Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

RoastBeef posted:

It's not that long.

I’ve been using Quicksilver to prop up the alarm clock so i don’t knock it off the night stand in the morning.
I tried reading it 5-6 times and always give up at about 3/4.

True story: i found a big, chunky hard cover copy for $10 at a book store long time ago. It was on a shelf, in the corner, all alone, clearly misplaced. Different price tag than every other book there. When i took it to the clerk to check out, she couldn’t find it in the system by manual search. The barcode was unreadable. She didn’t know what to do with it, but eventually sold it as labeled.

I’m still half convinced someone gave up on reading it and dumped it at the book store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GreatPaulSmith/status/1080870548886892544?s=19

Pro-click explanation of how the registration delay/fraud has been used in the past to create a Ponzi scheme and defraud auto company lenders. A plausible explanation for Tesla's 38,000 missing cars.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Over Easy posted:

E-schlong Musk and his electric cock factory

I'm gonna repeat my prior suggestion of "Special Edison"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Short term stock market gains. Seriously

There is a large Chinese middle class that wants western goods and having the "real" versions is a bit of a status symbol so even if your stuff is ripped off theres still a market there for you.

And for tech companies like apple as soon as the fakes are out there there'll be a new thing. Sure its a smaller percentage of the population you're addressing, but the Chinese market is so massive and the market penetration is so tiny that its still worth it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RIP Syndrome posted:

I've been suspecting something like that is happening but the articles I get are just about slowing growth, which, sure why not, Chinese growth was stratospheric to begin with compared to the rest of the world.

Got a quick link to a summary with those numbers and maybe a bit of commentary?

China has an excise tax on expensive consumer goods, including cars, called the "consumption tax." Consumption tax receipts have imploded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-31/china-s-economic-slowdown-is-worsening-stop-dithering-beijing

That's probably not a good sign.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

China has an excise tax on expensive consumer goods, including cars, called the "consumption tax." Consumption tax receipts have imploded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-31/china-s-economic-slowdown-is-worsening-stop-dithering-beijing

for those that didn't click through:

haha

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im the bad case of consumption

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

oystertoadfish posted:

im the bad case of consumption

*weakly coughs blood into a knockoff of a $80 silk hanky*

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
Dude found a lot in Hawthorne. There’s somewhere around 500 cars there apparently. FYI this guy is a pro-follow.

https://twitter.com/latrilife/status/1080931832797908992?s=21

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

There is a large Chinese middle class that wants western goods and having the "real" versions is a bit of a status symbol so even if your stuff is ripped off theres still a market there for you.

And for tech companies like apple as soon as the fakes are out there there'll be a new thing. Sure its a smaller percentage of the population you're addressing, but the Chinese market is so massive and the market penetration is so tiny that its still worth it.

When I worked in the Rhineland, our city had a lovely shopping district that was full with Chinese tourists buying the weirdest kinds of everyday household items as long as they had "made in Germany" on them including steak knives and frying pans.

The shops also had prices written out excluding VAT which is basically unheard of in Germany outside of airports.

Also yes our auto makers are making big bux in China. Also the Chinese actually like our classic engines like BMW I6s, Daimler V8s and for whatever reason the volkswagen VR6. VW was basically ready to seaze producing the VR6 but it sells like cut bread in China. Far east is basically the single market that keeps the VR6 alive at this point. I think VW would be glad if some Chinese sweat shop started making VR6s for them because the engine really became kinda embarrassing to them over the years in comparison to other German or Japanese "performance" Powertrains

Combat Theory has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Jan 4, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Dude found a lot in Hawthorne. There’s somewhere around 500 cars there apparently. FYI this guy is a pro-follow.

https://twitter.com/latrilife/status/1080931832797908992?s=21

extra security for no reason in LA always reminds me of the armenian mafia school and church I was investigating once

drat things were in the middle of little armenia, on like a two lane street, and they had fortified goddamn fences all the way around with big heavy rolling gates, the school one was blastproof and had steel casters set in a track, basically poo poo that only made sense when you had a look at their finances and saw how much medicare fraud money they were not-so-secretly wiring back to yerevan

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I'm gonna repeat my prior suggestion of "Special Edison"

Special Edsel :v:

quote:

Ford invested heavily in a yearlong teaser campaign leading consumers to believe that the Edsel was the car of the future – an expectation it failed to meet. After it was unveiled to the public, it was considered to be unattractive, overpriced, and overhyped. The Edsel never gained popularity with contemporary American car buyers and sold poorly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

red19fire posted:

Special Edsel :v:

oh that's goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Elon Carstark of Carhold.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Agean90 posted:

I remember when I used to work retail that the unthinkable happened and I had a shift with no manager for my department in for like 2 hours. Know what it changed?

Self-important white ladies didn't have anyone to complain to?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol this good

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

When I worked in the Rhineland, our city had a lovely shopping district that was full with Chinese tourists buying the weirdest kinds of everyday household items as long as they had "made in Germany" on them including steak knives and frying pans.

The shops also had prices written out excluding VAT which is basically unheard of in Germany outside of airports.

