Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Or did the woman take a pic of a mirror

Im loving confounded by this

e:

Jamsta posted:

im the can of energy drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

drgitlin posted:

Weird. I thought that was actually a pretty good quarter for them.

hah

good news is bad news and bad news is good news, don't you know?

man you'd never make it on the markets

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shageletic posted:

e:

The front facing camera mirrors things...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

down 7% premarket

They apparently met their own guidance but not wall street concensus analyst numbers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/31/tesla-4q-2018-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

tesla PR posted:

Production in Q4 grew to 86,555 vehicles, 8% more than our prior all-time high in Q3. This included:

61,394 Model 3 vehicles, in line with our guidance and 15% more than Q3.
25,161 Model S and X vehicles, consistent with our long-term run rate of approximately 100,000 per year.

Q4 deliveries grew to 90,700 vehicles, which was 8% more than our prior all time-high in Q3. This included 63,150 Model 3 (13% growth over Q3), 13,500 Model S, and 14,050 Model X vehicles.

cnbc posted:

The company delivered 8 percent more vehicles during the quarter, a new all-time high, but the numbers were fewer than expected by Wall Street. The company said it delivered 63,150 Model 3s, 13,500 Model S sedans and 14,050 Model X SUVs. Wall Street analysts had forecast 64,900 Model 3 deliveries, 14,200 for the Model S and 13,600 for the Model X, according to average estimates of nine analysts compiled by FactSet

Wall street is weird.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Shageletic posted:

e:
selfie cameras take photos of mirror images

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Teal posted:

hah

good news is bad news and bad news is good news, don't you know?

man you'd never make it on the markets

No, that’s why I write about cars.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

selfie cameras take photos of mirror images

what no they dont, they show a mirror image on the screen so you can line up the shot and then take a regular picture

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GabeHoff/status/1080468890830946305?s=19

inshallah, inshallah, inshallah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The front facing camera mirrors things...

Oh there goes my infinitely more interesting theory that Elon switches anime shirts based on mood

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Wall street is weird.

The people that work in wall street don't even understand it, but that's how all ponzi schemes work

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

what no they dont, they show a mirror image on the screen so you can line up the shot and then take a regular picture

It's that or Musk mirrored his shirt using secret tech

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

They apparently met their own guidance but not wall street concensus analyst numbers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/31/tesla-4q-2018-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

Wall street is weird.

I think they were all waiting for q4 news to sell off on a high note, since the end of the credits probably spells bad times ahead. They didn't account for everyone else doing the same thing.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-tesla-life-inside-gigafactory/

quote:

At about 10 o’clock on Saturday evening, an angry Musk was examining one of the production line’s mechanized modules, trying to figure out what was wrong, when the young, excited engineer was brought over to assist him.

“Hey, buddy, this doesn’t work!” Musk shouted at the engineer, according to someone who heard the conversation. “Did you do this?”

The engineer was taken aback. He had never met Musk before. Musk didn’t even know the engineer’s name. The young man wasn’t certain what, exactly, Musk was asking him, or why he sounded so angry.

“You mean, program the robot?” the engineer said. “Or design that tool?”

“Did you loving do this?” Musk asked him.

“I’m not sure what you’re referring to?” the engineer replied apologetically.

“You’re a loving idiot!” Musk shouted back. “Get the gently caress out and don’t come back!”

The young engineer climbed over a low safety barrier and walked away. He was bewildered by what had just happened. The entire conversation had lasted less than a minute. A few moments later, his manager came over to say that he had been fired on Musk’s orders, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The engineer was shocked. He’d been working so hard. He was set to get a review from his manager the next week, and had been hearing only positive things. Instead, two days later, he signed his separation papers.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
He should have head-butted the robot in a show of strength to earn the Musk's respect

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The loss of credits is likely a big reason why. Hold till numbers get released and sell at the highpoint. The cars are way to much money and people were relying on the tax credit was Wall streets view. Then likely they see the writing on the wall with the debt issues.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ShriekingMarxist posted:

jesus christ this is a 20 word neil strauss novel

edit

CHARLES STROSS

not neil strauss wtf

That’s exactly why he stopped writing near-future sci-fi.
poo poo started happening before he’d publish a book.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I thought that was William Gibson

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Musk, though, had other concerns. “What’s that smell?” he asked. Everyone went silent. They knew Musk was so sensitive to odors that job candidates were told not to wear cologne or perfume when they met him. They had seen him become upset over small issues like this, had observed him attack executives for their incompetence and inabilities. One person explained that there were vats of liquid silicon nearby. When heated, it sometimes smelled like burning plastic.

