Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone else having some issues with cricket and mms? I did a firmware update, and now I can't send or receive mms.

This has completely killed my dick pic game :saddowns:

I hate that I can't remember the fix, but yeah it's something with the APN. I think they were actually having DNS issues with their network vs home wifi.

I can't remember the process. But if I was at home and it wasn't working, I connected to my wifi... THEN sent it and it worked. Then, when I turned wifi back off (or left the house and automatically connected) it would keep working.

Or maybe it was the opposite? Eek. Try either way.

Different Question!

Speaking of Cricket. Something has happened to ATT coverage in my neighborhood and all of my neighbors and I all of a sudden don't get dick for coverage. In fact most of us have only one or two spots in our home where the signal isn't completely dead. It's very weird.

We're in C Spire's hometown and they just installed their fiber in our neighborhood (completely wrecking my yard but that's a different story) ... that was the same time that all of our ATT coverage poo poo the bed.

Conspiracy or not, I think I'm going to switch to Verizon pre-paid. They don't have a "Cricket" do they? AKA Pre-paid service owned by Verizon but different name? I skimmed the OP but wanted to make sure it was up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They don't have a separate prepaid service but do offer prepaid options themselves. Most if not all Verizon mvnos are called at 5mbps down as well

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Blue Train posted:

They don't have a separate prepaid service but do offer prepaid options themselves. Most if not all Verizon mvnos are called at 5mbps down as well

Yeah their pre-paid is too expensive for me. Guess I'll deal with Cricket's lovely service at my house.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I hate that I can't remember the fix, but yeah it's something with the APN. I think they were actually having DNS issues with their network vs home wifi.

I can't remember the process. But if I was at home and it wasn't working, I connected to my wifi... THEN sent it and it worked. Then, when I turned wifi back off (or left the house and automatically connected) it would keep working.

Different Question!

Speaking of Cricket. Something has happened to ATT coverage in my neighborhood and all of my neighbors and I all of a sudden don't get dick for coverage. In fact most of us have only one or two spots in our home where the signal isn't completely dead. It's very weird.

We're in C Spire's hometown and they just installed their fiber in our neighborhood (completely wrecking my yard but that's a different story) ... that was the same time that all of our ATT coverage poo poo the bed.

Conspiracy or not, I think I'm going to switch to Verizon pre-paid. They don't have a "Cricket" do they? AKA Pre-paid service owned by Verizon but different name? I skimmed the OP but wanted to make sure it was up to date.

They have some MVNO but none offer unlimmited data to my recollection. The most well known is Red Rocket.

https://bestmvno.com/compare/verizon-mvnos/

NOTE: You can't just bring a normal phone and use it on Verizon MVNO like you can ATT and TMo. Only some phone will work on Verizon MVNO.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Actually I just called up Cricket and they gave me some new APN settings to try... so hopefully that works out!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Lol actually their new settings broke my phone even further. MMS doesn't work and cell signal is even weaker.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Different Question!

If you have a 3G phone maybe you’re just running into some early shutdown and paring of those things ?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
everyone around me (in new england) has complained of their AT&T coverage going to poo poo over the course of the year. I feel like my coverage has been getting worse in places that I used to get solid signal on prepaid AT&T, but I can't say for sure.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Partycat posted:

If you have a 3G phone maybe you’re just running into some early shutdown and paring of those things ?

No it's a moto 5G Plus. 4G LTE.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We just got into AT&T this year so I can't day if it's getting worse. But there are a couple of small towns nearby where if I'm streaming radio or something while driving through them, it drops off for a while. I live out in a rural area and I usually have 4-5 bars, but in these two towns it's bad and I have no idea why.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I can't even break 1mbps on at&t prepaid unlimited anymore

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dunno if this is a Cricket thing or an Android Pie thing, but visual voicemail isn't downloading new voicemail and when I manually tell it to refresh, it just flashes "no connectivity" really rapidly at the bottom of the screen.

Anyone else having issues?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Stevie Lee posted:

I can't even break 1mbps on at&t prepaid unlimited anymore

AT&T Prepaid Unlimited is capped at 3mbps anyway. Their limited Prepaid plans are not capped. I do the 6 GB plan since I only use about 3-4 gb a month and the unused data rolls over. At night I can get over 100 mbps.

Also for comparison, Cricket is capped at about 8-10 mbps.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the unlimited $55 (after autopay discount) plan is definitely not capped at 3Mbps...this is what I got just now:

my speeds were closer to 40Mbps on average last year. I'm thinking it may be it's just a summer network congestion thing that kills my bandwidth in favor of postpaid customers though...I do live in a very touristy summer city.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Interesting. I’m about 90% sure it used to be capped at 3 mbps but they only told you this in the fine print. They recently increased the $40 with autopay plan from 6GB to 8GB and increased the non-autopay price from $45 to $50 so it looks like they restructure everything.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Cricket added a wifi manager in their app, turned on by default. Totally boned my wifi. It would disconnect constantly from it. I even factory reset my phone and it seemed to fix it, until the app reinstalled.