Also yes our auto makers are making big bux in China. Also the Chinese actually like our classic engines like BMW I6s, Daimler V8s and for whatever reason the volkswagen VR6. VW was basically ready to seaze producing the VR6 but it sells like cut bread in China. Far east is basically the single market that keeps the VR6 alive at this point. I think VW would be glad if some Chinese sweat shop started making VR6s for them because the engine really became kinda embarrassing to them over the years in comparison to other German or Japanese "performance" Powertrains

off topic but as far as I can tell VR6 Golf/GTI/R32s are desirable in the US :shrug:

tho obviously you can’t get it on any new cars here because VW/Audi hates us

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FistEnergy posted:

https://twitter.com/GreatPaulSmith/status/1080870548886892544?s=19

Pro-click explanation of how the registration delay/fraud has been used in the past to create a Ponzi scheme and defraud auto company lenders. A plausible explanation for Tesla's 38,000 missing cars.

So Elon is doing the Jerry Lundegaard fraud from Fargo? Lol

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

This reminds me of the car mechanic simulation game that the McElroy's played, and they didn't bother to read about how to buy parts so they kept repairing one car by taking another car and salvaging air and oil filters out of the next one.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

FAUXTON posted:

Cryptonomicon was a relatively enjoyable WWII story but some rear end in a top hat cut it poker-style page upon page with a real nerdy and cringey story about two dorks (one from a family of tremendously autistic stemlords) wanting to find literal buried axis gold to back a bitcoin bank in some totally-not-the-UAE sultanate.

As a book it was not a terribly enjoyable read but if you could pull the wwii bits out it would be a decent short-hop read.

God that book was loving dreadful. Pages and pages of ubernerd mccomputertoucher eating breakfast cereal, or deciding to go nofap, or obsessing over his magical half-Filipina girlfriend, or recognising how superior conservative philosophy is to the weak cultural marxism that was practised by his bitch of a liberal professor ex-wife who I am absofuckinglutely certain is based on some girl who rejected Stephenson once.

Two loving thirds of a thousand-page book dedicated to a spineless greasy nerd descending back into adolescence. His major character moments come when he shaves his beard, sees a dead body, touches a boob and sets something on fire. It's a coming-of-age story except backwards and loving terrible.

Often Abbreviated has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jan 4, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Nothus posted:

So Elon is doing the Jerry Lundegaard fraud from Fargo? Lol

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Jerry lundegaard forging vins.gif

just gotta dull the pencil enough

gschmidl posted:

Elon Carstark of Carhold.

Loose Bolt-on

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Oh cool, yeah, that's... that's bad.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He's back
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1080963589719056385

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how did he becum so smart/?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Last Chance posted:

how did he becum so smart/?

he did DMT

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Often Abbreviated posted:

God that book was loving dreadful. Pages and pages of ubernerd mccomputertoucher eating breakfast cereal, or deciding to go nofap, or obsessing over his magical half-Filipina girlfriend, or recognising how superior conservative philosophy is to the weak cultural marxism that was practised by his bitch of a liberal professor ex-wife who I am absofuckinglutely certain is based on some girl who rejected Stephenson once.

Two loving thirds of a thousand-page book dedicated to a spineless greasy nerd descending back into adolescence. His major character moments come when he shaves his beard, sees a dead body, touches a boob and sets something on fire. It's a coming-of-age story except backwards and loving terrible.

reverse coming of age story, thats a really good description

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

g'norts, mr alien is how aliens say hello to each other

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Did you guys know that Elon musk spelled backwards is "slavery rules"?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: eLON mUSK is STUPID PROOOOF!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Musk spelled backwards is scum.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:cripes:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
There's a druggie in pissed pants that always stumbles around behind a nearby supermarket.
He also sees reality in a fundamentally different way.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

orcinus posted:

There's a druggie in pissed pants that always stumbles around behind a nearby supermarket.
He also sees reality in a fundamentally different way.

That was all of us

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

guys elon is feuding with azealia banks again

https://mobile.twitter.com/cruciblecap/status/1081291114118873088/photo/1

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I see the reality in a radically different way where every open ¨space is a guillotining spot waiting to be realized, yet no venture capitalists are giving me money, they seem to be focused on the people whose radical vision is based around tax evasion and stock fraud, I wonder why :thunk:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Liberals: You progressives need to be more pragmatic and closer to the mainstream if you hope to win, get a grip on reality and get in line with the rest of us.
Also liberals: The system rewards those who dare to dream and cast away conventional barriers to progress.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
heh, “liberals” amirite

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

heh, “liberals” amirite

Yeah, they suck.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

heh, “liberals” amirite

Why did you put the word "liberals" in scarequotes?

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not saying it doesn't apply, actually the opposite- it applies too broadly to virtually any movement or ideology wherein there is a progressive element (and that's a lot of them- not necessarily political parties but ways of thinking and being). To single out the liberal aspect of doing to me feels kind of pointless in this, the Tesla thread- Elon Musk is an out-of-touch oligarch enabled by pro-business forces that exist counter to most liberal ideology rather than in favor of it. :can:

Anyway,

is a great own