Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You could always do an indoor bonsai, there are plenty of species that do well without ever going outside. Otherwise if you’re thinking about species that need to overwinter I’ve heard of folks buying a spare used fridge and setting it to a warmish (by fridge standards) setting and overwintering trees in there.

In terms of them getting stolen - do you have a second story window you could somehow attach a pot/box to? Rooftop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Indoor bonsai is a bitch and a half and not worth the struggle in my opinion. Sure, you'l have a plant in a pot, but you won't be able to reach the same goals as if that same plant was outside. Have you ever considered a planted tank? Those things kinda scratch the same itch for me.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
For sure, there are plenty of cool plants that can grow inside, try and keep those alive.

Plant in a pot is the smoothest insult for someone's bonsai, I've heard that a few places now

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I was gifted a starter kit is part of it, I have a bunch of other plants indoors and outside my home though.

I think there may be potential in trying to put them on a stand outside one of my windows, thanks for the suggestion.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

T Bowl posted:

I was gifted a starter kit is part of it, I have a bunch of other plants indoors and outside my home though.

I think there may be potential in trying to put them on a stand outside one of my windows, thanks for the suggestion.

What kind of tree is it?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Pham Nuwen posted:

What kind of tree is it?

It was four different types: Rocky Mountain Bristlecone Pine, Black Poui, Norway Spruce, and Flame Tree.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

T Bowl posted:

It was four different types: Rocky Mountain Bristlecone Pine, Black Poui, Norway Spruce, and Flame Tree.

Was it this kit? https://gardeningtoolsonline.co.uk/...ique-gift-idea/

Somebody who knows more than me can probably chime in, but I'd bet money that both the pine and the spruce need a cold period to really grow properly. The other two seem more tropical so they might survive inside if you could get them enough light?

You should check the hardiness zones on the trees vs. where you live, because they'll get to a workable size faster if you put them directly in the ground once they've grown a bit.

I think you're going to end up with a long period of "trees in pots", but personally I think trees in pots are still cool, even if they're not "bonsai". Americans are too eager to hero-worship the guys from Glorious Nippon who refuse to even look at trees under 100 years old.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Pham Nuwen posted:

Was it this kit? https://gardeningtoolsonline.co.uk/...ique-gift-idea/

Somebody who knows more than me can probably chime in, but I'd bet money that both the pine and the spruce need a cold period to really grow properly. The other two seem more tropical so they might survive inside if you could get them enough light?

You should check the hardiness zones on the trees vs. where you live, because they'll get to a workable size faster if you put them directly in the ground once they've grown a bit.

I think you're going to end up with a long period of "trees in pots", but personally I think trees in pots are still cool, even if they're not "bonsai". Americans are too eager to hero-worship the guys from Glorious Nippon who refuse to even look at trees under 100 years old.

Yeah I mean these will take years to be true bonsai trees I know but I keep plants alive more than anyone else I know since I've been into it about a decade (I know it's very trendy right now to keep plants yet most people still suck at caring for them).

That is the kit, yeah. At least one of them seemed like it should be ok indoors but I haven't read too much into it since I was discouraged from this gift anyway knowing petty theft of my previous plant items outside.

I mean someone took a $3 loving watering canister that was pretty well hidden behind some pots for fucks sake.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

In California we repot whenever we feel like it:

Also if you're reading this go get a taxus baccata you fool! The left is the missing rootball where the half of the tree died, the ramen-noodle stuff on the right is all brand new roots it grew since last year. The compacted rootball is all there used to be for roots. These things are effing unkillable.

I don't know why these are sideways, I am apparently too old to function on imgur anymore

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

I'm going to the mammoth auction next weekend, they put up previews of the lots - what looks good goons?

https://bonsailakemerritt.com/mammoth-fundraiser/2018-mammoth-auction-items/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit late but I liked Item No. 002 San Jose Juniper and Item No. 071 Chinese Elm Grove. Did you get anything?

