any impact on core spawn rate, but my experience matched yours and I've assumed it was due to players flocking to the "good" systems. I've been mining in a "common reserve" system and my runs are fast and easy. The one time I used eddb to find a nearby "pristine" system none of the rings had any hot spots and there wasn't much to be found when I flew into the ring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, you know those batteries that you use every day in your phone, laptop, and other items? Congrats, that's part of a dead star (well, so is everything else, but this is more fun than most).

There's three major stellar populations, I, II, and III. Sol is considered a population I star, or "metal-rich". That means a non-trivial amount of its matter is not hydrogen or helium. Population II stars are "metal-poor", which still have metals in them, but not at the amounts that stars like our own sun show. Population III are "metal-free", hypothetical, and probably were as big as VY Canis Majoris while on the main sequence with a fraction of the life span. What's interesting is Population I stars have a higher amount of lithium than Population II. Lithium has 3 protons, or a hydrogen and helium stuck together. So one would think that it would be in relatively decent quantities in Population II stars. It's not, oddly enough.

The speculation as to why is as follows: Novas. Not supernovas, but a "classical nova". What happens is a white dwarf with a close companion may suck some matter off. Eventually this matter can heat to the point where it starts to fuse, and this blows this layer off the star in a bright explosion. The explosion can be bright enough to be seen from Earth, giving rise to the name "Stellar Nova", or "New Star". The name is ironic given that these come from white dwarfs, or dead stars :v:. About once a year or so, one of these will be visible from earth.

One of the more recent visible to the naked eye novas, V1369 Centauri, sadly not in game

V1369 Centauri is important from the perspective that it was the first nova to have detectable lithium in it. This supported the speculation that these novas are a producer of lithium in large quantities in our universe (mind you the amount produced here was super tiny comparatively, but that's splitting hairs).

If enough matter collects on the white dwarf's surface, the whole thing can go boom in an Type Ia supernova. Unlike previously stated by yours truly, it is highly unlikely that Sirius B will go supernova in this fashion, which means Qwent, unfortunately, is safe from death by supermassive thermonuclear bomb (not that he would be alive if such an event would happen anyway).

But, it does lead to some spectacular things. In 1006, people around the world observed a new star in our sky, roughly sixteen times brighter than Venus is to us. It was so bright, some claimed they could even see it in daylight. It lasted for several months before fading, then returning for longer. It's now known that this was a white dwarf going up in flames, potentially the merger of two, as no ejected companion could be found.

Boom

I don't know if SN 1006's remnant is in game though :smith:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
How far from a Hotspot is it recommended to pulse wave for cores? Within 10k, 15k, or closer?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

moolchaba posted:

How far from a Hotspot is it recommended to pulse wave for cores? Within 10k, 15k, or closer?

I drop as far as 2Mm away if it’s still in the spot.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Blimpkin posted:

Same, with the current gold rush the closer you drop towards the center the more likely it's already been hit and some of the crackables will be gone.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Blimpkin posted:

:hmmyes:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah start from the edge of the hotspot and move in towards the middle on dirty drives.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I think one of the issues there is that crackable asteroids are semipersistent. People head for all the pristine rings, mine out all the easily found (close to the hot spot) rocks, and leave the 'bad' rings you've been snooping through untouched.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I went exploring a bit and got myself 43M credits selling my data. If I wanted to get some mining done, what would be my best "starting kit" (considering ship and upgrades) with that money?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I went exploring a bit and got myself 43M credits selling my data. If I wanted to get some mining done, what would be my best "starting kit" (considering ship and upgrades) with that money?

Quick and dirty, but give this a shot.

https://s.orbis.zone/1j4r

It's within your price range and can crack cores easily enough. Try to make sure all your abrasion blasters hit the outcroppings.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
You can kit out an Asp X for mining for less than 10 mil and make your investment back in less than an hour.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Quick and dirty, but give this a shot.

https://s.orbis.zone/1j4r

It's within your price range and can crack cores easily enough. Try to make sure all your abrasion blasters hit the outcroppings.

I'd drop the second collector limpet controller for a DSS to snoop out hotspots but yeah, that's pretty much how my Asp is setup except I don't bother with subsurface missiles.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
:doh:

Yeah you'd want a DSS and the subsurface missiles are more or less worthless but, I don't know, maybe you'd want the full ~mining experience~ or whatever. I enjoy shooting them at rocks but I wouldn't pretend that it was worth it in terms of effort vs space dollars.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
I posted it further up thread but I really do like the subsurface missile mini game, it just takes away time from finding the next crackable rock is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So I spoke to soon. There's pirates in Stopover now. It's so easy to get out of an NPC interdiction but it seems if a player interdicts you there's no way out of it and they can just continue to re-interdict you even if you escape... Doesn't seem fair.
Lost 14 void opals to this rear end in a top hat.