Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Venomous posted:

WMOTYC: Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose, WWE Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2018, 12/16

this match loving sucked and it really shouldn't have sucked. What the gently caress happened to Seth this year?

100% agree. This match was utter bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i don't care how it goes from this point, MOTY: Becky vs Charlotte vs Asuka, WWE TLC 12/16/18

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC: Becky Lynch (C) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka in a Triple Threat Tables, Ladders & Chairs match for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE TLC 12/16

loving perfection.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Becky Lynch (C) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka in a Triple Threat Tables, Ladders & Chairs match for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE TLC 12/16

loving perfection.

Seconded. Unbelievable.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Jerusalem posted:

loving perfection.

Nth

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Jerusalem posted:

loving perfection.

I'm in.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: Becky Lynch (C) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka in a Triple Threat Tables, Ladders & Chairs match for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE TLC 12/16

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

loving perfection.

Yep. Could have done without the Rousey interference, but it makes sense.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

loving perfection.

nth

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Dango Bango posted:

Yep. Could have done without the Rousey interference, but it makes sense.

They teased it earlier in the show, it makes sense, and it didn't cause the loss to really hurt either of them. It's almost like it wasn't booked by a WWE writer.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

loving perfection.

nth

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Jerusalem posted:

loving perfection.

:yeah:

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Infidel Castro posted:

They teased it earlier in the show, it makes sense, and it didn't cause the loss to really hurt either of them. It's almost like it wasn't booked by a WWE writer.

Foreshadowed, and will lead to more at the appropriate time. Very unlike wwe is right

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC Aramis vs Eterno, Mask vs hair Lucha Memes 10/21.

One of the best matches of the year in any country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHNaJoRAis&t=4739s

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

2nd

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Final Korakuen Hall of 2018, 12/18.

HM: Flamita & Bandido vs. PAC & Daga
Sloppy in the beginning but then turned into nothing but amazing high spots the match.

HM: Doi Darts 2018 Special Ten Man Tag Team Match: Dragon Kid, K-ness., Ben-K, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, & KAI vs. Yuki Yoshioka, BxB Hulk, “brother” YASSHI, Naruki Doi, & Dragon Dia

The three way tag was also real fun but not nomination worthy.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HM: Dragon Lee vs. DJZ - MLW Fusion Live 12-14-18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIrNFktJA8&t=1396s

HM: Rush vs. Rich Swann - MLW Fusion Live 12-14-18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIrNFktJA8&t=2272s

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

KungFu Grip posted:

cobb vs hangman motyc

zsj vs gresham hm

late but nth just in case they didn't get their noms

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate 2018

HM: Daga vs Masaaki Mochizuki
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Champion Team 4 Way Decision Match - YAMATO & Kagetora vs. Big R Shimizu & Ben-K vs. Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs. Flamita & Bandido

Match of the Year, Big R did a goddamn flip.

Fell asleep during the main event, will have to go back and watch it again.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HM: Brody King vs. PCO - MLW Fusion Christmas Day Special - 12/25/18 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0VwITWXdHs&t=133s

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

3rd

Jenkem Delivery posted:

HM: Dragon Lee vs. DJZ - MLW Fusion Live 12-14-18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIrNFktJA8&t=1396s

2nd

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Orange Cassidy vs Kikutaro, GCW The Dynasty
MOTYC: PCO vs Masato Tanaka, GCW The Dynasty

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Any possible last minute additions to the year's motyc/HM lists?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: BOSS To Mammy (Mio Momono & Yumi Ohka) (c) vs. Sakura Hirota & Yuki Miyazaki @ WAVE Phase 1 Final ~Kick Out~, 12/29

Just a wonderful tag title match with good wrestling action and funny comedy antics.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

HM: BOSS To Mammy (Mio Momono & Yumi Ohka) (c) vs. Sakura Hirota & Yuki Miyazaki @ WAVE Phase 1 Final ~Kick Out~, 12/29

Just a wonderful tag title match with good wrestling action and funny comedy antics.

I'll second this but I'm not sure when it'll make tape with the Wave network on hiatus

HM: Go Shiozaki vs. Konosuke Takeshita - DDT D-Oh Grand Prix 2019 Final (12/30)

They had a really tough spot following what looked like but fortunately wasn't a very serious injury to Naomi Yoshimura that forced the show to take an unplanned intermission as paramedics worked on Naomi but they got the crowd into the match

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

2nd both of these

Edit: everyone needs to watch PCO vs Tanaka because godfucking drat did it deliever

YourHumbleMessiah fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 31, 2018

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

HM: Kylie Rae vs Kris Stadtlander, WWR Tournament For Tomorrow 12.30.2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

3rd

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

2nd both of these

Edit: everyone needs to watch PCO vs Tanaka because godfucking drat did it deliever

