Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lmao if you aren't spearfishing in BOTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lightning arrow fishing has been my go to but now that I know about bombing while gliding I think I’ll have a go with that for a while.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Empress Brosephine posted:

Re we going into another drought with games with the switch or anything big or good coming out soon?

If everything Nintendo has announced comes out 2019 we have a pretty stacked rear end year ahead of us with Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Metroid, Bayo, Machina and more.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Thinking about getting an ethernet adapter because Smash is laggy sometimes. Is the official Nintendo dongle the one to go with or would any old one do? I remember at least one goon in this thread having compatibility issues with their not-Nintendo one.

If by official you mean the Hori ones (officially licensed), then yeah I got one and it works well for me.

But keep in mind that using a LAN adapter warms up your Switch when it's in sleep mode (apparently it's a bug and it didn't happen until version 5.0, or so I read). It's probably not a big deal but you still may wanna unplug it when not in use.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JBP posted:

I'm extremely relieved that I'm not going to be on the grapple, metal boots, whatever else train as other Zelda games and the way everything interacts is incredible. If I'd not assumed this game was like the others I would have bought a switch at launch. I never want to play another "classic" Zelda game. I've played like 8 of them now.

The next game is gonna have all those things.

Maybe even will be good for a change of pace

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got that sega genesis collection and had a quick look earlier and saw it had an online mode. Anyone tried it and if so how is it? Can I play Streets of Rage and Toejam & Earl with online strangers or is it just a leaderboard type deal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The next game is gonna have all those things.

Maybe even will be good for a change of pace

I'm ok with the next one having more of those elements in it, but I'm glad botw is what it is. If they mash the two together a bit I'll be interested.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elman posted:

If by official you mean the Hori ones (officially licensed), then yeah I got one and it works well for me.

Nintendo manufactures/sells their own too. Looks like the only place to get them is from their online store. That's where I got my Wii one.

I tried looking for the Hori ones but they're $175 on Amazon (:psyduck:) and are out of stock at all but one of my local stores.

Elman posted:

But keep in mind that using a LAN adapter warms up your Switch when it's in sleep mode (apparently it's a bug and it didn't happen until version 5.0, or so I read). It's probably not a big deal but you still may wanna unplug it when not in use.

Good to know, thanks.

Edit: the last references to this I can find are about six months ago and recent posts show people aren't experiencing it anymore. I guess it has been fixed?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 2, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

For anyone who has anxiety BOTW is amazing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JBP posted:

I'm ok with the next one having more of those elements in it, but I'm glad botw is what it is. If they mash the two together a bit I'll be interested.

I mean yeah it’s not something I like but I’m fine with it, but your crazy if you think Zelda is done with the poo poo it made iconic.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

For anyone who has anxiety BOTW is amazing
Just don't let a guardian see you. Even when they aren't a threat anymore, the sound effects are stress-inducing. I have the same kind of response to that sound as when I hear an alarm clock go off.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Re we going into another drought with games with the switch or anything big or good coming out soon?

Next week we get Onimusha, New Super Mario Bros. U and Tales of Vesperia. :Ports: , but I never played them before so hey~

edit: and on the 18th we get Travis Strikes Again.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 2, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Inferior Third Season posted:

Just don't let a guardian see you. Even when they aren't a threat anymore, the sound effects are stress-inducing. I have the same kind of response to that sound as when I hear an alarm clock go off.

tweetweetwetwetwetwtwtwtw duhnahnahnahNAHnah duhnahnanaNAHnah kaPEW

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Inferior Third Season posted:

I love playing as stealthy as possible and making a game out of sneaking around them without them noticing, but yeah I totally agree

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 2, 2019

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Heath posted:

tweetweetwetwetwetwtwtwtw duhnahnahnahNAHnah duhnahnanaNAHnah kaPEW
:sweatdrop:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I use the Guardian battle music as my alarm clock tone.

It is believed that we'll get a Nintendo Direct this month.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give me Virtual-On using the Joy-Cons for ARMS-style virtual sticks, dammit!
Labo twin sticks!

I would buy Labo if they did some Sega arcade pack. They already got fishing (Sega Bass/Marine Fishing), wheel (Outrun, Super GT, Daytona, Crazy Taxi), flight stick (Afterburner, Galaxy Force), and motorcycle (Hang-On, Manx TT, LA Riders). Just toss in some Sega stickers using the arcade art.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the Darker Side of the Moon isn't the hardest mario super-stage i've played by a long shot but it's so long, i just get worn down by attrition over time

just need to get through that stupid moving platform section with the billion spiny colorful dudes

This was some serious bullshit and I feel like something Nintendo and/or games in general has been doing lately as an excuse for difficulty. Long sections with no checkpoints aren't difficult. Just tedious.

In BotW if you go straight for Ganon without beating the Beasts you have to boss rush the other dudes. Which isn't necessarily hard if you know how to fight them. But that somehow counts as a challenge today.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is happening in Lumines when the game says "pass" and moves my block dropper to the left or right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This was some serious bullshit and I feel like something Nintendo and/or games in general has been doing lately as an excuse for difficulty. Long sections with no checkpoints aren't difficult. Just tedious.