I was about to buy a new phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I saw that in the update notes a while ago. I didn't trust Google managing my Wi-Fi when I had Project Fi, I'm not going to trust loving Cricket. Just gimme the data I'm paying for, thanks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TLG James posted:

Cricket added a wifi manager in their app, turned on by default. Totally boned my wifi. It would disconnect constantly from it. I even factory reset my phone and it seemed to fix it, until the app reinstalled.

What app?

Edit: the mycricket app. Thanks! Our WiFi has been acting up on our phones lately. I wonder if that was why? Either way we turned it off to see!

Also my app says my account had to be reset for security reasons and I had to setup new user/pass. What happened there? Cricket security breach?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 25, 2018

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

TLG James posted:

Is this Android only? I don't see it in the iOS app.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
iOS apps aren't allowed to gently caress with your wifi.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Can I activate a prepaid cricket phone on an existing account?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MetroPCS is becoming Metro by T-Mobile and they've got new plans and things!

Yep, the 60 dollar a month plan includes 100GB of Google storage, Amazon Prime, 15GB of mobile hotspot and 35GB of high speed data. Video streaming seems to be capped at 480p which is kind of poo poo. Maybe this will spur Cricket to enhance their plans.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But the difference in price between the $50 plan and the $60 plan is the exact price (well, within a dollar per year) of a prime membership. So it could be read as “buy our $50 plan and a Prime membership and get 10GB more hotspot data”.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But the difference in price between the $50 plan and the $60 plan is the exact price (well, within a dollar per year) of a prime membership. So it could be read as “buy our $50 plan and a Prime membership and get 10GB more hotspot data”.

I could see the extra being worth it when you're talking about 2+ lines. Data limits aren't shared between lines, right?

I just went through an interesting time with Red Pocket - I tried to port my number to them in July. The port didn't go through, but they never contacted me about it. I was going on vacation for a couple weeks so didn't follow up with them. Then a while later I gave them the missing information to complete the port. It ported my number out of AT&T, but it never activated on my SIM - on Red Pocket's side it was listed as a cancelled port (due to taking too long). After like a week hearing nothing from them and many hours chatting with customer service (and calling AT&T and Verizon) I got them to activate my plan on a different SIM so I'd at least have phone service while they tried to track down what happened to the number.

But surprisingly Red Pocket actually came through and activated the number that I was sure I'd never see again. Their customer service isn't terrible for simple requests - the main problem was that I had to contact them if I wanted to know what was going on - they didn't contact me at all until a week after my second port attempt.

I've had the same phone # for 20+ years, maybe I should just port it to Google Voice if switching between carriers is always going to be this much of a pain.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Someone on Android Police said Amazon will credit people that already paid for Prime and switch to this new Metro plan. Not sure how true that is. I think looking at strictly 60 dollar unlimited pre-paid plans, this has a lot more going for it compared to Crickets $60 unlimited plan (mainly 120 dollars in Prime savings and a mobile hotspot).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m not trying to speak ill of the plan, it just seems kind of odd to me.

Basically I looked at the chart and realized it would be the same from the customers' standpoint if there was no $60 plan and the $50 plan said “5GB hotspot (15 GB for Amazon Prime members)”.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I would switch to it in a heartbeat just to get my prime reimbursed by work since they cover my phone, but t-mobile network is lovely here :(.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I saw that in the update notes a while ago. I didn't trust Google managing my Wi-Fi when I had Project Fi, I'm not going to trust loving Cricket. Just gimme the data I'm paying for, thanks.

For people like me who were paranoid about this from a long time ago. Project Fi added automatic VPN upon connecting to unsecured networks before it starts sending data. So if that was your concern, it is handled now.

BonoMan posted:

Actually I just called up Cricket and they gave me some new APN settings to try... so hopefully that works out!

There have been a couple of times in Cricket's history where they hosed up APN settings. If your connection starts to suck, Google for what the latest APN settings are. I had this happen once years ago.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mint just upped the data on their plans to 3GB / 8GB / 12GB for $15 / 20 / 25 per month annual or $20 / 25 / 35 biannual

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thats a steal. Too bad tmobile is crap in my area :( Though at $20 less for 10gb what I'm paying for 8, I might give them another chance.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boogalo posted:

Too bad tmobile is crap in my area

How long has it been since you last tried them? They've been aggressively expanding their network over the last year or so, you might find they have better coverage now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

:agreed:

I hopped on Mint once Tmo added band 12 in my area and now I get 4 bars in the parts of my building where the verizon slobs get no coverage.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If their international roaming wasn't so convoluted, I'd switch to Mint from Ting

quote:

Staying connected while exploring the world just got super F*!ing easy! (We said “Foxing.”) All Mint Mobile accounts now include International Roaming capability!

The first step is to add money to your International Roaming balance with UpRoam. UpRoam allows Mint Mobile subscribers to add money to their International Roaming balance in amounts of $5, $10 or $20 at a time. Subscribers can UpRoam by logging into their account online, or by texting “UPROAM” to 6700 from their Mint Mobile phone.

