Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/V7VxGn7Piew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Rinkles posted:

care to elaborate?

shite combat,shite quests,boring graphics,insta-death that rivals Fallout 1,just all around crap.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Penpal posted:

I interpreted it as 100 hours spent designing the 3D model in software, like a sculptor working magic on a block of marble, not how long it took for one nuka dark bottle to actually print

but it's not like I care much either way

That would make it worse

There’s no loving way someone spent 100 hours modeling a Nuka bottle unless they were learning how to use computers and the software, and possibly the English language

I suppose they mean with the 3d printing and testing time, sure, but there’s YouTube tutorials where absolute beginners can learn how to make a Coca Cola bottle in 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqcY2f6u2A

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

shite combat,shite quests,boring graphics,insta-death that rivals Fallout 1,just all around crap.

So is there a specific reason people in this thread are incapable of expressing opinions more intricate than "it bad!"?

Rinkles posted:

care to elaborate?

My experience with underrail was that it had a decently strong opening, but lost coherence towards the midgame, where I pretty much lost interest and quit.

The combat system itself isn't bad, but encounters are overtuned and the general game balance feels like it's meant for minmaxers rather than general players. Due to how stealth mechanics work, certain sections will become brick walls full of effectively random death zones if your perception isn't high enough, courtesy of either traps or sneaky enemies.

I did like the crafting system, but it also felt a little too much complexity for what it offered, but fans of the game say you can manage just fine without it; I haven't tried going back since my first attempt. It's also got an "Oddity" mode where you get XP for finding poo poo instead of killing things that I thought was cool.

Overall, I do think it's well made enough to be worth a look, but I'd suggest watching a let's play first to see if it looks appealing, and I'd definitely check for build guides rather than trying to freestyle it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Keeshhound posted:

My experience with underrail was that it had a decently strong opening, but lost coherence towards the midgame, where I pretty much lost interest and quit.

The combat system itself isn't bad, but encounters are overtuned and the general game balance feels like it's meant for minmaxers rather than general players. Due to how stealth mechanics work, certain sections will become brick walls full of effectively random death zones if your perception isn't high enough.

I did like the crafting system, but it also felt a little too much complexity for what it offered, but fans of the game say you can manage just fine without it; I haven't tried going back since my first attempt. It's also got an "Oddity" mode where you get XP for finding poo poo instead of killing things that I thought was cool.

Overall, I do think it's well made enough to be worth a look, but I'd suggest watching a let's play first to see if it looks appealing, and I'd definitely check for build guides rather than trying to freestyle it.

ty

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

sharknado slashfic posted:

I found this out and was very happy. Although I have 12 settlers and 10 food now.

Yeah, that'll happen. Just make sure you're good on defense and it should slowly correct itself.

You can also donate that pile of four dozen Fancy Lads snack cakes directly to the settlement manager desk so your settlers will eat it instead of picking something random from workshop storage.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I cannot for the life of me understand why they wouldn't allow junk wall items to clip so that they could actually be placed beside each other.

I just want to make a wall around my water purifier puddle. :argh:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

*Guy clips two walls together F76*

Power goes out at Bethesda HQ as they prepare for the backup generators to kick in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
New Vegas is great as all hell, I haven't played it since it was new and it holds up super well. Especially because the dialog isn't Bethesda's.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ASenileAnimal posted:

lmao im geniunely impressed they managed to gently caress up this bad. was eso this bad at launch? cause i played it a few months ago and it was pretty fun

ESO sucked real bad yeah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don't be tricked, they never actually fixed ESO and it still plays exactly like a bargain-bin-rear end MMO

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it was definitely much worse regardless of how one views it now

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

care to elaborate?

The game is extremely buggy and crashes a lot with no fix in sight since it's creators abandon the game as soon as it was released.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Aren't the developers making a DLC expansion? Possibly there'll be a patch along with it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Underrail is very old school in that if you dont have a specific build in mind and just do a jack of all trades character you will end up hosed during the mid-late game.

This takes several weeks to discover. The writing isnt much to talk about either, though there are one or two gems.

If you like tinkering with stupidly obscure skill systems where you wont have the chance to understand their value or downsides til much much later, (i.e. developing an insanely overpowered psionic character, only to run into late game only psionic immune enemies :v ) then uh, this game may be for you?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you like tinkering with stupidly obscure skill systems where you wont have the chance to understand their value or downsides til much much later, (i.e. developing an insanely overpowered psionic character, only to run into late game only psionic immune enemies :v ) then uh, this game may be for you?

Ah the NWN/Third Edition D&D school of game design.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ah the NWN/Third Edition D&D school of game design.

please enjoy this longsword that you need to hit a high AC boss with to finish the game, with your caster BAB

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

The game is extremely buggy and crashes a lot with no fix in sight since it's creators abandon the game as soon as it was released.

