Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Once Upon a Time In Mexico is definitely my least favourite of the movies I’ve seen with titles that begin “Once Upon a Time in...”.

Desperado is still pretty good but OUATIM has too much Johnny Depp and too little Antonio Banderas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

OUATIM is so bland people forget Willem Dafoe plays a Mexican general in it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if they're going for a soft reboot of the Transformers movies since it turns out people like the robots and not the fart jokes. Sounds like Bumblebee is more of what Spielberg actually had in mind for the first movie being about 'a boy and his car'.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if they're going for a soft reboot of the Transformers movies since it turns out people like the robots and not the fart jokes. Sounds like Bumblebee is more of what Spielberg actually had in mind for the first movie being about 'a boy and his car'.

Bumblebee had literally the weakest opening of any live-action Transformer movie, people loving love fart jokes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Haha I forgot sin City 2 even existed, or for some reason thought it was directed by Frank Miller

There were three good things about Sin City 2:

1) The storyline with Joseph Gordon-Levitt (including a good cameo from Christopher Lloyd)
2) Eva Green
3) Powers Boothe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I just remembered frank miller directed the spirit

My favorite review of The Spirit was from my dad, who summed it up by saying, "The only way it could have been worse was if it was longer."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of, there was a supposed plot leak for Frozen 2 where Elsa was now a wealthy businesswoman. It was ridiculous enough that I can believe it was true.

She corners the pre-refridgeration market to monopolize Big Ice.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Bumblebee had literally the weakest opening of any live-action Transformer movie, people loving love fart jokes.

It’s not so much that as it is they chose the absolute worst loving time possible to release it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vandar posted:

It’s not so much that as it is they chose the absolute worst loving time possible to release it.

After five previous movies were really bad

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I don't think Disney would go all-in on an IP that replies so much on stuff that they don't actually own rather than just creating their own crossover event. Them splitting Spider-Man with Sony is probably the closest comparison and that's just a single character with a very clear division of ownership, so much of KH is based on Square-Enix's properties and the way the brand has only further diluted as each sequel packs in more and more original anime bullshit has basically self-sabotaged its original simple crossover appeal of "cute idiot child goes on a magic Disney adventure" in favor of a sprawling incomprehensible mythology that just happens to have Disney in the periphery.

IIRC the reason why the series has devolved into "Square-Enix OC Anime bullshit guest starring a bunch of Disney cameos" was because any dialogue or characterization changes to the Disney characters in KH1 was so heavily vetted and debated by Disney execs that they decided to just cut them as much out of the plot as possible.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fart City posted:

OUATIM is so bland people forget Willem Dafoe plays a Mexican general in it

I remembered Enrique Iglesias had a flamethrower in his guitar case

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

After five previous movies were really bad

No one gives a poo poo about Transformers or whether or not they're bad.

Bumblebee did look kinda pointless and lame, though. As SMG pointed out in the Transformers thread, part of the problem is that, it's a Bumblebee movie called Bumblebee. Nobody gives a poo poo about Bumblebee, and "Bumblebee" is a terrible title that inspires nothing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

A psychic paedo priest at the start, gay Russian head transplants at the end, and I have no memory whatsoever of how those two things were connected by the rest of the movie.

One of the gay Russians raped the priest when he was a child and caused him to catch the Gay. Way to signal booster that bigoted crap, Chris Carter.

gently caress that movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Bumblebee did look kinda pointless and lame, though. As SMG pointed out in the Transformers thread, part of the problem is that, it's a Bumblebee movie called Bumblebee. Nobody gives a poo poo about Bumblebee, and "Bumblebee" is a terrible title that inspires nothing.

I can only speak for myself personally but I know I didn't see it, despite being a TF fan, a Laika fan, and a John Cena fan, just because I care that little about Bumblebee. Dude's seriously probably my least favorite Transformer.

If they'd made a Grimlock movie, though...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If they'd made a Grimlock movie, though...

Grimlock was my favorite

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

There were three good things about Sin City 2:

1) The storyline with Joseph Gordon-Levitt (including a good cameo from Christopher Lloyd)
2) Eva Green
3) Powers Boothe

I was going to make this exact same post. I couldn't believe how bad the movie was and on top of that, how bad it look compared to the first one.

EXCEPT for Joseph Gordon-Levitt's story, there's one part where he gets knocked out and wakes up in a car, and I love how he's knocked out and his figure being knocked out spins and segues into a spinning hubcap, like the movie just visually clicked and was really cool for that one moment.

I wonder if there'll ever be another Sin City movie attempt like now that Into the Spider-Verse is awesome it will probably make for a few studios attempting a less traditional look for their movie? I mean I guess that sounds weird since Sin City 2 is so blah looking in comparison to the original but the original really does look great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

Well you see, SMG is a loving idiot and has been for years. Bumblebee is absolutely better than all the hack poo poo Michael Bay cooked up, and its simplistic title doesn't negate that.

What would you rather it be called? Transformers: Bumblebee's Journey? That would be worse lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The BumbleBee Movie

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well you see, SMG is a loving idiot and has been for years.