IMO the Orange Cassidy match is a more surefire hit with this forum.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I need to add the last few nominations and write up the next thread hopefully sometime tomorrow, this thread will remain open as a catchall until I can get that done. Happy New Year everybody! :)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
IS IT TOO LATE TO NOMINATE ORANGE CASSIDY VS HOT SAUCE TRACY WILLIAMS FOR THE INDEPENDENT CHAMPIONSHIP FROM BEYOND HEAVY LIES THE CROWN FROM 12/31 FOR MOTYC? IF IT IS THEN HELLO NEW THREAD

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I'm willing to hold off and make the first MOTYC nomination of 2019 an Orange Cassidy match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anything up till midnight of 12/31 is valid for this 2018 thread. Anything after that is for the 2019 thread (coming as soon as I have a chance to do it AND the final monthly Champ poll for 2018).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Before the thread closes for the new year, I want to give this another mention since Disco just released the match online:

Venomous posted:

HM: Joe Coffey (c) vs. Christopher Saynt (Y Division Championship), Discovery Wrestling Live, 2/9

The House of Saynt are the biggest pieces of poo poo in Scotland and Joe Coffey is the greatest wrestler in Scotland. I booed myself hoarse at Saynt, and there was so much interference but it didn’t feel overbooked, it felt loving scary and brilliant and it only misses out on MOTYC status because the interference won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I loved it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZndfiojDkhI

Rewatching it now it’s just as wonderful as it was when I saw it live and I highly recommend everyone give this a shot, especially since Joe Coffey’s gonna beat Pete Dunne for the WWE UK belt in a couple of weeks

e: wee bit of context btw: Mark Coffey’s tag partner cancelled on him before the show, and when he couldn’t find another in the back, he was forced into a handicap match against the Kings of the North. Joe Coffey saved him, but while he was out there, Christopher Saynt appeared at the top of the ramp and stole the Y Division title. Joe’s still the champ here.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 1, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

HM: Brody King vs. PCO - MLW Fusion Christmas Day Special - 12/25/18 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0VwITWXdHs&t=133s

How did PCO not break his hip on that totally non cushioned balcony dive onto concrete?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

How did PCO not break his hip on that totally non cushioned balcony dive onto concrete?

He's not human

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The OP has been updated for the final time (barring any mistakes in counting/typos that may be brought to my attention). I will try to get the new thread up before Wrestle Kingdom, if it isn't up in time post your nominations in here and I'll count them when I make the new one.

Because the last two years of wrestling have been arguably the densest for great matches in over a generation, I want to adjust the number of nominations required to make the list - please comment on whether you think this is a good or bad idea!

I am thinking:

MOTYC - 7 votes required
WMOTYC - 5 votes required
HM - 5 votes required

STATS:

Matches of the Year:
110 Total Matches
New Japan – 54 (includes 1xGreat Pirate Festival and 2x RevPro/NJPW Joint Shows)
NXT – 12
CMLL - 10
WWE – 9 (21 including NXT)
AJPW - 4
DDT – 3
ALL IN – 2
OTT – 2
1 vote: AAA , BJW, Evolve, GCW, Impact, Joey Janela’s Spring Break, Kenta Kobashi Produce, Michinoku Pro Wrestling, Riki Choshu Produce, ROH, Tokyo Joshi Pro, Tokyo Sendai Girls, Stardom & WWN.

Worst Matches of the Year:
33 Total Matches
WWE – 19
AAA - 3
ROH - 2
IWRG – 2
Matt Riddle’s Bloodsport – 2
1 Vote: CMLL, CZW, MLW, NWA & New Japan (CEOxNJPW Co-Promotion)

Honorable Mentions:
182 Total Matches
New Japan – 65 (1 co-promoted with CEO)
WWE – 37 (47 including NXT)
CMLL – 17
NXT – 10
Impact – 5 (2 shared with Lucha Underground)
WWN – 5
AJPW - 3
ALL IN – 3
GCW - 3
ROH - 3
DDT – 2
Evolve - 2
IWRG – 2
Lucha Underground – 2 (shared with Impact)
Stardom – 2
1 Vote: AAA, Beyond Americanrana, Joey Janela’s Springbreak, Lucha Memes, Matt Riddle’s Bloodsport, MDA, MLW, Oz Academy, Rev Pro, Shimmer, Tokyo Joshi Pro, Triple W & WHAT

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 4, 2019

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Adjustments to nominations is good. I like the proposed changes.

Also, I think people adjusting expectations is a good idea, too. At the way things are going, you really need to be thinking like 4.75 or higher to have a MotY contender.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I understand the urge to winnow down the final list, but I think the MOTY category is the only one that really needs adjustment to reflect a more competitive field. The HM list can afford to be big and shaggy, it's mostly a list of recommendations, but if we use the MOTY list as the Pagodies (Rowdies?) nomination shortlist, it should be tighter.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it doesnt make any sense to have separate nominations for best and kinda sorta best