I do have a question. I was recently given some crab apple bonsai seeds. Research suggests that I should sow them in autumn, is that correct? Apparently sixty days before I should put them in the fridge which is no problem. I'm looking forward to see if I can grow some trees.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 11, 2019

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

fuzzy_logic posted:

I'm going to the mammoth auction next weekend, they put up previews of the lots - what looks good goons?

https://bonsailakemerritt.com/mammoth-fundraiser/2018-mammoth-auction-items/

There's a lot there. How much money do you have to spend? Some of these are very clearly Japanese imports for good prices, part of that is probably because they have compromised health. Some of these are trees that I wouldn't mind bidding on, or paying you to bid for me.

Want to make a little bit of money? I'd pay you to purchase and ship a few to me. Utah Juniper #31 has me drooling. Beech #39, JBP #56. Crab apple #86. #102, 107, 105. LMK

Crocoduck fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 13, 2019

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 4, 2023

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
In my experience, auctions are a great place to get a deal. I'd be surprised if you can't get something of unusual quality. I'm looking at my bank account and I might have to bow out, the last couple trees have been kind of a drain (fiancee is ready to check me into a program :P ).

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

The amur maple is mine! Gaze upon my thicc boy:

I could've had the cascade crabapple for 400, but a number of trees from that donor, including the other crab, were found to be dead or dying, and were auctioned for "pot price" only and I didn't want to take the risk. I'm very happy with this guy :) Should I note what some of the others went for or would it break Crocoduck's heart?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Yes please, I'm curious. Nice little amur maple. You know about how to care for them?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

fuzzy_logic posted:

I could've had the cascade crabapple for 400, but a number of trees from that donor, including the other crab, were found to be dead or dying, and were auctioned for "pot price" only and I didn't want to take the risk. I'm very happy with this guy :) Should I note what some of the others went for or would it break Crocoduck's heart?

rip the bandaid off on us all, sweet tree too.

Crocoduck posted:

Yes please, I'm curious. Nice little amur maple. You know about how to care for them?

is it different than other maples? drop some knowledge!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
anyone got advice on weirdo ideas like coconut? Cause I started some coconuts germinating, we'll see if they sprout or not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuzzy_logic posted:

That's very nice and yes, break Crocoduck's heart.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

is it different than other maples? drop some knowledge!

Y'know, to be honest most of the literature I've been exposed to has been on trident and Japanese maples. I'd treat the Amur more like a trident - defoliation multiple times a year, hard pruning, hard root work, etc. but I'd also expect it to be a bit more cold tolerant (could be wrong).

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Crocoduck posted:

Y'know, to be honest most of the literature I've been exposed to has been on trident and Japanese maples. I'd treat the Amur more like a trident - defoliation multiple times a year, hard pruning, hard root work, etc. but I'd also expect it to be a bit more cold tolerant (could be wrong).

Oh good, this is what I'd heard too. The volunteer at the auction also told me it'll leaf out this early every year, and go red and drop leaves early as well. It's from Russia so it's on its own little schedule. It's actually pretty droopy in that picture, being inside at the auction all day stressed the new leaves out, so I took that pic and basically threw it outside in the rai and it's perked up a lot today. Waiting for shoots to harden off before I do anything with it.