There was an update to their experimental branch only 2 weeks ago

What the gently caress is it with this thread and people just obsessed with making poo poo up

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Because most MMOs have a faster update turnaround tbh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They've promised to add player vendors soon, btw. Or are working on it, anyway.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Because most MMOs have a faster update turnaround tbh

Underrail is not an mmo

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is definitely the part that sours most people, I think; I don't mind fiddling with build systems (although the way the game will just spring poo poo on you to gently caress you over is horseshit), so for me it was more that the writing never really rose above being serviceable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KakerMix posted:

New Vegas is great as all hell, I haven't played it since it was new and it holds up super well. Especially because the dialog isn't Bethesda's.

Something I've noticed on my latest playthrough is that the language most wastelanders speak is English except it has actually changed somewhat in 200 years. Most people in the game tend to drop the determiners from sentences, which makes a lot of the less educated people sound kind of like Rorschach. Vault Dwellers, Boomers and the Brotherhood are direct descendants of prewar America so their language is more developed compared to the simplified English wastelanders speak.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

There was an update to their experimental branch only 2 weeks ago

What the gently caress is it with this thread and people just obsessed with making poo poo up

gently caress you, last time I check up on the game several years ago they hadn't so much as made a new dev blog in over a year and a half.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

My settlers keep disappearing and I have two phantom supply lines. It sure feels like the settlement building in FO4 was half-baked at best.

How could they not even give an indication where the provisioners are from? This kind of poo poo should be possible to tweak on your pipboy. Maybe I will start naming guns to indicate which provisioner I am dealing with.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I just finished replaying Fallout 2 and folks.. it's good

some things I noticed for the first time

-The .44 Magnum is insanely powerful and same for the .223 pistol. I completely ignored those before
-Bonus rate of fire plus fast shot plus sniper is ridiculous. Also Bonus Move was a really fun addition to combat. My first playthrough I used the Skilled trait and also took the dumbest perks possible.
-I hate Marcus and left him to rot in the military base after he annihilated me with a burst for the third time
-I had no idea how much of the game could be done without mowing down everything in your way (like the Enclave). I still slaughtered Metzger when I was wildly over equipped for it
-You can use steal on your allies to quickly access their inventory. Holy poo poo
-New Reno was awesome with a walkthrough to help me figure out what the hell was going on there. Also Myron's dialogue is really gross with a female player character.

Also I've been playing with the default GoG version and it apparently has some mods (Sfall and a high res option) included which I'm just now realizing the extent of.

The game is so good, gat dang

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallout 2 is indeed awesome. But you know what's better than those guns?

No guns. :getin:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I played F2 for the first time in a few years and tried a Louisville Slugger-only build for the first time, it ruled

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Melee has been a strong option in every Fallout game I've played. In Tactics it was especially handy for taking out sentries quietly, which made some missions significantly easier. At the moment I'm playing through a heavily modded Fallout 4 and my character is a deranged frontiersman who uses a flaming chainsaw. It's spectacular.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

10 Luck Jinxed Unarmed only build is the best build in Fallout 2.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

gently caress you, last time I check up on the game several years ago they hadn't so much as made a new dev blog in over a year and a half.

Not my fault you can't check a steam page

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It would be cool if you could plan routes for your provisioners and get missions to clear out raider blockades or run security for your supply routes instead of every mission being a kidnapping, clear an enemy base or wipe out a hoard that spawned inside your walls.

For that matter, if the enemies had to follow a path to get to your encampment, I'd like to intercept them rather than have them drop a super mutant suicider directly on my melon patch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

NofrikinfuN posted:

It would be cool if you could plan routes for your provisioners and get missions to clear out raider blockades or run security for your supply routes instead of every mission being a kidnapping, clear an enemy base or wipe out a hoard that spawned inside your walls.

For that matter, if the enemies had to follow a path to get to your encampment, I'd like to intercept them rather than have them drop a super mutant suicider directly on my melon patch.

:lol: this is a Bethesda game, none of that poo poo will ever happen

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Iron Crowned posted:

*Eagerly awaits another "What we want in Elder Scrolls 6!" Youtube video*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Blimey.

So I requested a refund from Bethesda, and they refused, so I took it up with Paypal, expecting absolutely nothing because Paypal.

I got refunded, apparently because Digital River didn't respond to a request for further information.

Super-loving surprised.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Maybe you shouldn't announce a glitch in the system.

Or Bethesda is secretly trying to kill Paypal.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It's dumb as poo poo, but it was pretty funny watching my Drinking Buddy flamethrower a deathclaw that popped up in the middle of Sanctuary.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Or Bethesda is secretly trying to kill Paypal.

Fallout 76 is secretly a art installation / perfomance art.

'Engraved on the wall is a finely designed image of a videogame. The videogame is burning.'
'The Artwork related to the ascend of the scorchbeast. Everybody in West Virginia is dead'.
'Images of humans are turned statues. The statues are asking for help'.
'Two skeletons are having a hug.'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I hate this thread

Okay, I take it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Nope, announced it. Have at it people. Digital River is dropping the ball.

Now I have the money and Bethesda doesn't. And this is good.