These vapors were going to kill people, Musk said. They were going to kill him.

This from the man who got hotboxed in a podcast studio with the premiere peformative weed smoker who also looks like he's sweating 24/7.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

That whole article is a fascinating look into the mind of a mad man. I lived/worked in NYC for many years and had high functioning psychopath bosses exactly like that. Despite the extremely high turnover and non-existant employee morale, they were allowed to stay as long as the numbers stayed solid. They were praised as tough as nail geniuses. Problem was when the numbers started to slide it was usually exponentially bad and the losses were worse than the gains. Unsurprisingly they were let go and everyone left scratching their heads wondering who ever put someone so clinically crazy in charge. Until the insane genius got hired to bring up the numbers again...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

“I could go and buy one of the islands in the Bahamas and, uh, turn it into my personal fiefdom,” he told reporters in 1999 as they observed him taking delivery of a $1 million McLaren F1 sports car. “But I’m much more interested in trying to build and create a new company.” (Musk later crashed the car.)

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he crashed that car same day and peter thiel was riding shotgun without a seatbelt

iirc he said that he regretted not having purchased insurance for it yet

and thiel mentioned in an interview years later that he still doesn't like wearing a seatbelt

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Current price of a McLaren F1 is at least $15 million, probably closer to $20 million now.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he crashed that car same day and peter thiel was riding shotgun without a seatbelt

iirc he said that he regretted not having purchased insurance for it yet

and thiel mentioned in an interview years later that he still doesn't like wearing a seatbelt

broke: wearing a seatbelt
woke: total blood transfusions

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

loving Musk can't even kill Thiel right. Christ.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
spell out crush car culture with the first letter of each line in your next article drgitlin

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My favorite Musk thing is how he's simultaneously the most busy man on the planet but also manages to ~sooooomehow~ have exactly the same interests, obsessions and mannerisms as every whitebread neo-nerd who watches TV and plays videogames all day and then posts about it on the internet all night.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

Wall street is weird.

part of the problem is that musk’s guidance is pretty worthless, so analysts are unlikely to give it much credence in their models. here’s this famous piece of the Q2 2017 conference call:

“ol’ musky” posted:

What people should absolutely have zero concern about, and I mean 0, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000 unit production week by the end of next year [2018]... I think people should really not have any concerns that we won’t reach that outcome from a production rate.

they didn’t come anywhere close.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My favorite Musk thing is how he's simultaneously the most busy man on the planet but also manages to ~sooooomehow~ have exactly the same interests, obsessions and mannerisms as every whitebread neo-nerd who watches TV and plays videogames all day and then posts about it on the internet all night.

well you see if you simply count every hour that you're awake as working because, obviously since you're the ceo you're thinking about it and that's work, you too can hit 110 hours of labor each workweek and be viewed as a beacon of work ethic

however musky only claims a 90 hour workweek "except during crunches" so that's like 2-3 whole hours a day he can rest his enormous brain for anime and gaming (obviously his private plane commute counts as work)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
LOL, nope, something completely unrelated.

drgitlin has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Jan 2, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

that's more of a journalism thing than a Musk thing

he's very obviously lying, but they just take him at his word

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I too count travel, exercise and personal appointments as part of my work week

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Main Paineframe posted:

that's more of a journalism thing than a Musk thing

he's very obviously lying, but they just take him at his word

To me the big tell is that he always sounds like the ultimate version of the fraud manager who thinks being a big performative mess and doing things like making a huge scene of everytime he fires someone will make it so no one notices he does nothing all day. We already know he's not an engineer and the Rogan interview confirms he's not even a competent wannabe.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

so that's like 20 hours of stuff that you could even consider work, and you know those meetings are just circlejerk sessions

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ah, yes, I frequently get to add my miscellaneous hours to my punch card.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
"I'M WORKING ALONE" I shout to my nosy wife as I'm loving my secretary.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Elon probably goes through the "I definitely didn't see you playing with your dolls again, sir" Spaceballs scene like twice a day.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"business meals" yes having 50 dollar steak dinners on company dime how horrible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

"business meals" yes having 50 dollar steak dinners on company dime how horrible

wow your company is cheap

(or you're not very important)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can only manage about 1:15 in poops a week. I really need to start taking an afternoon dump to really get the numbers I am capable of