So, general impressions from the auction, which was absolutely packed:
- the trees were all way bigger in person than in the photos, I immediately struck 2 from my list for sheer size considerations. The commitee promised to add a reference into the photos next year since apparently I wasn't the only one who was confused
- the most $$$ lot was #015, a massive pomegranate, for $2200, this was also the most aggressive bidding war of the day
- cheapest lot was the ginkgo grove, which went for $90
- the two massive blue atlas cedars were the belles of the ball and each went for about 2 grand after lengthy and exciting bidding. After they went a lot of people left.
- there were a bunch of mid-size black pines that were very healthy and nice but needed work - these all went for between $250-350, I think the purchasers got some really good bargains there.
- the exceptions were the lovely, sickly-looking ones with only a few needles - these went for around $150 and people were very reluctant to bid on them. Any one of them would be a great tree if pulled back from the brink, so good luck to the buyers.
- crabapple #82 made it to the block but the cryer halted bidding to point out it was probably dead, and was about to strike it from the auction but someone asked if they could bid on the pot so bidding went ahead. #086 looked better but was also potentially dead
- people here normally go absolutely bonkers for azaleas (we have a show coming up that is entirely satsuki azaleas) but the 2 here looked kind of sick so people were surprisingly reluctant to bid
- there were a few small root-over-rock tridents that went for around $550 - 800

I had my eye on:
- #022, lumpy space elm clump, went for $400
- #029, little SanJo juniper, also went for $400
- #057, my amur maple, I got it for $450, which is maybe a little high but I was a little miffed after missing my first 2 picks by one bid. The lady I edged out for it was *mad* at me lol
- #086, cascade crabapple, went for $400
so I think my appraisals were dead on! I also really loved #026, the twin trunk CA juniper, that went for $475. Really stunning tree in person. The vast majority of the lots I think went for between $350-650 but that's purely subjective. I badly misjudged the cascade black pine, #091, which I figured wasn't so great but bidding on that started at $500 and it went for nearly a grand.

Crocoduck's picks I made note of (I stepped out for a bit to take a break because auctions are pretty overwhelming tbh):
#031 the Utah beast went for $1400
#039 a big beech went for $500
#056 a nice twin trunk pine went for $500 which I think was really undervalued. It's a really nice tree in person, but the bigger ones attracted fewer bids, I think maybe because of the difficulty in moving them. One club very wisely brought a pickup truck and were strapping their bigger purchases into the back as I left.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Those are some great deals. That beech in particular I should have given you money for. drat. :[

Edit: Man I wish I had $1400. gently caress.

Crocoduck fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 18, 2019

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
drat guys I'm getting excited for spring. Despite the recent snow, Mauro Stemberger and I will be working not this Friday but next Friday on establishing structure for that big RMJ. Will Baddeley will be looping through and doing some carving work with me. Boon Manakitivipart is coming to our local club and I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from him. Every year I think is going to be a banner year, but I'm feeling it this year. Who else is getting serious?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm only really starting out with bonsai but I've been given a young Satsuki Azalea that I'm pretty excited about. Its started to flower and I have a couple of other older trees that I'm looking forward to working with. Later in the year I have some crab apple seeds that I will be planting so I hope there will be some success from those.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

drat guys I'm getting excited for spring. Despite the recent snow, Mauro Stemberger and I will be working not this Friday but next Friday on establishing structure for that big RMJ. Will Baddeley will be looping through and doing some carving work with me. Boon Manakitivipart is coming to our local club and I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from him. Every year I think is going to be a banner year, but I'm feeling it this year. Who else is getting serious?

I mean... I'm super serious about trying to keep my little group alive! But I'm not doing it like you're doing it. I let someone who has been doing it a while hit one of my maples pretty hard at the wrong time so I'll be finding out soon enough if its bouncing back or not. It's a slow learning process but every year I get some more stock and keep having fun with it. I have some killer jades but those dont count haha. What I should really do is get in with a club

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I mean... I'm super serious about trying to keep my little group alive! But I'm not doing it like you're doing it. I let someone who has been doing it a while hit one of my maples pretty hard at the wrong time so I'll be finding out soon enough if its bouncing back or not. It's a slow learning process but every year I get some more stock and keep having fun with it. I have some killer jades but those dont count haha. What I should really do is get in with a club