In BotW if you go straight for Ganon without beating the Beasts you have to boss rush the other dudes. Which isn't necessarily hard if you know how to fight them. But that somehow counts as a challenge today.

just finished it, that was a very sweet ending

still nowhere near as bad as the Champion's Road in 3D World, i still get trauma flashbacks watching videos of that thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Daemon x Machina and Travis Strikes Again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bongo Bill posted:

It is believed that we'll get a Nintendo Direct this month.

By whom and why? We might get a game specific Direct, but for the past couple years Nintendo has done big directs in March, not January

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

the yoshi game is probably coming out in a few weeks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh poo poo, Steins;Gate comes out next month!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxxidation posted:

just finished it, that was a very sweet ending

still nowhere near as bad as the Champion's Road in 3D World, i still get trauma flashbacks watching videos of that thing

I could only beat that with Rosalina after like 100 tries. I’m tempted to go back and do it with the other 4 characters but I’m waiting to see if we get a Switch port first.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's one of the last levels in the game, beating it without checkpoints is the whole point.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How do these challenge levels compare to the "one hit and your dead" gauntlet at the end of Mario Galaxy 2? I was able to beat that one eventually but not without losing a piece of my sanity (and like four hours of my life).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

How do these challenge levels compare to the "one hit and your dead" gauntlet at the end of Mario Galaxy 2? I was able to beat that one eventually but not without losing a piece of my sanity (and like four hours of my life).

the one in Odyssey is extremely gentle by that standard, you're given a ton of health powerups throughout the stage (which don't help against bottomless pits, but there are surprisingly few of those)

also Mario is just so much more nimble in Odyssey that there's a limit to how much bullshit the game can throw at you, new skills like the midair dive and Cappy throw give you unprecedented control over fine-tuning your jumps or just straight-up skipping aggravating portions of a stage

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 2, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's honestly probably the easiest "ultimate" stage that has been showing up in the Mario games since Galaxy 2 started that trend.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I got maybe one moon in the Odyssey post-game. I should probably pick that up again, one of these days

(e) No that's a lie, I did a fair chunk of Mushroom Kingdom

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think I got maybe one moon in the Odyssey post-game. I should probably pick that up again, one of these days

I played Odyssey for the first time since April yesterday. I collected 20+ post game moons. It was glorious. Nintendo makes fun games. Go back and get those those moons!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all the promo material put so much focus on stuff like the transformations and new donk city that i totally overlooked the changes in how mario himself handles

odyssey was probably the first time i actually enjoyed controlling mario since the games went 3D, in all the others the floaty imprecision of everything drove me bonkers

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's one of the last levels in the game, beating it without checkpoints is the whole point.

I don't know. To beat a platformer you just need to practice till you get it perfectly. That's just how the game is played. It's annoying to be good at the beginning and then gently caress up ten minutes into it consistently at the same place. All you need to do is practice it, but it takes so long to get there that you don't even want to bother.

An example of difficulty done well is Celeste, where the hard levels are hard and if they're longer it's not notorious. Checkpoints remain and are used before every new part, making the endeavor no less harder but far more endurable.

Or just contrast the Path of Pain in Hollow Knight, a long slog that can easily gently caress you up at its end if you're not ready, versus the final boss, which heals you right before that fight meaning you can throw caution to the end before it knowing you will at least go in with full health.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ciaphas posted:

I got about half of the total moons. For some reason I just cannot do the jumps where you gotta throw your cap out and bounce off it a couple times to cross some gaps. That trick is required to win some of turtle races.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know. To beat a platformer you just need to practice till you get it perfectly. That's just how the game is played. It's annoying to be good at the beginning and then gently caress up ten minutes into it consistently at the same place. All you need to do is practice it, but it takes so long to get there that you don't even want to bother.

This is just going to be one of those things where I'm not sure you'll change my mind and I probably won't change yours. The point of that level specifically is to be an endurance run where you have to do it all "perfectly" in one go and to add check points completely undercuts that. I am not saying there isn't room for both but in this instance I think the choice they made was the correct one.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

There's so much post game content in Odyssey, it's nuts.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Frankston posted:

I got that sega genesis collection and had a quick look earlier and saw it had an online mode. Anyone tried it and if so how is it? Can I play Streets of Rage and Toejam & Earl with online strangers or is it just a leaderboard type deal.

It's both leader board and online multiplayer.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Any news if Tetris Effect will get ported to switch? It sounds like the perfect way to spend a lunch break at work.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

A Sometimes Food posted:

TP had such good items that were loving all like this.

The spinner, the twinshot (the best implementation of hookshots ever), the ball and chain, the statue rod thing.

The fishing rod. Next Zelda better have an in depth fishing game.

They brought back Rollgoal in BotW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SardonicTyrant posted:

Any news if Tetris Effect will get ported to switch? It sounds like the perfect way to spend a lunch break at work.

Not likely.