SMG is stupid because... they claimed that no one cares about Bumblebee?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My wife tells me that Bumblebee is literally a girl and her horse movie, but with a transformer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Transformers Origins: Bumblebee

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Bumblebee Movie but every time they say bumblebee you see someone's rear end and somebody soils their pants

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 4, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I was on a high school trip to Mexico when my class ended up in this tiny town where they were filming Once Upon A Time In Mexico. One night I ran into a drunk af Danny Trejo in some back alley with a couple women hanging off his arms. I had no idea how tiny he was irl.

anyway thats my OUATIM story

Edit: drat, I also had no idea he was 74 :o

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 4, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hey now, don’t blame Michael Bay’s Transformers for Bumblebee sucking at the box office. Don’t make some kind of link happen.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bumblebee failed because, surprise, despite what a vocal minority of nerds insist, the viciously nihilistic and fetishistically violent parts were what people actually liked about Transformers all along.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The BumbleBee Movie

SMG is stupid because... they claimed that no one cares about Bumblebee?
No, SMG is stupid for presenting like they're this hyperintelligent film analyst, and even though the majority of their posts are ill-conceived schemes, several people on this forum believe them no matter what.

SMG is basically the L. Ron Hubbard of Something Awful

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here’s his secret, he provides food for thought that’s interesting and conducive for discussion and even when everyone knows how silly and outlandish it all is it doesn’t matter cause butthurt fanboys want to fight and SMG is still more insightful and contributes more than what fanboys who take it personal can provide.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
SMG doesn’t “present” as anything. Other than a chatbot.

It’s definitely way more weird that you compare people liking different movies than you to a cult.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

No, SMG is stupid for presenting like they're this hyperintelligent film analyst, and even though the majority of their posts are ill-conceived schemes, several people on this forum believe them no matter what.

Weird thoughts

Well you see, SMG is a loving idiot and has been for years. Bumblebee is absolutely better than all the hack poo poo Michael Bay cooked up, and its simplistic title doesn't negate that.

What would you rather it be called? Transformers: Bumblebee's Journey? That would be worse lol

Let's just take for granted for a second that Bumblebee is better than Bayformers 1-5.

People still don't give a poo poo about Bumblebee.

I do not care what Bumblebee is called. I don't give a poo poo about Bumblebee.

See how this works?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

marshmallow creep posted:

My wife tells me that Bumblebee is literally a girl and her horse movie, but with a transformer.

So, The Love Bug?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

That still doesn't mean that people care about Bumblebee.

Imagine someone making an CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movie about a robot. And that movie is titled after its metallic protagonist, Ladybug.

And then try to think about how that would go over people who like CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Imagine someone making an CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movie about a robot. And that movie is titled after its metallic protagonist, Ladybug.

And then try to think about how that would go over people who like CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movies.

Isn't this what Alita will be? She's a robotic protagonist of a CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movie

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

look look look

Did they at least get a tie-in promotion with the tuna brand

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tars Tarkas posted:

Isn't this what Alita will be? She's a robotic protagonist of a CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movie

That's risky, but it's not Bumblebee.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just name it Marvel's Bumblebee

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Just name it Marvel's Bumblebee

Bumblebee Vs. Predator

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Alita can, like, talk like a human instead of playing convenient radio snippets

Bumblebee is honest-to-God barely a character in the Transformers movies

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Bumblebee is honest-to-God barely a character in the Transformers movies

Hard disagree.

He’s the Yellow One.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

Let's just take for granted for a second that Bumblebee is better than Bayformers 1-5.

People still don't give a poo poo about Bumblebee.

I do not care what Bumblebee is called. I don't give a poo poo about Bumblebee.

See how this works?
You're just not in the target demographic then.

There was a light-up standee for Bumblebee in one of my local AMC theaters for months before the movie came out, and just about every time I went and saw a movie there, there were kids posing in front of it and parents taking their pictures.

Then when I saw it, it was an advanced screening like two weeks before the movie actually came out and the theater was sold out and it was mostly kids with their parents. Kids were cheering during it.

People give a poo poo about Bumblebee, it's just you don't.

I mean it would depend on how it looks, who's in it, who's directing, etc.

People who are familiar with Transformers (so literally millions upon millions of people) already know who Bumblebee is. And kids who were too young for Transformers or whatever probably know Hailee Steinfeld from the Pitch Perfect movies or her music career.

The movie has something for lots of different people, whether they give it a chance or not.

I wasn't even planning on giving it a chance because I hated Bay's Transformers movies, but I did and I'm glad I did because it was better than all of those.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bumblebee (the film) basically makes Bumblebee ET, who also couldn't talk and was barely a character, and it works really well

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh wait, this wasn't another 200-million monstrosity, I think it has a chance.

I wasn't even planning on giving it a chance because I hated Bay's Transformers movies, but I did and I'm glad I did because it was better than all of those.

What specifically is better about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Why is the idea that a movie's title could effect its performance at the box office breaking your brain this much.