I'm being a nerd. I've got teaching and bonsai and that's pretty much my life. Getting in a club can be really useful, especially as it can defray the costs of hiring teachers. By the same token some are basically knitting circles of bonsai; you need to find one that doesn't spend much time socializing and focusses on serious work.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I don't know if anyone who posts in here is from the U.K. but does anyone know of a decent place to buy pots? I'm pretty sure I have a tree that needs a new pot.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Repotted 5 trees in 6 hours, including two very stressful yamadori first repots and one very expensive, very old tree with dead air and dead roots in its rootball. Things are good. Everything's healthy. Most have a shitton of roots. We're ready for a decent growing season with a ton to do in the spring, summer, and plenty of trees to style in the fall. Right now though, some of my trees are finished bonsai in their own right, with aesthetically matched pots and largely perfected pads. That's... that's a first for me. Other yamadori have just been styled and found their direction, some have seen some dramatic transformations over the years. Photos tomorrow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I repotted a big box store ficus today that had suffered under glued gravel for eight years.

Considering that, it was in pretty good condition.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

bessantj posted:

I don't know if anyone who posts in here is from the U.K. but does anyone know of a decent place to buy pots? I'm pretty sure I have a tree that needs a new pot.

Not sure how close you are to them but this place ships throughout the UK: https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/

Crocoduck posted:

Repotted 5 trees in 6 hours, including two very stressful yamadori first repots and one very expensive, very old tree with dead air and dead roots in its rootball. Things are good. Everything's healthy. Most have a shitton of roots. We're ready for a decent growing season with a ton to do in the spring, summer, and plenty of trees to style in the fall. Right now though, some of my trees are finished bonsai in their own right, with aesthetically matched pots and largely perfected pads. That's... that's a first for me. Other yamadori have just been styled and found their direction, some have seen some dramatic transformations over the years. Photos tomorrow.

I am VERY EXCITED fr evryone's spring pictures! :peanut: I'm checking my maples literally every day waiting for leaves to open.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Some spring pictures...

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

My bonsai having some fun in the rain

It's came time to water him and the rains were out so I just put him in them. :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuzzy_logic posted:

Not sure how close you are to them but this place ships throughout the UK: https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/

TYVM I'll have a look at it.

Crocoduck posted:

Some spring pictures...

That's such a lovely looking tree.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

bessantj posted:

TYVM I'll have a look at it.

That's such a lovely looking tree.

Worth noting that kaizen bonsai is Graham Potter's website.

Thanks! Really do enjoy the tree.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My lovely little ficus has started growing aerial roots and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I've been keeping the soil slightly dryer than usual but the little mini greenhouse at a near 100% humidity

I'm hoping to make the tree think like
"Need moisture , grow aerial roots!"

Any more tips or ideas?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Looks like the scion is trying to outgrow the host. I'd just let it, then later chop out the tuberous roots on the bottom.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Crocoduck posted:

Looks like the scion is trying to outgrow the host. I'd just let it, then later chop out the tuberous roots on the bottom.

Makes sense, that photo is a touch old and the aerial root production had only increased in that area since, so you are on the money I think. I'll take your advice onboard as he continues to mature.

Said tuberous roots are producing new roots (aerials and soil) aswell , I'm a bit of a happy chappy rn :)

I'm doing a bit of a feature grow with this one and having him drape over a brick. I would like to keep as much of it as possible for the effect

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Depends on where you are located, but basically anything is possible with ficus and time. Good luck!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Crocoduck posted:

Depends on where you are located, but basically anything is possible with ficus and time. Good luck!

He has a little greenhouse at the moment and temperatures don't go below 13c here

Morning sun/mild sun the rest of the day with 100% humidity is fantastic ficus weather

EDIT: I put some curlers in today

Nearly due for a haircut but I'm waiting a little longer, I really want those roots to hit the ground and be less delicate

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

My yew recovered nicely from the repot and looks like it's taking a stab at flowering this year - last time it did that the buds all shriveled and fell off immediately before I could even sex it but it seems to be pushing pollen cones this year so, unfortunately probably male. At least it's finally healthy enough for me to start thinking about how I'm going to style it.