Once you’ve added money to your International Roaming balance, you’ll pay just $0.05 to send an SMS text message from outside of the US, just $0.25 cents per minute to make and receive calls while roaming internationally, and $0.20 per MB of data. (Receiving SMS text messages is free while roaming internationally.) Unused International Roaming balances carry over from month to month and never expire!

yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh no

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
You get free 2G speed roaming from Sprint if you sign up for their free one year deal FYI.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sprint lol

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Random trip report for anyone it might help:

My wife just switched from Verizon contract to the prepaid world. Monthly bill went from over $100 to more like $30. Laughing all the way to the bank. Her mind was blown that she can finally delete the NFL app she's been hating for years.

Google Fi - Average bill for 1 line @ 2GB or so: $50/mo.

In a year of use I'd be hard-pressed to tell you how the network coverage is much different from AT&T aside from the moments when the phone is switching networks. On a road trip sometimes Verizon would make it a few extra miles into the boonies but there's currently a massive lawsuit about Verizon failing to provide promised coverage to the boonies so I guess I can confirm that too? Anyway, I went to a couple countries in Europe and all I had to do was wait a few minutes for my phone to realize where it was. For an international traveler in Fi-covered Zones, Fi might be the coolest carrier going.

Google Fi is a nicely mature service now, and with the MotoX4 Android One as a "budget" option (honestly I hate Google's phone anyway) this is a really strong competitor in the market. Being able to use Hangouts for Calls, SMS, and Chat is absolutely amazing. Hangouts lets you get and send SMS right in Gmail. Google is also sunsetting Hangouts as part of their plan to enhance Messages, but Messages doesn't do this yet. Right now Literally Everyone is still using Hangouts, and there is some fear they could kill most people's favorite feature accidentally. Something to watch out for... but then again since no other carrier does this to begin with most people aren't comparison shopping here anyway. If you're not in the right international zone and/or you're not confident Google's going to work this out, Fi might still be way cheaper than the big contract carriers, but it has still competition in MVNO-land.

Cricket - Bill for 2 lines w/ 5GB: $65

My wife really wanted the OnePlus6T, which despite being dual-SIM isn't on Fi's list so I said screw it we'll go back to Cricket and save money anyway. Absolutely still my favorite budget carrier, and OnePlus apparently finally fixed most of the software bugs that were keeping me away so I think I found my next phone. We're getting 2 lines for way less than what Fi would cost using the same data. We both went with the 5GB plan because eff their throttled "unlimited" plans so hard. Cricket/AT&T's coverage is still more than adequate in most areas, speed was fine and I just did a 3-hour walk across town using YouTube as a podcast (screen off reduces data when you have Google Music w/ free Youtube Red). Zero interruptions. 100% happy with Cricket again.

The only issue we had: When we signed up online, Cricket asks for the IMEI number BEFORE you can purchase a SIM. This is Real Dumb. My wife had just ordered her phone so I wanted her SIM to arrive at the same time. You cannot order a blank SIM online and must talk to the chat people to shake it out of them - and the SIMs in stores are often out-of-date versions so getting online is a better idea. I went ahead and used my IMEI for both lines. My phone activated fine, but my wife's wouldn't quite finish the process. This resulted in having to call the service line and we got a Spanish-speaking guy who kept muttering "OH MY GOD" looking over our order. But inside of ten minutes- including a reboot and callback- her service was fully functional. Way better service than I've ever gotten with another carrier. Kudos to Cricket for apparently fixing what used to be a weak spot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revwinnebago posted:

My wife really wanted the OnePlus6T, which despite being dual-SIM isn't on Fi's list so I said screw it we'll go back to Cricket and save money anyway.

Fi just recently opened up BYOD, and FWIW you've pretty much always been able to do so if you're willing to put up with a few functions not working correctly (MMS and VVM didn't work for the longest time) providing you had a Fi-approved phone to activate your SIM on. I've been on Fi with a Oneplus 3T since January of last year.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 7, 2019

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Isn't the smart network switching one of the things that doesn't work with unapproved phones? Those fi prices are still stupid high imo also

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Isn't the smart network switching one of the things that doesn't work with unapproved phones? Those fi prices are still stupid high imo also

Yes, only the original phones can easily switch networks quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Blue Train posted:

Fi pricing is $20 for unlimited calls and texts and $10/GB for data. My monthly bills are usually around $25 because I'm on wifi pretty often. If you go over 6GB of data it caps there so you'll never have a bill over $80 (unless you're paying off a phone, which google will let you do without fees or interest for 24 months usually). There's also an optional phone protection for $7/mo which covers phone issues, including breaking it (although I think there's a $99 replacement fee or something, I forget the details). For me it's one of the better phone service deals because Sprint and T-Mobile are both good in my area. I've also been on US Cellular during long road trips but I forget which state I was in. Somewhere between TX and PA.

There's options for a data sim for your tablet or a family plan thing now, too, but I don't think the family plan saves much money.

There's a dedicated Project Fi thread.